Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/mattyglesias/status/1782216628031074775

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

well if you have a better way of consuming the wisdom of your enemies I'd like to hear it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it seems to me like "some people in New Guinea practice cannibalism" and "Joe Biden's uncle, specifically, was not cannibalized in New Guinea" are two things that can both be true.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Poked my head into the bad thread out of boredom and they're currently arguing that if you think the Boeing whistleblower was murdered instead of believing he killed himself after he explicitly told a ton of people in confidence "I'm not going to kill myself, I'm not suicidal, if I commit 'suicide' I have been murdered" then you are - in fact - a crackpot conspiracy theorist.

lol

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Sydin posted:

Poked my head into the bad thread out of boredom and they're currently arguing that if you think the Boeing whistleblower was murdered instead of believing he killed himself after he explicitly told a ton of people in confidence "I'm not going to kill myself, I'm not suicidal, if I commit 'suicide' I have been murdered" then you are - in fact - a crackpot conspiracy theorist.

lol

gravity is also a theory

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It must be an incredible source of comfort, living in that sort of fantasy world

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It must be an incredible source of comfort, living in that sort of fantasy world

personally I greatly envy the simple, who can be satisfied with what their betters tell them the world is

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Sydin posted:

lol
sounds exactly what someone suicidal and wanting to unfairly stick it to boeing and Number would say

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
liberals are just coldly rational political thinkers that accept the fact that the Boeing whistleblower and sandra bland and jeffery epstein and a number of leaders of the blm movement killed themselves.

e: most of them would joyously whip out "ok but think about what it would take to bake 6 million pizzas" if bidens pudding brain said the holocaust was made up

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm 50/50 on this specific case but it's so funny that they think you're an idiot for suspecting a thing that has happened multiple times has happened again. Just entirely vibes about how the world works and what can and can't happen.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm an "Epstein's death was faked and he's hiding out somewhere" conspiracist.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://x.com/thehill/status/1782241927443739003

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

But they want Trump to win so this upsets them.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

lol why are democrats like this?

In 'Hamilton,' we're telling the stories of old, dead white men, but we're using actors of color, and that makes the story more immediate and more accessible to a contemporary audience.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

If Biden had a platform page (he does not), a centerpiece of it would be his signature policy of "Access to Hamilton".

Secretary Pete in 2028 will run on "Hamilton for All (who want it)".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
If you like your Hamilton, you can keep it!

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Nichael posted:

If Biden had a platform page (he does not), a centerpiece of it would be his signature policy of "Access to Hamilton".

Secretary Pete in 2028 will run on "Hamilton for All (who want it)".

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/s...-manuel-miranda

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

it seems to me like "some people in New Guinea practice cannibalism" and "Joe Biden's uncle, specifically, was not cannibalized in New Guinea" are two things that can both be true.

There was an Australian historian who did some research into this a while ago because it became part of both American and ANZAC mythology, the MIA rate for aircrews in New Guinea was really high, even when chutes were seen by other aircraft.

Well, he did some digging, I guess into the terrain aircrew were bailing out into, and the tree canopy, and basically you could be uninjured, bail out over land, have your parachute deploy properly and everything, and still be as good as dead, because you would either die impacting the trees, or get hung up, in which case you would die from the fall cutting yourself loose, if you were even conscious and able to do that.

Compared to pilots who bailed out over Europe, the amount who made it back to base was like a single digit percentage.

Of course, go figure, postwar that becomes mythologized to blame the indigenous population that worked with the Coast Watchers to bring back the pilots who did survive back. Iirc when PT 109 came out and everybody was talking about JFK's survival, they described the people who rescued him as cannibals too, which was pretty far from the case.

Put this in the same category as exotic and sexually available Polynesian women, as far as GI fantasia that became part of postwar American culture.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 04:31 on Apr 22, 2024

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

chas10

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

chas10 2 succious

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Nichael posted:

chas10 2 succious

The crime thriller as the biden admin collapses.
The rats survive the sinking ship. They always win in the end after all.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

There was an Australian historian who did some research into this a while ago because it became part of both American and ANZAC mythology, the MIA rate for aircrews in New Guinea was really high, even when chutes were seen by other aircraft.

Well, he did some digging, I guess into the terrain aircrew were bailing out into, and the tree canopy, and basically you could be uninjured, bail out over land, have your parachute deploy properly and everything, and still be as good as dead, because you would either die impacting the trees, or get hung up, in which case you would die from the fall cutting yourself loose, if you were even conscious and able to do that.

Compared to pilots who bailed out over Europe, the amount who made it back to base was like a single digit percentage.

Of course, go figure, postwar that becomes mythologized to blame the indigenous population that worked with the Coast Watchers to bring back the pilots who did survive back. Iirc when PT 109 came out and everybody was talking about JFK's survival, they described the people who rescued him as cannibals too, which was pretty far from the case.

Put this in the same category as exotic and sexually available Polynesian women, as far as GI fantasia that became part of postwar American culture.

Those trees are enormous where they still exist too, absolutely huge as hell, multiple stories. I completely believe if you were trying to cut yourself loose, then just that fall alone could kill you even if you were otherwise entirely healthy -- based only on that one piece of the puzzle it'd be way more dangerous than getting shot up over some field or town or scrubby woods. Idk if they didn't pre-scout these areas or what before sending missions and developing plans for if poo poo goes sideways, but one look would've said you really need to have it together.

"Gee, how'd uncle rear end in a top hat die there, dad?"
"Ate by cannibals, joe."
I mean, what's he gonna say, fuckin starved to death cause nobody could get him down from a 200' branch? & now joe's so senile if he ever realized it was a lie he's too drat hosed up to know for sure.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

:aochloe:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
imagine how depressed pete was to not see the pool of blood he'd been hoping for

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

imagine how depressed pete was to not see the pool of blood he'd been hoping for

he wanted to see a dog choking in it

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Idk if they didn't pre-scout these areas or what before sending missions and developing plans for if poo poo goes sideways, but one look would've said you really need to have it together.

Iirc after a few months, B-25, P-39 and P-40 crews, as well as iirc Japanese Army crews stopped wearing parachutes if they were flying entirely overland, if that counts as a plan.

There was one episode where all 10 crew of a B-24 bailed out successfully and only one made it back to base, or was ever found alive, for that matter, and word of episodes like that seems to have convinced crews it was better to just die quickly rather than never be found.

e: I had no idea the trees were that big! Several stories? You’re not going down from there without help if you have a broken arm or something.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nichael posted:

But they want Trump to win so this upsets them.

Nah, I think they just hate third party candidates that much. Even when one is doing something that directly benefits them they can’t stand it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Nah, I think they just hate third party candidates that much. Even when one is doing something that directly benefits them they can’t stand it.

tthe democrat party hates democratcy

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

blue maga going all in on this, i see

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://x.com/jalexa1218/status/1782127358935244928
Yes, the vaunted 2020 "strategy."

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

biden and trump are right

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Just climb down the tree. It's literal childs play

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

the 2020 biden strategy was "hope he tells his followers to literally drink bleach and die" and he actually did it. there was no way hiding in a basement would've worked without covid or with a trump that tried even the slightest bit.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Clip-On Fedora posted:

They think they have the right to every vote the Republicans don't get. Anyone who doesn't vote or votes for a third party is stealing from the Democrats regardless of which party those voters would actually support if voting was mandatory and third parties didn't exist.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

super sweet best pal posted:

They think they have the right to every vote the Republicans don't get. Anyone who doesn't vote or votes for a third party is stealing from the Democrats regardless of which party those voters would actually support if voting was mandatory and third parties didn't exist.

I've said it a million times; Nothing would piss a liberal off more than knowing you voted third party. They would honestly prefer you vote republican before you vote 3rd party.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
liberals have forgiven george w bush but not ralph nader, after all

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

joepinetree posted:

liberals have forgiven george w bush but not ralph nader, after all

poo poo, far as they're concerned, there's nothing to forgive Bush for. He didn't do anything they were actually against.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[ELIZA]
Ha!
Two weeks later
In the living room stressin’
My father’s stone-faced
While you’re asking for his blessin’
I’m dying inside, as
You wine
And dine
And I’m tryin’ not to cry
‘cause there’s nothing that your mind can’t do
My father makes his way across the room
To you
I panic for a second, thinking
“we’re through”
But then he shakes your hand and says
“Be true”
And you turn back to me, smiling, and I’m
Helpless!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

im seeing this for the first time. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lin-Manuel Turtle posted:

[ELIZA]
Ha!
Two weeks later
In the living room stressin’
My father’s stone-faced
While you’re asking for his blessin’
I’m dying inside, as
You wine
And dine
And I’m tryin’ not to cry
‘cause there’s nothing that your mind can’t do
My father makes his way across the room
To you
I panic for a second, thinking
“we’re through”
But then he shakes your hand and says
“Be true”
And you turn back to me, smiling, and I’m
Helpless!

For some reason my mind keeps trying to fit this to the melody of the "Worthless" song from The Brave Little Toaster

Is this musical ever even slightly critical of Hamilton? It seems like everyone just talks about how awesome he is constantly.