Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ZeusCannon posted:

Can someone explain the fire dot bug?
Sometimes, if you aren't the host, setting enemies on fire does no damage. It's fairly easy to tell when it's happening or not because small bugs and bugs should die from a single application of fire.

To add confusion some people say the network host can be different from the lobby host, though I've never seen any proof of this and my anecdotal experience suggests differently. (I've been in games with 1 euro goon hosting 3 NA goons and it led to connection issues until we had one of the NA players host instead.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

ZeusCannon posted:

Can someone explain the fire dot bug?

the people who aren't the network host have damage over time effects (fire, gas) do less or no damage

this does not effect the direct flame damage- ie. shooting something with a flamethrower kills stuff, but shooting it and then letting it burn might not work

maybe this doesn't always happen? but who knows

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I hope they add those mech stratagems you guys were suggesting, but make them cost 50001 req. just to make the community poo poo themselves.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Just had some guy join with a cooldown cheat, constantly throwing down sentries. It actually took until the second map to cotton to it, partly because he wasn't doing as much the first time, partly because it was a rocket defend and everyone else had also loaded upon turrets.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The ones I always see are people with infinite grenades.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mordja posted:

Just had some guy join with a cooldown cheat, constantly throwing down sentries. It actually took until the second map to cotton to it, partly because he wasn't doing as much the first time, partly because it was a rocket defend and everyone else had also loaded upon turrets.

In 100+ hours I've only encountered one guy hacking. Running around at 3x movement speed, wearing a shield generator backpack with infinite health, firing Scorcher rounds and EATs with infinite ammo/increased fire rate/no reload. Guess if you're going to cheat you might as well do them all at once.

When we finished the mission the completion screen bugged out and nobody got any experience/samples.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

To be fair, are we even certain the dot damage bug is host related at all? It could just be 'sometimes dot does no damage because it's bugged for a match'

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dyz posted:

The ones I always see are people with infinite grenades.

That one's not even a cheat, it's just a glitch that's super easy to do.

- wield your grenade by pressing 4 (don't use quick throw)
- throw grenades until you have 1 left
- throw this grenade while spamming ctrl or whatever you use for stratagem menu
- the counter will go down to 0 but you'll still have a grenade in your hand
- also throw this grenade while spamming ctrl
- the counter will go down to -1
- now you have infinite grenades, use them as usual

it's cheesy but it's fun to do on a lark. try it with the incendiary ones!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

FunkyFjord posted:

To be fair, are we even certain the dot damage bug is host related at all? It could just be 'sometimes dot does no damage because it's bugged for a match'

I've never experienced the bug as either the host or the non-host and as far as I know no one has ever had the bug when joining a game I was hosting. My guess is it is specifically caused when you get desynced from the host because the host has bad Internet.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I wish they'd fix the Reinforcements stat, which has seemed to either show 0 or 1 no matter how many times you reinforce since the game was released. I'm not Good At Video Games but my fingers have memorized the Reinforcements strategem and I can just fire it off really fast in the middle of a fight, and on a lot of missions I'm pretty sure I'm the only one ever reviving anyone.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
While it’s better than not being revived, man do I not like it when we split into two squads of two and the people across the map call me in next to them before my squad mate is able to call me in. I get it if their squaddie dies too, no helping that.

But otherwise use your head and think before yeeting that pokeball out there — better yet, communicate

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Sindai posted:

Sometimes, if you aren't the host, setting enemies on fire does no damage. It's fairly easy to tell when it's happening or not because small bugs and bugs should die from a single application of fire.

To add confusion some people say the network host can be different from the lobby host, though I've never seen any proof of this and my anecdotal experience suggests differently. (I've been in games with 1 euro goon hosting 3 NA goons and it led to connection issues until we had one of the NA players host instead.)

In my experience, the host was always the person who had the orange colored player indicator. I would then see the game specify who was now the new host whenever that orange player dropped from the game. Granted most of that was when I did quickplay, so I'm not sure how much water that holds.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I used the erupter on a bug mission.

Now bug missions are fun.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I don’t gently caress with the 15min civilian evacuation missions but I’ve been having success on the High Value Target Bot Defense missions by sacrificing a sentry and taking a 380. The other guys had Quasars and were warned to watch for that spot where a strider can just cannon the generators.

Fully upgraded 380mm along with all the other mortars has created a wall of metal that bought enough time for rocket 8 to get out. It was also crucial that you don’t let them get a flare up when the gates are crashed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wonder how the flare/burst call AI works in defense missions. I swear they're somehow smart about not doing it until they've gotten as close as they possibly can, which is very different from how it works in regular missions.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I know there are cliffs on the coasts that you can fall into and drown/not climb out but I just ran into water that was in the middle of a map and it was just a tiny pool of water but because there were no shores to help climb out of it I just ended up drowning. I fell into it from a rock and the whole area had fencing surrounding it so the only way to access it is to fall in on the rock side. Ended up losing a couple of samples :(

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Got to play a defense mission and everything was going swimmingly until it spawned four Bile Striders and three chargers effectively simultaneously. We might still have rallied if we had a bunch of EATs, but there was an autocannon personal objective.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Rng hits those missions hard, one mission it's 10 minutes of watching hunter's fly into 4 peoples lasbackpacks and turrets, the next mission it's immediately multiple titans smashing down the doors before 4 people even join up.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
The best ones are the ones where everyone brings mortar turrets except the guy who actually brings something that can deal with the pentuple Bile Titan spawn but he's too busy getting ragdolled by all the helpful mortars

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
the HVT missions have elevated positions to drop AC turrets with good fields of fire and a couple of those will chunk chargers and bile titans quite well

good opportunity to bust out the HMG emplacement, as well

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not I
https://i.imgur.com/GSc0CCb.mp4

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

so eagle 1 itself even does damage

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Strong Sauce posted:

I know there are cliffs on the coasts that you can fall into and drown/not climb out but I just ran into water that was in the middle of a map and it was just a tiny pool of water but because there were no shores to help climb out of it I just ended up drowning. I fell into it from a rock and the whole area had fencing surrounding it so the only way to access it is to fall in on the rock side. Ended up losing a couple of samples :(

What's that Lassie? Timmy fell into a well?!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A what? A "vernen" well? What the heck is that? Oh I always knew this day would come Lassie. Your mind has gone, eh girl? I'll get the gun.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

imagine getting cryo-frozen for an untold amount of time just to last 30 seconds and have it recorded for everyone to see. amazing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If you use your mechs judiciously, by the time they run out of ammo your buddies' support weapon call ins will be off cooldown so you can get alternative gear.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I love that the eagle has collision. Why would it need it?

To absolutely destroy any helldiver who gets thrown that high

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Eagle kamikaze stratagem when

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It can definitely be tuned, but I like the mechs as situational strategic assets that you use for mobile defense of a point, heavy support during an assault or similar. We had fun stomping around in four mechs on lower difficulties, but ultimately they're cumbersome things that are fine to abandon when they've served their purpose. I'm not sure I encounter more than a couple of situations like that per mission either, so having additional use or two wouldn't hurt, but it doesn't feel debilitating.

So with that in mind, they could up their ability to deal rapid damage by exchanging 200 gatling shots for a few more rockets or something like that, just really drill down on making them really useful for a limited span of time.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

:perfect:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

It can definitely be tuned, but I like the mechs as situational strategic assets that you use for mobile defense of a point, heavy support during an assault or similar. We had fun stomping around in four mechs on lower difficulties, but ultimately they're cumbersome things that are fine to abandon when they've served their purpose. I'm not sure I encounter more than a couple of situations like that per mission either, so having additional use or two wouldn't hurt, but it doesn't feel debilitating.

So with that in mind, they could up their ability to deal rapid damage by exchanging 200 gatling shots for a few more rockets or something like that, just really drill down on making them really useful for a limited span of time.

Make them self destruct after ~2 minutes with warnings at 30 seconds and 10.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

No thanks on the timer but adding a manual self destruct would replace “well it’s out of ammo, I guess I’ll just…leave it here” with something fun. Add that and fix the rocket aim and I’d be happy with them.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm not stuck; you're stuck.

https://i.imgur.com/JxjQ5cu.mp4

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

runchild posted:

No thanks on the timer but adding a manual self destruct would replace “well it’s out of ammo, I guess I’ll just…leave it here” with something fun. Add that and fix the rocket aim and I’d be happy with them.

SEriously, this. Instead of just getting out and letting the mech just sit there once it's out of ammo, give it a self-destruct strategem that'll just make it keep walking forward and explode hellbomb-style after a timer.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Fishstick posted:

SEriously, this. Instead of just getting out and letting the mech just sit there once it's out of ammo, give it a self-destruct strategem that'll just make it keep walking forward and explode hellbomb-style after a timer.

That feels like a future ship unlock for a new mech bay or something.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

ZeusCannon posted:

What's that Lassie? Timmy fell into a well?!

"save me laser rover! NO! not like that!"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Exploding mechs and keep the limited drop count but cut the cooldown quite a bit.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The amount of events that had to happen to determine that Eagle 1 does collision damage is amazing.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Be fun if they work like D.VA, push the self destruct button and the mech just runs forward and either explodes after a few seconds or if it hits an enemy.

AC is so nice for bugs, but I do struggle against bile titans quite a bit. I usually run laser/railcannon/500k/AC. I have a few tools to take care of them, but when they are on CD I just run :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

tehinternet posted:

Unironic skill issue. Use it a couple more times and get a feel for the angle it shoots at and the lead time you need.

It definitely has limitations in declination though.

No it’s awkward and strange to aim maybe because each rocket shoots from a different spot on the launcher?