Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Back when I tried Life in the Ruins I liked it quite a lot, though that was over a year ago and I don't know what it's like presently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
One of the nicer parts of Life in Ruins was the framework for unique uniques.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

And as I continue to piecemeal mod the game more than I play it I ask, any suggestions on a mod for textures for enemies?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I'm running the Welcome to Paradise mod pack, is there any mod I can add on top of that, that adds more options for weapon customization?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Could I get some opinions on Life in the Ruins from folks who've played it? It looks interesting but I'd like to hear about how it plays before downloading.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I been downloading it for three days I'm at 1026 now out of 1030

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Relyssa posted:

Could I get some opinions on Life in the Ruins from folks who've played it? It looks interesting but I'd like to hear about how it plays before downloading.

This guy has modlist overviews for Fallout/Skyrim.

This is for Life in the Ruins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CDcWPx_DCI

And the rest of them:
https://youtube.com/@DroppedIceCreamMods/search?query=modlist

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
are there any good mods that hand-place unique weapons and armour around the map scavanger-hunt style? i like the idea of Some Assembly Required and Unique Uniques but more scavanger hunt based, and more interesting than just 'it's a hunting rifle with a plasma gun body and it does fire damage'. and yes i am back here because of tv

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Which mod/s is the best analogue to Requiem for Skyrim with an unlevelled world, hardcore gameplay mechanics and punchy, fast combat?

I've been thinking that Horizon seems like the closest in some regards but it doesn't really unlevel NPCs or make combat more hard-hitting. It's pretty good at the survival/settlement stuff, but not at what makes Requiem so good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did an update for Fallout 4 give it a gigantic upper limit on esp files? It feels like every other mod as simple as a retexture comes with an esp and then you go into overhaul mods and there's 5 pages in the FOMOD installer dedicated to just compatibility patches.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Are they light flagged?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Corsec posted:

Which mod/s is the best analogue to Requiem for Skyrim with an unlevelled world, hardcore gameplay mechanics and punchy, fast combat?

I've been thinking that Horizon seems like the closest in some regards but it doesn't really unlevel NPCs or make combat more hard-hitting. It's pretty good at the survival/settlement stuff, but not at what makes Requiem so good.

Zodium posted:

better locational damage, no health scaling and panpc is the ideal combat experience. better power armor redux for power armor. think zzyxzz (bld/bpar) is back on nexus but panpc is still only available via greslins discord.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
requiem for skyrim was a complete all-in-one package. The closest equivalent to that is Horizon for Fallout 4.
That being said what zodium said is a pretty decent 90% working system that lets you add things like Munitions etc without screwing with balance too much. I even go ahead and add the perks from True Damage because the combat is far less bulletspongey.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Thanks for the recommendations. The modpage for True Damage says there are lots of bugs, like screwing up creature melee damage. Has anyone had experience with that mod? Is it recommended to only use the perk module from True Damage?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I stopped using true damage the moment zzxxyyzz came out with the health scaling stat remover. Its an engine level rebalancing effort that doesn't have to deal with extraneous bullshit and even preserves some of the game's vanilla balance to boot.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

I stopped using true damage the moment zzxxyyzz came out with the health scaling stat remover. Its an engine level rebalancing effort that doesn't have to deal with extraneous bullshit and even preserves some of the game's vanilla balance to boot.

Which health scaling stat remover mod is that? I had bookmarked SCOURGE as the mod to do that, but I'd be interested if there is a better option. I assumed that the vanilla combat balancing was something that would need to be modded, since this *is* a Bethesda game.

Is there something for hardcore loot scarcity that is also compatible with the recommended mods?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

zzyxzz ftw.

don't sleep on bpar either, it makes power armor feel as powerful as it looks by turning it into plating that needs to be destroyed before the wearer takes damage. also makes running into power armored enemies absolutely terrifying until you get bigger guns. pairs well with some assembly required so it's actually rare.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Zodium posted:

zzyxzz ftw.

don't sleep on bpar either, it makes power armor feel as powerful as it looks by turning it into plating that needs to be destroyed before the wearer takes damage. also makes running into power armored enemies absolutely terrifying until you get bigger guns. pairs well with some assembly required so it's actually rare.

I think I paired those two my last run - was awesome

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah, I accidentally went the opposite way and paired that PA rebalance with Power Armor to the People. :lol: :lmao:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Did an update for Fallout 4 give it a gigantic upper limit on esp files? It feels like every other mod as simple as a retexture comes with an esp and then you go into overhaul mods and there's 5 pages in the FOMOD installer dedicated to just compatibility patches.

Mod files can be ESL flagged which makes them not count towards the limit. The vast majority of compatibility patches are able to be flagged this way and if the mod author is even remotely on the ball they will have done this.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

Relyssa posted:

I've been playing with it for a couple of days now and I really enjoy it. It's built with Survival difficulty in mind but it's not stupidly punishing.

Definitely read the readme carefully. It'll make the mod pack much less system taxing and will offer some great tips on what you can expect.

The SS2 integration is really well done and thus far I've not run into any issues in 20 odd hours of playtime.

I did pop in the Full Dialogue Interface mod from Nexus because I hate the vanilla dialogue obtuseness.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Corzen posted:

I've been playing with it for a couple of days now and I really enjoy it. It's built with Survival difficulty in mind but it's not stupidly punishing.

Definitely read the readme carefully. It'll make the mod pack much less system taxing and will offer some great tips on what you can expect.

The SS2 integration is really well done and thus far I've not run into any issues in 20 odd hours of playtime.

I did pop in the Full Dialogue Interface mod from Nexus because I hate the vanilla dialogue obtuseness.

Good stuff, thanks! I don't like survival and tend to play on Normal because I am a casual baby, would it still be a good time?

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Azhais posted:

I doubt that was the issue for the problem I was hitting anyway. The gun damage was fine, like you'd bump into 4 dogs and 3 would die in a shot but the last would be an unkillable juggernaut. If you opened the console and did the "getav health" (or whatever it is, I can never remember the console commands without looking them up every time) the 3 dogs would have a normal 100 hp or whatever, and the fourth would have thousands and thousands. I was doing full damage to it, you just couldn't tell because it had so much health.

if all this is happening around early game sanctuary then it's could be scourge ( https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/60917 ) causing their stats to go haywire when you level up. if Scaling Flag Remover ( https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/73976 ) isn't listed in the left pane of mod organizer, probably in the f4se section if it has one, then adding it might solve your issue.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

Relyssa posted:

Good stuff, thanks! I don't like survival and tend to play on Normal because I am a casual baby, would it still be a good time?

You're probably better off with the Welcome to Paradise mod pack. It's not based on Survival mode, it is a much more lightweight install, and has plenty of room for customization.

However, you can disable or turn down a lot of the Survival mode slog for the Life in the Ruins mod pack. You can easily make it more casual without making it boringly easy or a boring slog.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Figured out what was causing my invisible weapons and it was a weapons overhaul mod. It was too late to go back so that playthrough got scrapped.

Thank God for that quickstart save file.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

SO. After removing any mods at all, my hands remain all hosed up. Reinstall... running nothing, hands hosed up. oh a bunch of stuff just stays when your uninstall. great.

SECOND reinstall today

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
generally breaks your save to remove any mod after starting, yeah

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

it was happening on fresh games so something was hiding from some ancient mod I installed I guess.

After uninstalling and deleting everything that was left over things are working at least vanilla in the new install.

Will muck about further another day.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are the Armorsmith Extended and the Armour and Weapon Keywords mods still recommended? Last time I tried them it felt like they were getting pretty hefty on feature bloat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No they've fallen into disfavor, the current alternative is called EOS I think (will check and link it shortly)

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Arc Hammer posted:

Are the Armorsmith Extended and the Armour and Weapon Keywords mods still recommended? Last time I tried them it felt like they were getting pretty hefty on feature bloat.

AWKCR is so bloated that mods that used to require it have patches to no longer require it

I prefer the 'deprecated' version of Equipment Crafting Overhaul (ECO). There are new versions of it, but it seems to require other mods (Legendary Effect Overhaul, New Equipment Overhaul) Maybe it's just me, and I'm dumb. But the OG ECO just works. I feel like the mod creator went too far.

Dr.Smasher fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 22, 2024

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Flesh Forge posted:

No they've fallen into disfavor, the current alternative is called EOS I think (will check and link it shortly)

Equipment and Crafting Overhaul (ECO) I think, unless there's some newer hotness.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You're right it's ECO

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does it play nice with weapon mods like Munitions?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/67679
Been using it for a couple of years now, with the aforementioned ancillary mods (2LM, legendary modification plus a bit)

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4042
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13864

Been using it with The6thMessenger's various weapon overhaul mods and it's worked fine. A big gimmick of ECO is that it allows you to take a very wide variety of vanilla and 3rd party mod items and add ECO's features onto them, which lets you tune all sorts of stats, show/hide, and things like add a basic legendary slot on an item if it didn't have one for some reason. It doesn't work on every wearable/equippable but it works on a whole lot. One of these mods I'm linking (I forget exactly which) allows you to craft items that accept 2 legendary modifications, with a bunch of caveats. Generally works pretty cleanly.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Corzen posted:

You're probably better off with the Welcome to Paradise mod pack. It's not based on Survival mode, it is a much more lightweight install, and has plenty of room for customization.

However, you can disable or turn down a lot of the Survival mode slog for the Life in the Ruins mod pack. You can easily make it more casual without making it boringly easy or a boring slog.

Good to know, I'll have a peek at those.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

it was happening on fresh games so something was hiding from some ancient mod I installed I guess.

After uninstalling and deleting everything that was left over things are working at least vanilla in the new install.

Will muck about further another day.

You can try the ReSaver program to clean your save game and depending on the mods you removed you might get to play that save still. But it's always going to be sort of hosed in mysterious ways that will not be instantly obvious.

Generally it will be gameplay modifications or other stuff with a lot of scripts that breaks a save if you remove it. Disabling clothes or guns, things like that won't be a problem and you can just jank them out again in my experience.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22633/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I pay for Nexus premium that money's just going to Nexus right?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

heard u like girls posted:

You can try the ReSaver program to clean your save game and depending on the mods you removed you might get to play that save still. But it's always going to be sort of hosed in mysterious ways that will not be instantly obvious.

Generally it will be gameplay modifications or other stuff with a lot of scripts that breaks a save if you remove it. Disabling clothes or guns, things like that won't be a problem and you can just jank them out again in my experience.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22633/

I’m starting a new run so it’s not really an issue, but good to keep in the back of my head if I wanna peek back at my 2017 run again.