Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Toxic fallout is a weird nothing event that I really dislike. Either it hits early on when you're scrabbling for food, in which case you either die or move off the tile, or it hits when you're established enough and it's trivially dealt with with only a bunch of annoying zoning micromanagement and building roofs over everything. It also punishes suboptimal-but-aesthetic base design and rewards "cram everything in a big box and/or under a mountain" base design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Makes me hope cherrypicker gets updated soon, so I can just selectively turn it off and clean the bloat out of some of my preferred mods like usual

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What does Inhuman ideology entail exactly? It's the Inhumanization specifically that I don't understand.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Jawnycat posted:

Makes me hope cherrypicker gets updated soon, so I can just selectively turn it off and clean the bloat out of some of my preferred mods like usual

When starting a game, you can edit the scenario and remove a bunch of events. I always remove the short circuit/zzzt event and solar flare.
If you want to add it to an existing game, create a new game with the stuff you don't want, then edit the save games and move it over. If you need further instructions, just post and someone will help you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've heard that Zzzt... event simply can't happen if you only use the hidden conduits.

I certainly haven't seen it in 1.5

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Traditionally it also couldn't happen if you didn't use batteries(i.e. you used all wood/chemfuel/geothermal for power and never used wind/solar), though I haven't started up a colony since the new version so that might have changed in 1.5.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Enclosed bases are great until the resident pyro breaks and the ambient inside temp shoots up to the triple digits.

...not that I've had this issue recently.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Retro42 posted:

Enclosed bases are great until the resident pyro breaks and the ambient inside temp shoots up to the triple digits.

...not that I've had this issue recently.

There's a sure fire solution to pyros, tho.

It's a bullet.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Jack Trades posted:

What does Inhuman ideology entail exactly? It's the Inhumanization specifically that I don't understand.

Characters with an inhumanization ideology will go cthulhu-crazy the first time they have a mental break. This will give them a permanent mood boost and big penalties to social and animal skills.

Inhumanized characters don't care about wearing tainted gear, they don't get unhappy from seeing chimeras, they don't mind wearing dread leather, they aren't bothered by the stuff colonists with one of the new anomaly-specific mood breaks do, they are perfectly happy eating monster meat, they aren't bothered by having tentacle arms, etc. They are basically cult fanatics. It's a great ideo for leaning into the Anomaly content.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Kanos posted:

Traditionally it also couldn't happen if you didn't use batteries(i.e. you used all wood/chemfuel/geothermal for power and never used wind/solar), though I haven't started up a colony since the new version so that might have changed in 1.5.

I'm running only wood and chem with no batteries and getting tons of Zzt.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Can cant believe i nearly got done in by undead guinea pigs

Thread title?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kanos posted:

It couldn't happen if you didn't use conduits, i.e if you directly connected everything to your power producers.

It could happen if you didn't use batteries but it would only start small fires rather than explosions, the explosion scales with battery power.

I also haven't really noticed it in 1.5 except maybe once but I might have been using normal conduit then.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
This week on the Rim: Some Neanderthals are about to attack, I send out my one Yttakin fighter to Warcall a nearby grizzly bear, and then am confused when my guy suddenly is KO'd and bleeding out when nobody is near him.

Then the Metalhorror Emergence event popup appears! Turns out my man got infected from a sightstealer(?!?!?) awhile ago, and infected three of my other six colonists while feeding them at some point. So now I have a bleeding out colonist slowly crawling home while his metalhorror spawn and an angry bear are fighting the invaders, and in-base, my vampire, his dirtmole wife, and a slightly-dinged-up pigskin fighter (who had beaten up a gorehulk a day prior) are going bedroom to bedroom beating up the horrors while the vamp is spamming Coagulate on everyone.

Somehow, everyone survives (the raiders tried to kidnap the Yttakin but his carrier lost too much blood and collapsed at the map edge, giving :drac: enough time to chain Leap over and coagulate/rescue my guy, drag him back to base, and dump a hemogen pack into him.)

24h later another neanderthal raid happens, 2 colonists die, 3 get kidnapped, most of my power plants get destroyed. Of my remaining two colonists, one is injured and resting, the other (my remaining good medic and construction pawn) is going to die of the flu within a day because the past 48h of events resulted in her not getting enough medical treatment. I have her rebuild my geothermal plant before she dies.

Then the Obelisk outside hits 100% and my last pawn Goes Away. A thunderstorm sets the field around my geothermal plant on fire and it burns down, 600 meat in my freezer promptly expires.

:xcom:

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Solar flare would be cooler if it killed power generation only and tested your battery supply. As it is I disable it alongside sapper raids.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I got a wandering blind healer who wanted to join my colony and insisted I ask no questions about him whatsoever. He came with an “unnatural healing” ability, which rapidly healed people but caused fleshmass mutations. It was cool, but after keeping him around for a bit he turned hostile and summoned sightstealers to attack the base. Managed to take down the sightstealers and arrest him, but does anyone know if he’ll pull this poo poo again if I recruit him? Tried releasing him, but he just leaves.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Inadequately posted:

I got a wandering blind healer who wanted to join my colony and insisted I ask no questions about him whatsoever. He came with an “unnatural healing” ability, which rapidly healed people but caused fleshmass mutations. It was cool, but after keeping him around for a bit he turned hostile and summoned sightstealers to attack the base. Managed to take down the sightstealers and arrest him, but does anyone know if he’ll pull this poo poo again if I recruit him? Tried releasing him, but he just leaves.

I did this to a guy who betrayed me and he seemed loyal afterwards.

One fun thing I wanna try doing is making my entrance a big freezer full of corpses with deadlife ieds in them. The zombies kill invaders adding more corpses for next time.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I got a blind healer yttakin, whose drawback is just unsettling conversations, and after inducting him into my cyborg cult we gave him a bionic eye, regrew the other, and gave him a toxic filtration lung. He's like a new man.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Jack Trades posted:

I'm really not a fan of the idea of keeping the DLC separate.
They should be doing the opposite, integrating all the DLC with each other as much as possible to make the game feel more like a coherent whole.

yeah there's a middle ground of this, having cool and interesting intersectional content without making it so uber that it seems mandatory. and without investing gobs of work.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i got a guy who just seemed sketch and was like no

he summoned a flesh beast horde and attacked himself.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A tribal tech Anomaly mod, adds low tech holding platform and a couple other things:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3228158975

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Man there are some things in this game that are just monumentally loving dumb.

Smoothing walls seems pretty dumb when I swear you can just mine them, clear them, and build new ones in less time - but at least they're strong and potentially worth the investment for defense.

Just "claimed" a structure and I have 3 colonists repairing walls on the smallest room ever. It's taken days. It would have likely taken less time to build 5 equivalent rooms from scratch. Why the gently caress does this even exist as an option.

Also lost my last game because I had my doctor set to "self-tend" and some rear end in a top hat we murdered dropped a bunch of nice health packs super early in the game and he ran off to get them while dying instead of using the ones that were a square away and I didn't notice.

He was also responsible for saving the other guy so when I saw he was dead I just said gently caress it and deleted the whole thing.

Some colonies just don't deserve saving.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 22, 2024

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

1 day into this new game and my colonist had a heart attack

Does "ideology" add some kind of "gently caress you" difficulty or something?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Are you playing with Randy?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
lol you started with a colonist who had a heart condition or was like 90 years old.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

PSA: overdosing on a psychite based drug can just instantly kill you

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Are you playing with Randy?

always lol, still never seen a heart attack that early

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

lol you started with a colonist who had a heart condition or was like 90 years old.

70, no hc

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
70 is more than enough to keel over at any time, sorry

I've had a pawn die from a heart attack at 55 before

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well this is better than having the entire colony get overtaken before you can react to it I guess (three out of eight colonists) but this time they just popped with zero clues, much too consider

experiencing so much anxiety over modes of transmission that I'm gonna just not bother trying to take any precautions whatsoever in the future lol

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Flesh Forge posted:

Well this is better than having the entire colony get overtaken before you can react to it I guess (three out of eight colonists) but this time they just popped with zero clues, much too consider

experiencing so much anxiety over modes of transmission that I'm gonna just not bother trying to take any precautions whatsoever in the future lol

Yeah, there is no point worrying about it before the event triggers.
It also seems designed for large colonies. With smaller colonies you won't have time to research it before it infects half your colonists. Fortunately it's not too hard to handle any more

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lol even at 3 out of 8 that was still a wipe, of course they're massive damage sponges

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Flesh Forge posted:

lol even at 3 out of 8 that was still a wipe, of course they're massive damage sponges

Did you have any dedicated melee pawns? Last I got that event, I tanked all of them with a single ghoul. Fortunately they were all in different rooms though, so I only had to take on one at a time

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Born to gently caress, unable to go to bed, what has science done

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Did you have any dedicated melee pawns? Last I got that event, I tanked all of them with a single ghoul. Fortunately they were all in different rooms though, so I only had to take on one at a time

all of them are dedicated highly optimal melee pawns, just we're tribal and have not had time to unlock and grow/mine and craft anything armor-like or good-weapon-like
e: aside from this the pawns they popped out of were badly damaged, bleeding out in a small number of hours while we were fighting the three metalhorrors (4 of my starting 5 were doctors too but three of four were badly shredded and 1-2 hours from death by the time there was an opportunity to do any treating)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 22, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Ngl, this is among the most hosed-up things in Rimworld right now. Imprison some monsters to drain for bioferrite, summon some rando via ritual, squeeze the life force out of them like a lemon. I could have squeezed harder, but didn't want to Saio to become too young.

My The Thing infested 2/3 of my melee fighters. My colony was saved by a child keeping people from bleeding out while the other fighters regrouped and removed the threat. It's a miracle the colony survived, and even more incredible that nobody died. One of my pawns crawled from the anima tree to the colony entrance, leaving an insanely long blood trail.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Aren't smoothed walls also more beautiful? That's a good enough reason to have the option

For mountain bases I smooth a lot of walls and floors, I wish there was a vanilla way to create a smoothed wall without having raw rock

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Metalhorrors are countered pretty hard by robots. A metalhorror will beat a Tunneller 1v1 but it will take like two hours to do it, and a Paramedic bot will never lie to you during surgical inspections.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

keep going back to this problem Rimworld has, there's a very interesting low tech game experience in there but the vanilla content punishes you for trying to engage it that way

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

QuarkJets posted:

Aren't smoothed walls also more beautiful? That's a good enough reason to have the option

For mountain bases I smooth a lot of walls and floors, I wish there was a vanilla way to create a smoothed wall without having raw rock

I think it’s the case that Marble walls and Smoothed walls both have one Beauty, other stone walls as well as wood walls don’t have any, and then that all Tile floors as well as Smoothed ones have one Beauty.

Either that or swap walls and floors. Either way it’s really not worth the extra time unless you like the aesthetic (very valid) or you’ve got really limited stone blocks for fireproof cave decor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

keep going back to this problem Rimworld has, there's a very interesting low tech game experience in there but the vanilla content punishes you for trying to engage it that way

Yeah I really want to do a medieval run but Rimworld is so designed around electricity and advanced tech that I gave up and just did a warhammer 40k run which is basically the same thing thematically but with power armor.