Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jelly posted:

Ok Rimworld thread. Last time I came in here, before Anomaly was released, I asked if Royalty and Ideology were worth it. I believe I got input from people on both sides that may have liked one but not the other and came away from it thinking maybe I should grab both but ended up just playing more Helldivers and forgetting about it. I'll try to dig through my history and find it but this thread is generally insanely helpful with people who like to share.

My general playstyle is "shut in" I guess. I don't do a lot of quests because I don't have a lot/any experience with caravans and never really broke out of my shell to try them too much. I prefer the 5-man primitive start and like trying all the different biomes as they all offer generally unique approaches at first.

With Anomaly now out, I kind of wanted to regauge what people would recommend and maybe the order of recommended acquisition and what each uniquely bring to the table.

I think the consensus is that Ideology is a little better than Royalty, it just gives you a lot of new and diverse playstyles. Royalty stuff is excellent too, I love psycasts and persona weapons and throne rooms and capes and bionic dick enhancers and etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ideology is fantastic for turning your tics into colony-wide mood boosters or encouraging you to play a certain way, though it can also be seen as dangerously cheesy to give yourself a bunch of free mood positives for doing what you always do or removing any maluses for traditional cheese like pure mountain bases. Of course it's up to you how you feel about that, single player make your own story and all. You can always make it harder too.

Playing outside your comfort zone is great. Want to raid and sack other colonies? Not allowed to harm trees or animals but get super ranching and tree powers? Play some very specific weirdos and ritualistically blind and scar yourselves while sacrificing people? Ideology pairs amazingly well with Biotech for alien faction culture building and Anomaly for the dark side of rituals as now your weirdos can be very powerful black magic cultists.

Ideology is honestly a bit anemic out of the box on tenet options but has great mod support for dozens of new tenets.

Although Royalty is the least of the expacs I think it's good and good at what it does(a pro and anti empire set-up is a good base for two playthroughs), Vanilla Expanded mods added Deserter support/faction work and Psycasting is a great system... with mods! It's kind of basic and easy god mode powers once you're familiar with it and you really have to immerse into a specific idea with some restraint to avoid that.

Kate Lockwell
Feb 17, 2010

I'm going to throw left-handed. Is only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right... over too quickly.
ok Randy bud wanna tone it down a bit?
Toxic fallout (9 days, almost max-duration) into heat wave into unnatural darkness. I don't mind the latter 2 so much but toxic fallout is just so dull. Stick your colonists in a roofed zone and do nothing for hours of play time

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Biotech is the best expansion because it adds the most to the core gameplay. Anomaly is a close second because it adds so many new events and interactions.

Royalty "only" adds quests, psycasts, nobility, an expanded soundtrack, and some new gear, but it's all very well integrated into the base game. Nothing in it feels mod-y or poorly thought out.

Ideology is a gigantic mess of ideas that introduce a bunch of annoying gameplay. It's very good, and has way more depth than royalty, but there are many small annoyances that I'm surprised haven't been ironed out.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Went browsing the workshop to see if there were any other interesting Anomaly reskins, and found something for the Tribal/Medieval players here (myself included): Seal the Spirits, which gives some non-electric low-tech containment options. I appreciate this one, because at the moment it's very simple: a containment platform that doesn't interfere with nature shrines, a cool-looking reinforced door that "is very slow to open," and incense that calms entities and increases containment. No bloat, just nicely thematic options.

However, I'm now wondering whether a low-tech Anomaly run is viable, even with containment options that don't take electricity. Sounds like it ramps up pretty hard as the game goes on? I'm sure it's possible, madmen like Adam vs Everything have convinced me that no Rimworld challenge is too absurd, so when I question viability I'm more wondering if it would be fun and not an exercise in hoping the RNG is favorable and cheesing the gently caress out of it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think a pure low tech run would expect you to pick up at least one mod for stronger bows and to recruit and build your base to support a high number of colonists so you can survive losses better and carpet bomb more things with arrows. Bows scale surprisingly well until you need to deal with large mech attacks.

Having a high number of tribal background colonists also makes for the easiest mass psycaster strategies with the anima tree.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can you turn people into ghouls without electricity? Capturing some hussars and ghouling them would give a pretty nice meatshield.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Neanderthals in plate mail can pretty much do whatever they want, so that's an option.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

The Lone Badger posted:

Can you turn people into ghouls without electricity? Capturing some hussars and ghouling them would give a pretty nice meatshield.

A whole bunch of Anomaly content including ghoul tech is gated behind electricity. Not a huge fan of that, you get the events but you don't get the tools to cope with them until you get past electricity and then do a bunch of anomaly research it unlocks.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I got a Death pall and then right after i got Manhunter pack.

It was Guinea pigs

so now i have an swarm of guinea pigs that refuse to die.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hihohe posted:

It was Guinea pigs

Now you need some little wheels hooked up to a generator.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Now you need some little wheels hooked up to a generator.

You can TECHNICALLY do something like that with the biroferrite generator. YOu capture some of the shamblers, suck out bioferrite, put the bioferrite generator.
repeat and you settlement runs on zombies

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kate Lockwell posted:

Toxic fallout (9 days, almost max-duration) into heat wave into unnatural darkness. I don't mind the latter 2 so much but toxic fallout is just so dull. Stick your colonists in a roofed zone and do nothing for hours of play time

Yeah I think from now on I'm just turning toxic fallout off now. I feel like it should only happen if you're letting waste packs rot.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Soooo I finally hunted down the mod that was making some of my tailor/smithy bills mysteriously disappear: Research Reinvented. Turns out that when pawns studied manufacturing experience at the standing tailor bench that would delete three or four bills from them and from the smithy. No clue why that happens, uninstalling with prejudice bc I spent my morning doing a fresh install and test games with small batches of mods to see if I could figure out wtf was happening.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

So a swarm of guinea pigs might not SEEM like a big problem, but if they just keep getting back up while your pawns keep getting little bites taking out of them then they start to win.

I have one Hellcat rifle im starting to burn the bodies, i dont have a crematorium so i have to use my corn fields for kindling.

why didnt i make more flamethrowers.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I cant believe i nearly got done in by undead guinea pigs

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 22, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah Death Pall is nuts, lol
REALLY gives you incentive to keep your map tidy and use cremators.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hihohe posted:

It was Guinea pigs

Protip: the way to deal with deathpall is to lure the baddies inside. They won't resurrect if they're inside and under a roof. Unfortunately this is kind of pushing people even more toward fully enclosed bases, which was already optimal, and away from open layouts (which is cooler in some ways imo if you want to build a little town but I do like the feeling of a good fort)

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Picked up Ideology and the weed community with great hats is just the spin I was looking for.
Rando'd an amazing map and loving some of the new QOL stuff like wall torches.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is death from old age a thing in RimWorld? I never got far enough for it to be a factor.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I have learned several research topics just by buying books on it and having my colonists randomly choose to read them. I don't know if I'm lucky or what but I swear that books for sale seem biased toward topics I don't have.

Now I wonder what a challenge run where the only research comes from books would look like. It would be extremely up to RNG but it would almost be liberating not to have to dedicate work and space to actual research.

Jack Trades posted:

Is death from old age a thing in RimWorld? I never got far enough for it to be a factor.

I don't think there's outright death from old age but medical problems become more and more likely at advanced ages and immunity gain rate decreases so the character becomes more and more likely to die from a heart attack or infection.

But like in my current run I recruited a 99 year old guy with zero health problems and he lasted with no problems for a couple of years up until an elephant gored his head off so it's really up to RNG.

Flesh Forge posted:

A whole bunch of Anomaly content including ghoul tech is gated behind electricity. Not a huge fan of that, you get the events but you don't get the tools to cope with them until you get past electricity and then do a bunch of anomaly research it unlocks.

Yeah I was thinking "but ghoul infusion is just a medical procedure, at least that can be done without electricity" until I checked and saw that there was a prerequisite for Electricity on its prerequisite chain that I had never noticed.

I get that all the spooky stuff in the Rimworld setting is technological in nature, like rogue nanomachines, insane AIs, and mutants infected with living metal and stuff like that. But it's still weird to me how the weirdest, most forbidden, most terrifying stuff you can do is... all powered by normal-rear end electricity and not space-magic or space-spirits-of-the-damned.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 22, 2024

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Technically speaking, no. Pawns don't drop dead when they hit a certain age or whatever. Practically speaking, as pawns get older they suffer penalties to their immune gain, increased chances of age related diseases to the brain such as alzheimers or dementia, spine, but most lethally increased risk of heart attacks. You can deal with everything except the brain and immune problems via bionics, and those are offset by Luciferium. You'll need more bionics and medicine and probably Luciferium in vanilla as time goes on to compensate for everything, but that's entirely feasible.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There are also two different ways to deage people in official DLC.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was trying to decide if there's an ethical way to use the chronophage ritual, based on how the game worked.
Maybe if people dropped dead after 100 years or something then you could argue for using it on 99 year olds but not really if they have realistic aging like that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I presume if you can give someone the non-senescent gene then you could chronophage the poo poo out of them without killing them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think the chronophage ritual directly causes debilities in the victim as well as aging.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BattleMaster posted:

I have learned several research topics just by buying books on it and having my colonists randomly choose to read them. I don't know if I'm lucky or what but I swear that books for sale seem biased toward topics I don't have.

Per the Rimworld wiki, books are weighted towards research that you don't have yet.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Jack Trades posted:

I was trying to decide if there's an ethical way to use the chronophage ritual, based on how the game worked.
Maybe if people dropped dead after 100 years or something then you could argue for using it on 99 year olds but not really if they have realistic aging like that.

Maybe on sanguophages? They'll heal back the brain scarring eventually and don't care about old age at all.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arcvasti posted:

Maybe on sanguophages? They'll heal back the brain scarring eventually and don't care about old age at all.

They feed on you, you feed on them, everyone gets to be immortal.

Kate Lockwell
Feb 17, 2010

I'm going to throw left-handed. Is only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right... over too quickly.

Doltos posted:

Yeah I think from now on I'm just turning toxic fallout off now. I feel like it should only happen if you're letting waste packs rot.

There was cool friction happening with like, obelisks that needed to be suppressed while the toxic fallout was going on but like, you just change permissions on one pawn, send them out, then they come back

Now blood rain. Hell YEAH that's the poo poo I'm all about. Early on you can just shelter until it ends but when you have a big compound style base you inevitably have to trickle out your colonists to deal with big fuckoff angry beasties with melee damage multipliers.

Blood rain is really just a way better version of toxic fallout as far as how you deal

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Kate Lockwell posted:

This is why Randy is the worst storyteller.

I get around fallout by building roofs over my main outdoor paths and along the outer edges of all my buildings. You can be out in the fallout for quite some time without getting sick, and if you're under a roof it'll tick back down, even if you're outdoors. The big problem for me is it kills all the delicious animals.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Just killed 96 guinea pigs for 4 tech prints

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Chronophagy seems a little OP.

Otoh, I am literally sucking the life out of raiders who get captured and keeping my colony forever young through dark rituals, which kind of owns.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I know Tynan has said that he prefers to not have too much cross-DLC interaction, as not to make people feel they need to pick up other DLCs to get the full experience from one, but I kinda wish anomaly had introduced some new spooky xenogenes

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I know Tynan has said that he prefers to not have too much cross-DLC interaction, as not to make people feel they need to pick up other DLCs to get the full experience from one, but I kinda wish anomaly had introduced some new spooky xenogenes

I'm really not a fan of the idea of keeping the DLC separate.
They should be doing the opposite, integrating all the DLC with each other as much as possible to make the game feel more like a coherent whole.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I feel like Anomaly has more connection to Royalty than to the other two DLCs. Void rituals and psycasts pretty much go together, especially when you have a skip abduction ritual.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Body horror genemodding would've been a cherry on top.

But this kind of thing is pretty great.

Jack Trades posted:

The DLC constantly makes me go "eww! Neat."

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Jack Trades posted:

I'm really not a fan of the idea of keeping the DLC separate.
They should be doing the opposite, integrating all the DLC with each other as much as possible to make the game feel more like a coherent whole.

Or at least add in interactions if you have more than one. It would make deciding which expansions to turn on and which to turn off more of an interesting decision.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Chronophagy seems a little OP.

Otoh, I am literally sucking the life out of raiders who get captured and keeping my colony forever young through dark rituals, which kind of owns.

I think of it as high velocity community service. Shoot at me you lose 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My favourite QoL update in 1.5 is there's finally a search feature. All those times I've zoomed in and examined every square in my storage rooms for something I knew I had somewhere