Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The Good the Bad and the Ugly is wayyyyyy better than the other two. Those two aren't even in the same league as it.

They both have things the others don't have. Fistful of Dollars has the is Yojimbo and got sued for it alongside the steel plate ending and For A Few Dollars more has the undercover aspect.

That said yeah GBU is the best one and any film that ends with the hero winning through dastardly tricks is a good thing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I am watching Rebel Moon 2, and so far there have been 3 grain harvesting montages, and then everyone went around the room and did flashbacks about why they hate the Empire.

The band of heroes turned the peaceful villagers into basically Hamas with a single training scene. None of them were even initially bad at it. Apparently all they needed were the weapons because these people are natural born killers.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 22, 2024

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
And yet no one ever scythed an enemy soldier's feet off, leaving their body to comically topple over in slow motion

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

PostNouveau posted:

I am watching Rebel Moon 2, and so far there have been 3 grain harvesting montages, and then everyone went around the room and did flashbacks about why they hate the Empire.

I'm waiting for the extended cut that will have at least 5 grain harvesting montages

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I am watching Rebel Moon 2,

This is a free country, nobody can ask you to do this.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VopcN--Wpsc

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This was not in the Top 10 on Netflix, and I missed something and went to look up a plot summary and no one has bothered to write it on Wikipedia. Zack Snyder says this is film 2 of 4 or maybe 6.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

And yet no one ever scythed an enemy soldier's feet off, leaving their body to comically topple over in slow motion

Characters having mundane backstories and this never fitting into the adventure is a pet peeve of mine. Clash of the Titans 2013 thought having a character repeatedly say they were a fisherman was enough, when the final boss of the movie is a giant goddamn sea creature and they do nothing with that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol this was a horrible plan they got like at least half this village slaughtered

There's a weird barbarian dude who fights with two axes, but this movie is so devoted to being completely bloodless that they just show his rubber axes bouncing off anyone they hit. Everyone who gets shot shows no actual damage, it just makes a bunch of CGI metal slag and then they fall over.

The hero infiltrated the battleship and she killed all the medics who came to help her and now she is murdering all the workers in the engine room, who appear to be shoveling coal into furnaces like it's a steamer ship.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 22, 2024

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

priznat posted:

Still watching that Constellation show on AppleTV and I still can’t decide if it is worth it, it seems like they’ve done in 7 episodes so far what should really have taken no more than 4.

It ain't. As you said, it takes too long to go basically nowhere, and once it arrives you'll find it was not at all worth the commitment. It's the epitome of a plot-driven show; the only people approaching actual characters are the guys played by Jonathan Banks while everyone else has basically one personality trait that defines everything about who they are. If the central mystery was interesting enough to make up for the lack of interesting/developed characters then that'd be one thing, but the more you learn about it, the dumber and more nonsensical it becomes.

It's unfortunate because they clearly put a lot of money into it and the cast is pretty good. Highly recommend stopping now and watching Counterpart instead, which does a superficially similar premise much, much better.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

PostNouveau posted:

Zack Snyder says this is film 2 of 4 or maybe 6.

I hope Snyder releases all 6 Rebel Moon movies as their PG-13 versions first and then dies tragically before he gets the chance to go back and finish them by adding CGI blood to all the slow motion.

Also split the final one into a part 1 and part 2 movie so Snyder fans have to wait an additional year.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

I hope Snyder releases all 6 Rebel Moon movies as their PG-13 versions first and then dies tragically before he gets the chance to go back and finish them by adding CGI blood to all the slow motion.

Also split the final one into a part 1 and part 2 movie so Snyder fans have to wait an additional year.

Splitting the last 2 movies into 2 parts each was the reason he said it might be anywhere from 4-6 movies (they will not make another one of these).

There was an OK lightsaber fight at the end. The terrible plan got the cool witch lady, the hero's boyfriend and a shitload of villagers killed. The tiny village seems to be a smoldering wreck, but everyone is happy anyway. Sofia Boutella's character has to emote in the end and it's truly horrific acting.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

It looks a lot better like this, the significantly lower resolution helps hide the green screen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FeculentWizardTits posted:

It ain't. As you said, it takes too long to go basically nowhere, and once it arrives you'll find it was not at all worth the commitment. It's the epitome of a plot-driven show; the only people approaching actual characters are the guys played by Jonathan Banks while everyone else has basically one personality trait that defines everything about who they are. If the central mystery was interesting enough to make up for the lack of interesting/developed characters then that'd be one thing, but the more you learn about it, the dumber and more nonsensical it becomes.

It's unfortunate because they clearly put a lot of money into it and the cast is pretty good. Highly recommend stopping now and watching Counterpart instead, which does a superficially similar premise much, much better.

Yeah it reminded me of counterpoint a lot but less cohesive. I really liked Counterpoint, that show needed some more seasons.

Constellation definitely was not cheaped out on, the ISS scenes were really well done. I kept waiting for it to improve but then episode 7 is basically a retread of a lot of stuff we saw already in the first drat episode!! Just a real timewaster of a show, super disappointing. Magnus is such a useless doofus too. Hm daughter wandered away from cabin in winter, oh well I will just go back to sleep surely she won’t wander off again!!

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
counterpart got in just before the multiverse fad and did it better than anything that came after from an actual sci fi perspective. the two worlds have diverged into two completely seperate sociopolitical realities because of random events, iirc one had a pandemic way worse than the rona that caused it to be more authoritarian, have higher income inequality, higher tech. and it makes sense when you see both versions of the same character because they lived through different world events ontop of the different personal choices they made

then the real multiverse wave hit and we got a bunch of "in this universe thor is a donkey!"

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

was wondering what happened to him, i'm glad he didn't die again

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Pac and Cheese posted:

"in this universe thor is a donkey!"

I'd like to hear more about this. this is very good

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Pac and Cheese posted:

counterpart got in just before the multiverse fad and did it better than anything that came after from an actual sci fi perspective. the two worlds have diverged into two completely seperate sociopolitical realities because of random events, iirc one had a pandemic way worse than the rona that caused it to be more authoritarian, have higher income inequality, higher tech. and it makes sense when you see both versions of the same character because they lived through different world events ontop of the different personal choices they made

then the real multiverse wave hit and we got a bunch of "in this universe thor is a donkey!"

Yeah plus JK Simmons loving rules.

I seriously wanted to get more of a reveal on a lot of the stuff in that show, like “the board” I think it was referred to as. Reminded me of the board in Control tbh.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Barudak posted:

Characters having mundane backstories and this never fitting into the adventure is a pet peeve of mine. Clash of the Titans 2013 thought having a character repeatedly say they were a fisherman was enough, when the final boss of the movie is a giant goddamn sea creature and they do nothing with that.

There's always a bigger fish

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

PostNouveau posted:

There's a weird barbarian dude who fights with two axes, but this movie is so devoted to being completely bloodless that they just show his rubber axes bouncing off anyone they hit. Everyone who gets shot shows no actual damage, it just makes a bunch of CGI metal slag and then they fall over.

It was so noticeable lmao. I assumed they didn't originally intend for that bridge shot to be slo mo, then they decided to save the blood for the snyder cut

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

actually that is pretty good i'll let you pitch it as your own idea

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I watched about half of Late Night with the Devil. It’s…ok? The opening narration and showing us stuff that’s not really happening on camera break the illusion. They cheated a little and say what we’re seeing is the master tape, so when they cut to commercial, we don’t see those but rather we see what the cameras are focused on but not broadcasting. While not the same, WNUF handles it better. You’re watching the actual tv broadcast. All the world building is in the details without exposition dumps.

It does have a Svengoolie reference so that’s at least 1 star.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

perfection. i think we've found breen's golden medium, 90s cd rom fmv point and click adventure games. let him make phantasmagoria 3. with full control over the puzzle design resulting in an incomprehensible behemoth that puts i have no mouth and i must scream to shame. he could still use his dvd printer distribution system

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

I watched about half of Late Night with the Devil. It’s…ok? The opening narration and showing us stuff that’s not really happening on camera break the illusion. They cheated a little and say what we’re seeing is the master tape, so when they cut to commercial, we don’t see those but rather we see what the cameras are focused on but not broadcasting. While not the same, WNUF handles it better. You’re watching the actual tv broadcast. All the world building is in the details without exposition dumps.

It does have a Svengoolie reference so that’s at least 1 star.
It felt like a segment from one of the V/H/S movies that was 90 minutes long instead of 15 or whatever

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

I watched about half of Late Night with the Devil. It’s…ok? The opening narration and showing us stuff that’s not really happening on camera break the illusion.

It completely gives up on this by the end. Probably something about art and filmmaking visual story telling.

I was on board for 95% of the movie. I really enjoyed the scenes where the skeptic explained and showed hypnotic suggestion. I wanted them to continue with that, make the viewer question what was real, if they'd also been drawn into the trick or if it was real... Then they just decided to stop going in that direction, and got boring :(

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

The Good the Bad and the Ugly is wayyyyyy better than the other two. Those two aren't even in the same league as it.

i'll level with you, i thought for a few dollars more was the superior movie of the series until the bridge scene in tgtbatu, from that point on that movie just plain becomes pinnacle film making

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

close enough

Hocky Hoof Hank is the perfect fusion of Thor and Horse (Thorse). He canonically has appeared in every previous marvel comic, just slightly off-panel.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 22, 2024

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
https://carboncostume.com/alligator-loki/

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

kalel posted:

saw the good the bad and the ugly at the alamo

after seeing the greatest comedy of all time, part 2 of birthday weekend is seeing the greatest "western" of all time ("western" in quotes because insert explanation here). I've actually never watched the third part of the dollars "trilogy" before ("trilogy" in quotes because insert explanation here 2), I watched the first two about a year apart in college and just never got around the last. I agree with jay/colin that this is the best one, although the hat shooting scene in for a few dollars more is one of my favorites in any movie of any genre ever filmed. eli wallach and lee van cleef give amazing performances, every shot where the frame is filled with one of their faces is a whole scene unto itself

Just fyi both of those movies are available on dvd

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh it's 2024 and nobody has a DVD player anymore geandpa

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I use a ps2 as a dvd player

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
people are allowed to enjoy watching classic films in a theater, calm yourself, it is i, the alligator loki

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

you gotta sexy that outfit up jeez what kind of cosplayer are u

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

I was joking. I would not actually like to hear any more about thor.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Re rebel Moon

I wonder if at this point it's actually possible to start out with the idea "let's make one movie for a sensible (both ways) budget, that's as strong as it can possibly be". I think everyone has forgotten that:

George Lucas stuck "episode 4: a new hope" on the front of Star Wars after it was already a cultural phenomenon.

Iron Man was made to be the absolute best possible standalone marvel movie.

I think they have also forgotten that whenever anyone starts from the beginning with the idea they're going to have a wicked happy meal toy deal for movie number 18 it's a loving trash fire:
Dark universe
Snyder verse
Rebel Moon

I'm gonna have to hire a Russian bit farm to constantly spam thinkpieces about this on LinkedIn to get this insanely obvious point through the executive reality distortion field, aren't I?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

ghost corps workd out pretty well

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Good The Bad The Ugly has better score.

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

Crescent Wrench posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB6mt2ptFmM

A no-prize to anyone who can guess the significance of this video.

It's the last time RLM released a video with less views than the Spitballs: Pong video.

Can't wait for the Scare-Scarecrow episode of Spitballs after that last vid :/

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

The Good The Bad The Ugly has better score.

Yeah, think that goes without saying. Like how many films actually have a better score than The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

Stone cold classic soundtrack and Ecstasy of Gold is just pure brilliance (as well as the scene is played with).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

hard counter posted:

i'll level with you, i thought for a few dollars more was the superior movie of the series until the bridge scene in tgtbatu, from that point on that movie just plain becomes pinnacle film making

Maybe I need to rewatch it but that whole bridge scene does nothing for me. The movie runs maybe a bit too long already and that whole bit seems like a detour with nothing to say.