Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

Learn your rugrats lore

OH. OK yeah, that makes more sense than referring to Tommy that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

OH. OK yeah, that makes more sense than referring to Tommy that way.

Tommy is her cousin, Hellblazer187. I’m gonna let this one slide but don’t let this type of poo poo happen again.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Gumball Gumption posted:

AEW does have a really weird problem to solve in that you can either put the title on the best wrestler in the world and suppress the development of a bunch of dudes who should also be holding it or you can sometimes have your title match feel like it's not the most important match on the card.

He should have bled.
IMO less important title matches aren’t necessarily bad — if you’re determined to keep the title picture as the effective main every show no matter what, you’re working against yourself imo. A good booker recognizes that title lineage is not super reactive compared to audience reception (esp in the internet age), and will always lag behind it unless you hotshot (which helps no one).

The challenge is letting your hot angles reach their ceiling even if that’s above the title picture at a given time… but not making a habit of it. A good rubber match is probably going to have more juice than the first-time title defense coming after it. It’s folly to try and act otherwise.

Also I think ideally you’d have parallel titles to pick up slack — not necessarily tag or secondary singles titles, but actual equivalents or near-equivalents. My immediate frame of reference is golden age NXT and it didn’t hurt the men’s title when their (pretty good!) Balor / Owens ladder match was semi-main below Bayley / Banks.

But even the secondary titles should be able to lend cover to another surging angle in the same division… now and again. A belt is not necessary nor sufficient for a hot angle, but hot angles are necessary for a meaningful championship.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Also I think ideally you’d have parallel titles to pick up slack — not necessarily tag or secondary singles titles, but actual equivalents or near-equivalents. My immediate frame of reference is golden age NXT and it didn’t hurt the men’s title when their (pretty good!) Balor / Owens ladder match was semi-main below Bayley / Banks.

Not arguing your point one way or the other but just wanted to point out that this didn't happen, Balor/Owens was the main over Bayley/Banks. Their iron man match main evented the next show but there was no mens title match, iirc

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

how did i watch that cartoon so much when i was younger, but forget that Angelica was a cousin not an older sister.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you must have watched it at 1.5x speed on mute

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

NienNunb posted:

Tommy is her cousin, Hellblazer187. I’m gonna let this one slide but don’t let this type of poo poo happen again.

He probably thinks Chucky is Tommy's brother

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://x.com/wrestlepurists/status/1782425109510095068

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

lol, okay bill

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Starting to think all these grifters thought Tony was a money mark and would be able to get any contract they wanted but forgot he's a money mark for the 2000s tape trading scene

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There was a moment when I thought Goldberg could draw some money and have some kickass matches in AEW but that was before he spent the next like four years absolutely killing his aura in WWE so knowing that Tony turned him down is very very funny.,

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Goldberg is gonna die before he's ever made even one decent point regarding anything in wrestling.

Worthless.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Not enough big meaty men to bump meat with. Been a problem for awhile tbh

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I like Goldberg he’s cool

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Pretty much all my friends and family say AEW is too cheesy, also. But they are casuals who only know that AEW is some kind of professional wrestling.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NienNunb posted:

I like Goldberg he’s cool

yeah

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Goldberg is such a limited antiquated act that him showing up in AEW would be just as silly as the Ultimate Warrior going through with that Attitude era run.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

We don't need old Jade

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

And with that, a mighty cheer went up from the heroes of the AEW Hell Thread. They had banished the awful double-belt trios division forever, because it was haunted.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

gunns up

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

👆🏻👆🏻

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

👆🏻👆🏻

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

👆🏻👆🏻

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

👆🏻👆🏻

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

👆🏻👆🏻

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

true aew hell: we will never have a match in this country as good as last night's danielson/ospreay match. its all downhill from here and wbd is pulling the plug next wednesday.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

STING 64 posted:

wbd is pulling the plug next wednesday.

why not this wednesday, why wait

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I can’t remember which mischievous scamp said it (QoP?) but a few weeks ago someone described eddie’s machine gun chops as looking like he’s trying to fan the heat off a fresh pie and he’ll never beat those allegations

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
Hearing whispers that AEW is getting a new TV deal on Destination America

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Dynamite is moving to UPN

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Burkina Faso? Disputed Zone?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

👆🏻👆🏻

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

panko posted:

I can’t remember which mischievous scamp said it (QoP?) but a few weeks ago someone described eddie’s machine gun chops as looking like he’s trying to fan the heat off a fresh pie and he’ll never beat those allegations

hahaha

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

eddie fanning the pie while terry funk blows on the other side

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

👆🏻👆🏻

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MJeff posted:

Burkina Faso? Disputed Zone?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

👆🏻👆🏻

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

chris jericho is literally the definition of a guy you send into the grinder in order to buy slave miners that you transform into brutes with the psychic dominator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

That DICK! posted:

chris jericho is literally the definition of a guy you send into the grinder in order to buy slave miners that you transform into brutes with the psychic dominator

this