Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

behind every vaultboy there is a vaultgirl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Male V is the Nomad, Fem V is the other two origins.

Meanwhile, I'm Orbing:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

palindrome posted:

I wish Kerbal space program 2 had any chance of being good but it seems like a complete dumpster fire. I only followed it a little so my details are fuzzy but I recall the studio got bought out, all the good devs left, and the original was made largely by Mexican devs in the first place who never really got paid like they should have (?)

I recall there was some drama like that, and the reddit is dead set against it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sons of the Forest still feels pretty off, there's 10x more cannibals and they all spawn around you constantly, but especially when you're sleeping or at your base. That combined with the fact that you can carry a combined cafeteria, blacksmith, and hospital on your back makes it feel like base building is a trap, but like....it's the sequel to The Forest, which had an achievement for just ignoring the plot and doing base stuff??? The building system is completely overhauled and super cool?? I'd probably play the game solo if that was true but rucking 24/7 and sleeping in lean-tos isn't great for co-op. Mostly just wish server settings could be adjusted after the fact, how is spawn frequency and building damage tied to map generation?

Already feeling like we have to salvage this playthrough to avoid a restart isn't great, but mostly what I don't like about it is how the curious, rare, spontaneous nature of the cannibal encounters in the first game actually made it pretty scary. In this one it's more like tower defense.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/__Scipio__/status/1781889969751052407
lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
KCD has also gotten a huge boost in currently-playing numbers (including myself) presumably because of people who saw that a sequel was coming out and either went back to it, or picked it up for the first time because the devs timed a super-deep sale in line with the sequel announcement

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Walloons would be a step too far, to be sure

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Because "Black" is a contemporary, American, category of race, created by having chattel slavery, and is not universal in time or space.

A medieval moor, even a subsaharan African transported across the Sahara, was not Black in any meaningful sense that we would recognize other then melenation. A contemporary African-American would have dramatically more in common with a medieval Englishmen than he would a Moor or African of the same time in any way you could care to count. This is consistent, certainly within the period we're discussing, I would argue through the 1960's and 70's.

In terms of basic worldview, cultural continuity, language, understanding of social units, economy, etc. a contemporary African American has more (dramatically more) in common with a German or Czech within the Holy Roman Empire of that period, than they would anyone from the Islamic world, and that is more true to a degree that's hard to overstate for subsaharan West Africa.

This is the problem with American discourse on the subject: In some time travel fantasy, the Holy Roman Empire would at least be recognizable to an African American. In their customs (Derived from later English customs), language (Germanic), religious system (typically Christian), an African American would be recognizable to the people of the Holy Roman Empire. Medieval West Africa would be wholly alien, and they alien to it.

If that point has not been made sufficiently clear, look no further than the colonization of Liberia, and the cultural encounter there.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 03:53 on Apr 22, 2024

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
you can type as many words as you like polacks still aren't white

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

To Germans, in the Holy Roman Empire in 1403? Not really, no. More than the Balts, and sub-Polish groups like Kashubians, but they were not on the same footing as Germans, for sure.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Kylo Ren: Moor. MOOR!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Because "Black" is a contemporary, American, category of race, created by having chattel slavery, and is not universal in time or space.

A medieval moor, even a subsaharan African transported across the Sahara, was not Black in any meaningful sense that we would recognize other then melenation. A contemporary African-American would have dramatically more in common with a medieval Englishmen than he would a Moor or African of the same time in any way you could care to count. This is consistent, certainly within the period we're discussing, I would argue through the 1960's and 70's.

yeah it seems like the problem with KCD was less about the abject lack of black people, and more that it has an extremely orientalist view of the Cumans-employed-by-the-Hungarians. It's tracks really closely with Ghosts of Tsushima depicting Mongols as preternaturally evil hordes that love to rape and plunder.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Unlocked a SEKRIT SHIP in Space Rangers 2. Well, unlocked the ability to buy one, it'll be a while before I can afford it and hopefully the system with the station that sells it won't get destroyed by Dominators or pirates in the meantime!

This is my first time playing the War Apart expansion from a few years back and they really added a lot. For example, I'm (theoretically) infiltrating the pirates to undermine them from within. This is complicated by my preferred playstyle not involving doing any piracy so I will take a thousand years to rise through the ranks to a point where I can do any suitable undermining.

I totally survived a haunted mansion though.

Also started a Wasteland party. The remastered version is kinda trippy, modern(ish) graphics, a bit like a tileset mod for a roguelike, but it's still the same old game I played in the 80s (for example I spent literally an entire afternoon rerolling stats because Point Buy wouldn't be invented for another decade). Except I can't do disk swap item duping exploits, but I *can* quicksave and it doesn't take five minutes and four disk swaps to reload a game so I guess it's a fair tradeoff.

It's amazing how all the old memories come flooding back.

Anyway, my party of Expanse refugees has so far (a) hired a machine-gun lady from two towns up , (b) repaired a water pump, (c) powerleveled by looking in a window for a while and (d) rescued a teenager from a rabid dog (at too high a cost)

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
"i'm sorry, the card says moops" ~sir hans

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah it seems like the problem with KCD was less about the abject lack of black people, and more that it has an extremely orientalist view of the Cumans-employed-by-the-Hungarians. It's tracks really closely with Ghosts of Tsushima depicting Mongols as preternaturally evil hordes that love to rape and plunder.

It's funny, because this is a recurring problem in the history of the region, where were have Romantic era Hungarian interpretations of medieval texts create the narrative of wholly alien, savage, pagan, turkic hordes, the Avars are another good example. Then, from the 1960's and 70's on, archaeology is looking for them and doesn't find a trace the way they're described. This is quite a puzzle, particularly in the 1960's where historians working in English still believe in race as a hard and fast concept! Such and such a race invaded, why can't we find a trace of their distinctive racial material culture? The material culture we do find, helmets depicted in manuscripts and so on, is too intermixed with settled, Christian, sites.That doesn't make any sense, does it?

Well, then in the 1990's, it turns out, oops! These Christian farmers are the people we're looking for after all. That's why they didn't have a distinctive "primitive, savage, baby eaters that the Hungarians are definitely the lawful Christian rulers of" archeological record. Somebody worked out that as part of the creation of national mythology and Magyarization in the 1800's, Hungarian historians made other linguistic, cultural, and ethnic groups, who had been living in Hungary for centuries, were settled, Christian, etc. seem like alien invaders so they could be assimilated as part of the political reshuffling of the Austro-Hungarian Empire after the compromise of 1867.

They did it with the Avars, Kabars, Pechenegs and Cumans.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 04:20 on Apr 22, 2024

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It's funny, because this is a recurring problem in the history of the region, where were have Romantic era Hungarian interpretations of medieval texts create the narrative of wholly alien, savage, pagan, turkic hordes, the Avars are another good example. Then, from the 1960's and 70's on, archaeology is looking for them and doesn't find a trace the way they're described. This is quite a puzzle, particularly in the 1960's where historians working in English still believe in race as a hard and fast concept! Such and such a race invaded, why can't we find a trace of their distinctive racial material culture? The material culture we do find, helmets depicted in manuscripts and so on, is too intermixed with settled, Christian, sites.That doesn't make any sense, does it?

Well, then in the 1990's, it turns out, oops! These Christian farmers are the people we're looking for after all. That's why they didn't have a distinctive "primitive, savage, baby eaters that the Hungarians are definitely the lawful Christian rulers of" archeological record. Somebody worked out that as part of the creation of national mythology and Magyarization in the 1800's, Hungarian historians made other linguistic, cultural, and ethnic groups, who had been living in Hungary for centuries, were settled, Christian, etc. seem like alien invaders so they could be assimilated as part of the political reshuffling of the Austro-Hungarian Empire after the compromise of 1867.

They did it with the Avars, Kabars, Pechenegs and Cumans.

Huh I always attributed it earlier Roman Catholic portrayals (through counterreformation testimonies, local church documents, reports back to rome etc) of groups that weren't quite in line with church doctrine getting laundered by uncritical historical interpretation by some historians but I guess good old nation building ethnography makes more sense.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I don't know how they did it. But techland made dying light 2 a bigger pain the rear end somehow lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't know how they did it. But techland made dying light 2 a bigger pain the rear end somehow lol

techland... never changes

i thought dying light 2 sucked a lot, for every step forward there were like 2 giant steps back from 1. also it ran like rear end even on my computer

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The Ungar yearns to return to the Steppes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Xaris posted:

techland... never changes

i thought dying light 2 sucked a lot, for every step forward there were like 2 giant steps back from 1. also it ran like rear end even on my computer

It runs a lot better now and there are some nice QoL changes, but they added a bunch of new enemies since release and they make the game very busy and slightly annoying.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I mean, that's part of it insofar as heresy was a proxy for politics it was also a proxy for "nation". When the leader of a community chose a church, and therefore political recognition of his nation, those accounts survive as church records and vitae, but are also central to national myths. What made someone no longer a barbarian, also made them orthodox, and also created their nation all at once, as far as medieval chroniclers were concerned. Clovis becomes Catholic, the Franks, in that moment, become a civilized nation, because they have a Christian king. Well, in Central Europe, we see the same thing, with more politicking, because they can choose Rome or Constantinople, so to speak. The Hungarians aren't just unique in being the only non-Slavic group with a kingdom in the region, they also (in part for that reason) chose to enter Christendom as Catholics, rather than Orthodox, after playing one against the other to see who offered the most autonomy from the associated empire (HRH or Byzantines).

The Magyar become Hungarians when Stephen I is baptized, and they go from a horde on horseback that Charlemagne's sons were warring against to a nation. Is that what happened as an actual material process? Of course not, obviously they were starting to settle and all of these other things before the recognition, but at the time, baptism and coronation of a national leader made the nation. The stories are all about great kings choosing Christianity out piety or their saintly wives, but it was a prerequisite for political recognition.

Much later, the last pagan nations, the Balts, actually have to work to enter Christendom and have the Germans' crusading called off. Which tells you about the motivations behind the later crusades of the Teutonic Knights, and everything else, no surprises there, but unlike Charlemagne and the conquest of Saxony, when the Lithuanians agree to convert, invite a bishop, the Germans realize that if a King is baptized and coronated the land grab is over so they drag their heels, the Lithuanians really have to work at it. Hold onto that, because it's relevant to what's going on in the Carpathian Basin as well.

Generally, though, the process is a triumph for the leaders involved. Remember, even in a politically divided society, even in the middle of civil war, if you are the leader recognized by the Christians as baptized and coronated, as far as they're concerned, you're the sole king of, say Denmark. That's what Harald Gormsson did. In a stroke, he went from one of many Danish pagans striving for control of some land, to the King of a place called Denmark and people called Danes, which he was recognized to have supreme authority over. That's a huge deal in the Middle Ages, like admission to the UN today.

So, in the region we're talking about, you have the Bulgars become Bulgarians with Boris I, and the Bohemians become Bohemians through the creation of a Duchy with the baptism and coronation of Wenceslaus I. The same is true throughout, a "tribe" becomes a "nation" through the religious recognition of the leader, which comes with the recognition of a title, ideally a king and kingdom, and therefore political and legal recognition of a people. That enters history too, and sees a revival during 19th century nationalism. Each nation in Europe has a story all schoolchildren know about the baptism and coronation of their first king.

It's an ethnogenesis, but also it creates narrative of continuity of a state with defined borders. The crown, or ducal crown, becomes the nation-state. So, "we are Czechs because of Saint Wenceslas, King of the Bohemians, and that's why we're a distinct nation that lives in these borders". That's why when new nations are created in 19th century Europe, they get German princes sent to them to be coronated as their first kings - Greece, Bulgaria, and Romania, all have monarchies created upon independence from the Ottomans, because it's still considered essential for their integration into Europe, even if Europe is no longer a loosely defined Christendom.

Only, not every group within a region gets to be the one with the famous conversion to Christianity, appointment of a bishop, crowning of a king. Especially on the plains of the Carpathian basin, there are all sorts of polities, spread throughout. Through chance, or maybe through not having access to Byzantine or Holy Roman envoys, high (enough) profile missionaries, bordering and having an alliance with an existing Christian polity, some groups are left out of this process. They therefore don't get the recognition the Hungarians do, don't enter into ecclesiastical history with a Saint's Day, national church, famous king ("Good King Wenceslas looked out on the Feast of Stephen" [though maybe that's Saint Stephen the 1st century deacon]) and so on, don't get that relationship with the rest of Christendom.

Without having a king, or duke, there's not really a place for all of these groups in the political system of the Middle Ages. They exist, obviously states have relations with them, but they'e not a nation (anachronism, but they're not a people with a Christian monarch and bishop).

Well, then, throw in the Hungarian Romantic nationalism and then Austro-Hungarian internal politics, and there's no reason for them to ever get that recognition, as far as the people creating the history of the region in the 19th c. are concerned. Recognition of their history, especially a Christian history, with a monarch, has political implications, even in the 19th century, because remember Hungary isn't a nation-state, it's a state overseeing the lands of the Hungarian Crown, which is the crown of the Hungarian nation, within the Dual Monarchy, that medieval formulation. So, if there was a Duke of the Avars in the 9th century, the Avars were Christian, that means the title is legitimate, and so those people, within Austria-Hungary, are probably going to be under, and pay taxes to, the Imperial Lands, rather than the Hungarians, they will probably have some sort of land rights, appeal to the Emperor etc etc. There's a very real motivation for Hungarians in the 19th c. to not dig up anything on the Slavic or Turkic people in modern day Hungary that would lead to historical recognition of them as nations, as so representation within the political system, but rather to assimilate them as quickly as possible.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 05:25 on Apr 22, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

all right, so the Elves have built this motte-and-bailey around the realm of Zaga, but you've devised a plan to help break them out. First, you have to assemble the parts for a Gnomish Flying Machine, and then...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my modem went out so I've been playing ff6 to waste time. I just died to the tunnel armor boss with Locke and Celes for the first time in thirty years and it's particularly humiliating

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i say swears online posted:

my modem went out so I've been playing ff6 to waste time. I just died to the tunnel armor boss with Locke and Celes for the first time in thirty years and it's particularly humiliating

that's what you get for presumably not using celes' ability the one time in the game that it's useful to do so

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

all right, so the Elves have built this motte-and-bailey around the realm of Zaga, but you've devised a plan to help break them out. First, you have to assemble the parts for a Gnomish Flying Machine, and then...

lol

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zokari posted:

that's what you get for presumably not using celes' ability the one time in the game that it's useful to do so

It's also useful in the mage tower iirc

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Buck Wildman posted:

I think folks should just make and enjoy good games and not worry about triggering people into explosive diarrhea

Any temperature or consistency of poo, really

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

KCD has also gotten a huge boost in currently-playing numbers (including myself) presumably because of people who saw that a sequel was coming out and either went back to it, or picked it up for the first time because the devs timed a super-deep sale in line with the sequel announcement

Same, I've also been trying it. I think I just got past the "extended prologue." Not really sure what to do now, so I guess I'll continue the main story (since I don't exactly have any weapons after losing the fancy sword).

I want to get a bow so I can start grinding cash via hunting (apparently sneaky stuff is the big money/loot-maker, but there's no way I'm ever going to get good at the lockpicking on controller).

It also seems like getting a horse will be very helpful just because you can shift loot onto it (so the horse can carry stuff like food), but no idea how to do that.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I want to get a bow so I can start grinding cash via hunting (apparently sneaky stuff is the big money/loot-maker, but there's no way I'm ever going to get good at the lockpicking on controller).

you better not be thinking of poaching you peasant.

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

Kylo Ren: Moor. MOOR!!!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

you better not be thinking of poaching you peasant.

I can't kill animals for money?!

Look, it's either animals or humans. Gotta poach something for cash, because picking up herbs isn't going to make the big bucks.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I can't kill animals for money?!

Look, it's either animals or humans. Gotta poach something for cash, because picking up herbs isn't going to make the big bucks.

do the story and you’ll get permission to hunt eventually.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zokari posted:

I tried!! the boss opened with physical attacks and I had to switch to heals but it was too late. this is what I get for finally skipping the lete river level grind

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

do the story and you’ll get permission to hunt eventually.

Nice.

Hopefully they also give me permission to hunt the Most Dangerous Game - human beings.

Henry going out with the nobles on horseback to shoot arrows in the backs of fleeing peasants - "Father would be proud to see how far I've come"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lmfao holy poo poo I didn't think i'd live to see this day come but apparently 7 Days to Die is finally leaving "Alpha", skipping "Beta", and going directly to 1.0 after like 12 years https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/251570/view/4178852863482883594

did The Fun Pimps just get bored and decide to slap on a 1.0 label or is it actually fully fleshed out now? Havent' played it in many years. it was fun co-op and a good foundation but they never seemed to get a balance of waves/survival vs base building and some kind of "end game" right

still lol that it was in "alpha" for so long and just blasted right to 1.0

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Xaris posted:

lmfao holy poo poo I didn't think i'd live to see this day come but apparently 7 Days to Die is finally leaving "Alpha", skipping "Beta", and going directly to 1.0 after like 12 years https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/251570/view/4178852863482883594

did The Fun Pimps just get bored and decide to slap on a 1.0 label or is it actually fully fleshed out now? Havent' played it in many years. it was fun co-op and a good foundation but they never seemed to get a balance of waves/survival vs base building and some kind of "end game" right

still lol that it was in "alpha" for so long and just blasted right to 1.0

lol theyre actually called the fun pimps

e:

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 09:11 on Apr 22, 2024

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roLVKgsuSqs

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Tankbuster posted:

The Ungar yearns to return to the Steppes.

"Barry Ungar" - Barry Ungar, Jagged Alliance 3

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
they're gonna charge $45 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

that frame rate makes Zelda look buttery smooth.

e: lmao that lightning effect at the end