Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Crocobile posted:

My wife (37F) and I (38M) were humiliated by being denied entry at a bar this weekend. It ruined our date night and has had us feeling awful ever since. What can we do?

I hope nothing actually bad ever happens to this couple because it probably would kill them instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Crocobile posted:

Yeah I’m fine with the 6er/“hey be more careful next time”. This is, in fact, way better than last thread where Cowslips would one-up any animal abuse story with some nauseating, often unspoilered animal death story.
Maybe it would be better to just have a consistently applied rule about trigger warnings/spoilering?

quote:

Ok content. Try to guess what this guy’s upset about :
My wife (37F) and I (38M) were humiliated by being denied entry at a bar this weekend. It ruined our date night and has had us feeling awful ever since. What can we do?
That's annoying but it clearly wasn't anything personal so why are they taking it personally? Their reaction would make more sense if they were booted out of the line and then the bar kept letting people behind them in

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 22, 2024

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Crocobile posted:

He's upset that some people (who might've had a reservation) cut in line in front of him at a bar and it ruined his self esteem? :confused: I thought he was gonna be mad that they got rejected for being underdressed or something.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mystes posted:

That's annoying but it clearly wasn't anything personal so why are they taking it personally? Their reaction would make more sense if they were booted out of the line and then the bar kept letting people behind them in

I looked that one up, and they're just :smith:ing it all over the comments

Top Comment posted:

Therapy definitely. Sounds like you're not use to rejection. Therapy can help with this.

OP posted:

I think each of us are certainly used to it, it's been happening all of our lives.

So yeah, sounds like they are just perpetually bummed and should :therapy:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Crocobile posted:

Yeah I’m fine with the 6er/“hey be more careful next time”. This is, in fact, way better than last thread where Cowslips would one-up any animal abuse story with some nauseating, often unspoilered animal death story.

Have these two never been to a popular bar or restaurant before and/or not familiar with the concept of reservation? What sort of "resolution" is available to him, does he imagine?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Fil5000 posted:

British PSAs are their own specific horror genre. If you ever have half an hour spare, I highly recommend "Apaches", a short film about the dangers of being a kid playing on a farm which includes both death by weedkiller and slurry pit.

Edit: Oh poo poo it's directed by the same guy that directed The Long Good Friday. We used to be a country.

The Irish driving ones will stay in your head forever. Also the Canadian workplace safety ones.

Seems weird that there are regional genres of safety ads.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

American anti smoking ads seem specifically formulated to make smoking seem cool

They're quite literally made by the tobacco companies so that's the point

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
They should simply have been 15 years younger, substantially cooler, and probably on the guest list.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Crocobile posted:

In the comments, they mentioned that they weren't actually told to go away, they just saw the people get waved in ahead of them and interpreted that as being told "get lost ugly". The group that skipped the line were probably regulars, had reservations, knew someone who worked there, or were there to do some kind of promo work.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CitizenKain posted:

The Irish driving ones will stay in your head forever. Also the Canadian workplace safety ones.

Seems weird that there are regional genres of safety ads.

In Driver's Ed in California in the 80s I got to see the Red Asphalt series. They were very aptly named. We also were regaled with the story of every student or alumnus who died on a famously dangerous stretch of road nearby.

I narrowly escaped ending up on that list myself a few years after graduation. Steering into a skid (sand on the road, lost rear end traction on a curve) is the right thing to do, but when there's a cliff in that direction it's terrifying.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The_Franz posted:

In the comments, they mentioned that they weren't actually told to go away, they just saw the people get waved in ahead of them and interpreted that as being told "get lost ugly". The group that skipped the line were probably regulars, had reservations, knew someone who worked there, or were there to do some kind of promo work.

I still don't see how they could take this as a pointed shot when there's a huge line of people behind them also waiting to get in. A huge riot should have broken out with people crying and reliving all of their being unpopular in high school traumas that they never fully got over.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

If you want to experience actual rejection from entering a bar/club, just go to Berghain, where countless people will queue for hours only to be told 'nein', because they had an article of clothing that wasn't black enough, were heard speaking a language that isn't German, or exhibited the slightest hint of a smile. They are infamous for having turned away the DJ that was set to perform there at one point.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Hahaha, gently caress those guys! OP did everything right here.

First of all, they're just wrong. it's the driver that gets the ticket. It's a loving moving violation. Ticketing the passengers just doesn't make sense. Like how would that even work?

alot of states its the passanger. north carolina is one. it makes sense to ticket the passenger over the driver for seat belt violations imo

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DeeplyConcerned posted:

First of all, they're just wrong. it's the driver that gets the ticket. It's a loving moving violation. Ticketing the passengers just doesn't make sense. Like how would that even work?

Depends on where you are, as the policy varies between states/provinces/countries, and you just write the passenger a ticket like any other. You can get tickets for non-motoring-related offenses too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

wheatpuppy posted:

Does the son not realize that you are allowed to do that? If you don't like someone you aren't like, legally required to acquiesce to their every request.
Sure, she doesn't have to give the recipes away, but that's gatekeeping and it means she's a bad person. She's already gaslit half her extended family into ganging up on DIL!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

The_Franz posted:

If you want to experience actual rejection from entering a bar/club, just go to Berghain, where countless people will queue for hours only to be told 'nein', because they had an article of clothing that wasn't black enough, were heard speaking a language that isn't German, or exhibited the slightest hint of a smile. They are infamous for having turned away the DJ that was set to perform there at one point.

Where is the sprezzatura? Must they all look so pained?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

Where is the sprezzatura? Must they all look so pained?

If they want to get into the club? Yes, they must.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Australian PSAs are a similar genre, our anti-smoking ads are legendary.
also good at getting people to stay off train tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbqbxLWVEW8

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The_Franz posted:

They famously turned Elon Musk away at the door, and guess who had a big pissbaby meltdown about that?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also no bar is that special, there's no establishment worth waiting more than 5-10 min to get into. Just go somewhere else if there's a big line. Clubs/bars with huge lines are rarely any good, they exist pretty much to make a certain type of person feel cool and special to be in the *exclusive* bar. Our monkey brain sees a big line and people being rejected and thinks that makes us special if we manage to get in. Inside the drinks are just more expensive, that's it. There's a loving brunch place by my house that always has a 45+ min line with huge crowds gathered out front. It used to be above average, but they earned a reputation and advertised heavily and now they coast on mediocre food and the huge line tricking people into thinking its surely the most fancy and exclusive brunch spot in town. There's way better bunch a block away for less money and no round-the-block lineup.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Australian PSAs are a similar genre, our anti-smoking ads are legendary.

I'm only familiar with "Greg! The Stop Sign!". And even then only because of the song.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

The_Franz posted:

These people sound exhausting. Like everything that doesn't go 100% right for then is some kind of slight.

I'm surprised we don't have more crossover "I dress like a clown/why don't the clubs let me in" content. I keep waiting for the return of that woman that dresses like the Six Flags dude.

Oh, throwing my hat in the ring about tickets-- in WA if someone is unbuckled and 16 or older they get the ticket, not the driver.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'm all in favor of petty revenge, but you have to careful who you injure with collateral damage.

AITA for for sending bikini pics to my husbands dad?

quote:

OK for starters I want to say I am embarrassed and I’m not proud. Four years ago my husband cheated on me with his ex. We ended up going to couples therapy and working it out. Anyways his family loved me and when I told his family that he cheated on me they were absolutely pissed. My father-in-law started telling me how I deserve better and how a pretty girl like me shouldn’t be cheated on and he just started saying things to me that were kind of flirtatious. Every now and then when I would do my make up he would tell me I look pretty But it didn’t really progress beyond words.

Fast forward to January of this year, I found out that my husband was talking to his ex again. He said that they were just talking and that they haven’t slept with each other since the last time four years ago but I still felt lied to and betrayed. I made the impulsive decision to start texting his dad. We were kind of just talking nothing weird then I asked him what his opinion of my outfit was … so I sent him a picture of me in a bikini. He didn’t respond. But my husband sure got a call from his mom freaking out. I wasn’t there when he got the call so I don’t know exactly what was said. But as soon as my husband got home I got ripped into. I started crying and told him it wasn’t that serious.

Back in February when the anger has died down he told me he wanted a divorce. I finally admitted to him that I sent those pics out of spite. He told me that even if we tried to work on our marriage his family is absolutely disgusted by me and they all removed me off of social media including her sister who I had a great relationship with. His mother is now trying to say that my intentions on those photos were ruining her marriage. I tried to text her and let her know that my goal wasn’t to ruin her marriage. I honestly didn’t think the pictures were that bad. I mean come on girl your husband calls me cute all the time and she never says anything about it? It was always innocent but apparently the bikini pics are too far even though we go on vacation with them and he seen me in a bikini before. I feel like I screwed up because the past week I have been trying to be affectionate with my husband and he wants nothing to do with me.
Tee hee, I tried to break up your parents' marriage out of spite, why are you all so mad at me?

I do love that last line. My husband despises me and his whole family hates my guts, but I'm sure I can fix it by trying to cuddle more - huh, why isn't this working?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's important not to make yourself look even worse than the person who wronged you.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

FMguru posted:

They famously turned Elon Musk away at the door, and guess who had a big pissbaby meltdown about that?

He was then let into KitKat with his bodyguards, which is a great look for them. A shining beacon for the LGBTQI+ community (which apparently now stands for Losers, Gentrifiers, Billionaires, Transphobes, Q-Anons, and Incels, I guess)

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Halloween Jack posted:

Sure, she doesn't have to give the recipes away, but that's gatekeeping and it means she's a bad person. She's already gaslit half her extended family into ganging up on DIL!

I know you're making fun of it, but man it is ugly when ignorant privileged people appropriate this kind of language.

The entire idea of gatekeeping recipes is absurd on its face. Restaurant quality recipes are online, free and more accessible than ever. Gatekeeping is when all-male kitchens keep out female chefs or give them degrading work. Gatekeeping does not refer to your family members declining to explain how you 'fold in the cheese' for your homemade enchilada queso.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

Maybe it would be better to just have a consistently applied rule about trigger warnings/spoilering?

Crocobile would bitch about that too.

AITA for correcting someone’s form at the gym?

quote:

I (26f) go to an all women’s gym. It’s a smaller gym and most people at this gym generally seem new to working out and training.

I have been weight training for a few years now. I can lift pretty heavy, go to the gym ~5 days a week, and am very consistent with my workouts, protein intake, etc. I spend a lot of money on gym clothes and put an effort into my appearance. I only say this because I am used to being stared at at my gym. I would like to think it’s because I look good and can lift weights/do exercises that most people at my gym can’t (people literally stop and stare when I’m doing pull ups.)

Sometimes women will ask me for help or advice, form tips, information about a machine, etc. I am always very friendly, always help, but am more introverted so I generally just keep to myself unless someone speaks to me.

Now onto the incident: my gym recently started staying open until 4 on Sundays, (it used to be open only until 1PM) so I like to go around 1:30 because it’s pretty dead. I was doing deadlifts at the squat rack and a couple of girls near the cable machine kept staring at me. I’ve seen them at my gym before and they do stare frequently but I just brush it off because I am used to it and chalk it up to they like my outfit or are interested in the exercise I’m doing, etc. It did get to the point where it was a uncomfortable, but no big deal.

They moved to the squat rack beside me, and were setting up for deadlifts. I was surprised with the weight they were adding on as they seemed to be beginners at the gym, but none of my business, looks can be deceiving sometimes and sleeper builds are real. They proceeded to take turns attempting deadlifts with the most incorrect and unsafe form. I’m talking rounded back, knees heavily bent, etc. I noticed, but didn’t say anything - again, I’m pretty introverted and feel anxious chatting to strangers. It was only when one of girls started complaining about her lower back being sore that I thought maybe I should give them some tips to prevent injury.

I walked over, was very polite and friendly, and started off the conversation with introducing myself and asking “Can I show you a different way of doing that.” The girl who was currently doing the deadlift, was very receptive and I gave her some pointers. They were trying to do RDL’s, and I was able to give them some cues to use to feel it in their glutes and what the correct form was. It was going well (or so I thought) until the other girl, who had just been watching, went off on how I was being rude and they knew what they were doing and didn’t need my help. It got kind of awkward and I was taken aback, so I just apologized and went back to my workout.

I told my sister about this and she said I was an rear end in a top hat because I shouldn’t offer unsolicited advice, and I probably offended them. I thought I was being nice because they could have gotten seriously injured, but now I’m perplexed

AITA for correcting someone’s form at the gym?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Actually, gatekeeping is when I want something and other people won't give it to me.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bifner McDoogle posted:

I know you're making fun of it, but man it is ugly when ignorant privileged people appropriate this kind of language.

The entire idea of gatekeeping recipes is absurd on its face. Restaurant quality recipes are online, free and more accessible than ever. Gatekeeping is when all-male kitchens keep out female chefs or give them degrading work. Gatekeeping does not refer to your family members declining to explain how you 'fold in the cheese' for your homemade enchilada queso.
My favorite misappropriation of 'gatekeeping' was a few years ago, when the then-lead designer of Dungeons & Dragons posted that fans that weren't going out there and promoting the game and getting new players (i.e., doing unpaid marketing work for a giant corporation) were 'gatekeeping' the hobby.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Also no bar is that special, there's no establishment worth waiting more than 5-10 min to get into. Just go somewhere else if there's a big line. Clubs/bars with huge lines are rarely any good, they exist pretty much to make a certain type of person feel cool and special to be in the *exclusive* bar. Our monkey brain sees a big line and people being rejected and thinks that makes us special if we manage to get in. Inside the drinks are just more expensive, that's it. There's a loving brunch place by my house that always has a 45+ min line with huge crowds gathered out front. It used to be above average, but they earned a reputation and advertised heavily and now they coast on mediocre food and the huge line tricking people into thinking its surely the most fancy and exclusive brunch spot in town. There's way better bunch a block away for less money and no round-the-block lineup.

The same goes for places with huge cover charges, security with metal detectors at the door, "if you aren't drinking you're outta here" policies and such. Maybe you deal with it if there's a band you really want to see or something, but if you just want to relax and have a drink, go somewhere else.

Also, if you are a non-creepy adult, you probably don't actually want to hang out at some place where being 25 makes you the oldest person in the room by several years.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 22, 2024

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
AITA for “overreacting” to my nephew’s behavior at my wedding?

quote:

I (25F) got married to my husband John (25M) last week and I are both really close to our families and we invited all of our siblings, nieces, nephews etc. I enjoyed my special day, but I had some issues with how my nephew, Blaze (11M) acted. Blaze is one of my sister Jenna’s (31F) kids.

Issues with Blaze’s behavior started to arise pretty quickly, Blaze was not able to sit still during the ceremony and while we were exchanging vows, I saw him tapping his foot, tapping his fingers on the chair and other fidgeting around. Blaze has always fidgeted and I asked Jenna in advance to make sure he wouldn’t, and she said she’d “do the best she could”.

We also had a trivia game we found in the thrift store about babies, it was meant for baby showers but we played it at our wedding, while we aren’t expecting kids yet, we thought it would be a fun game. Blaze knows A LOT of random stuff, and he ended up winning the game. After the wedding, a few guests told me they were upset as they felt Blaze embarrassed them in front of their kids by knowing more about child development than them.

My final straw was when it as time to eat, I went to see my Jenna and I saw Blaze just sitting with some family talking about his basketball team, I told him he could get up and get some food and he came back with chicken tenders, fries, coleslaw and a loaded baked potato. I asked why he didn’t get anything else and he said none of the other food looked appetizing. Blaze is a picky eater and I encouraged him to try some other foods, and he did, but he spit them out and said they were bad.

I’ve been texting Jenna this past week about Blaze’s behavior at the wedding, she said she tried her best to get him to behave but it was his first wedding and to be easy on him, this is despite the fact her younger kids had no issues. I was talking to John about this and he said to let this go and told me I was “overreacting”, he said we knew Blaze was a bit odd and that if I didn’t want him acting so odd, I shouldn’t have invited him. AITA?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The_Franz posted:

The same goes for places with huge cover charges, security with metal detectors at the door, "if you aren't drinking you're outta here" policies and such. Maybe you deal with it if there's a band you really want to see or something, but if you just want to relax and have a drink, go somewhere else.

For places like that the product they're selling isn't the drinks or even the experience, its entirely the dopamine hit their brain gets for "getting into the exclusive place with the expensive cover". You could have a dumpster out back, but have a bouncer, a huge cover charge, and a big enough line and suddenly this type of person will gladly spent 45 min on a friday night waiting to get in there so they can post an instagram story about how they totally got into the most exclusive dumpster in town.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for “overreacting” to my nephew’s behavior at my wedding?

After the wedding, a few guests told me they were upset as they felt Blaze embarrassed them in front of their kids by knowing more about child development than them.

There is no loving way this actually happened.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There is no loving way this actually happened.

Yeah, nobody who hates neurodivergent kids that much would have a buffet with chicken tendies and fries at their wedding.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Fries and a baked potato? Kids a loving maniac.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

house of the dad posted:

I still don't see how they could take this as a pointed shot when there's a huge line of people behind them also waiting to get in. A huge riot should have broken out with people crying and reliving all of their being unpopular in high school traumas that they never fully got over.

I think it’s also because they don’t go clubbing/drinking really according to the comments, so their metric for what’s normal club stuff is just not there.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

wheatpuppy posted:

Yeah, nobody who hates neurodivergent kids that much would have a buffet with chicken tendies and fries at their wedding.

I meant the part about a bunch of adults approaching her during the wedding to complain about the neurodivergent eleven year old "knowing more about child development than them"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That kid is probably neurodivergent, but I get a little uncomfortable when people jump to the conclusion that any given trait is proof of neurodivergence. As a general rule, kids are bored by wedding ceremonies.

FMguru posted:

My favorite misappropriation of 'gatekeeping' was a few years ago, when the then-lead designer of Dungeons & Dragons posted that fans that weren't going out there and promoting the game and getting new players (i.e., doing unpaid marketing work for a giant corporation) were 'gatekeeping' the hobby.
Want to play a Warlord? That's gatekeeping.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 22, 2024

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

AceClown posted:

In the UK it's actually the passenger who gets a £500 fine if they're over 14

*spits out tea* my word!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God bless that kid he actually tried the other food when asked, that's really difficult for an eleven year old with picky eating tendencies.