Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's still pretty funny to me that, in Granblue Fantasy, Erica Lindbeck voices the no-nonsense lady knight Katalina. And the sheltered waif of great plot importance, Lyria, is voiced by Kira Buckland, best known as the voice of 2B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dark Souls: I went to the depths, got cursed (gently caress basilisks!), went to ghost-ville, got a cool ghost dagger (WOO) and got uncursed, then went BACK to the depths, made it to the gaping dragon (vagina dentata, anyone?) and my reward for conquering all of this misery iiiiis

:negative:

e: so far it's living up to its reputation, what with the really tough enemies, replacing poison with toxic (ughhhh), blowdarts, and ENDLESS ladders. This sucks!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dark Souls: I went to the depths, got cursed (gently caress basilisks!)

that's :darksouls:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dark Souls: I went to the depths, got cursed (gently caress basilisks!), went to ghost-ville, got a cool ghost dagger (WOO) and got uncursed, then went BACK to the depths, made it to the gaping dragon (vagina dentata, anyone?) and my reward for conquering all of this misery iiiiis

e: so far it's living up to its reputation, what with the really tough enemies, replacing poison with toxic (ughhhh), blowdarts, and ENDLESS ladders. This sucks!

You're really having the classic experience :allears:

Blighttown's reputation is funny, because the swamp is actually the easy part. Getting to the swamp, going down all those narrow platforms with enemies at every turn, is the tough bit.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

exquisite tea posted:

If you hear a bratty young female character with an alternative haircut there's like a 90% chance it's voiced by Erica Lindbeck.
Jesus Christ is she everywhere: Jessie from Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Black Cat from Spider-Man, Misty from Cyberpunk (exceptional VA work there), Kate from Desperados III, Torque from XCOM: Chimera Squad (the snake icon herself), Magilou from Tales of Berseria, and of course a million other roles.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

habituallyred posted:

Its nuts that they haven't just called it Cogmind 3.0 at this point. Don't like the default way to play? Scroll the steam guides for the variant modes. Play the game as an RPG with almost indestructible parts backed up by leveling up your stats directly. Play the game with "lootboxes" where you can just buy the parts you want with funny money. Have a run with an AI buddy where you share parts! I never even looked at the halloween abomination mode where enemies randomly add bits to themselves.

Its nuts.
Well, dev did touch on that just recently in an update.

quote:

It's finally time! For 1.0? No, of course not (that we hit it back in 2017 is just a poorly kept secret), what I mean is raising the price to better reflect what Cogmind is: hundreds of hours of content and lovingly-crafted roguelike adventure and storytelling. I don't explicitly advertise the worldbuilding's diversity and surprises, since that is best left to discovery, but it's been enough to challenge and entertain some folks for even thousands of hours. (Cogmind's screenshots represent only a small fraction of what you'll really find out there, for the reality you'd have to check out spoiler sections of the community, or some videos/streams.)

And the scope continues to grow.

I've dedicated more than the past decade of my life to full-time development of Cogmind. Just me, since it's not like this could support additional folks--it can only barely cover frugal old me :P. I will hopefully, likely, continue to do so for the next couple years. Content is planned out even beyond that, but who knows if it will still be sustainable by then?

That said, as stated before I've never wanted to declare 1.0 then release all my expansions as DLC. Even though that technically makes a lot of business sense and would be significantly more sustainable, I think it leads to a worse player and community experience overall. Instead, I chose to start a Patreon some years ago to help keep the lights on. Although paling in comparison to what DLC would bring in, that has worked out well enough, so once again a special thanks to all of you patrons!

To the point at hand, Cogmind's price will be going up next month. There's only a relatively small window within which to do this without conflicting with other Steam events, and that period is April, so April it is. The new base price will be set to $24.99, and no don't expect that to mean deeper discounts going forward. The price isn't being raised to allow for greater discounts, it's being raised simply to raise the price :P

Some may question the idea of a price increase during "Early Access," but don't worry, the price will likely go up again (!) later and Cogmind isn't really Early Access, anyway, we're waaaay past that. Yes that label does keep some people from buying in since they're skeptical of anything marked EA, an unfortunate side effect of all the poorly planned or executed projects that don't manage it well. Cogmind could've completely skipped Early Access to begin with, or stop development at any point, and be fine in terms of completion.* (Cogmind was publicly released for over two years before coming to Steam in the first place! The date on the Steam page is not Cogmind's actual release date, though many informational sites will assume and repeat that...) We'll open the gates to those folks eventually, but the next couple themed expansions cover at least four more betas before that's even a consideration. The third still-to-come major expansion could be released before or after that threshold (still undecided), it's essentially just a pure marketing decision when to use the "1.0" label.
Yeah, it shouldn't really be Early Access, but the expansions that would have been DLC are instead just updates funded in part by the Patreon, is more or less the statement.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The guy who voices Chai does a great job, too. I definitely feel like I've heard that voice before as well.

I assume you guys played this on PC, someone please tell me how I'm supposed to switch levels for upgrades:

It's telling me to press 1, but nothing happens when I do. I don't know if it's because I have an azerty keyboard or what. Doesn't look like it's something I can rebind, either.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

StrixNebulosa posted:

You're lucky you're playing on PC. Original release on the 360 was horrible with low and inconsistent framerate. Narrow walkways, a dark environment, and choppy movement was a recipe for broken controllers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

The guy who voices Chai does a great job, too. I definitely feel like I've heard that voice before as well.

Robbie Daymond

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I guess I straight up cannot switch chip levels. I get that devs can't account for every keyboard lay-out out there, but please just let us rebind the goddamn keys. All of them.

I hope that mechanic isn't too important, I haven't exactly been dominating up until now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Robbie Daymond

huh, never picked up on that. guy’s got some range

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The best part about blighttown is how once you’ve been through the game a couple times it become a walk in the park to get down there and navigate the space. That’s the best part of Souls, tbh. The feeling of mastery extending beyond the moment to moment gameplay to the space itself.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

The best part about blighttown is how once you’ve been through the game a couple times it become a walk in the park to get down there and navigate the space. That’s the best part of Souls, tbh. The feeling of mastery extending beyond the moment to moment gameplay to the space itself.

:yeah: The way I could feel myself becoming comfortable in ghost town the more I threw myself at it!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just noticed this about Peppermint: she looks exactly like Kale with the eyes and hair. She's his daughter, obvs, and trying to get back at her father because he did something bad to her mother.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Dangit steam thread you’re supposed to warn me *before* games get a price increase so I can buy and not play them at a “steal”.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey thread, my partner's looking for something akin to Tsuki's Odyssey on Steam. He doesn't like Stardew Valley's aesthetic or combat side of things (she really enjoyed Portia because it didn't have a pixel aesthetic fwiw). Any ideas?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sandrock for sure

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Subjunctive posted:

Sandrock for sure

Whoops, forgot to mention she's got that already!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Azran posted:

Hey thread, my partner's looking for something akin to Tsuki's Odyssey on Steam. He doesn't like Stardew Valley's aesthetic or combat side of things (she really enjoyed Portia because it didn't have a pixel aesthetic fwiw). Any ideas?

Chicory: A Colorful Tale, maybe

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Azran posted:

Seems kind of like Animal Crossing?

Honestly, that reminds more of something like https://store.steampowered.com/app/1823900/Creatures_Village/ or Black and White? Not sure if there are any modern entries in that space.

Maybe look at Garden Pets? I don't usually recommend it because SV, Sandrock, and RF4 are all better games, but it might fit the aesthetic they want?

I guess if they're looking for cutesy farming games and don't need much in the way of game mechanics, they might like something like Doraemon ?

You might try posting your question in the farm games thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011042 too.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 22, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

what's all this DLC on V rising's steam page? kinda weird for a game that's still in early access. should I care about any of it?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it's exclusively cosmetic stuff, same as like the DRG dlc. just an unfortunate victim of steam's labeling options i guess

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

if your first playthrough of dark souls doesn't involve getting cursed at some point, it was an incomplete experience

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I assume you guys played this on PC, someone please tell me how I'm supposed to switch levels for upgrades:

It’s not the keybind, higher chip levels need an extra slot per level. They’re not straight upgrades.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Owl Inspector posted:

what's all this DLC on V rising's steam page? kinda weird for a game that's still in early access. should I care about any of it?

100% cosmetic, buy if you think its worth the price or ignore it

also since not everyone checks the early access disclaimer section: store page says there's going to be a price increase when it leaves early access on may 8th

edit: nvm, they already did the price increase, rip if you didnt already buy it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Embracer is splitting into three companies with the dumbest names

quote:

Embracer said in a statement the three companies will be called Asmodee Group, Coffee Stain & Friends, and Middle-earth Enterprises & Friends.

yes, "& Friends" is in two of the companies names. and all three are still public and have to answer to investors

hopefully Satisfactory makes it to 1.0 before this whole operation falls apart

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phlegmish posted:

I just noticed this about Peppermint: she looks exactly like Kale with the eyes and hair. She's his daughter, obvs, and trying to get back at her father because he did something bad to her mother.

Close!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Games Studios & (Shareholder) Friends

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

Embracer is splitting into three companies with the dumbest names

yes, "& Friends" is in two of the companies names. and all three are still public and have to answer to investors

hopefully Satisfactory makes it to 1.0 before this whole operation falls apart

Repeat after me: "Investors are friends, not food!"

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Where are the Deus Ex rights now with Embracer re-forming?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rebel Blob posted:

I finished Colony Ship the other night and I'd like to give it two thumbs up. Old-school RPGs in the Fallout vein (isometric, turn-based) are my favorite gaming niche, and there are quite a few disappointments on that front. In the last year, I've played ATOM RPG, Encased, and Insomnia: The Ark, all of which were majorly flawed. I found Colony Ship consistently solid, a welcome bit of sustained quality that I enjoyed immensely.

I thought it was worth mentioning, as the day after I finished the game, the developers released a decently-sized update (added a map, redesigned some areas, and some new content) and are commemorating the event by putting the game on sale.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256978586/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1698366495
My core recommendation of Colony Ship is that it is a well-designed and self-contained RPG. The closest comparison I can provide is the original Fallout, as another game that heavily relies on traditional pen-and-paper RPG roots. It is designed to replicate a single campaign that one might play on a tabletop RPG, one that can be replayed multiple times with different character builds and decisions for a variety of experiences and endings. It rewards thoughtful players, who put effort into character design and manage their expectations about what any one character can accomplish. It also delivers a good, well-constructed story, one that pays off well based on choices made throughout a playthrough and that doesn't need to be epic in scope. It isn't about saving the galaxy, but the fate of this single generation ship and its 50 thousand souls. There are no precursor races or galactic conquers, but a series of entirely manmade problems.

The combat design is tough and slower-paced than many RPGs, but it is rewarding to master and has options to explore. It is a matter of understanding the combat system and building a character with a narrow focus that takes advantage of compatibilities within the system. It is not a power fantasy, and the limits on what a single character can accomplish creates interesting changes when replaying the game with different character builds. It isn't as restrictive as Age of Decadence was however, both with an optional easier difficulty setting and the ability to outsource skills to NPC party members. It can be somewhat daunting, it might be good to play the demo or experiment a little to understand the character system before committing. If you are generally interested in this type of game but found Age of Decadence too demanding, I'd still recommend giving Colony Ship a shot as it has been noticeably toned down.

Thanks for the news of the update and review! I'd been holding off a bit because I already have so much on my plate but might have to make an exception.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Steam thread: Vagina dentata out of nowhere

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

FrickenMoron posted:

Where are the Deus Ex rights now with Embracer re-forming?

Got cancelled a few months ago after 2 years of development.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
They cancelled the entire rights to Deus Ex? Brutal

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Deus Embracer, Deus Extend, Deus Extinguish.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Deus Ex: Embracer Divided

Jordan7hm posted:

False, I've been through Dark Souls multiple times and upper Blighttown is always a pain in the rear end. In part because I literally always forget to follow the torches.

The rest of the game, yeah I can buzzsaw straight through.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I recommend doing a run of Dark Souls with the fog door randomizer and item randomizer mods that turns the game into a giant maze + scavenger hunt. You will become a master of traversing every area in every possible direction real quick

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
After watching a Noah Caldwell Gervais' video where he says it has a great campaign (which is all I typically play) and it being free on GamePass, I'm in the midst of playing Diablo 4. I'm taking his advice and focusing on just beating the main campaign stories and leaving side-quests for later on so I don't out-level the challenge or lose the narrative pace. So far it's pretty fun and I've just finished Act 1: game gets rather challenging at times, boss fights are a nice spectacle, aesthetic is neat, and so on. Of course, it could just be the honeymoon period, and I certainly don't care for the online open-world aspect that much.

I'm currently playing as a Barbarian and while I'm not sure if it's optimal, I'm setting up my skills in such a way to embrace their arsenal aspect: basically every move has me switching to a different weapon to pull it off and it feels really cool, like something out of Nier Automata or Devil May Cry. Another sub-optimal pick is that I really enjoy using Kick to send enemies flying into walls and each other for damage like I'm playing Streets of Rage, but have to admit that its damage is pretty bad when compared to using something like Charge instead. Oh well! I don't mind making things a bit harder for myself as long as it looks cool.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FutureCop posted:

After watching a Noah Caldwell Gervais' video where he says it has a great campaign (which is all I typically play) and it being free on GamePass, I'm in the midst of playing Diablo 4. I'm taking his advice and focusing on just beating the main campaign stories and leaving side-quests for later on so I don't out-level the challenge or lose the narrative pace. So far it's pretty fun and I've just finished Act 1: game gets rather challenging at times, boss fights are a nice spectacle, aesthetic is neat, and so on. Of course, it could just be the honeymoon period, and I certainly don't care for the online open-world aspect that much.

I'm currently playing as a Barbarian and while I'm not sure if it's optimal, I'm setting up my skills in such a way to embrace their arsenal aspect: basically every move has me switching to a different weapon to pull it off and it feels really cool, like something out of Nier Automata or Devil May Cry. Another sub-optimal pick is that I really enjoy using Kick to send enemies flying into walls and each other for damage like I'm playing Streets of Rage, but have to admit that its damage is pretty bad when compared to using something like Charge instead. Oh well! I don't mind making things a bit harder for myself as long as it looks cool.

ngl I really like Diablo the franchise just because it has a fun and robust main story and AMAZING atmosphere. So spooky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Trick Question posted:

It’s not the keybind, higher chip levels need an extra slot per level. They’re not straight upgrades.

Yeah, someone on Reddit pointed this out as well, lol. The thing is, I can't use 1 to remove chips either, which made me think it was a keyboard problem.

I'm going to see what happens once I get an extra slot, I do hope that's actually the issue, even if it means I get owned for baselessly complaining