Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Odunze over Nabers…

What other rankings from this list were notable to you fellow TFFers?

I was surprised to see Olu so far down the list at 15, and behind OTs other than Alt.

Olu was a consensus top 10 pick if he came out last year.

Nix and Penix are higher than expected too.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Odunze over Nabers…

I'd take Odunze over Nabers for the Chargers specifically

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I don't think Odunze over Nabers is a stretch at all. Nix slightly over Penix is kind of interesting.

Most of boards I've see lately are really muddled in that OL2-5 range and Fashanu more often than not winding up on the backend behind Fuatano and Fuaga, maybe because they're more positionally versatile. I've also seen a lot of knocks on Fashanu's run blocking.

Breer is reporting a few medical flags...

quote:

• Latu’s neck condition is going to be a disqualifier for some, but not all teams. He was medically retired by the University of Washington, which forced his transfer to UCLA. You’ll remember that in 2018, Leighton Vander Esch came into the league with a neck condition. A really solid linebacker when he played, and the Cowboys’ first-round pick that year, Vander Esch missed significant time in four of his six seasons, and retired after being limited to just five games in 2023.

• Both of LSU’s star receivers, Brian Thomas Jr. and Malik Nabers, have issues with their left shoulders. The risk here is considered relatively minimal—in both cases, there’s a chance the player may have to have the shoulder surgically repaired after the 2024 season. Bryan Bresee, the Saints’ first-round pick last year, had a similar situation with his shoulder coming into the draft last year.

• Penix is a big one because he’s had multiple ACL tears and multiple shoulder surgeries. Exacerbating the problem, in the eyes of teams, is that he’s not an overly big-framed person, meaning he might prove to be more susceptible to additional injuries in the NFL, especially with the hits he tends to take in the pocket. Conversely, he made it through his two seasons at Washington without missing time.

• Washington OT Troy Fautanu’s knee was flagged. That one was described to me as the sort of issue that shouldn’t be a problem in the short term, but could wind up impacting his longevity in the pros (though his high football character is a factor in making teams feel like he’ll do all he can to take care of it, and give himself the best chance).

• Georgia WR Ladd McConkey’s situation is similar to Penix in that he’s dealt with a mountain of injuries, and he’s not overly big (185 pounds). So the concern is how his body holds up with the hits coming from bigger, faster players in the NFL.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...
My ignorant bold take.

Chargers draft JJ McCarthy, signaling Herbert is available. They get the future draft capital they are wanting by trading Herbert, and maximize it by creating draft day chaos.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I don’t think Odunze over Nabers is a stretch. I love Odunze. Just seemed notable to the draft process discourse.

The second tier wrs are plentiful in the second round of his rankings and he seems a bit lower on the safeties overall.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Reminder that Daltos livestreams the draft every year with better analysis than garbage rear end ESPN and NFL Network

https://www.twitch.tv/daltos

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

a neat cape posted:

Reminder that Daltos livestreams the draft every year with better analysis than garbage rear end ESPN and NFL Network

I've been taking a break from football after the Superbowl was very obviously rigged, but this is very true.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m gonna try and watch the first round live at a bar with the boys. First time doing that since 2019!!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

whos that broooown posted:

And yet the New England model hasn't seemed to work too well without it's Tom Brady has it?

Seemed to work for the Chiefs last year. But yeah you need that Mahomes or Brady level talent if the plan is to drag a bunch of dogshit third and fourth string pass catchers to the super bowl. At the end Bill got too high on his own farts and replaced Gronk and Edelman with the likes of N'Keal Harry and DeVante Parker while also having Mac Jones at QB. The model became "zero above average players on offense" and well you saw how that went.

BillsPhoenix posted:

My ignorant bold take.

Chargers draft JJ McCarthy, signaling Herbert is available. They get the future draft capital they are wanting by trading Herbert, and maximize it by creating draft day chaos.

Harbaugh unrepentantly drafting "oops all Michigan" would be unbelievable content

Odunze over Nabers…

"Tanner McLachlan" as TE2. I realize there isn't much consensus after Bowers but I've never even heard of this dude. He's TE7 in The Beast and not even projected as a starter for what that's worth

Mo Kamara at 71 :getin:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

BillsPhoenix posted:

My ignorant bold take.

If Jim Harbaugh wanted JJ McCarthy to throw the ball he'd have indicated that at some point in Michigan. If they're going to blow up their QB room it would probably be for a falling QB

My preferred Michigan Man Chaos Pick is Brock Bowers

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Can Harbaugh resist the siren call of an interior lineman named Jackson Powers-Johnson

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lord knows I could not

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Cash Monet posted:

Can Harbaugh resist the siren call of an interior lineman named Jackson Powers-Johnson

Jackson Powers-Johnson sounds like a future Hall-Of-Fame Center.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Good lord knows anyone can be a HOF center now if they have a podcast and wore a funny suit one time

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’m gonna try and watch the first round live at a bar with the boys. First time doing that since 2019!!

Is there a (legal) way to stream the draft this year without a paid TV service? Gotta figure out my own Thursday night game plan

Not that I give a poo poo what the analysts have to say but it's fun to see players walk up and everyone constantly booing Goodell and so on

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Is there a (legal) way to stream the draft this year without a paid TV service? Gotta figure out my own Thursday night game plan

Not that I give a poo poo what the analysts have to say but it's fun to see players walk up and everyone constantly booing Goodell and so on

It's on ABC I think

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cash Monet posted:

He should have been a baseball player, because his name sounds like a triple play.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

a neat cape posted:

With all due respect to the work Daltos puts in, the point of watching the draft on ESPN isn't analysis. It's to get hyped by highlights while their awesome NFL music plays.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
if you're not watching the NFL Draft with ESPN on the television, Twitter on your phone, Doltos' stream on your second monitor, a tracking spreadsheet of your preferred picks with links to a dozen different pre-draft rankings + post-draft instant reaction sites on your primary monitor, and a styrofoam container of buffalo wings on your lap, what the gently caress are you even doing

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SMH from the childless, for not including having paw patrol or something on too so you can focus on the draft

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

here is my hot take: the commanders should take jj mccarthy, because it would set off a chain of absolute trade pandemonium

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Odunze over Nabers…

Fisher and especially C. Jones being 54 and 55 and then follow it up with Goncalves at 88 is absolutely wild. Boyd and Vaki with 4th round grades also crazy.

Ray Davis with a 3rd round grade is insane.

Michael Hall Jr somewhere between 40 and 70 spots later than he'll actually go.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I hope there's a QB frenzy in the first 8 picks so the Bears can end up with MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze at 9. However, I think it's far more likely the WRs get snatched up early and the QBs (after Caleb) drop down further than expected.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Odunze over Nabers…

Wiggins that low, below Rakestraw, Kool Aid, Quinyon and Terrion is very surprising to me. Yes he's not super motivated against the run, but that's something that can be drilled into him and at the end of the day, I want my cornerbacks to cover. If they can do that at an elite level, they can pick up everything else.

For RBs, Will Shipley anywhere on that list is pretty surprising as well, and just one slot below Trey Benson and above Jaylen Wright? Blake Corum, Ray Davis, Jonathan Brooks and Marshawn Lloyd all above Jaylen Wright and Trey Benson?? Marshawn Lloyd RB1 is a pretty bold take, I don't actually mind it but putting Corum and Brooks and Davis above Wright and Benson is crazy to me.

I also don't really understand what people see in Marshawn Kneeland. I've watched plenty of his tape and he just looks like a big, stiff, unathletic edge player with zero bend. He also doesn't seem to have the power that you'd want in a player with his profile.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I hope there's a QB frenzy in the first 8 picks so the Bears can end up with MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze at 9. However, I think it's far more likely the WRs get snatched up early and the QBs (after Caleb) drop down further than expected.

I hope the QBs drop so there's even a slight chance that Vegas can trade up for Daniels somehow, but it won't happen because we're cursed to have :mediocre: QBs forever more

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Black Sunshine posted:

I hope the QBs drop so there's even a slight chance that Vegas can trade up for Daniels somehow, but it won't happen because we're cursed to have :mediocre: QBs forever more

I'm really hoping the Raiders end up with Penix. It might work out or it might not, but I like the fit and I think it would be super fun to see him play for that team.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm not sure what's up with Nate Wiggins but apparently he's off the Bucs draft board.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

wandler20 posted:

I'm not sure what's up with Nate Wiggins but apparently he's off the Bucs draft board.

Huh, is it character stuff I wonder?

I still doubt there's any chance he makes it out of the first round. If he falls the 49ers will take him at 31.

Doltos posted:

It's fun to flip through nfldraftbuzz pros and cons and then looking at the NFL combine pros and cons and seeing them just reword their sentences

lol yep that's about right. draft media is all about copying each others homework

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Brian Gutekunst said today that while the Packers are currently sitting at 11 picks, he wants to end the draft having had 13 or 14 picks. So the Pack will be trading down.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Play posted:

I also don't really understand what people see in Marshawn Kneeland. I've watched plenty of his tape and he just looks like a big, stiff, unathletic edge player with zero bend. He also doesn't seem to have the power that you'd want in a player with his profile.

I like him against a run. Navigates traffic and gets off blocks, pass rush is mediocre but he's enough of an athlete that I think people hope with some NFL strength and conditioning and development that he has potential as a 3 down player. I see it, but crapshoot as always with these guys.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Who drops this year despite being highly touted and then makes everyone look stupid because they were as good as advertised?

Safety is usually a good bet here, with Derwin James and Kyle Hamilton as recent examples. Rome Odunze seems possible to me. Guy will be great, but maybe a bunch of teams in the top 20 convince themselves they can get better "value" WRs in the next round.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

MrLogan posted:

I've been taking a break from football after the Superbowl was very obviously rigged, but this is very true.

Yes, I also haven't watched any football since the last football game

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Who drops this year despite being highly touted and then makes everyone look stupid because they were as good as advertised?

Safety is usually a good bet here, with Derwin James and Kyle Hamilton as recent examples. Rome Odunze seems possible to me. Guy will be great, but maybe a bunch of teams in the top 20 convince themselves they can get better "value" WRs in the next round.

Johnny Newton

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of a single negative thing I've read or heard about Odunze anywhere so him sliding past the Jets at the very latest would be stunning to me.

Bowers seems like an easy answer. "Sorry can't take a TE that high" *Bowers goes to Mike McDaniel and immediately destroys Kyle Pitts' rookie season* "How the gently caress did the league let him get Bowers"

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think Payton Wilson will hang around longer than he would have 10 - 20 years ago and ends up DROY.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I still think the falcons taking Kyle Pitts was one of the absolute worst picks for team and player in recent years. Absolute waste of an incredible talent on a team so incredibly hosed up roster wise.

Doltos posted:

Good lord knows anyone can be a HOF center now if they have a podcast and wore a funny suit one time

Forever mad about my legendary mediocre center :smuggo:

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 23, 2024

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Play posted:

I still doubt there's any chance he makes it out of the first round. If he falls the 49ers will take him at 31.

from your lips

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://x.com/MelKiperESPN/status/1782757825858454010

quote:

1. Caleb Williams, QB, USC
6-foot-1, 214 pounds

The Trojans struggled at the end of the regular season, losing five of their last six games, but it wasn't Williams' fault. There's a reason defensive coordinator Alex Grinch was fired. Williams threw 30 touchdown passes to just five interceptions. He had a really tough game against Notre Dame, when he threw three of those picks, but he bounced back and played really well. He also surpassed his rushing touchdowns total from the previous season, finishing with 11.

Just turn on the tape from any of the games from Williams' Heisman-winning 2022 season and you'll see why he's the top quarterback in this class. He had 52 total touchdowns -- 42 through the air -- with just five interceptions while completing 66.6% of his passes. He ranked in the top 10 in the FBS in QBR (87.6), passing yards (4,537), yards per attempt (9.1) and throws of 20-plus yards (69).

Williams is a fabulous playmaker, and there are "wow" throws all over his tape, even going back to his freshman season at Oklahoma. He's incredible escaping the pocket and making off-platform throws, excelling when plays break down. His improvisational skills are off the charts -- it's amazing how he can make the first defender miss and create first downs out of thin air. He has great field vision and throws dimes to receivers while under duress. He's very creative, which is not something we can usually say of quarterbacks.

Now, Williams is not the prototypical passer in terms of size. At 6-1, he'd be below average for a starting NFL quarterback. But as we saw with 2023 No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young, size matters less and less to the execs making decisions in front offices.

2. Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU
6-4, 210 pounds

I went deep on Daniels' future ahead of him taking home the Heisman Trophy. In short, he was consistent enough over the final two months of the regular season that I now feel comfortable moving him into my Big Board. I have a first-round grade on him, and he could go as high as No. 2. Over two seasons at LSU -- after he transferred from Arizona State -- Daniels threw 57 touchdown passes with just seven interceptions and added 21 rushing scores. He ranked No. 1 in the country in Total QBR last season (95.6), completing 72.2% of his passes while averaging 11.7 yards per attempt. Those are spectacular numbers.

Daniels has rare ability as a dual-threat playmaker. He can evade, elude and blow by defenders, but he also impressed with the way he can run through contact. But it's his improvement as a passer that has him looking like a Round 1 selection. Yes, having blue-chip wideouts Malik Nabers and Brian Thomas Jr. to throw to was a huge benefit, but they also were fortunate to have a passer like Daniels with a big-time skill set directing the offense.

3. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State
6-3, 209 pounds

I have an elite grade on Harrison, whose name should be familiar. His dad is that Marvin Harrison, whom I scouted coming out of Syracuse in 1996 and is now in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The younger Harrison is on track to get my highest pre-draft grade for a wideout since Calvin Johnson (2007) and Larry Fitzgerald (2004). Harrison has everything, from outstanding size and stellar hands to incredible body control and blazing speed. His dad ran a 4.33-second 40-yard dash before the 1996 draft but was just under 6 feet when the Colts took him in Round 1. Harrison Jr. is four inches taller and could have similar speed.

He caught 77 passes for 1,263 yards with 14 touchdowns in 2022. He had 67 catches for 1,211 yards and 15 total touchdowns last season.

4. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
6-3, 212 pounds

Odunze put up four straight 100-yard receiving games to begin the 2023 season, and he has a tremendous combination of size and speed. He's big, and he knows how to use his body to shield defenders. Watch him adjust on this touchdown catch against Boise State. Since 2020, Odunze put up 203 catches for 3,113 yards and 24 scores. He's used both inside and out. He can make defensive backs miss after the catch.

If Odunze had entered the 2023 draft, he likely would have been a Day 2 pick, but I have a top-five grade on him now. He could be a No. 1 target in the NFL.

5. Malik Nabers, WR, LSU
6-0, 200 pounds

I love watching Nabers, whose best trait is his speed. He can take the top off the defense. He was consistent in 2022, showing elite separation skills and the ability to high-point receptions. He also was balanced, catching 35 passes when lined up in the slot and 37 when lined up out wide. That versatility will matter at the next level. He finished with 72 catches for 1,017 yards and three touchdowns. He didn't work out at the combine, but he ran a 4.35-second 40-yard dash at his pro day in late March, which would have been a top-five time among receivers in Indianapolis.

Nabers blew away those numbers in 2023, catching 89 passes for 1,569 yards with 14 scores. He has good hands and showed toughness in taking a shot while hauling in a catch over the middle of the field. He tracks the ball exceptionally well. He gets easy separation on cornerbacks. I've been impressed with his run-after-the-catch ability. He lit up Mississippi State with 13 catches for 239 yards and two scores early in the season.

6. Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina
6-4, 223 pounds

Maye had a fantastic debut season as the starter at UNC, throwing for 4,321 yards with 38 touchdowns and seven picks in 2022. He looks the part of a big-time NFL signal-caller. He can make every throw with ease. He's accurate on the move and can pick up first downs with his legs. Maye varies his pass speeds really well -- he knows when to take a little off to make it easier for his receivers. He has outstanding touch on vertical throws.

The biggest question about Maye heading into the 2023 season was about who was catching his passes, as his top two receivers -- Josh Downs and Antoine Green -- are now in the NFL and transfer target Devontez Walker was finally made eligible. Breaking in new playmakers was part of the reason for predecessor Sam Howell's up-and-down 2021 season for the Tar Heels, and Maye had to figure things out with a new group.

Maye completed 63.3% of his passes during the season, and his best performance came when he threw for 442 yards and three scores against Syracuse. Still, he had a few sloppy interceptions, and I wanted to see him clean up those mistakes. He finished with 24 touchdown passes and nine picks.

7. Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia
6-3, 243 pounds

Bowers was an instant difference-maker for the Bulldogs as a true freshman in 2021, catching 56 passes for 882 yards and 13 touchdowns. He followed up that season with 63 catches for 942 yards and seven scores as Stetson Bennett's No. 1 target, winning his second consecutive national title. He's an advanced pass-catcher and should make an instant impact when he gets to the NFL.

Though he's not huge -- former teammate Darnell Washington made him look small at times -- he's a matchup nightmare for defenses. He has great hand-eye coordination and run-after-the-catch ability, and he can stretch the field down the seams. I also love the way he tracks the ball, high-pointing it above defenders. Bowers had 56 catches for 714 yards and six touchdowns during the season, his first with Carson Beck throwing him passes. He had surgery on his injured left ankle in October but was able to return a few weeks later.

8. Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame

6-8, 321 pounds

Alt started 33 games at left tackle for the Fighting Irish, and I was most impressed by his technique on a snap-to-snap basis. He rarely gets caught out. He mirrors well in pass protection, adjusting easily to secondary moves from edge rushers. He does a great job keeping his huge frame between the defender and his quarterback. In his career, he allowed just 16 total pressures in more than 1,000 pass-block snaps.

Alt's father, John, was a first-round offensive tackle, too, going No. 21 overall to the Chiefs in 1984. He was 6-7, 275 pounds when he entered the NFL, which shows you how the game has changed since then.

9. Dallas Turner, OLB, Alabama
6-3, 247 pounds

I struggled a bit with Turner's 2022 tape because of who was on the opposite side of him. He's not the same caliber of pass-rusher as former teammate Will Anderson Jr., who went No. 3 overall in April. Turner had 60 quarterback pressures from 2021 to '22, while Anderson had ... 130. So, when Anderson was always getting to the passer first, it's tough to judge the other guy.

Still, when projecting what Turner could be, there's a lot to like. He shows flashes of stellar pass-rush moves, and he's good at shedding blocks in the run game. He also has the physical traits to chase down running backs. He had 10 sacks for the Crimson Tide in 2023. He also ranked eighth in the FBS with a 16.7% pressure rate.

10. Troy Fautanu, G, Washington
6-4, 317 pounds

Fautanu really impressed me in 2023. He played 114 snaps at guard over the past three years, but the majority of his time was at left tackle, where he allowed just two sacks and 25 total pressures in 28 starts. That's on more than 1,100 pass-blocking snaps. He is a hard-nosed, intense tackle, but he plays under control and has excellent feet and strong hands. He kept the pocket clean for quarterback Michael Penix Jr., who was sacked just 11 times in 15 games.

I see Fautanu's future at guard as a way to best maximize his skill set, but I'm not ruling out that he'll end up at tackle. He reminds me a little bit of Alijah Vera-Tucker, who went No. 14 overall to the Jets in 2021. Fautanu's versatility will be a huge asset at the next level.

11. JC Latham, OT, Alabama
6-6, 342 pounds

Latham is a mountain of an offensive tackle who is light on his feet. I really like the way he explodes out of his stance. He's tough at the point of attack. He blows defenders off the line of scrimmage in the run game, driving and sustaining his blocks in space. Where Latham needs to improve is in his technique -- he can be sloppy. Latham started 27 games at right tackle, but he also has played guard. He'll likely be a right tackle at the next level.

12. Laiatu Latu, OLB, UCLA
6-5, 259 pounds

NFL teams crave edge rushers, and there's a case to be made that Latu was college football's best edge rusher in 2022. He ranked first in the FBS in total pressures (55) and pressure percentage (19.1%), and his 10.5 sacks ranked ninth. He was just as good in 2023. During the regular season, he ranked first in pressure percentage (20.1%) and pressures (56) and was fourth in sacks (13). He had a midseason stretch of 5.5 sacks and 5.5 tackles for loss over three games.

Latu is a polished pass-rusher who knows how to use his hands and has a knack for slipping by offensive tackles. What I like, too, is that he understands that a sack is great but a strip sack is even better; he had three of those in 2022 and one more in 2023. The Washington transfer consistently disrupts plays behind the line of scrimmage. Latu plays on his feet off the edge of UCLA's defense, and he could be an ideal 3-4 outside linebacker at the next level.

15. Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State
6-6, 312 pounds

Fashanu had been moving up my Big Board last fall before he announced in November that he planned to return to school in 2023. He could have been a top-10 pick in that draft, challenging Paris Johnson Jr. to be the top tackle off the board. Fashanu has the size, footwork and physical traits teams want in a high-end left tackle. He moves effortlessly and with urgency, getting his hands on second-level defenders with ease. The exciting part? Fashanu is still developing. He has started just 21 career games and turned 21 years old in December.

14. Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa
6-1, 203 pounds

Iowa's defense produced two first-round picks (Lukas Van Ness and Jack Campbell) and a third-rounder (Riley Moss) in the 2023 draft, and yet it was DeJean who kept catching my eye when I went back through the 2022 film. He had five interceptions, including three that he returned for touchdowns. But it wasn't just the big plays -- I was impressed with his technique on a snap-to-snap basis. He played in the slot and out wide, showing off tremendous speed to stick to receivers. He's just silky as a cover man.

DeJean has the physical tools to be the top corner in this class, but unfortunately, his 2023 season ended early because of a broken leg he suffered in practice in mid-November. He finished with two picks.

15. J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan
6-2, 219 pounds

McCarthy has first-round arm talent and can beat defenses with his legs too. He ranked third in the country in Total QBR (89.2) and completion percentage (72.3%) in 2023. Since he took over as the Wolverines' starter in 2022, he threw 44 touchdown passes and nine interceptions. Five of those INTs came in two games, however; he threw three against Bowling Green earlier in 2023, and he had two pick-sixes in the College Football Playoff semifinal loss to TCU in 2022. Outside of those two games, he has managed games effectively and made great decisions with the football.

Sure, McCarthy averaged just 22.1 pass attempts per game in 2023 and needed to complete only 10 passes in the national title game, but his upside is immense.

16. Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon State
6-6, 324 pounds

Fuaga is a physical right tackle who started 25 career games for the Beavers. He brings a defensive mentality to the position; the defender he's matching up with better be fully prepared for a battle in the trenches. He is the ultimate finisher as a run-blocker, getting easy movement, and he more than holds his own in pass protection. He allowed just one sack over the past two seasons. He has powerful hands and can handle secondary moves from edge rushers.

The more I watched Fuaga in 2023, the more excited I was about his future in the NFL. He is still a work in progress and has yet to reach his full potential.

17. Brian Thomas Jr., WR, LSU
6-3, 209 pounds

Thomas is a fun player to watch, and he excelled catching passes from Daniels on the other side of Nabers. He has great length and a huge catch radius, which makes him a nightmare to match up with for smaller defensive backs. He can take the top off a defense -- he averaged 17.3 yards per catch last season. I really like the way he uses his acceleration ability to get late separation. Thomas finished the season with 68 catches for 1,177 yards and led the FBS with 17 touchdowns. The arrow is pointing up; Thomas needs a little bit more polish, but he's just scratching the surface of his talent.

18. Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas
5-11, 165 pounds

Worthy is an electrifying player with the ball in his hands (and I wrote this before he broke the NFL combine 40-yard dash record with a time of 4.21 seconds). His quickness and movement in space reminds me a little bit of Marquise "Hollywood" Brown, who starred at Oklahoma and was a first-round pick in 2019. Worthy is tall but very thin. He can fly by cornerbacks on vertical routes and take the top off the defense. He had 60 catches for 760 yards and nine scores in 2022 and had 75 catches for 1,014 yards and five touchdowns last season.

His biggest problem? Catching the ball. He had 10 drops in 2022 -- he also dealt with a hand injury, to be fair -- but he was more consistent last season, with five on 114 targets. Worthy also could be a dynamic punt returner at the next level.

19. Graham Barton, C, Duke
6-5, 313 pounds

Barton made 39 career starts for the Blue Devils, first at center, where he started five games as a true freshman in 2020, then as a left tackle, where he has had over 2,000 college snaps. He has been a rock on the left side of the line. Barton is extremely coachable and technically sound, and he has excellent natural ability. He plays an aggressive style of football. He is equally adept at both pass protection and moving defenders off the line of scrimmage in the run game.

The NFL will love Barton's game-to-game consistency, starting experience and versatility -- he could potentially play any spot along the line. I see his best pro fit at center, which is why he's my top-ranked player at the position. I think he'll go in the 20s on Thursday and be an instant starter.

20. Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo
6-0, 195 pounds

Mitchell was one of the most impressive prospects at Senior Bowl practices, holding his own against other top prospects. Mitchell is a ball hawk who had six interceptions in his final two seasons at Toledo. In his four-year career, he finished with 46 pass breakups. He's technically sound and instinctive; he didn't allow a single touchdown as the nearest defender in coverage in 2023. He has the speed and ability to close on the ball and jar it loose from a receiver. He's also a solid tackler in run support.

21. Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama
6-0, 189 pounds

Arnold, who started 21 career games for the Crimson Tide, developed into a shutdown defender. He picked off six passes and had 20 total breakups as quarterbacks completed just 43.7% of their passes when he was the nearest defender in coverage over the past two seasons. He allowed just four receptions of 20-plus yards in 2023. Arnold understands angles in press coverage and is aggressive in rerouting wide receivers at the line of scrimmage. He has great speed and acceleration when he turns his hips. He's going to be a great pro.

22. Jared Verse, DE, Florida State
6-4, 254 pounds

Verse could have gone in Round 1 last April. He decided to return to school, however, in order to try to move into the top 10 picks. He had nine sacks in his first season at FSU after transferring from Albany, where he had 10.5 sacks in 2021. He was a little inconsistent for the Seminoles -- a knee injury likely contributed -- but his combination of power and speed off the edge is impressive. Verse is super quick off the line of scrimmage and is tenacious as a pass-rusher. He is a perfect fit as an end in a 4-3 defense.

He had a two-sack performance against Wake Forest in late October and a dominant 2.5-sack game against Florida in late November, but he still has a tendency to disappear at times. He finished with nine sacks on the season.

23. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
6-8, 340 pounds | Previously: 25

I included Mims in my preseason Big Board, even after he had started only two college games, because of the talent I saw in his minimal playing time and because of how college coaches and NFL front office execs talked him up. They expected great things. Mims didn't disappoint, though he got off to a slow start in 2023 because of ankle surgery that limited him to playing in seven games.

If you could draw up the perfect right tackle prospect, it would be Mims, who is light on his feet and can deliver a jolt in run-blocking situations. He has a massive wingspan. He didn't allow any sacks in nearly 400 career pass-blocking snaps. He was incredibly impressive against Georgia Tech, showing off his upside. Though he started just eight career games and there's some risk in Round 1, the potential is immense.

24. Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington
6-2, 216 pounds

If you didn't watch every game from Penix and the Huskies the past two seasons, you missed out. They had one of college football's best offenses of the past decade, and Penix was the catalyst. He completed 65.4% of his passes in 2023, with 36 touchdown passes and 11 picks. He absolutely benefited from having an elite wide receiver corps -- Rome Odunze, Jalen McMillan and Ja'Lynn Polk all could go in the first three rounds this weekend -- but when you study the tape, you see he has the arm talent, accuracy to all levels, decision-making and toughness to become a successful starting QB in the NFL.

The big question with the Indiana transfer going into the season: Could he stay healthy in back-to-back seasons? The left-handed thrower struggled with shoulder and knee injuries over his four years for the Hoosiers, though he was impressive when he was on the field. His offensive line certainly helped him stay clean over the past two seasons, as he was sacked just 16 times. Penix, who will be 24 years old when he takes his first NFL snap, leveled up as a deep-ball passer in 2023 -- he had 46 completions on passes thrown 20-plus yards downfield, which ranked first in in the FBS.

25. Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson
6-1, 173 pounds

Clemson had a disappointing 2023 season, but Wiggins stood out all over the Tigers' defensive tape. He was impressive despite missing two games with a knee injury. He allowed 18 catches for 179 yards as the nearest defender in coverage, and two of those were turned into touchdowns.

He has the length and recovery speed to match up effectively with any wideout he goes up against. Wiggins shows a smooth turning motion, good instincts in coverage and can make up ground in a hurry while using his height and arm length as a major advantage.

Overall rankings: Nos. 26-150
26. Edgerrin Cooper, ILB, Texas A&M
27. Byron Murphy II, DT, Texas
28. Darius Robinson, DL, Missouri
29. Chop Robinson, OLB, Penn State
30. Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma
31. Bo Nix, QB, Oregon
32. Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina
33. Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State
34. Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona
35. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
36. Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas
37. Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia
38. T.J. Tampa, CB, Iowa State
39. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida
40. Jer'Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois
41. Adisa Isaac, DE, Penn State
42. Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky
43. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
44. Kamari Lassiter, CB, Georgia
45. Ruke Orhorhoro, DT, Clemson
46. Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State
47. Javon Bullard, DB, Georgia
48. Ben Sinnott, TE, Kansas State
49. Chris Braswell, OLB, Alabama
50. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers
51. Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington
52. Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon
53. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
54. Ennis Rakestraw Jr., CB, Missouri
55. Payton Wilson, ILB, NC State
56. Mike Sainristil, CB, Michigan
57. Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
58. Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU
59. Christian Haynes, G, Connecticut
60. Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan
61. Cole Bishop, S, Utah
62. Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington
63. Marshawn Kneeland, DE, Western Michigan
64. Junior Colson, ILB, Michigan
65. Patrick Paul, OT, Houston
66. Jonathon Brooks, RB, Texas
67. Braden Fiske, DT, Florida State
68. Mohamed Kamara, OLB, Colorado State
69. Michael Hall Jr., DT, Ohio State
70. Jalyx Hunt, OLB, Houston Christian
71. Jaden Hicks, S, Washington State
72. Dru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
73. Zak Zinter, G, Michigan
74. Ja'Lynn Polk, WR, Washington
75. Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas
76. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame
77. Bralen Trice, OLB, Washington
78. Maason Smith, DT, LSU
79. Tez Walker, WR, North Carolina
80. Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota
81. Theo Johnson, TE, Penn State
82. Dominick Puni, G, Kansas
83. Javon Baker, WR, UCF
84. Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami
85. Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State
86. Mason McCormick, G, South Dakota State
87. T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
88. Jared Wiley, TE, TCU
89. Brennan Jackson, DE, Washington State
90. Brandon Coleman, G, TCU
91. Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida State
92. Mekhi Wingo, DT, LSU
93. DeWayne Carter, DT, Duke
94. Cedric Gray, ILB, North Carolina
95. Elijah Jones, CB, Boston College
96. Kris Abrams-Draine, CB, Missouri
97. Brandon Dorlus, DL, Oregon
98. Christian Jones, OT, Texas
99. Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina
100. Tanner McLachlan, TE, Arizona
101. Trey Benson, RB, Florida State
102. Calen Bullock, S, USC
103. Jonah Elliss, OLB, Utah
104. MarShawn Lloyd, RB, USC
105. Dadrion Taylor-Demerson, S, Texas Tech
106. D.J. James, CB, Auburn
107. Austin Booker, OLB, Kansas
108. Jeremiah Trotter Jr., ILB, Clemson
109. Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale
110. Jaylen Wright, RB, Tennessee
111. Nathaniel "Bookie" Watson, ILB, Mississippi State
112. Jamari Thrash, WR, Louisville
113. Caelen Carson, CB, Wake Forest
114. Christian Mahogany, G, Boston College
115. Cam Hart, CB, Notre Dame
116. Brenden Rice, WR, USC
117. Braelon Allen, RB, Wisconsin
118. Matt Goncalves, OT, Pitt
119. Blake Corum, RB, Michigan
120. Malik Washington, WR, Virginia
121. Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
122. Jaylin Simpson, S, Auburn
123. Tanor Bortolini, C, Wisconsin
124. Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville
125. Jarvis Brownlee Jr., CB, Louisville
126. Bub Means, WR, Pitt
127. Javon Solomon, OLB, Troy
128. Qwan'tez Stiggers, CB, Toronto (CFL)
129. Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon
130. Beau Brade, S, Maryland
131. Tykee Smith, S, Georgia
132. Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
133. Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane
134. Ray Davis, RB, Kentucky
135. Trevin Wallace, ILB, Kentucky
136. Bucky Irving, RB, Oregon
137. Malik Mustapha, S, Wake Forest
138. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State
139. Kamal Hadden, CB, Tennessee
140. Nathan Thomas, OT, Louisiana
141. Dominique Hampton, S, Washington
142. Isaiah Davis, RB, South Dakota State
143. Renardo Green, CB, Florida State
144. Josh Newton, CB, TCU
145. Blake Watson, RB, Memphis
146. Myles Harden, CB, South Dakota
147. JD Bertrand, ILB, Notre Dame
148. Khristian Boyd, DT, No. Iowa
149. Luke McCaffrey, WR, Rice
150. Jack Westover, TE, Washington

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I don't think people would be so down on Bowers in the top 10 if he wasn't so unjacked and also balding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

150. Jack Westover, TE, Washington

wut