Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

GhostDog posted:

Got cancelled a few months ago after 2 years of development.

Sucks so hard.

I still cant imagine how Embracer hosed up so badly. I mean why a company would take a verbal agreement and then spend money like it was a guaranteed thing before it ever went through. What loving morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

strategery posted:

Sucks so hard.

I still cant imagine how Embracer hosed up so badly. I mean why a company would take a verbal agreement and then spend money like it was a guaranteed thing before it ever went through. What loving morons.

:capitalism:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

strategery posted:

Sucks so hard.

when it works it works

when it doesn't work you lay everyone off and cash out

why wouldn't they?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Volte posted:

They cancelled the entire rights to Deus Ex? Brutal

lmao kinda misread that. Although I guess that'll be the practical reality for Deus Ex for a good while.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Tiny Timbs posted:

when it works it works

when it doesn't work you lay everyone off and cash out

why wouldn't they?
Second Wind had an interesting video a few weeks ago about why video game executives make the decisions they do. Embracer Group is transparent about it: their business isn't about making games but to "always maximizing shareholder value in any given situation."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuIitYcoSiE

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

habituallyred posted:

Its nuts that they haven't just called it Cogmind 3.0 at this point. Don't like the default way to play? Scroll the steam guides for the variant modes. Play the game as an RPG with almost indestructible parts backed up by leveling up your stats directly. Play the game with "lootboxes" where you can just buy the parts you want with funny money. Have a run with an AI buddy where you share parts! I never even looked at the halloween abomination mode where enemies randomly add bits to themselves.

Its nuts.

The 7drl "demo" Polybius is also made in the same engine.

edit: there is apparently also a mode where you just bodyjack enemy bots

Thanks for the little writeup on cogmind (you and the other people talking about it). I haven't played it in a couple years and went back to it after reading these posts and I'm hooked all over again

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

embracer put their entire 900m euro debt on Asmodee so Asmodee is probably going to suffer bigtime

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Pretty amazing you can just assign debt to one part of the company and split it off.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

One Weird Trick

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Phigs posted:

Pretty amazing you can just assign debt to one part of the company and split it off.

when the numbers get big enough rules are fake

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Once they invoked the writ of no take-backsies it was all over.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that what Embracer is doing is illegal.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I said come in! posted:

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that what Embracer is doing is illegal.

C'mon now, do you really not know what hellworld you are living in?

Value! Shareholders! Law and rules for you and me, but not for them!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Loading a department with debt and spinning it off is extremely legal

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

embracer put their entire 900m euro debt on Asmodee so Asmodee is probably going to suffer bigtime

That's wild. Asmodee was/is kind of a big board games and roleplaying games publisher in France, like the physical stuff, long before starting to branch out in video game adaptations of board games. Embracer is an absolute plague.

edit: oh, and I had forgotten that Asmodee had merge with Fantasy Flight Games, another pretty big name in board gaming...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ok blighttown sucks so bad I think I'm probably going to do the ultra-long backtrek to get my axe upgraded because gently caress all of this. Dark Souls let's talk about your level design, and how it does not mesh with blowguns

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phigs posted:

That's like...literally the oldest trick in the book. The book being the Bible.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ok blighttown sucks so bad I think I'm probably going to do the ultra-long backtrek to get my axe upgraded because gently caress all of this. Dark Souls let's talk about your level design, and how it does not mesh with blowguns

The really bad blow gun guys that do toxic don't respawn one you kill them once.

There's a bonfire near halfway down but that probably isn't a huge help.

Stick with it!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

and Embracer will resume M&A btw, now that they've done this split. hahah haa hahaha hahahah eHAHA AHHAh AHHAHA hahah ahAH AAHAH HAHAa

-_-

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

The 7th Guest posted:

and Embracer will resume M&A btw, now that they've done this split. hahah haa hahaha hahahah eHAHA AHHAh AHHAHA hahah ahAH AAHAH HAHAa

-_-

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/embracer-ceo-says-restructuring-is-over-no-other-studios-for-sale

Yeah, guess that makes this a bit of an evil genie situation, huh?

Embracer won't be doing any of those things.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

From one of the Embracer press releases:

quote:

The Group has an extensive catalog of over 9003 fully owned or controlled franchises, including some of the most popular and iconic titles in gaming, comics, and other media.

I don't know how they're counting that.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

C'mon now, do you really not know what hellworld you are living in?

Value! Shareholders! Law and rules for you and me, but not for them!

I dunno, there is the Trump New York State fraud trial that just recently wrapped up, but he was committing fraud against banks for billions of dollars.

But also lots of respect for a good use of a King of Fighters gif.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's not a crime unless people with more money than you are losing money.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is coming to Game Pass Ultimate and EA Play on April 25

quote:

PC Game Pass members can check out the sequel at no extra cost too.

The patient gamepass subscriber wins again!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

That smells like a PS+ release is right around the corner.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

loving finally

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

FrickenMoron posted:

Where are the Deus Ex rights now with Embracer re-forming?

Garbage Can & Friends

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Don't. Just keep going!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any idea why Valkyria Chronicles 4 only sometimes recognizes my controller as a Dualshock and otherwise it defaults to Xbox glyphs? I'm not changing any of the Steam Input settings between sessions, but sometimes it's one, sometimes it's the other.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Believe in yourself!!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Any idea why Valkyria Chronicles 4 only sometimes recognizes my controller as a Dualshock and otherwise it defaults to Xbox glyphs? I'm not changing any of the Steam Input settings between sessions, but sometimes it's one, sometimes it's the other.

Do you have multiple forms of Steam input enabled? It might just be arbitrarily deciding which one to use first.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HopperUK posted:

Believe in yourself!!

It's easier to believe in myself with a +5 gargoyle tail axe in my hands!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's easier to believe in myself with a +5 gargoyle tail axe in my hands!

hell yeah it fit

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Orv posted:

Do you have multiple forms of Steam input enabled? It might just be arbitrarily deciding which one to use first.

you can have steam input enabled for different controller types, but i think it's supposed to stick to one for each connected controller (and that's how it's always worked before for me). maybe it's something finicky about the recent steam input overhaul, because before games would always act as if you were using an xbox controller.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rinkles posted:

you can have steam input enabled for different controller types, but i think it's supposed to stick to one for each connected controller (and that's how it's always worked before for me). maybe it's something finicky about the recent steam input overhaul, because before games would always act as if you were using an xbox controller.

It's supposed to and did for many years but since the overhaul I've definitely had it just pick Xbox/DS/generic at random sometimes. Turning it down to just one type has fixed it for me but it's also annoying to micromanage that if you're playing several different types of games.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So, got a new chip slot, but I still can't switch chip levels. Looks like it's a keyboard problem after all.

Does Korsica have a fake...Scottish...accent? I guess I'm not a native speaker so I can't fully tell if it's actually fake and/or Scottish

e: I cannot kill this loving samurai enemy or whatever it is

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 22, 2024

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I had to switch to a a +1 gargoyle halberd two thirds through blighttown and for the boss because my BKS broke and I wasn't willing to go all the way up and back down

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

So, got a new chip slot, but I still can't switch chip levels. Looks like it's a keyboard problem after all.

Does Korsica have a fake...Scottish...accent? I guess I'm not a native speaker so I can't fully tell if it's actually fake and/or Scottish

e: I cannot kill this loving samurai enemy or whatever it is

Huh. You're hitting the button while you're like... moving the chip over the slots, right? I think that's when you hit it to switch to the higher version. Otherwise IDK, never played it with a keyboard so could just be a weird persistent bug. You could absolutely get away with just using the lower version chips, though, in general the marginal improvements from using a higher level chips aren't as good as just using two level 1s unless you really like the effect of that first chip.

Samurai are nasty, yeah. You eventually get a tool that really helps with them, but for now your best bet is either learning their parry rhythms (especially for that super-long multihit they use after throwing their swords in the ground. You can kind of just spam the button once they start swinging super fast) or saving your overdrive moves for them. Also make sure to call in your partners basically on cooldown, it's free damage and it really helps get the stun meter up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Trick Question posted:

Huh. You're hitting the button while you're like... moving the chip over the slots, right? I think that's when you hit it to switch to the higher version. Otherwise IDK, never played it with a keyboard so could just be a weird persistent bug. You could absolutely get away with just using the lower version chips, though, in general the marginal improvements from using a higher level chips aren't as good as just using two level 1s unless you really like the effect of that first chip.

Samurai are nasty, yeah. You eventually get a tool that really helps with them, but for now your best bet is either learning their parry rhythms (especially for that super-long multihit they use after throwing their swords in the ground. You can kind of just spam the button once they start swinging super fast) or saving your overdrive moves for them. Also make sure to call in your partners basically on cooldown, it's free damage and it really helps get the stun meter up.

It's almost certainly azerty bullshit, I'm used to it at this point. At least this game has the excuse of being an indie title, unlike Cyberpunk 2077. I'll just go without upgrading chips, I kind of figured it wouldn't be strictly necessary since the higher-level ones take up multiple slots and it would always be a trade-off.

I got past the samurai in the end, the game eventually took pity on me and let me do the finisher, even though I still got his QTE half wrong.

Now I'm at the Korsica boss fight, and it is incredible how much I suck at these QTEs when there are no visual aids. I'm making a good-faith effort to reproduce these as I hear them, but it's almost always wrong. I'm nearly always off. It's embarrassing. This is me honestly trying, and I cannot get past this boss.