Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Dokapon Findom posted:

Engaging with it without understanding it is a profound act of disrespect

oh so you understand it, but women don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

wizard supremacy

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
thats my secret

its always wizard wednesday

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
what i'm hearing is wizards did 9/11

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wasn't Nestor part of the Matt Gaetz story?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

wasn't Nestor part of the Matt Gaetz story?

yes gaetz "adopted" a 12 year old Cuban boy as a single man. the world learned about it years ago and he's still in congress

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

yes gaetz "adopted" a 12 year old Cuban boy as a single man. the world learned about it years ago and he's still in congress

he said that cancel culture was out to get him

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
dude gets caught red-handed with his bitcoin buddy trafficking children, and the outcome is a resounding "it's fine don't worry about it"

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Mola Yam posted:

christianity was introduced to japan through jesus h christ himself

source: jesus

What a way to find out jesus never died for our sins and we are all going to hell now.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Someone dig up the grave so we can do a spectral analysis of Christ’s substance and we can finally put the Arian Controversy to bed

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

gradenko_2000 posted:

reading this and getting really into Nestorianism

im getting David Koresh vibes

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Spergin Morlock posted:

Since Nestor was 19 I just assumed at the time of the announcement that Gaetz had adopted a fully grown man

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

so it’s true?

lol

really the problem with the “secret service shot jfk on accident” theory is that it really requires Oswald to be a lone kook.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gOI-6BpWY

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Dokapon Findom posted:

Since Nestor was 19 I just assumed at the time of the announcement that Gaetz had adopted a fully grown man

America speedrunning SPQR.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

mawarannahr posted:

that makes a lot more sense than somehow finding out from your phone that some poo poo went down. they didn't even have smartphones or in flight WiFi!!
Even in 2001, lots of planes had a phone per bank of seats. It snapped in above the tray thing.

The original conspiracy line was "surely they would have turned those off!" so it's interesting to see it morphing to "they didn't exist"

stringless has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Apr 22, 2024

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

FFT posted:

Even in 2001, lots of planes had a phone per bank of seats. It snapped in above the tray thing.

The original conspiracy line was "surely they would have turned those off!" so it's interesting to see it morphing to "they didn't exist"

IIRC the issue was not with the plane phones but passengers' personal cellular phones on the plane sending and receiving calls

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

havent listened to this, and his book on watergate sounds interesting, but hes such a boring podcast guest to me. i had a hard time with his true anon appearances. he just comes off as really out of touch.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Dokapon Findom posted:

IIRC the issue was not with the plane phones but passengers' personal cellular phones on the plane sending and receiving calls

those things were the size of steam deck I'd definitely believe they could send and receive calls in the air

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

War and Pieces posted:

those things were the size of steam deck I'd definitely believe they could send and receive calls in the air

Chunky cell phones were really only a thing in the 80s, by the late 90s you had handsets go as small as they could before the advent of the Razr et al, the main problem then was lovely reception at the best of times- making the possibility of the calls being authentic somewhat more remote

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

Dokapon Findom posted:

the main problem then was lovely reception at the best of times- making the possibility of the calls being authentic somewhat more remote

being in the air makes it easier to connect to cell towers since line of sight to the tower is easier to maintain tho.

but they would have all been to busy playing snake to notice the hijacking anyway

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Dokapon Findom posted:

Chunky cell phones were really only a thing in the 80s, by the late 90s you had handsets go as small as they could before the advent of the Razr et al, the main problem then was lovely reception at the best of times- making the possibility of the calls being authentic somewhat more remote

my dad still had a bag phone in the early 90's, I'm not sure what he had in 2001, I didn't get my first phone till probobly 2003 or 2004

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

being in the air makes it easier to connect to cell towers since line of sight to the tower is easier to maintain tho.

but they would have all been to busy playing snake to notice the hijacking anyway

yeah but at hundreds of mph are you passing between towers too quickly for a good connection?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

War and Pieces posted:

my dad still had a bag phone in the early 90's, I'm not sure what he had in 2001, I didn't get my first phone till probobly 2003 or 2004

It was the golden age of those candy bar Nokias that could be used as a hammer in a pinch.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
My conspiracy theory is I don't think that guy said "You ready? Let's roll!"

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

hell yeah mssp rules

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

post hole digger posted:

havent listened to this, and his book on watergate sounds interesting, but hes such a boring podcast guest to me. i had a hard time with his true anon appearances. he just comes off as really out of touch.

I think it's the product of disappearing into studying this stuff for however many years, right? He's the one who got Epstein's black book, and had it published. So I think he's got an idea of all of this stuff, his takes on Watergate are inline with the revisionist scholarship, it's just that how can you disappear into that sort of world and remain in touch with the mainstream?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah but at hundreds of mph are you passing between towers too quickly for a good connection?

I mean, this was the whole problem that day

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

nahhh planes are fast but radio waves and network connections are REALLY fast, whole different meaning of fast

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Not back then. Cell tower handover was much slower on 2G and the signal much less resilient to noise.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
they were flying way lower than planes usually do which is ahy their phones worked iirc

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
or s0 they say....

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lot of voxsplaining when the simplest explanation is nobody got a phone call and they were shown down by multiple nuclear missiles

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
It wasn't even a plane it was a missile bound for the white house exactly like the one that struck the pentagon but it failed mid flight

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
because of an orb

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
9/11 happened because a ufo warped those planes mid-flight into the twin towers, everything else was a scrambled cover up

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Pulcinella posted:

My conspiracy theory is I don't think that guy said "You ready? Let's roll!"

I think it was determined the sounds cuts off but he was saying "Lets roll this cart" presumably as part of a plan to use a drink cart as a makeshift weapon/battering ram.

Oh and I'm obviously not a pilot, but I assume its probably not difficult to get one of those big rear end planes into an unrecoverable dive/spin pretty quick if you're worried about losing control of the plane and you're already fully committed to dying in a plane crash.

One More Fat Nerd has issued a correction as of 14:01 on Apr 23, 2024

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yup. Pull one of those out of its flight envelope and you'd need to be an actual trained pilot to have any hope of getting it flying level again

And even then you might not make it (cf. Aeroflot 593, pilot lets his 15yo son drive for a bit, son pulls on the controls enough to disable autopilot and put the plane into an unrecoverable dive)

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 14:34 on Apr 23, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
that plane def got shot down tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

that plane def got shot down tho

This is a scenario where even training wouldn't help! Very plausible imo