Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i mean i get that he has a stake in absolutely nothing changing, but it's just a nonsense statement. if you haven't "seen" politics in 40 years of being on the council Politics-Okayers then what the gently caress have you been doing, playing Bridge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

what do people think "politics" means?

I think by "politics" he means "responsive to public opinion".

quote:

Breyer explained that during his time as chief counsel for then-Senate Judiciary Chair Ted Kennedy he saw political calculations informing decisions on an everyday basis, adding that wasn’t the case on the court.

“No, that isn’t there,” he said. “That just isn’t there.”

Breyer also weighed in on whether justices allow public opinion to sway them when deliberating a controversial case.

“Well I can never say never, but rarely,” Breyer replied.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

law lol

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

politics makes my tummy hurt

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SixteenShells posted:

what are they going to do once trump finally dies

Rehabilitate him so they can say that the next Republican frontperson is somehow even worse.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
polit icks

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

SixteenShells posted:

yeah that's kind of a bullshit headline. the judges all have strong ideologies that motivate every decision and were selected specifically because of that, but it's probably more-or-less true that they don't pay much attention to opinion polls or what the party leadership wants to happen. it's not entirely true, though, because almost every time Roberts was a swing vote it was obviously politically calculated.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/mattyglesias/status/1782404939500646667

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Maybe Biden should stop supporting mass murder in Gaza then, if it's helping Trump get elected

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nichael posted:

tthe democrat party hates democratcy

They define Democracy as rule by the Democratic Party, and they like that, but yes they hate that whole pesky free will and accountability thing that’s an important part of actual democracy.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

brain as smooth as his bald-rear end head

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

so morally corrupt he can't think of a reason to protest genocide if it hurts his guy.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

it sure is! too bad Biden can't do anything about it

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

also you're drat right they'd be protesting cop city if the convention were being held in atlanta but otoh cop city has yet to kill 100k people (give it time).

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
so ~vexing~ that "we'll kill you nicer than the other guy" isn't enough to earn people's support....

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/SenSchumer/status/1782428725583430110

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

hitler youth 2

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

pass a carbon tax you stupid gently caress

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

SixteenShells posted:

maybe, maybe he means quid pro quo or calculated decisions. "If you rule x on this case then we can push y, we can't push z in the house, please expand the scope of that case so that we can cover it" type poo poo

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

SixteenShells posted:

what are they going to do once trump finally dies

resurrect him so they can continue to fund raise

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
He's lying HTH

TeenageArchipelago posted:

maybe, maybe he means quid pro quo or calculated decisions. "If you rule x on this case then we can push y, we can't push z in the house, please expand the scope of that case so that we can cover it" type poo poo

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Vim Fuego posted:

He's lying HTH

he can't just do that!!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ArmedZombie posted:

pass a carbon tax you stupid gently caress

https://x.com/TheDemocrats/status/1782396466264150360

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pro-Palestine protestors do no such thing. If you try to "But TWUMP!" them, the vast majority will tell you that Trump and Biden are equally genocidal and terrible for Gazans. So big surprise that Mr. Politics Understanding Bald Pundit doesn't actually understand jack poo poo.

the_steve posted:

Nah, I think voting 3rd is still the greater sin to them.

Not voting is merely failing to surrender a dem's rightfully entitled vote to them. Voting 3p is, in their mind, stealing that rightfully belonged vote and giving it to someone else, and according to lib math, doing this somehow manages to simultaneously remove a vote from the dem's existing total as well as adds one to the 3rd party candidate's total and adds 5 to the republican total.

Well, I'll do the typical C-Spam thing of not voting but telling liberals that I voted for Stein for maximum fireworks (it's not that I don't like Stein; I just don't believe in playing a rigged game by voting).

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

better give israel more money and weapons then

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

better give israel more money and weapons then

mad?

yeah me too

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/03/15/biden-approved-willow-project-explained/11478463002/

??????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Its literally IN the refuge he claims to have cancelled leases in.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What do they even do? Are they like the guys who built bridges and trails after the great depression?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

silicone thrills posted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/03/15/biden-approved-willow-project-explained/11478463002/

Listen fat, do you want TRUMP to win??? We gotta keep oil prices down.

mags
May 30, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

"If you voted for Biden you owe me gas money" bumper sticker on a F850 Super Truck types will definitely vote for him now

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah she helped create the context into which obama could sell his plan to staff the gov with conservatives

That’s not even what the book is about! Lincoln’s “team of rivals” were political rivals from his own party. They were rivals in terms of personal career advancement. Which is very different from Obama staffing his administration with people politically opposed to the stuff Obama himself had ran on!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Wemus posted:

What do they even do? Are they like the guys who built bridges and trails after the great depression?

Climate Corps is an award-winning fellowship program that provides professional development opportunities for emerging leaders by implementing sustainability and resiliency projects with local governments, nonprofits, and for-profit businesses.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I know Yglesias is paid to be that way, but do you think he knows it?

Like, when he comes up with contrarian takes that are annoying and pedantic to support the status quo, is he punching the clock, or does he really think it's a good idea?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

fits my needs posted:

Climate Corps is an award-winning fellowship program that provides professional development opportunities for emerging leaders by implementing sustainability and resiliency projects with local governments, nonprofits, and for-profit businesses.

sounds like corporate speaker bullshit and resume polishing

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Like, when he comes up with contrarian takes that are annoying and pedantic to support the status quo, is he punching the clock, or does he really think it's a good idea?

Like every other establishment pundit, he's a moron.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

He thinks he's very intelligent because he thinks unique thoughts no one else has had

mags
May 30, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

he knows exactly what hes doing and he loves it.

he gets paid a lot to live in a beautiful, walkable city with tree lined streets and world class restaurants and he's paid to piss off people who hate that city and the Freedoms it represents

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

https://x.com/aklingus/status/1782432276602835028

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

i don't think he knows any more. It's probably a combination of "if I'm being paid to have these ideas, they must be useful somehow" and "if you think the idea is so bad, why are you engaging with it?" where his entire existence is justified by the reaction he gathers from the latest take.

but he has expressed before that he believes producing "contrarian" takes is the best way to raise your profile in the world of like op-ed writers so he is aware that he is saying controversial things and not simply "the best idea", which puts it closer to the former than the latter imo.