Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

The plebians desire the transient pleasure of foreign takeaways, I desire the immortal pleasure of having the state validate my lifetime of thinking I'm better than everyone else for being a tight bastard.

I take pleasure in imagining what an awful, pissy, small little life the miserable old oval office has no doubt led

Edit: Top snipe. No facts needed

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

That last paragraph is peak Telegraph :allears:

Well well. Look who it is

https://twitter.com/peter_pindar/status/1782101130148717049?s=46

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My only issue with CE and BCE is there's more letters. No nice symmetry like AM/PM.

They could have gone with CE and BC. Or like RE and PE just to confuse people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am educated in history which is why I am utterly baffled by extremely normal history terminology.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Guavanaut posted:

They could have gone with CE and BC.

Common Era and Before Christ? Well, it's a compromise I suppose.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Conformité Européenne and British Columbia

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just gently caress the whole thing off and go by vibes-based times.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

History Comes Inside! posted:

Just gently caress the whole thing off and go by vibes-based times.

Like Einsten said, "look, it's like time is all relative, maaaan! Chill bro!"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

She's doing interview rounds....
https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1782053055845826768
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1781925821948514369

:allears:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The fun thing is, Liz Truss causing high interest rates is as true as "Labour left a note saying there is no money left". UK interest rates went up with US ones, was already starting to calm from the Truss panic when she got deposed and then rose to the same level under Sunak, just less dramatically.

But it's the Tories suffering from journalists lack of financial literacy now so lol.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I feel really sorry for the person on the till at the gift shop who had to explain to the History Genius what BCE meant

Liz Truss redemption arc lfg

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Former Prime Minister (Sept-Oct 2022)

The fact that they have to include months will never be not funny.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Prime Minister September 2022 - October 2022

Edit: Fool me for not refreshing, but that is always lovely to look at

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

My only issue with CE and BCE is there's more letters. No nice symmetry like AM/PM.

They could have gone with CE and BC. Or like RE and PE just to confuse people.

Gundam have a great and nonsensical list of these - UC, FC, AC, PD, CC, RC etc etc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Universal Components, Football Club, Alternating Current, Police Department, Credit Card, Remote Control.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Maybe we should just use proper British dates: dating events to the reigns of the various monarchs that ruled parts of what is now the United Kingdom. Might get a bit lengthy to list them all at some points in history and a little apocryphal at others, but at least it's not woke.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If an event happened before the establishment of any known kingdoms in the British Isles it's probably not really worth concerning ourselves with.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

lol at the thread title.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I think it should be BC - Before Colour.

e: 15th November 1969 was when BBC switched over to Colour broadcasting. I think that's where the line should be drawn.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 21, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You can’t set English dates on works originated by a Scot the gammons would revolt

The answer is 30th July 1966, none of them could argue about that

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

It's Gove, [...] I wasn't ready for [...] fishmen,
:dafuq:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
lol i find it so funny how she puts on the deep voice for interviews

i still just see queenie off blackadder doing a bit every time she's in front of a camera

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Only read on this blog but the sources are published, Cass backpedalling furiously as their name turns to poo poo in the eyes of the world and discovers they are now best buds with transphobes and bigots
Of all the many stupid and awful things to come from it, this one actually made me laugh

Stupid mf actually thinks that pronouns in work emails are something to do with gender affirming care and not, say, something that originated from using a text based medium in a multicultural and often multinational work environment where not everyone is going to have the same naming conventions and accidentally misgendering someone could look bad on the organization or department.

I guess he'd solve that by just putting a photo of his genitals in the footer.

I also assume he just does that anyway.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

While we're at it we should all remove our names and job titles from our signatures too. Keep everyone on their toes. Knowing who's who and what they do is woke. Am I the boss? Do I even work here? Nobody knows

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'd just like to make enough to live comfortably on TBH.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Josef bugman posted:

Get a load of this scrounger communist.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Become a politician, graft your way to a dozen consulting jobs and maybe you too can build a patio from blocks of £10 notes.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

drat. Was excited as I already had developer enabled for something else. This works but only for Bluetooth stuff and not wired headphones.

Cheers though - this'll probably come in handy sometime.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The only dating thing that matters is BBY and ABY.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
BBBL and ABBL

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Clearly it's AUC.

Every day we stray further from Jupiter's light.

e: Has a further advantage that it can be both ante and ab, no need for two abbreviations.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 22, 2024

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Just found someones phone, any ideas on how to get it back to them?

No emergency contact details on it.

At the moment my plan is to just wait a few hours and hope someone calls it. I was gonna leave it where it was, but it had clearly been left there all night already.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

fatelvis posted:

Just found someones phone, any ideas on how to get it back to them?

No emergency contact details on it.

At the moment my plan is to just wait a few hours and hope someone calls it. I was gonna leave it where it was, but it had clearly been left there all night already.

simple answer is just take it to the police station

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

That is my last resort, but it doesn't seem like a great way of actually getting it back to it's owner.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I guess just keep it charged and wait for the call and if nobody ever calls, you got yourself a phone

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

The only dating thing that matters is BBY and ABY.

I second this

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fatelvis posted:

That is my last resort

Alright Papa Roach, calm down

No, but if you don't get any calls to it, just try messaging some of the contacts, explain you found the phone & asking if they can help you get in touch with the owner. Assuming there's credit on it anyway

Also why wouldn't someone have a lock screen on their phone precisely in case they lost it?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I suspect it's already locked (but you can see emergency contacts - if any - without unlocking the screen)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Take it to CEX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Microplastics posted:

I guess just keep it charged and wait for the call and if nobody ever calls, you got yourself a phone

I already have a phone, I don't need more junk living around.

forkboy84 posted:

Alright Papa Roach, calm down

No, but if you don't get any calls to it, just try messaging some of the contacts, explain you found the phone & asking if they can help you get in touch with the owner. Assuming there's credit on it anyway

Also why wouldn't someone have a lock screen on their phone precisely in case they lost it?

Unfortunately it's locked. There is a thing where you can add emergency contacts you can call even if the phone is locked, but the owner hasn't done this.

Oh well, I hope they call it.