Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

It's a bummer because it makes me not want to run my own ops higher than like 5-6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It would rule if the mech had a kamikaze button but you have to manually get out, so if you're distracted or confused it charges and explodes with you in it

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Change the exosuit so it's like a 40k Dreadnought and you can't escape it

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is there any use for the mine strategems aside from teamkilling your squad?

Seems like something I only see from new/low level players since it's one of the cheaper strategems low on the tree you can get early. Have had fools mine half the extract pad, or put big minefields around the map.

I could maybe potentially see it in a defense mission but it seems like in every case napalm or sentries or literally anything would be better.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

I played one match with a pubbie who ran into a swarm of bugs as I tossed out a cluster bomb and he died. He whined on voice about teamkilling and I typed back "sorry man. it happens." We had like 17 reinforcements so who cares. He waited until the end of the mission, shot me just before I got into the pelican so I failed to extract, and then kicked me as soon as we got back to the ship. What a little bitch lol

Had one tk me in back of Pelican, tried to spray others, but had too few rounds in mag so kicked em before he continued. Nice way to finish a set of 9's together -_-

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Seems like something I only see from new/low level players since it's one of the cheaper strategems low on the tree you can get early. Have had fools mine half the extract pad, or put big minefields around the map.

I could maybe potentially see it in a defense mission but it seems like in every case napalm or sentries or literally anything would be better.

I've seen exactly one instance where mines can do halfway decent work: dropping them on unalerted terminids. They'll move in on the minelayer pod and trap themselves.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Zwabu posted:

Not really. They just do too little for having the same CD as sentries (and practically no upgrades.)

They need to call in much faster and have half the CD.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Zwabu posted:

Mines would be a lot more useful with a much faster calldown time tbh -- right now they're only effective if you can drop them and then lure enemies through it, but if you have that kind of flexibility you're probably better off just bypassing the pod entirely. They should be a viable panic button if something's chasing you *now*

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Zwabu posted:

They are very good at the new defense mission. You don't need to worry about firing angle, cover, or any of the other things you need to think about with sentries in order to make sure that they can actually do work before getting blown up by the enemy. Just toss them outside the main gates where the enemies are guaranteed to funnel through and they will blow themselves up for little to no effort on your part.

My favorite defense mission loadout is now 2x minefields, mortar sentry, and EATs. Lot of explosions, lots of craters, lots of disposable rocket launchers to pass around the team!

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Mines need to be bigger with less mines and bigger booms. That way your teammates can actually see them and half of your minefield doesnt go off to 1 scavenger.

Give us automaton mines.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have had one great gameplay moment with the mines: I was being swarmed by three chargers and a shitload of hunters, low health and no stims left, and all my strats were on cooldown. I saw another player's minefield and dove into the center of it with two dozen bugs right on my heels. I died, but it decimated the swarm. :patriot:

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Does an EMP blast from the mortar nullify the mines or temporarily disable them?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Video Nasty posted:

Does an EMP blast from the mortar nullify the mines or temporarily disable them?

The mortar impact usually sets them off, mortars are really bad with minefields cuz you basically waste 70% of the field.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ice Fist posted:

Don't know how many people here play with randos like me, but has anyone experienced an issue where when they start and launch a mission you'll get 3 immediate people, but then once they DC/leave/whatever no-one else joins. It's like a surefire thing where nobody will join on me unless I quit out and restart the game.

It's weird.

This used to super common back when the servers still had queues to get in. From what I can tell they've mostly fixed the issue, but it can be difficult to tell if you're bugged or if nobody is particularly interested in that specific planet+difficulty(+mission). Just make sure the host throws down the SOS and hope for the best. As long as the remaining players are competent you can duo or trio most missions. And if they're not competent enough, that 4th person may not even be enough to make up the difference at all.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
The secret best strat for being overwhelmed on eradicate missions is running outside the map edge until the timer goes off. You'll be branded a traitor, and they'll throw 380 rounds at your general area until you die, but you can get a lot of running (and, therefore, killing) done in that time.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The first game had an upgrade for the mines that made them armor piercing, and that made them pretty great, especially for covering a retreat. They're really missing that right now, since the things they currently kill aren't hard to kill with a primary and grenades anyway.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dyz posted:

Mines need to be bigger with less mines and bigger booms. That way your teammates can actually see them and half of your minefield doesnt go off to 1 scavenger.

Give us automaton mines.

Good news, (spoiler for upcoming content), anti tank mines are coming and they are exactly what you are describing

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Good news, (spoiler for upcoming content), anti tank mines are coming and they are exactly what you are describing

I feel like the current menus are going to become downright unusable with the amount of content being added to the game. The devs should probably start nesting stuff or make stuff upgrades instead of wholly new items.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/helldivers2/status/1782380136152604692

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Anybody have good advice for surviving extermination missions when you have less than a full team? They spiral out hardcore once your deaths start rolling in, and the only way I've find to at least keep the objective moving is to deliberately go traitor and let the orbital strikes against you thin the herd.

380/laser/ORC/cluster bomb. apply gratuitously and remember Maxim 20: If you're not willing to shell your own position, you're not willing to win.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I hope no minors were involved in mining this mine content.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lobok posted:

I hope no minors were involved in mining this mine content.

Only democratically authorized workers over the minimum age of 7

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

lmao that we're going to be back on the Creek soon because the bug divers won't get off Oshaune come hell or high water.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Potentially we might be able to do a 'Martale Gambit 2.0' if we flip Charon Bay (and Martale?) cutting off Choepessa and Charbal.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I feel like Estanu is just absurd. The Incredibles were right.

As for the strategem bloat that we have already, there REALLY need to be more categories. I have taken the wrong strategem on accident as is too many times. Last night, I took a ballistic shield down with me. :sigh:

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

darnon posted:

Potentially we might be able to do a 'Martale Gambit 2.0' if we flip Charon Bay (and Martale?) cutting off Choepessa and Charbal.

Acid trip to Chort Bay you say? :getin:

Pubbie Eradicate update. Went in with a bugged lobby and spoke to the host before the mission “hey the last time I did this some dudes shot me do you care about all barrages?”

“Man why are you making me talk I don’t care gently caress them”

:omarcomin:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I feel like Estanu is just absurd. The Incredibles were right.

As for the strategem bloat that we have already, there REALLY need to be more categories. I have taken the wrong strategem on accident as is too many times. Last night, I took a ballistic shield down with me. :sigh:
The ballistic shield is incredibly good

As long as you're fighting bots

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you could have accidentally taken smoke.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sindai posted:

The ballistic shield is incredibly good

As long as you're fighting bots

It's pretty good against bugs too - completely stops spewers from hitting you if you face away, stops hive guards and other medium-sized bugs from hitting your back, and can even stop chargers if they're near the end of their charge and slowing down.

Not an S Tier pick like it is against bots but definitely not bad, I'd say it's better against them than the energy shield at least, especially since you'll generally be facing away from any bugs that hit you anyway. Unless Hunters are what you struggle with, but if that's the case you're better off with a laser dog than a shield anyway.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 23, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

you could have accidentally taken smoke.

is there anything more pathetic than the SEAF artillery smoke round? new research says no.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Replace Smoke round with Gas round imo.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

My all-time greatest quickplay join

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Hakarne posted:

That's going to be incredibly hard to beat for efficiency!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Hakarne posted:

Skill issue.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Yes absolutely. Give eagles and backpacks their own separate categories at least please

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

mistook quasar for laser because of their icons. also have to carefully read to make sure i'm taking laser dog and not gun dog

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Strong Sauce posted:

mistook quasar for laser because of their icons. also have to carefully read to make sure i'm taking laser dog and not gun dog

Depending which you wanted you either got a complimentary upgrade or the biggest disappointment possible

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

Queso Cannon is at the bottom of the list (it also has a Square butt on the left side and tapers off to the right, where as the cannon is more of a cylinder).

Gun dog vs laser dog, look at the left side - the shield icon shows 3 bullets or a laser icon (---*)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Or just allow some kind of Favourites system. I'm really not perusing the entire menu each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thankfully once you have everything unlocked, everything is in the same spot every time so its easy to go pick your favorites.

I'm not saying that having "loadouts" or icons on your favorites wouldnt be an improvement. I guess I'm saying I'm not sweating it because I'd rather the devs spend their time on better gameplay and fixing bugs.

edit: having loadouts (e.g. Bug Quasar, Bug EAT, Bot AC, Bot AC alt1, Bot AC alt2, Bot AC alt3, ect) and being able to tier/order my squad boosters so it automagically picks the top one from my list that is not already selected would be preeeeetty sweet.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 23, 2024