Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Imphal and Kohima? U-Go was planned to forestall an Allied offensive in Burma, but I don't know how much that had to do with the Chindits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Imphal and Kohima? U-Go was planned to forestall an Allied offensive in Burma, but I don't know how much that had to do with the Chindits.

The Chindits were at Kohima, and a lot of the success of the British in both battles was based on air superiority.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

No loving way. I hadn't heard any of this.

I couldn't figure out some of those decisions, but this is almost more incomprehensible than my assumption that they didn't have enough resources or were trying to thread the needle between Arma and Insurgency Sandstorm.

I don't think most of this is public, so that's probably why you haven't heard of it. One of my best friends did PR for a few years, then some members of the PR team started Squad, so I got second hand news throughout the whole process.

Other friend joined after Squad was already a thing and got way better pay and working conditions than the original team, who were basically treated as disposable losers once the money people got involved. He quit due to the management ridiculousness and went to do other things.

They absolutely had resources. They had resources to buy the execs boats, and resources to spend 2 million dollars on trying to make (not even market! just make!) a standalone thingy where Squad's core mechanics could be bought by other studios and modified. No one knows how the gently caress you could possibly waste 2 million dollars on it, seeing as all that stuff is already implemented in an engine, it's just a matter of packaging it for sale... but I guess that's why they aren't the ones with boats, eh?

Americanism can also be seen in how when they wanted to bring MEC to Squad, the higher ups fixated on making them Saudi Arabia, so... using US gear.

MEC is honestly the coolest videogame faction, especially in PR. I fuckin' love MEC. And BF2's MEC music is dope.

PR is also great because in what other game can you play as Syria vs Iraq or whatever?

The only English-language server that still gets a lot of players is ran by some Egyptians so they love playing Gaza and shooting IDF which is funny in its own right.

To relate this to the topic:

US would lose WW3 to MEC.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Is =HOG Mixed Maps= still a thing? I remember everyone making GBS threads on it but it was always the only full one.

What was wrong with HOG? That was our group's go-to server and they seemed to routinely ban the racists and shitters. Also they ran more maps that Muttrah 24/7 (but it was fun to play as MEC and rush a logi to the roundabout by the mountain at the edge of the map and rush up an AA pit with a guy with the Eryx to shoot at the marine AAVs and helis coming in at the start of the match. Hard to pull off because you had to Tokyo drift the truck through the city to get there in time)

If you ever saw/see a group with the tag [C3H8] or PROPANIACS, that was us

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Apr 21, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

That's too bad.

They ended up buying Post Scriptum, right? Which is now marketed as Squad WW2?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Tankbuster posted:

Is =HOG Mixed Maps= still a thing? I remember everyone making GBS threads on it but it was always the only full one.

HOG is dead, unfortunately. Apparently admins just didn't have enough time to manage the server and chose to stop. My main problem with it is they really really loved Insurgency maps. Which can be fun in moderation, but it was too many.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

That's too bad.

They ended up buying Post Scriptum, right? Which is now marketed as Squad WW2?

Yep, correct.

PR also has WW2 which I find dreadfully boring. Next update adds Soviets though, so maybe that will be fun.

There's a fascinating map in PR, set in Alaska, where one of the flag layouts starts with the US having to defend a weather station. This is actually very hard to assault. However, the PLA's landing ship resupplies helicopters, so the helicopters can just hover over the deck and fire dumbfire rockets beyond visual range, then land and resupply immediately. This is, on one hand, cheesing the game. On the other hand, you can imagine it as a approximating a Grad, and then you will understand that the US will lose WW3.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 22:43 on Apr 21, 2024

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

HOG is dead, unfortunately. Apparently admins just didn't have enough time to manage the server and chose to stop. My main problem with it is they really really loved Insurgency maps. Which can be fun in moderation, but it was too many.

Yep, correct.

PR also has WW2 which I find dreadfully boring. Next update adds Soviets though, so maybe that will be fun.

There's a fascinating map in PR, set in Alaska, where one of the flag layouts starts with the US having to defend a weather station. This is actually very hard to assault. However, the PLA's landing ship resupplies helicopters, so the helicopters can just hover over the deck and fire dumbfire rockets beyond visual range, then land and resupply immediately. This is, on one hand, cheesing the game. On the other hand, you can imagine it as a approximating a Grad, and then you will understand that the US will lose WW3.

Ironically I miss the poo poo out of insurgency mode now that Squad is the defacto niche game, they had it in the game but removed it. It did get old after a while, I think HOG was like 50/50 in the rotation but drat if there weren't some all time classic maps. Basrah is one of the best multiplayer maps ever made.

One thing Squad has that PR doesn't have that is hilarious is the remote IEDs stick to players and somehow quad drones can carry roughly 50 lbs worth of mortar bombs

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
hadn't heard about squad getting bought out and hosed with. So did that happen to all the mil sims at the same time? Because didn't that also happen to Post scriptum and Hell let loose?

Little less realistic and smaller in scale but Insurgency also got bought out and killed

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I suppose there's Arma, which iirc floats off massive defence contracts unless BI and BIS are completely different companies now, and Ground Branch, which is smaller in scale and has its own issues.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Comedy option: that one by the warthunder guys where each player has like 10 ai bots surrounding them and they don't really do anything

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

GoLambo posted:

I just assume its a combination of Americans being rifleman / marksmanship obsessed and downright lazy in not wanting to lug heavy weapons around. It's ridiculous to me that the Chinese and Russians have so many integrated support weapons at the platoon level, from RPG's with thermobaric warheads to automatic grenade launchers, and American troops rely on a single machine gun per squad for everything. For supposedly being so firepower focused American infantry are weirdly lightly armed compared to their contemporaries across the globe.

American infantry is not meant to hold lines, that's what the foederati are for.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I suppose there's Arma, which iirc floats off massive defence contracts unless BI and BIS are completely different companies now, and Ground Branch, which is smaller in scale and has its own issues.

The big problem with Arma, at least for multiplayer, is it's impossible to pick up and play for a quick session at any given time since it inherently requires a lot of planning and structure to play (at least last time I tried it). Usually it seems to require a core dedicated group too, like one would have for a DnD session. Squad, PR etc still require an hour or so to really get something out of it but you can at least join a server and have one cohesive experience at any time of day

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

do any of the mil sim shooters have a vr set up where your physical actual body is carrying a hundred pounds of kit up hills and down hills and around trees and over rubble and stuff?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Remember to they reduced weapons companies to platoons in BCT battalions, so the heavy weaponry support has been greatly reduced at the battalion level as well. Maybe some day they will get some of their own FPG drones?

Otherwise, an average platoon of motorized infantry will have 6 M249s beyond underbarrel grenade launchers. It is pretty barebones.

The F-35 is suppose to do it all...even though countries around the world are banking on AD and at least 2 other powers have their own 5th fighters.

I think the biggest problem is that the US military leadership keeps lapping poo poo up like the Objective weapon and XM25 as The Thing That Will Make the Infantry Lethal. I can't really speak to why poo poo like that has the cachet it does, but if I had to guess it's because lightweight 60mm mortars and grenade launchers and your basic rocket propelled grenade don't have nearly the grifting potential that programmable airburst rounds made from single-source contractor mithril do, or perhaps just the shine that all next-gen heretofor un-invented weapons systems carry in the US MIC generally makes the magical next-gen thing look superior to boring real-world weapons that already exist and just need some development.

But the fact is that any time you read any article from the last decade or two about infantry lethality, it's all about wunderwaffe small arms of one variety or another rather than just gunning up infantry squads and platoons with support weapons. The few exceptions are even more idiotic ideas like that notion that was real popular around Obama's first term of having a giant zeppelin that would hover over the battlefield and dispense fires-on-demand in response to infantry pointing a designator or marking a target on their magic eyeglasses Future Soldier HUD.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

wasn’t there a vr milsim where they attached a shock collar to the rig for training cops or troops not to freak out with pain

I bet if they commercialized that there’d be hardcore pain only servers you’re not allowed to turn it off bc immersion

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Voice of Labor posted:

do any of the mil sim shooters have a vr set up where your physical actual body is carrying a hundred pounds of kit up hills and down hills and around trees and over rubble and stuff?

Arma has this, it's improved with ACE, but the milsim community hates the fatigue system. Most servers have it disabled.

1. Overview
Advanced Fatigue is a human fatigue simulation based on the information and formulas provided by Bohemia Interactive Simulations, which used to be publicly available via their manuals page and are apparently used in VBS3. However, just to make this clear again, none of VBS3 code was taken over, this is an independent implementation.

1.1 Basics
Advanced Fatigue is based on scientific formulas that try to predict human performance, which enables ACE to provide a fairly accurate fatigue simulation with understandable in-game results in terms of performance. This means that any movement will be taken into account and may have an impact on both your short term and your long term fatigue: running around all mission will influence how long and how far you can run later, but if you’re more conservative with your energy, you might benefit from that when you actually need more power.

1.2 Fatigue Influences
Your stamina will be drained more or less depending on various factors, some of them more severe than others. Here’s a short list of all currently implemented fatigue influences:

Character stance: Moving upright, crouched or prone.
Weapon holding: Lowering your weapon, raising it or moving with the gun high ready
Movement speed: Running, jogging or walking
Gear weight
Terrain steepness: Walking on slopes, up or down hill
Injuries: Pain and blood volume
Carrying: Both units and objects
Environment temperature

1.3 Effects of High Fatigue
Depending on how much your character is fatigued you will experience various visual, audible and physical symptoms:

Breathing sounds (with different intensity and frequency)
Black flashing border when hitting the bodies limits
Not being able to sprint
Not being able to jog
Slowed down movement whilst swimming or diving
Weapon sway (majorly reduced when crouched or prone)

1.4 Stamina Bar
ACE provides a stamina bar similar to the one in vanilla Arma 3. You can enable and disable it through your ACE options menu. If you want to move the stamina bar, simply move the vanilla one in the GUI game options, the Advanced Fatigue one will move to the same location (this requires a restart though).

The Advanced Fatigue stamina bar has a few changes compared to the vanilla one to improve both immersion and user feedback, inspired by Dslyecxi’s custom stamina bar. It will initially have a very low opacity which rises with the loss of stamina. Additionally it will first turn from white to orange and bright red afterwards.

2. Simulation Details
Since Advanced Fatigue is based on real life biological systems we will explain some of them in more detail here.

2.1 How Human Stamina Works
Human stamina is based on the availability of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which is a molecule used by the body to transfer power. Small amounts of ATP are already stored readily available within muscle cells and larger amounts are generated by several pathways, which then transfer the ATP through blood to the muscles. There are quite a few pathways which generate and store ATP, so instead of simulating all of them, we merge them into 3 generic pathways.

2.2 ATP Pathways
Each pathway has different properties: They store different amounts of ATP and can provide and regenerate different amounts of ATP per second. You can compare this to having three differently sized barrels filled with water, each having a differently sized faucet and opening at the top to refill it with water.

2.2.1 Anaerobic Pathway
This pathway is essentially responsible for your short term stamina. It has a very small capacity of ATP available (2300 mmol), which is can provide a lot of ATP very fast (113.3 mmol/s), but also replenished very quickly (56.7 mmol/s). This pathway is pretty much what limits how long you can jog or sprint in one go, which is why we use it as an indicator for the stamina bar.

2.2.2 Aerobic Pathways
The two aerobic pathways store way bigger amounts of ATP than the anaerobic one, the first one stores over 1700 times as much ATP (4000 mol) and the second one still over 36 times as much ATP (84 mol) as the anaerobic pathway. However, they can also provide (13.3 and 16.7 mmol) and replenish (6.6 and 5.83 mmol) a lot less ATP then the anaerobic pathway.

This means that while these will last a lot longer, they do not have such a large impact on your short term performance. Instead, they will drain slowly during the day, which means that at the end you will have less power available than at the beginning, depending on how much you exhausted yourself. However, at that point they will start influencing your short term performance.

2.3 ATP Consumption
At any time the body consumes a certain amount of ATP - even when not moving. Since the aerobic pathways have so much ATP available, they will be drained first, and when you’re not moving they can usually cover all the ATP you need. They can actually mostly regenerate the same amount of ATP that is used as is consumed, which means standing still has no effect on your performance. Once you exert yourself a little more, by jogging for example, more ATP is needed, and the anaerobic pathway comes into play. It will fill in the rest of the ATP needed.

2.4 ATP Pathway Fatigue
Another factor that comes into play here is pathway fatigue - the pathways themselves can fatigue too! That means, the more ATP the pathways have to provide, the slower they will will be able to, limiting how much ATP can overall be provided by each pathway. If we take into account that the aerobic pathways have provide their ATP first for any consumption, that means that the anaerobic pathway will have to provide more ATP if the aerobic ones are fatigued. This is how the long term fatigue effect is created.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

If only they had helicopters smdh :(

The moment one of them would crash orde wingate would do an absurd amount of cringe-rear end racism that would get him removed by someone like wavell.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Justin Tyme posted:

What was wrong with HOG? That was our group's go-to server and they seemed to routinely ban the racists and shitters. Also they ran more maps that Muttrah 24/7 (but it was fun to play as MEC and rush a logi to the roundabout by the mountain at the edge of the map and rush up an AA pit with a guy with the Eryx to shoot at the marine AAVs and helis coming in at the start of the match. Hard to pull off because you had to Tokyo drift the truck through the city to get there in time)

If you ever saw/see a group with the tag [C3H8] or PROPANIACS, that was us

I might have seen you guys a couple of times over the years.

The issue with PR WW2 maps is you are always thinking "drat, I could just play project reality 2." One of the coolest aspects of PR was the cool faction diversity. What game lets you play as Hezbollah against the IDF?

Tankbuster has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Apr 22, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

I think the biggest problem is that the US military leadership keeps lapping poo poo up like the Objective weapon and XM25 as The Thing That Will Make the Infantry Lethal. I can't really speak to why poo poo like that has the cachet it does, but if I had to guess it's because lightweight 60mm mortars and grenade launchers and your basic rocket propelled grenade don't have nearly the grifting potential that programmable airburst rounds made from single-source contractor mithril do, or perhaps just the shine that all next-gen heretofor un-invented weapons systems carry in the US MIC generally makes the magical next-gen thing look superior to boring real-world weapons that already exist and just need some development.

But the fact is that any time you read any article from the last decade or two about infantry lethality, it's all about wunderwaffe small arms of one variety or another rather than just gunning up infantry squads and platoons with support weapons. The few exceptions are even more idiotic ideas like that notion that was real popular around Obama's first term of having a giant zeppelin that would hover over the battlefield and dispense fires-on-demand in response to infantry pointing a designator or marking a target on their magic eyeglasses Future Soldier HUD.

there is a fundamental idea underpinning everything that we can make things like manpower and industry not matter by out-teching our opponents hard enough. with this mindset, you will never ever have anyone sign off on the idea of just giving them more of the same stuff that we've had for 60 years, no matter how obvious it becomes that this is the right answer and no matter that it's what everyone else is doing. you can't just give them more grenade launchers, you have to give them some kind of sci-fi AI-driven homing airburst grenade launcher, and if it turns out that that's going to take 30 years to develop and you're only going to be able to afford 12 of them and half of those won't work and the other half will only be a little bit better than the grenade launchers you could make thousands of right now, then that's just the cost of being innovative and it'll all pay off in the long run

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Tankbuster posted:

I might have seen you guys a couple of times over the years.

The issue with PR WW2 maps is you are always thinking "drat, I could just play project reality 2." One of the coolest aspects of PR was the cool faction diversity. What game lets you play as Hezbollah against the IDF?

You actually play Hamas and there is a Gaza map

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

You actually play Hamas and there is a Gaza map

yeah thats the one. Hamas gets to wear cool jeans.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I might lazilly hypothesize that part of it is the mythologizing of urban combat Door Kicking, Room Clearing, and the Bearded Operator. A mortar or tube that spits out a rocket just isn't as sexy to imagine in a WARRIOR'S hands as an Even More Lethal Carbine.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

cock hero flux posted:

there is a fundamental idea underpinning everything that we can make things like manpower and industry not matter by out-teching our opponents hard enough. with this mindset, you will never ever have anyone sign off on the idea of just giving them more of the same stuff that we've had for 60 years, no matter how obvious it becomes that this is the right answer and no matter that it's what everyone else is doing. you can't just give them more grenade launchers, you have to give them some kind of sci-fi AI-driven homing airburst grenade launcher, and if it turns out that that's going to take 30 years to develop and you're only going to be able to afford 12 of them and half of those won't work and the other half will only be a little bit better than the grenade launchers you could make thousands of right now, then that's just the cost of being innovative and it'll all pay off in the long run

You've captured it exactly. It is enough to drive you crazy.

See: CANSOFCOM procuring the 40mm PIKE instead of, say, just putting M320s on their C8s.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Owlbear Camus posted:

I might lazilly hypothesize that part of it is the mythologizing of urban combat Door Kicking, Room Clearing, and the Bearded Operator. A mortar or tube that spits out a rocket just isn't as sexy to imagine in a WARRIOR'S hands as an Even More Lethal Carbine.

Which reminds me that ww2 Soviet doctrine for urban combat very quickly became to throw a frag grenade into every single room before entering it.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

GoLambo posted:

I just assume its a combination of Americans being rifleman / marksmanship obsessed and downright lazy in not wanting to lug heavy weapons around. It's ridiculous to me that the Chinese and Russians have so many integrated support weapons at the platoon level, from RPG's with thermobaric warheads to automatic grenade launchers, and American troops rely on a single machine gun per squad for everything. For supposedly being so firepower focused American infantry are weirdly lightly armed compared to their contemporaries across the globe.

Americans already carry way more poo poo than any soldier should be, to the point that High Speed Low Drag Operators got so famously run down like dogs by Afghans (despite being uphill of them) that they had to make a movie about it. They are just ridiculously inefficient about what they spend that weight on. 14" carbine that somehow weighs 10 lbs? Sounds great. Machineguns all heavy pieces of poo poo compared to a 60 year old PKM? This is fine. loving compass: that'll be half a pound. *Slaps AN/PEQ-15* this 2 gram laser diode comes in a 213 gram package!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Morbus posted:

Americans already carry way more poo poo than any soldier should be, to the point that High Speed Low Drag Operators got so famously run down like dogs by Afghans (despite being uphill of them) that they had to make a movie about it. They are just ridiculously inefficient about what they spend that weight on. 14" carbine that somehow weighs 10 lbs? Sounds great. Machineguns all heavy pieces of poo poo compared to a 60 year old PKM? This is fine. loving compass: that'll be half a pound. *Slaps AN/PEQ-15* this 2 gram laser diode comes in a 213 gram package!

sounds like a good use case for steroids

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
It occurs to it is possible that somebodies have looked at the statistics for how many casualties are caused by infantry and decided anything more than a light machinegun for suppressing fire is pointless.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Weka posted:

It occurs to it is possible that somebodies have looked at the statistics for how many casualties are caused by infantry and decided anything more than a light machinegun for suppressing fire is pointless.

They're caused by the crew served weapons they're stripping out of the infantry organization: mortars and belt fed MGs.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

cock hero flux posted:

as always: https://www.baen.com/Chapters/1439133476/1439133476___5.htm

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I was just reading another book that mentions that American scholarship on the hoplite and Greek warfare generally draws from German writers, hence projecting Prussia backwards through time - I know we've discussed this before, it's one of the more interesting debates in history at the moment - but it's funny to see that consistency through two world wars where America defeated Germany, their interpretation is still based on German scholarship:

"Modern scholarship may fairly be said to commence with German scholarship. In 1862, Hermann Köchly and Wilhelm Rüstow’s Geschichte des griechischen Kriegswesens von der ältesten Zeit bis auf Pyrrhos appeared. Hans Delbrück’s monumental four-volume Geschichte der Kriegskunst im Rahmen der politischen Geschichte was published between 1900 and 1920, and 1928 saw another major achievement of German scholarship of that period, Johannes Kromayer and Georg Veith’s Heerwesen und Kriegführung der Griechen und Römer. In these the groundwork was laid for much of the later scholarship on the hoplite phalanx, and essentially these works defined the ‘canonical’ concept of the closed phalanx. They are, however, very much products of their time, and their focus is squarely on such topics as strategics, tactics, logistics and army strengths. In keeping with contemporary scholarship, these scholars regarded the study of warfare in antiquity as an extension of the attempt to understand warfare scientifically, and as a result their analyses are often of a very schematic and rigid nature, despite the fact that they put the sources to good use."

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

there WAS a show called future “weapons”. there weren’t never no show called “factory that makes things good”

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

poisonpill posted:

there WAS a show called future “weapons”. there weren’t never no show called “factory that makes things good”

didn't that show the famous german panzerhaubitz 2000 that FF says was always breaking down?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Beautiful, has it been made into a movie?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Tankbuster posted:

didn't that show the famous german panzerhaubitz 2000 that FF says was always breaking down?

Don't just take my word for it, it was always breaking down. I'm pretty sure it's mentioned a lot in reporting from the time as well as the academic literature on the German deployment to Afghanistan.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

poisonpill posted:

There were a bunch of shows like that and they were awesome. How It's Made and Modern Marvels are two examples. They used to be shown on the History channel all the time. Here's a welding episode since it's relevant. I think most of the classic Modern Marvels episodes are on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4k4VgeXtQ0

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

stephenthinkpad posted:

Beautiful, has it been made into a movie?

I suspect if anyone in Hollywood tried, Lockmart might actually have them killed.

Weka
May 5, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

They're caused by the crew served weapons they're stripping out of the infantry organization: mortars and belt fed MGs.

I thought those were still much smaller sources of casualties than artillery and where relevant, air dropped weapons.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

poisonpill posted:

“How it’s made”

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Which reminds me that ww2 Soviet doctrine for urban combat very quickly became to throw a frag grenade into every single room before entering it.

That can't possibly be true, you'd need some kind of giant workshop with thousands of artisans working around the clock to supply that many grenades! You'd never find a use for all the production outside of war, resulting in huge losses once hostilities ended! Not to mention the logistical difficulties in moving product. The shareholders would never allow it!

No, the Soviets probably just filled each room with mountains of their own dead until their superior enemy was crushed under weight of corpses. That sounds much more logical. Write that down in the history books!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Weka posted:

I thought those were still much smaller sources of casualties than artillery and where relevant, air dropped weapons.

Yes but it’s like, of the 7% caused by infantry weapons, 90% are by their crew served.

Also mortars are the infantry’s artillery, their most deadly weapon.