Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Ytlaya posted:

For some reason my mind keeps trying to fit this to the melody of the "Worthless" song from The Brave Little Toaster

Is this musical ever even slightly critical of Hamilton? It seems like everyone just talks about how awesome he is constantly.

In the best works of fiction, there's no mustache-twirling villain. I try to write shows where even the bad guy's got his reasons.

e: Burr snipe

Lin-Manuel Turtle has issued a correction as of 09:51 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sydin posted:

Poked my head into the bad thread out of boredom and they're currently arguing that if you think the Boeing whistleblower was murdered instead of believing he killed himself after he explicitly told a ton of people in confidence "I'm not going to kill myself, I'm not suicidal, if I commit 'suicide' I have been murdered" then you are - in fact - a crackpot conspiracy theorist.

lol
The only reasonable explanation is that his hatred for Boeing is so intense that he said that deliberately before he killed himself to make the company look guilty.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PirVtiJuvDs

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Lin-Manuel Turtle posted:

[ELIZA]
Ha!
Two weeks later
In the living room stressin’
My father’s stone-faced
While you’re asking for his blessin’
I’m dying inside, as
You wine
And dine
And I’m tryin’ not to cry
‘cause there’s nothing that your mind can’t do
My father makes his way across the room
To you
I panic for a second, thinking
“we’re through”
But then he shakes your hand and says
“Be true”
And you turn back to me, smiling, and I’m
Helpless!

The quality of the lyrics is pretty much the same throughout, but it's remarkable how much better the musical sounds whenever LMM isn't singing.

Ytlaya posted:

For some reason my mind keeps trying to fit this to the melody of the "Worthless" song from The Brave Little Toaster

Is this musical ever even slightly critical of Hamilton? It seems like everyone just talks about how awesome he is constantly.

The back half of the musical is pretty much a downward spiral for Hamilton, mirroring the actual history, but IIRC the only thing it actually criticizes him for is for stepping out on his hot wife.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

my bony fealty posted:

personally I greatly envy the simple, who can be satisfied with what their betters tell them the world is

I mentioned this story the day it broke to the former CFO of Disney in passing to see if at the top end they flinch. Just cold shock. An American Corporation? Murder? Meanwhile he wanted a windows add-on made in Russia that fixed his taskbar removed and settled for some taskbar mod that is demonstably worse to not have Russian code on his computer...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It must be an incredible source of comfort, living in that sort of fantasy world

It is until it's not. We've seen how liberals are a breath away from snapping because their fantasy is fragile as gossamer.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

joepinetree posted:

liberals have forgiven george w bush but not ralph nader, after all

Ralph Nader doomed this country with his selfish 3rd party run, handing the election to Bush. Also Bush was a decent man who was guided by his moral principles, even if I disagree with him on some points he is worthy of respect.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rochallor posted:

The quality of the lyrics is pretty much the same throughout, but it's remarkable how much better the musical sounds whenever LMM isn't singing.

The back half of the musical is pretty much a downward spiral for Hamilton, mirroring the actual history, but IIRC the only thing it actually criticizes him for is for stepping out on his hot wife.

Even that is framed as not his fault really (he was tempted by a temptress and try though he might he couldn't resist)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I had a great uncle that died when his plane flew into the side of a mountain due to cloud cover during the korean War. I'm basically a biden.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the_steve posted:

I've said it a million times; Nothing would piss a liberal off more than knowing you voted third party. They would honestly prefer you vote republican before you vote 3rd party.

well of course they do, because then they could rationalize that they just haven't offered you enough tax cuts and bombings of the middle east - so sorry about that! we'll do better next time!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

loquacius posted:

People just think antisemitism isn't real now because Eve Fartlow said "free Palestine" is antisemitism but if I wander into the replies of the wrong tweet I get a bunch of identical pepes demanding I take responsibility for the historical crimes of Jewish pedophiles or something

Do you condemn the historical crimes of Jewish pedophiles?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

"My uncle was eaten by cannibals" is just another practiced part of Joe's public speaking repertoire that is meant to garner sympathy like "my wife and daughter were killed by a drunk driver" and "my son died in iraq"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my uncle died in Korea. he was flying the crashed germ warfare plane.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Rubellavator posted:

"My uncle was eaten by cannibals" is just another practiced part of Joe's public speaking repertoire that is meant to garner sympathy like "my wife and daughter were killed by a drunk driver" and "my son died in iraq"

Wouldn't it be better to say "was downed by the Imperial Japanese Army Air Service over New Guinea"? Or even "went missing and probably died in a Japanese prison camp somewhere in New Guinea"?

e: as far as realpolitik, shouldn't we be charming Papua New Guinea to be a barrier (ablative shield for Australia) against Chinese aggression, as well as supporting the right to self determination for the people of Western New Guinea against Indonesia aggression... or whatever?

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 13:01 on Apr 22, 2024

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Wouldn't it be better to say "was downed by the Imperial Japanese Army Air Service over New Guinea"? Or even "went missing and probably died in a Japanese prison camp somewhere in New Guinea"?

e: as far as realpolitik, shouldn't we be charming Papua New Guinea to be a barrier (ablative shield for Australia) against Chinese aggression, as well as supporting the right to self determination for the people of Western New Guinea against Indonesia aggression... or whatever?

No because the Japanese are our friends and these stories can't have any nuance that requires further explanation.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
it's a wacky story he used to tell for laughs in the old boys club that doesnt work on the general public in 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

the_steve posted:

I've said it a million times; Nothing would piss a liberal off more than knowing you voted third party. They would honestly prefer you vote republican before you vote 3rd party.

I think telling them that you're not voting at all pisses them off as much, if not more, than saying, "I'm going for Dr. Jill Stein". Voting is a right, and you're privileged to vote however you choose - just not that way.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

RealityWarCriminal posted:

it's a wacky story he used to tell for laughs in the old boys club that doesnt work on the general public in 2024

When did Gilligan’s Island air?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

RealityWarCriminal posted:

all of his dumb lies are like this

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Marjorie Taylor Greene calls on Johnson to resign after foreign aid bills pass: ‘If he doesn’t do so, he will be vacated’

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/21/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-calls-on-johnson-to-resign-after-house-approves-ukraine-aid/index.html

CUT TO:

First Democrat publicly says he would vote to save Mike Johnson's job since massive aid push passes

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/04/21/ro-khanna-mike-johnson-job/73404597007/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Carter supported the Indonesian genocide of the East Timorese, they're not about to give a poo poo about New Guinea.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^ that too, also Indonesia is the real power there between the two.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

China and the US are already wooing Indonesia for that exact reason and China has the edge in the two-way seduction contest (despite maritime troubles) so Biden calling the Papuans cannibals is a classic biden realpolitik move to catch up.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Lin-Manuel Turtle posted:

In 'Hamilton,' we're telling the stories of old, dead white men, but we're using actors of color, and that makes the story more immediate and more accessible to a contemporary audience.

Hamilton reminds me of a scene in the "Watchmen" hbo show where the secret nazi police chief takes his black friend to see "gone with the wind" play with an all black cast.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

mrbotus posted:

Hamilton reminds me of a scene in the "Watchmen" hbo show where the secret nazi police chief takes his black friend to see "gone with the wind" play with an all black cast.
Well, it kinda makes sense since Orson Welles was already producing "Macbeth" with an all-black cast (with an intrigue relocated in Haiti, i believe) during the 1930s. It must reminds the nazi of the good old days.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Rubellavator posted:

These fuckers can't help themselves

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1665408221777936386

Harry Frankfurt, On Bullshit posted:

What bullshit essentially misrepresents is neither the state of affairs to which it refers nor the beliefs of the speaker concerning that state of affairs. Those are what lies misrepresent, by virtue of being false. Since bullshit need not be false, it differs from lies in its misrepresentational intent. The bullshitter may not deceive us, or even intend to do so, either about the facts or about what he takes the facts to be. What he does necessarily attempt to deceive us about is his enterprise. His only indispensably distinctive characteristic is that in a certain way he misrepresents what he is up to.

This is the crux of the distinction between him and the liar. Both he and the liar represent themselves falsely as endeavoring to communicate the truth. The success of each depends upon deceiving us about that. But the fact about himself that the liar hides is that he is attempting to lead us away from a correct apprehension of reality; we are not to know that he wants us to believe something he supposes to be false. The fact about himself that the bullshitter hides, on the other hand, is that the truth-values of his statements are of no central interest to him; what we are not to understand is that his intention is neither to report the truth nor to conceal it. This does not mean that his speech is anarchically impulsive, but that the motive guiding and controlling it is unconcerned with how the things about which he speaks truly are.

It is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction. A person who lies is thereby responding to the truth, and he is to that extent respectful of it. When an honest man speaks, he says only what he believes to be true; and for the liar, it is correspondingly indispensable that he considers his statements to be false. For the bullshitter, however, all these bets are off: he is neither on the side of the true nor on the side of the false. His eye is not on the facts at all, as the eyes of the honest man and of the liar are, except insofar as they may be pertinent to his interest in getting away with what he says. He does not care whether the things he says describe reality correctly. He just picks them out, or makes them up, to suit his purpose

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://x.com/HuffPostPol/status/1782399533793620267

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

and yet people will freely identify judges as liberal or conservative all the time :thunk:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

what do people think "politics" means?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think telling them that you're not voting at all pisses them off as much, if not more, than saying, "I'm going for Dr. Jill Stein". Voting is a right, and you're privileged to vote however you choose - just not that way.

Nah, I think voting 3rd is still the greater sin to them.

Not voting is merely failing to surrender a dem's rightfully entitled vote to them. Voting 3p is, in their mind, stealing that rightfully belonged vote and giving it to someone else, and according to lib math, doing this somehow manages to simultaneously remove a vote from the dem's existing total as well as adds one to the 3rd party candidate's total and adds 5 to the republican total.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

the_steve posted:

Nah, I think voting 3rd is still the greater sin to them.

Not voting is merely failing to surrender a dem's rightfully entitled vote to them. Voting 3p is, in their mind, stealing that rightfully belonged vote and giving it to someone else, and according to lib math, doing this somehow manages to simultaneously remove a vote from the dem's existing total as well as adds one to the 3rd party candidate's total and adds 5 to the republican total.

yeah i like when they do third party math and like add the Libertarian vote total to the Democratic party

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I forget who said it, but someone posted a month or two ago that American politics is now just "do you like Trump, yes/no?" And it's not like that prior to Escalator Day was much better, but I don't think it was quite as centered on just one person.

And despite Trump being a nazi rapist (like the rest of America's power), it's pretty impressive he's hijacked the consciousness since coming down the escalator.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
what are they going to do once trump finally dies

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

if trump didn’t exist we would have to create him.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I wonder what it is like to live in such a childlike state - if he really believes this.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

SixteenShells posted:

We can't have nice things we need to get in line behind Numbers Fuckstein III, ESQ and his ultra-genocide, because otherwise Tucker Carlson will win and crown himself Emperor of Mankind

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

SixteenShells posted:

🎵Well, I've been afraid of changin'
'Cause I've built my life around you🎵

I honestly think the chuds and libs will just cadaver synod him for eternity.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 15:36 on Apr 22, 2024

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

SixteenShells posted:

brunchtime bitch

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

they never actually stopped going to brunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Big shock that a guy with a lifetime sinecure in the same institution is all "it doesn't look like anything to me"