Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

TotalLossBrain posted:

Sorry goons. Trump keeps claiming you need an ID to buy groceries. I mistakenly thought more people would be familiar with it.

Oh thank gently caress I thought I was losing my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Does anyone still write "SEE ID" as their signature on the back of their credit card? Has anyone ever asked to see ID?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i just saw a commercial for the marines and it was just some scifi emp truck killing some birds that transformed into drones. the commercials used to have dragons and flaming swords and poo poo. I'd say that’s a solid downgrade.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

TotalLossBrain posted:

Sorry goons. Trump keeps claiming you need an ID to buy groceries. I mistakenly thought more people would be familiar with it.

I thought this was the funny things you remember in politics thread for a sec and then i was surprised at people not getting the reference too lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I also thought it was just a funny way of saying TotalLossBrain was an alcoholic.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

mawarannahr posted:

Does anyone still write "SEE ID" as their signature on the back of their credit card? Has anyone ever asked to see ID?

I haven't had anyone look at the back of my card in probably 10 years

Most transactions don't require a signature anymore anyway so what would they compare it to

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

teen witch posted:

My sinuses are getting shittier, why am I feeling new sinus pain. How much sinuses can a person even have? Am I just all sinus?

Glad to have gotten AI results when googling, cool and good.

I don't know if it's me getting older or if pollen is worse this year, but my allergies are out of control this year. My eyes and throat have itched for the last two weeks now.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

teen witch posted:

My sinuses are getting shittier, why am I feeling new sinus pain. How much sinuses can a person even have? Am I just all sinus?

In the last few years my sinuses and allergys have gotten significantly worse - to the point where I lost 20lbs last year because my stomach got angry at the sheer amount of mucus happening. I made an appointment with an allergist and he asked if I had had covid and I said no but I guess apparently a lot of peoples allergies are getting a lot worse post covid. In my case I just have a really bad dust mite allergy so im finally getting allergy shots.

Even with out outdoor/tree allergies the pollen levels are so loving high right now. Wearing a mask on high pollen days outside can make things a lot less difficult to deal with. Like if you do yard work or just plan to spend an extended amount of time outside it really really helps.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

Signatures are no longer required, the prank from Zug actually got cited in some legal stuff about it.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 23, 2024

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've paid for everything with a card since age 10 (except for weirdo paper check only places) and I've never signed any of them and nobody but me has ever looked at the card.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, has anyone actually even had to hand their credit card to the cashier in the last decade? They sure as poo poo ain't checking anything when the credit card never leaves your hand.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
getting locked out of your own credit card by an overly vigilant server because of your "request ID" message in the signature line, sorry but your presented "ID" is not sufficient, do you have another means of payment?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
most credit cards have flush numbers instead of raised ones now too, so they couldn't use the chunk-chunk machine anymore even if they still had one

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

TotalLossBrain posted:

Ugh, that doesn't surprise me. Makes sense now.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

teen witch posted:

humans gain 1% sinus per year, which is why most people over 100 just want to die already

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

UFOTacoMan posted:

*doing a post*

*somehow it ends up on one drive instead*

*Starts car to go to store*

*Somehow ends up on one drive*

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

UFOTacoMan posted:

*doing a post*

*somehow it ends up on one drive instead*

I Shoulda Never Smoke That poo poo Now I'm At Microsoft OneDrive

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah I don't think it's ever worked for me. I'll search for a file that I have and am looking at and it opens a web search. I wrote it off years ago.

Windows search works for me, it always takes like 20+ minutes.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Everyone who still uses Windows should get PowerToys. Definitely doesn't solve all that's making it a bad OS, but at least it gives you things like usable search.

It's kinda funny that you need to install what appears to be some Microsoft engineers' hobby project to get basic features into a usable state though.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Why is there now an ai search option in whatsapp? Why is there a community tab? Who wants these things? Why is there no option to turn them off?

I only use it to send photos of the kids to my mum, have I been missing out on something?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

I was required by a highschool job on pain of immediate firing to always request ID if presented with a credit card that said "See ID" and Id say 99% of them bitched about it and less than half actually had it.

Which was worrying because they drove to get there

Edit: 20% of them had a different name on the credit card and on their ID like congrats on playing yourself????

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 23, 2024

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

carrionman posted:

Why is there now an ai search option in whatsapp? Why is there a community tab? Who wants these things? Why is there no option to turn them off?

I only use it to send photos of the kids to my mum, have I been missing out on something?

facebook is reproducing. sorry

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Barudak posted:

Edit: 20% of them had a different name on the credit card and on their ID like congrats on playing yourself????

I used my mums card for years because that was where our benefits went, and one of us has to buy food. My partner mostly uses mine when shopping because that's where the food-money lives. Using somebody elses card isn't that weird?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Nettle Soup posted:

I used my mums card for years because that was where our benefits went, and one of us has to buy food. My partner mostly uses mine when shopping because that's where the food-money lives. Using somebody elses card isn't that weird?

It's not, but if the card says See ID in the signature panel and your ID doesn't match them you should expect the transaction to be refused. That's the whole point of writing See ID on your card.

So if you share cards don't write See ID on them?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
dont worry the gimmicky AI poo poo will go bust soon and start disappearing from all these products once the business geniuses finally realize how much that poo poo costs to operate in terms of computing power vs. how many customers will ever care or use it

AppleSeason
May 23, 2011
Online credit card payments.

I was going to get the archives upgrade for SA, got "error happened", thought may be it was a problem with using a debit card. I tried to do it again with a credit card, same result...

The next day the bank calls me telling that "something awful was trying to make purchases". The only awful thing is the security paranoia. There are so many backgrounds checks and an added security bridge employing one time security codes (that's probably where the problem is) that I can't use my own money. Trying to explain a bank employee what Something Awful is and the concept of paying for an account was pretty surrealistic.

I'm glad I got my account 10 years ago when things used to be simpler.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

deep dish peat moss posted:

I took the train into Chicago once and I was stuck sitting behind a kid who peed the seat and wouldn't stop talking to his parents about how the buildings were big but God was the biggest building in his life. Don't do it!!

You missed out on hours of entertainment:

Dwight Schrute voice: Incorrect, god is not actually a building

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Buce posted:

i just saw a commercial for the marines and it was just some scifi emp truck killing some birds that transformed into drones. the commercials used to have dragons and flaming swords and poo poo. I'd say that’s a solid downgrade.

That poo poo with the dragon and the chessboard was great. Also the one with the disturbed soundtrack was on point. The simple ones with actors telling lies about how they live in Hawaii and CLEP'd a whole medical degree in their spare time were probably at least effective.

Nobody's gonna make poor decisions because your commercial has drones and ipads. All that poo poo is little kids toys now.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Internet Old One posted:

dragon and the chessboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thMS1-hFHZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tnJtLBQzQ

The ads that convinced me the Marine Corps were decidedly not for me as a child/teen

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

It's not, but if the card says See ID in the signature panel and your ID doesn't match them you should expect the transaction to be refused. That's the whole point of writing See ID on your card.

So if you share cards don't write See ID on them?

Gonna admit, i just had to take my card out of my wallet to see if it even had a space to sign. I've had a debit card for probably twenty years now, and I don't think I've ever bothered once in all that time, and nobody has ever questioned me on it.

That said, we've also had chip and pin for a decade longer than the US. I guess it's an anti-fraud thing, to write that?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
“Anti fraud” I mean on paper sure

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeh it used to be in the US that cashiers had to check if the signature on the back of the card matched the receipt, you just took me back to a terrible customer interaction I had as a young cashier where someone got incensed I didn't ask to See ID and ranted that no one follows their written instructions :psyduck: so glad that era is over

Bc that poo poo was just banks and credit card companies forcing underpaid retail workers to be their first line in fraud defense, which they weren't too keen to do bc gently caress you, predatory lending systems, we do not care about your bottom line. Turns out people will be predatory right back atcha, and drafting the common man to be your defender at no extra cost doesn't work out.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 23, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Banks used to have whole departments that compared check signatures to signatures on record. As late as the seventies every single check was checked. That’s what the card signature checks came out of.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

MrQwerty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thMS1-hFHZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tnJtLBQzQ

The ads that convinced me the Marine Corps were decidedly not for me as a child/teen
Relevant Generation Kill clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMz5ue45Aos&t=9s

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Banks used to have whole departments that compared check signatures to signatures on record. As late as the seventies every single check was checked. That’s what the card signature checks came out of.

Oh for sure, and when everything was paper this made sense. Once banking became digital, signature verification became way less secure and it took the US banking systems a while to catch on that the way they've done things forever, no longer works. We'll just...keep the same signature verification system with cards, it'll work if we force it and get the frontline workers to be more diligent!!

It did not

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It was dead even before that. The sheer volume killed it even before computers made it even dumber.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol that pressure when you realize the signature on the back of your credit card is hopelessly smeared and there's no way anyone could verify it....

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I've never signed any of my credit cards outside of my first one ever and never had it come up.

... except for just a couple days ago in Japan when a store wouldn't take my card unless it was signed. And then they just gave me a pen to sign it in front of them anyways :v:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

RuBisCO posted:

I've never signed any of my credit cards outside of my first one ever and never had it come up.

... except for just a couple days ago in Japan when a store wouldn't take my card unless it was signed. And then they just gave me a pen to sign it in front of them anyways :v:
I assume they've had chip-and-pin cards forever in Japan. In my experience, a lot of clerks in chip-and-pin countries get really weird about our junk-rear end insecure cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

cat botherer posted:

I assume they've had chip-and-pin cards forever in Japan. In my experience, a lot of clerks in chip-and-pin countries get really weird about our junk-rear end insecure cards.

every card i have had outside EBT for like 10 years has been a chip card