Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

FlocksOfMice posted:

I listened to like one minute of this and it's one of the most ontologically terrifying things I've ever seen, unironically. Memetically humanity seeks to speciate, doesn't it? it's this why I can't understand Star Citizen? I'm no longer of the kind which has the organs to make sense of it
It's incredibly, strangely alien. I don't think it's humanity speciating, though. It's just a weird insular subculture. For like, mainstream culture, you could pick any group on Earth and I don't think it would be alien like this. My closest common cultural ancestors to, say, Amazonian hunter-gatherers probably date to tens of thousands of years ago, their culture and their material context is probably as far from mine as is possible to be on this planet, but they're still just regular people you have some fundamental shared understanding with. Weird subcultures can get way stranger though. I think this stuff is partly also doing it on purpose as some sort of artistic thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oddly enough it feels like the AAA industry has caught up to the Star Citizen development model where you shove in literally everything regardless of whether it works or how much it breaks flow.

You mean like how it feels like crafting is crammed into every game now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What Star Citizen could have that I think could work is ships that require multiple players to operate, and each person has an important task, with missions that take advantage of those important tasks. Everyone has to work together and communicate otherwise the ship explodes. What Star Citizen has instead is everyone on a ship just kinda clips through the ship and falls through space or a planet and then dies. You can't even actually do anything on the ships anyways, they are just for transporting players around.

Star Wars Galaxies had my idea as a gameplay loop, so i'm not mentioning anything original, just to be clear.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I said come in! posted:

What Star Citizen could have that I think could work is ships that require multiple players to operate, and each person has an important task, with missions that take advantage of those important tasks. Everyone has to work together and communicate otherwise the ship explodes. What Star Citizen has instead is everyone on a ship just kinda clips through the ship and falls through space or a planet and then dies. You can't even actually do anything on the ships anyways, they are just for transporting players around.

Star Wars Galaxies had my idea as a gameplay loop, so i'm not mentioning anything original, just to be clear.

and you can only have 1 captain

the kinds of people that spend lots of money on SC are the personality that they HAVE to be captain of the ship or else why bother?

especially when they spent all that money, they would sooner sit on their empty ship watching people have fun outside from the secure confines of their cockpit.... so very similar to how they live their IRL

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oddly enough it feels like the AAA industry has caught up to the Star Citizen development model where you shove in literally everything regardless of whether it works or how much it breaks flow.

I thought you were going to say AAA games finally caught up to SC how much money they demand after you already bought the game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Time_pants posted:

I thought you were going to say AAA games finally caught up to SC how much money they demand after you already bought the game.

Also that.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Biplane posted:

Star Trek Bridge Crew already exists, and is actually fun.

Starship Simulator is coming out soon aand looks like the peak of these kind of games.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Unlike other game developers who make simple systems but add much variety via those simple systems in a relatively short time CIG are going for more capable complex systems where future expansion is unlimited. Other games do not have nearly the amount of possible attachments Star Citizen and Squadron 42 have planned, indeed very often even with their limited capabilities games often ship with glaring issues like poke-thru and misaligned geometry. There is always a trade-off, you can have development time quality and variety but for each you have to weigh the cost benefit, variety takes time, quality takes time - even more so when you don't want to accept the standard game design limits. As Chris said at the last CitizenCon, they plan to keep improving and adding features and capability for the next decade and beyond, so there is little point in going for sheer volume just to amuse people for a while. They have to plan for the future capabilities to come, not just an 'off the shelf' game engine solution.

Anyone and everyone who follows this project knows that it has never been a project about a 'summer release' and grab as much cash as you can for 6 months while the company switches to a new cash grab product. They are building and expanding the game engine while they build a live release, no-one else does that and there are good reasons why no-one else does that. The reason it seems so odd to some people is precisely because they are used to short term approaches to game development by other game developers who use existing game engine technology. CIG are solving problems and limitations that are just accepted as reality or insurmountable by the standard game developers, they push the limits in just about every single feature they include, often-times far beyond what many even thought possible. Too often the criticisms come from those who spend little to no time actually researching how games are normally made, how things are fudged, faked and quick-fixes are adopted to cut down on development costs and ship games quicker to market. CIG are a victim of their own success, they make the virtually miraculous look simple to the uninformed.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

I wonder if Pisscat understands that he'll be dead long before Star Citizen is "finished".

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

I wonder if Pisscat understands that he'll be dead long before Star Citizen is "finished".

I think he wrote at least one screed about exactly this and how it is all worth it for future generations.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Is the game out yet, think it’s been a year since I last asked?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Anyone and everyone who follows this project knows that it has never been a project about a 'summer release' and grab as much cash as you can for 6 months
LOL

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tnuctip posted:

Take a wild guess.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Tnuctip posted:

yes, and they somehow managed to make good on all the promises and everything that people dreamed up. star citizen is everything anyone could ever want and i live in the 'verse exclusively from now on.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

will all the spaceships be romanceable at launch?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Buce posted:

will all the spaceships be romanceable at launch?

Only the really, really expensive ones.

Love ain't cheap!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Payouts are already far, far, far far, far too high.

quote:

Nothing even close to that.

Players seem to think they're entitled to buy anything, any ship they want in the game, through only solo effort and in just a few days of playing... That is not how it should be.

What do you make for an average salary IRL? That should be more in line with what we should expect in the verse... and we're not going to be buying a 44,000,000 Yacht on a regular salary.

Even as a millionaire, there are things out of reach.

Many of the goals in this game are team-based aspirational goals - many covet, few achieve.

This I believe shows how players can't even comprehend this game is going to play so much differently that anything they are used to.

300-400k an hour? Try 300-400k a year.

Players should completely reset their expectations.

quote:

ROFL! Have fun selling your Korean grind mmo to westerners.

Fyi — as people certified and licensed for spaceflight, we are those multi-millionaires in this game.

But at 400k a year, grinding 6 hrs a day, it would take a player about 25 years to afford a connie.

The ship that supposedly players are meant to be able to buy in a month.

Maybe you need to reset your expectations…

quote:

That's where financing comes in!

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
No joke would be a sweet premise for a game where you start by taking a loan you have absolutely no chance of ever paying back and then as you fall behind on payments, you have to fight badder thugs the more money you took.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
This is the most realistic space sim ever!

You mean, it's got a scientifically accurate physics model and realistic spaceship design?

No, who wants that? I mean it's so realistic that only governments and billionaires can afford spacecraft, and they blow up for no clear reason half the time!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Anyone and everyone who follows this project knows that it has never been a project about a 'summer release' and grab as much cash as you can for 6 months
LOL

in other news, the new Summer Spaceship JPEG sale is on and boy howdy are you going to want to see these new JPEGS - act fast as supplies are limited!

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Gears of War but you have to spend 5 years real time beefing up before the first mission

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Tom Nook of the Fourth Stimpire

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

DreadUnknown posted:

Starship Simulator is coming out soon aand looks like the peak of these kind of games.

hey this looks kinda neat, thanks for the heads up

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

lmao this guy is magnificent

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Guys, guys, there's a new UI! And a new map!

Is there anything to actually do?

No, but look at this new button pushing mechanic!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

in 4 decades maybe youll be able to afford to push buttons in a capital ship

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Seems like throwaway accounts with massive loans committing finance fraud is the way then

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Take a wild guess.

Two weeks?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The entirety of the GTA5 online ecosystem was developed, came and went, and was eventually sundowned and the sequel was developed and will be released before SC, while Star Citizen is still in Alpha version 3. lmao

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

I don't really mean to cherry pick, but I wanted to use that quote to maybe expand a larger discussion...

How is that a good thing... "without worrying"?

I feel like "worrying" simply translates into time and consideration we thought we would have to put in even the most mundane tasks, in ways that most other games didn't make us. That, to me, was one of the interesting aspects/possibilities of this game. I want to worry about those things!

The bed mechanic never had any good definition... nor did the idea that you "automatically" make it safely back to somewhere when you log off. So they needed to design something, finally, because I don't think they've ever gave it more thought than "cool beds look cool"

But, they have to find some way to have a cost to simply logging out wherever and logging back in the same place.

Maybe the same "place" is ok, but time will (should*) have elapsed as if we were there in game. So I'd like to see them take that time into account... for example, offline consumption of resources (food, water, oxygen) would be one way. And making sure you have enough of that.

That consumption and safety could be relative... maybe you do have a choice to pitch a tent and truly survive, so you don't have to run back to your ship... but running back to your ship would be the next level of safety. And if that's not enough for you, then you do have the option to go find a station or hangar.

It just doesn't make sense to me that we can go somewhere, log out, and reap the benefits of whatever being in that location means... without having to deal with any of the negative effects or risks as we would if we were online.

So in the end I agree, logging off anywhere should be the deal... but the game needs to give you hard choices to make about what that means for you. I think it should do that by treating it as if you never logged off at all. (there's also a discussion to be had about player persistence in the world and I would be ok with that, but this doesn't have to mean that literally)

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I love not having time to come back to a game for a few days because I have an actual functional life outside of a video game and finding out my character starved to death in the meanwhile. It's super fun when a game is as demanding as a job.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
If you’re not forsaking your real life for your life in the ‘verse, are you really even living?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
sometimes i walk outside at night, look up at the boundless array of stars sparkling like jewels in the infinite heavens, and think to myself, man, i wish i was in the 'verse right now

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Mozi posted:

sometimes i walk outside at night, look up at the boundless array of stars sparkling like jewels in the infinite heavens, and think to myself, man, i wish i was in the 'verse right now

I wish I lived somewhere with less light pollution, myself.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

I wish I lived somewhere with less light pollution, myself.

sometimes i walk outside at night, look up at the 3 stars sparkling like jewels in the infinite heavens, and think to myself, oh wait one of those is a plane...

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

FlocksOfMice posted:

I love not having time to come back to a game for a few days because I have an actual functional life outside of a video game and finding out my character starved to death in the meanwhile. It's super fun when a game is as demanding as a job.

What if the joke mechanic for killing The End in MGS3 but for players?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Not everyone has 2 hours to prepare and go to a mission to play it for 5 minutes and lose all the time through some unfortunate circumstances then have to restart the process.. At least with lowbie respawn you can get back into the action pretty quickly if you have the right vehicle..

quote:

You prepare today, play tomorrow.

The point was never to "get back into the action quickly" but rather "do everything you can to not leave the action prematurely"

There are other games for the lazy sloppy sweats already.

This was not supposed to be one of them.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

"prepare today, play tomorrow" ...lol it's a space ship shooty video game my man, calm down

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Steadiman posted:

"prepare today, play tomorrow" ...lol it's a space ship shooty video game my man, calm down

No it ISN'T and it's PEOPLE like YOU with THAT ATTITUDE that are EVERYTHING WRONG WITH THIS COMMUNITY

<all the above in a low growl through gritted teeth)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Steadiman posted:

Sound like you need some of the worst kind of electricity. :toughguy: