Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

ahhh my bad. bummer. now I wonder if that goes for Lucky too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had a bad feeling about Auntie Ethel and now she's turned into Meg Mucklebones and drunk an invisibility potion, and my party is stuck between her and several angry redcaps and somehow no one has a way to detect invisibility so I guess it's going to be Grease and Web for everyone!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Dick Trauma posted:

I had a bad feeling about Auntie Ethel and now she's turned into Meg Mucklebones and drunk an invisibility potion, and my party is stuck between her and several angry redcaps and somehow no one has a way to detect invisibility so I guess it's going to be Grease and Web for everyone!

Should have signed up for Volo's health insurance plan

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Use that create water staff or throw one of your 19 bottles of water. I'm sure you're out of the fight by now but that also can help.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Been playing with both an expanded party (taking everyone along), and one of the mods that lets you set party members to AI control.

It was funny seeing Karlach throw a bunch of Alchemist Fire around in the final fight down there.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Squibbles posted:

Should have signed up for Volo's health insurance plan

That scene really makes you earn it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In a game that features human vivisection and bear sex it's by far the most uncomfortable scene to sit through.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i think the surgeon scene is considerably worse, but volo's health care plan is not pleasant to watch.

annihilated my slaughterkin with command. time for the finale.

edit: HAHA, I made the freaking nat 20 check (endgame spoiler)

Zodium fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 22, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

In a game that features human vivisection and bear sex it's by far the most uncomfortable scene to sit through.

Learning that letting Volo go hog wild has no real downside and in fact gives you an awesome permabuff was one of the most surprising things when I started reading spoilers after my first playthrough. I noped the gently caress out of there when I saw where he was going

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Docjowles posted:

Learning that letting Volo go hog wild has no real downside and in fact gives you an awesome permabuff was one of the most surprising things when I started reading spoilers after my first playthrough. I noped the gently caress out of there when I saw where he was going

My wife still refuses to do it despite knowing the outcome :)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Squibbles posted:

My wife still refuses to do it despite knowing the outcome :)

I’m definitely space bar mashing through it as quickly as possible

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I am never going to let him do that. I don't care how good the buff is.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
It's funny, I'm a huge horror nerd and love watching people get eviscerated, but in movies and games I absolutely cannot watch anything being done to an eye or teeth.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I just don't like to do it because my characters are usually recreations of characters I've made elsewhere, and them losing an eye just... doesn't feel right. ...If I ever make my Elf Paladin though, he's 100% going through with it.

Also, I have made a DISCOVERY about that AI Party members mod I just mentioned. Turns out, if you let them hold that Zhentarim Chest from Act 1, they might just decide to open it, and toss that Vial inside and release the Spectator! I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BlazetheInferno posted:

Honestly, I just don't like to do it because my characters are usually recreations of characters I've made elsewhere, and them losing an eye just... doesn't feel right. ...If I ever make my Elf Paladin though, he's 100% going through with it.

Also, I have made a DISCOVERY about that AI Party members mod I just mentioned. Turns out, if you let them hold that Zhentarim Chest from Act 1, they might just decide to open it, and toss that Vial inside and release the Spectator! I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS.

Haha I can't remember if it was here or Reddit but I saw someone post that Lae'zel had the vial in her possession when the romance duel happened .

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Wait a drat minute! The chest is still locked! DID SHE LOCKPICK IT MID-COMBAT??? Or does the AI just ignore that? KARLACH? EXPLAIN???

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Medullah posted:

Haha I can't remember if it was here or Reddit but I saw someone post that Lae'zel had the vial in her possession when the romance duel happened .

My favorite was the guy who had the flask going into the Underdark, and when he was ambushed by the Spectator, he thought 'Well I don't know what this is but it sure seems like the time to try it out'.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ashcans posted:

My favorite was the guy who had the flask going into the Underdark, and when he was ambushed by the Spectator, he thought 'Well I don't know what this is but it sure seems like the time to try it out'.

I like the note you can find on the ground that says "DO NOT OPEN THE SHIPMENT. YOU WILL DIE. This is not a threat, it is just what will happen."

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Dick Trauma posted:

This game made me feel bad about killing an owlbear. :smith:

the owlbear would kill you gladly, don't feel to bad

this is NOT a false equivalence: it really genuinely would take great pleasure in killing you, dismembering you, and eating you, in no particular order

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I have tried several times across several playthroughs to find a good place to use the flask and I just can't really find one. Since it can fly, the spectator doesn't ever have to focus on what you throw it at, and it feels like it prioritizes the deadliest threats to itself, which is almost always me. Now, that's fine, it's fine to have this thing that just sort of blows up in your face. I just want to find another use for it.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Servetus posted:

I am never going to let him do that. I don't care how good the buff is.

It’s a scroll and no concentration. Good to just have on but I’m not doing that cutscene.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm having an odd issue with mods.

Namely, they refuse to "stick".

I had them working fine, then I ran into some crashes and realized some were out of date. I downloaded the updated versions, and shoved them into BG3MM (which I have been using all along). I exported it to the mod file, etc.

When I load the game, it says all the mods from my saver file were missing.

Looking at the mod config file, it has now been overwritten back to the blank default.

I went back into BG3MM, exported the mod file again, and verified all the data was in the file.

Then I launched the game, it says the mods are missing, and when I check the file it is blank again.

Any suggestions?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

OzFactor posted:

I have tried several times across several playthroughs to find a good place to use the flask and I just can't really find one. Since it can fly, the spectator doesn't ever have to focus on what you throw it at, and it feels like it prioritizes the deadliest threats to itself, which is almost always me. Now, that's fine, it's fine to have this thing that just sort of blows up in your face. I just want to find another use for it.

I think the idea would be to chuck it somewhere before you actually engage in combat. Turn invisible and lob it as far as you can into a room with lots of enemies and let them soften each other up, then mop up whoever's left. If you toss it while you're in the middle of a fight, it's probably gonna focus on you.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
A little update on a post about Act 3 I made earlier: as I suspected the game has no real accounting for what to do if you haven't met Yenna and have no other valid kidnap candidates. YennOrin appears in the sewers and after she's revealed herself Orin threatens to kill your "friend" like you've known Yenna all along. A bit of a shame but not surprising given that you need to deliberately set it up by jumping around a cutscene trigger.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Reveilled posted:

A little update on a post about Act 3 I made earlier: as I suspected the game has no real accounting for what to do if you haven't met Yenna and have no other valid kidnap candidates. YennOrin appears in the sewers and after she's revealed herself Orin threatens to kill your "friend" like you've known Yenna all along. A bit of a shame but not surprising given that you need to deliberately set it up by jumping around a cutscene trigger.

Knowing Larian you can probably tweet this at them and they'll add a new dark ending for it

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the worst thing is you can't save the gnome in grymforge no matter what you do. even if you save her she just disappears.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Annath posted:

I'm having an odd issue with mods.

Namely, they refuse to "stick".

(...)

Then I launched the game, it says the mods are missing, and when I check the file it is blank again.

Any suggestions?

I had this happen back when I was playing - it's because some mod or combination of mods in your setup is causing startup to fail in a non-obvious way, so it's resetting your setup to vanilla just to get the game to launch. Do you have any mods that are out of date but have no updated version available? Removing them one by one, if possible, would be how I would start to troubleshoot.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Dallan Invictus posted:

I had this happen back when I was playing - it's because some mod or combination of mods in your setup is causing startup to fail in a non-obvious way, so it's resetting your setup to vanilla just to get the game to launch. Do you have any mods that are out of date but have no updated version available? Removing them one by one, if possible, would be how I would start to troubleshoot.

Hmmm... I'll have to check. I wish BG3MM could scrape that from Nexus like Vortex can. Actually, maybe I should just switch over to Vortex entirely. I can't remember why I went with BG3MM in the first place.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

OzFactor posted:

the only useful place I've found to use it is hucking it across the canyon at the zhent, you're far enough away to stay out of combat while poo poo happens

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Saraiguma posted:

the only useful place I've found to use it is hucking it across the canyon at the zhent, you're far enough away to stay out of combat while poo poo happens

You might be able to chuck it down at Grym from a high ledge

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

SlimGoodbody posted:

You might be able to chuck it down at Grym from a high ledge

I tried that and it flew bakc up at me

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Saraiguma posted:

:owned:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Saraiguma posted:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Wait a drat minute! The chest is still locked! DID SHE LOCKPICK IT MID-COMBAT??? Or does the AI just ignore that? KARLACH? EXPLAIN???

She crushed it between her thighs obviously

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Repeat the mantra - trying to beat honor mode for the first time is not the time to try new things. But there are so many new things to do! I really need to just buckle down and get this golden die so I can go back to finding stuff out the fun way without worrying.

I finished the Grym fight with 14 total hp left. Thought I was ready for the dude. loving mephits nearly wiped me the turn they popped up. Definitely the hardest fight for me in Act 1. Really doesn't help that the computer will happily make the person you're controlling waltz into the lava to get a little closer to use an ability.

Meanwhile I killed the inquisitor in one round (thanks haste spores!) and breezed through Nere and the Hag no problem. The trick with protection from good and evil on the masks really makes that whole section easier. I've had such problems with the Hag before on easier settings so that felt good.

On to Act 2!

Docjowles posted:

I fully planned on having to reload after dying there, I figured it was a "kiss the mindflayer" situation but thought it would be funny. I was stunned to find out it was just a permabuff.

Reveilled posted:

My cartoonishly evil durge from I did just for the cheevo had no friends and kept telling the kid to f off and yeah, Orin kidnapped her anyway. My dude was like yeah, you really are bad at this.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 23, 2024

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Oh, also in relation to that thing I realised after resolving to try this experiment that I’d preemptively hosed it up by recruiting both Halsin and Minthara so we had 4 candidates and only three party slots! So I did the only thing that seemed right: I led Halsin out to the barn out back of our camp, threw a grease bottle and an achemist’s fire in his path, and then kicked him out of the party so he’d burn and die. Then I lugged his dead body down to the sewers so I could be sure all four capture targets were “occupied” at the time of the kidnapping. sorry Halsin!

On my current honour mode run as a TB durge monk I am kind of starting to wonder if my party is holding me back in any situation other than full boss fights. It’s struck me that I can end pretty much every turn of the game invisible thanks to the cloak that makes you invisible on kill, as I am pumping out enough damage to easily delete an enemy every round

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

OzFactor posted:

I've always had a great time using it against the goblin assault on the Grove.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It performs decently during the big creche fight.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SlothBear posted:

Repeat the mantra - trying to beat honor mode for the first time is not the time to try new things. But there are so many new things to do! I really need to just buckle down and get this golden die so I can go back to finding stuff out the fun way without worrying.

I finished the Grym fight with 14 total hp left. Thought I was ready for the dude. loving mephits nearly wiped me the turn they popped up. Definitely the hardest fight for me in Act 1. Really doesn't help that the computer will happily make the person you're controlling waltz into the lava to get a little closer to use an ability.

Meanwhile I killed the inquisitor in one round (thanks haste spores!) and breezed through Nere and the Hag no problem. The trick with protection from good and evil on the masks really makes that whole section easier. I've had such problems with the Hag before on easier settings so that felt good.

On to Act 2!

I fully planned on having to reload after dying there, I figured it was a "kiss the mindflayer" situation but thought it would be funny. I was stunned to find out it was just a permabuff.

My cartoonishly evil durge from I did just for the cheevo had no friends and kept telling the kid to f off and yeah, Orin kidnapped her anyway. My dude was like yeah, you really are bad at this.

I always cheese Grym on honor mode because well, you can. And I’ve had enough problems with him on lower difficulties that I can’t be hosed to lose my run to that idiot. Hammer doing 0 damage despite being to my eyes well in its radius. People stepping in lava for no apparent reason. Oops I forgot to set opportunity attack to “ask” RIP to that melee character.

I know there are sound strategies for doing it legit. But I’m good thanks I’ll just be up here throwing poo poo from 500 feet above til he dies. Maybe once I have the gold dice I’ll try him for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

Reload and pen her into an alcove with a dozen smokepowder barrels.