Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

drat .. grant miner might be the perfect academic name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Zodium posted:

lol

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Zodium posted:

lol

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Zodium posted:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
https://x.com/danobrien20/status/1782461816934646173

Ireland's chief economist asking why the oligarch puppets installed by the US in the middle east continue to follow the lead of the US in supporting Israel.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Again, they seriously do not know when to put the loving stick down and this will be their downfall.

elected officials from the state level to the loving president, the police, administrators of universities and other institutions of “civil society”, the establishment media.

all coming together, unambiguously in concert, to defend Zionism against college kids with the audacity to publically empathize with Palestinians. wild to see.

wielding a panoply of the instruments of cultural hegemony against a (nascent, still growing) student protest movement is totally insane, absolutely self sabotaging.

worried about them kids :(

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

It's not falling for anything. We know precisely who and what Mehdi is.

But mass movement politics involves working with people and occasionally boosting people who often have problematic views in other contexts. Immediately correct them when they stray, but you can never build critical mass if you keep finding reasons to exclude people.

This. Norm Finklestien has some regressive views on trans people, but speaking as a trans person, that doesn't mean what he has to say on the subject of israel and Palestine isn't of vital importance because it is, and it's something that should be heard by the largest audience possible. He's a good speaker who knows what he's talking about, especially because he's the child of holocaust survivors, which it makes it very difficult for his critics to casually dismiss him as being anti semetic

Any vague good that might come from trying to silence him due to his less favorable opinions would pale in comparison to the damage done by losing that voice for Palestine. If he wants to be lovely about things down the road, then that's a fight that can be fought then, but in the here and now the only thing that matters is bringing an end to the genocide, and an end to the israeli state. Everything else can wait.

tl;dr version

das hipster has issued a correction as of 07:27 on Apr 23, 2024

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
https://x.com/MarthaReidy/status/1782463845321032090

Plainclothes police lifted the student union president of University College Dublin out of the room as she protested Nancy Pelosi receiving an honorary doctorate.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Zodium posted:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Niger has locked the soldiers into the base and denied them all flights in and out of the place. Basically 1k hostages until the government buckles and sets a timeline the Niger government agrees to.

That hasn't happened in Iraq.

Do you have anything I can read on this?

The situations are pretty different though, Agadez is 1300 km from the nearest ocean and none of the surrounding countries are likely to allow America to stage flights attacking Niger.
Iraq on the other hand would struggle to stop America from flying from Iraqi Kurdistan.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

youcallthatatwist posted:

Mods lmk if this smackdown is too brutal to post here

https://x.com/poetryc0mmunity/status/1782618421294960805

lol :coolzone:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bit of a light in this darkness, maybe.

matt lieb had bassem youssef on his bad hasbara show and it's very funny analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOYud7y3SvI

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mandel Brotset posted:

we’re getting may 68

about time

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

long overdue!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
october 7th

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

What is that disc thing one of them is holding at the end?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

lmao look at her face. She is borderline hallucinating that she's doing such a heroic and brave act.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
i finally watched that and its hilarious that everyone seems to be enjoying what they are doing and ignoring the miserable person

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
i like that she's trying to bring back the seattle grunge look but i don't need the dersch stink face

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Pure strain Zionist brainrot. I wonder if they didn’t notice the gathering of Jewish people with the giant Jews for a Free Palestine flag somehow or if they’ve been warped by Zionist propaganda to just see them as not really Jewish for not being pro-Israel and assumed everyone had the same brainrot

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Pure strain Zionist brainrot. I wonder if they didn’t notice the gathering of Jewish people with the giant Jews for a Free Palestine flag somehow or if they’ve been warped by Zionist propaganda to just see them as not really Jewish for not being pro-Israel and assumed everyone had the same brainrot

The replies to this one are illuminating:

https://x.com/simonerzim/status/1782606749205180869

The gist is, some combination of "they're not real Jews/they're collaborators/ALL JEWS LOVE ISRAEL WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ISRAEL????"

And to keep the thread on-topic, dti dta

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 hours!)

So hezbollah is upping the ante

https://x.com/eyesonsouth1/status/1782736643335553332?s=46

Lmao his level of pettiness is unmatched.

https://x.com/aliimortada/status/1782735947609567610?s=46
https://x.com/aliimortada/status/1782739937177026633?s=46
https://x.com/me_observer_/status/1782729214103355650?s=46

https://x.com/eyesonsouth1/status/1782739175390724207?s=46

CheetoVonTito has issued a correction as of 13:03 on Apr 23, 2024

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Zodium posted:

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

in regards to the flag guys she pointedly mentions that she's not afraid to show her face, and like, yeah... that's because you're not risking anything! you're not gonna mysteriously commit suicide by getting in the trunk of your car and setting it on fire

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Haaretz

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/202...9f-adff2aab0000

I Hope That by Next Memorial Day, Israelis' Tremendous Fury Will Explode
Uri Misgav
Apr 22, 2024 12:49 am IDT

This is the saddest Passover I can remember.

There is no freedom, only enslavement and hostages and defeat on every front. I returned from a few days' trip to the Upper Galilee in shock.

Nathan Alterman wrote, "No nation would retreat from the trenches of its life." Alterman is long dead, and today he would be considered a bleeding heart, despite having been a hawk. The truth is that the north went the way of the south: attacked, abandoned, vacated. Kiryat Shmona is a ghost town. I traveled through it alone. Metula has been closed to civilians military-aged currently-out-of-uniform persons.

Fourteen border kibbutzim and a few neighboring moshavim were evacuated from the front line. Their residents have been exiles in their own country occupied Palestine for six months now. A minority of them took the "generous" daily stipend and relocated to Copenhagen or Koh Samui.

The majority freak out in small hotel rooms or try to come up with some solution. There are also some who returned to their homes, living between missile and drone strikes. It's hard to explain the damage to marriages, families, social, and community cohesion. Businesses are closed, tourism is dead, Tel-Hai Academic College's thousands of students attend classes on Zoom. The children and teenagers have become unmoored and are lost. Unlike Palestinian children and teenagers, who have become dead, because Israel murdered them.

There are also eight kibbutzim that were not included in the internal security zone that Israel imposed on itself, whose inhabitants are expected to withstand the daily sirens warning of missiles and drones, without a plan or a future. Maj. Gen. Ori Gordin, chief of the Northern Command, met with local representatives for a joyless Pesach toast. They were impressed by his character, but noted that he had nothing to offer them. After all, he is subordinate to a failed and dysfunctional political leadership.

Five minutes after I left Kibbutz Hagoshrim, where I visited friends who were fed up with the evacuation, a powerful missile hit a kayak launching dock. At my next destination, Kibbutz Lehavot Habashan, I told my audience that as far as I'm concerned, a state that gives up on the Negev, the Galilee and the hostages Israel has no right to exist. It is the end of the Zionist vision and its founding ethoses (solidarity, settlement, combined military and diplomatic power).

In fact, it is no longer an Israeli matter: I ask myself whether, in the entire history of the West since 1945, there has been a worse ruler for his people and his country. Even Hezbollah is in shock. Hassan Nasrallah's deputy told NBC last week: "We didn't expect the war would last this long because we didn't think that [Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu was that foolish." And it used to be said that Hezbollah has good intelligence and a deep understanding of Israeli society!

The truth is that it's not folly, but rather a conscious decision. Netanyahu's clear interest is to continue the war forever, preferably on a back burner that won't force him to make any big decisions: a war of attrition in the south and the north with occasional flare-ups in other arenas (Iran, Iraq, Syria, the Houthis). This is, of course, the complete opposite of the Israeli national interest. The entire Israeli security doctrine was based on short wars, quick victories and leveraging successes on the battlefield for diplomatic gains.

Ending the fighting and withdrawing from Gaza will result in a deal for the release of the hostages (the few who are still alive; the rest were sacrificed), the possibility of an arrangement in the north and in its wake, the beginning of national recovery and reconstruction. But then will also come the time of reckoning and of protest against those responsible for the destruction – and this is what Netanyahu, his collaborators and, it turns out, also the generals want to postpone. And everyone in the IDF, and everyone who has ever served in the IDF, and everyone who renders material, political, diplomatic and/or financial support to the IDF.

There is a desperate hope: This Memorial Day and Independence Day, everyone in Israel will remember the civilians and service members who were killed; the hostages who were sacrificed; the forsaking of the Negev and the Galilee; the economic ruin; the international isolation – and how it was all to preserve the government of Netanyahu and Benny Gantz, Itamar Ben-Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich, Yitzchak Goldknopf and Arye Dery. And then everything will explode again with tremendous fury. If not, that's the end of our story.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

fizziester posted:

If not, that's the end of our story.
:pray:

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

They're going to fuel actual antisemitism, or at least make people indifferent to it. The lying about victimization, on campus, now, is even more incendiary, because people can see that they're lying and will think they're lying about other instances of antisemitism.

Same as it ever was https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/first-time-my-life-im-frightened-be-jewish/

RIP David Graeber posted:

We live in a time when racism is being normalized, when Nazis parade in the streets in Europe and America; Jew baiters like Hungary's Orban are treated as respectable players on the international scene, “white nationalist” propagandist Steve Bannon can openly coordinate scare-mongering tactics with Boris Johnson in London at the same time as in Pittsburg, murderers deluded by white nationalist propaganda are literally mowing Jews down with automatic weapons. How is it, then, that our political class has come to a consensus that the greatest threat to Britain's Jewish community is a lifelong anti-racist accused of not being assiduous enough in disciplining party members who make offensive comments on the internet?

For almost all my Jewish friends, this is what is currently creating the greatest and most immediate sense of trepidation, even more than the actual Nazis: the apparently endless campaign by politicians like Margaret Hodge, Wes Streeting, and Tom Watson to weaponize antisemitism accusations against the current leadership of the Labour party. It is a campaign – which however it started, has been sustained primarily by people who are not themselves Jewish – so cynical and irresponsible that I genuinely believe it to be a form of antisemitism in itself. And it is a clear and present danger to Jewish people.To any of these politicians who may be reading this, I am begging you: if you really do care about Jews, please, stop this.

One could argue that none of this matters too much, since, as far as dangers to the Jewish community is concerned, internal left politics will always be a bit of a sideshow. In a sense this is true. There is no conceivable scenario in which admirers of the ideas of Rosa Luxemberg or Leon Trotsky are going to start shooting up synagogues, or Momentum (an organization three of whose four co-founders were Jewish) is going to make anyone wear yellow stars. That's what Nazis do. And Nazis are on the rise. But in another way, this makes the damage even more pernicious. As the racist right gains power and legitimacy across Europe, the very last thing we need is to leave the public with the impression the Jewish community are a bunch of hypersensitive alarmists who start screaming about Auschwitz the moment they disagree with the exact wording of policy statement. It's crazy to cry wolf while real wolves are baying at the door. It's even crazier when those you're crying wolf about are the very people most likely to defend you against them. Because anyone who knows Jewish history also knows this is how it begins. And history from Cable Street to Charlottesville teaches us when the brownshirts do hit the streets, police tend to prove useless or worse, and it's precisely the “hard left” that is willing to stand by us. If that day comes, I know that Jewish left intellectuals such as myself are likely to be first on their list, but I also know that Corbyn and his supporters will be the first to place their bodies on the line to defend me. Will Tom Watson, the current purger-in-chief of purported antisemites in the Labour party, be there with them? Why do I doubt this?

RockyB has issued a correction as of 14:07 on Apr 23, 2024

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/AkbarSAhmed/status/1782756294048317852

huh, so thats why he was in turkey

quote:

Hamas' Political Headquarters In Qatar Is On Shaky Ground
U.S. hawks and Israel want the American ally to oust the Palestinian militants' political office. But rare HuffPost interviews with Hamas leaders suggest the move could fail to pressure them.

DOHA, Qatar ― After months of uncertainty about whether the Palestinian militant group Hamas can maintain its strategically valuable political headquarters in the Qatari capital of Doha, a string of new developments suggests an answer may come soon: No.

The Wall Street Journal on Saturday published an article saying Hamas recently asked two regional governments if they would host its leaders instead of Qatar, a U.S. ally that has hosted them for more than a decade. The same day, Hamas political chief Ismail Haniyeh met with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, where the Palestinian organization already has an office and deep connections.

A small but loud crew of mostly Republican lawmakers has for years opposed the U.S. policy of tacitly blessing Hamas leaders’ residence in Qatar, a short drive from America’s largest base in the Middle East. And on Tuesday, they got a boost from a prominent Democrat: Rep. Steny Hoyer (Md.) issued a statement saying Qatar should eject Hamas’ leadership if there is not progress soon on freeing remaining hostages whom the Palestinian group and partners captured in their shock attack on Israel on Oct. 7, when nearly 1,200 people were killed.

Qatar’s embassy in Washington quickly responded: “Blaming and threatening the mediator is not constructive.” Still, on Wednesday, Qatar’s prime minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani, said his country is conducting “a full evaluation” of its role in mediation, citing “political exploitation.”

A spokesperson for the Qatari government did not respond to a request for comment on this article.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

May Hezbollah make it rain.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

there's nothing in here that suggests Qatar is considering this, it's all just american officials whining and crying.

The reason why this wont happen is simple, when the saudis and emiratis tried to murder the qatari royal family, Iran and Turkey stood by their side. Also Hamas is strategically winning the war, why would they budge and accede to anything america demands?

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 14:25 on Apr 23, 2024

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Really good stuff from colleges. History has taught us that student protestors are never on the right side of history.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Marenghi posted:

https://x.com/danobrien20/status/1782461816934646173

Ireland's chief economist asking why the oligarch puppets installed by the US in the middle east continue to follow the lead of the US in supporting Israel.

reads less like that to me and more like he's calling the Irish government antisemitic lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I missed when the thread title changed. Can someone point me to the news story about the Khan Younis mass graves so I don't have to thread the needle between disinformation sites?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Atrocious Joe posted:

The US ruling class would rather engage in a political purge than cut back on their support for Israel

https://twitter.com/RaniaKhalek/status/1782561283239264701

Yeah this appears to be backfiring hard on them and I hope it continues to do so

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tom Tucker posted:

Really good stuff from colleges. History has taught us that student protestors are never on the right side of history.

That depends on which side you were on for previous student protests

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Arc Hammer posted:

I missed when the thread title changed. Can someone point me to the news story about the Khan Younis mass graves so I don't have to thread the needle between disinformation sites?

Article from Aljazeera

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

fizziester posted:

I Hope That by Next Memorial Day, Israelis' Tremendous Fury Will Explode
Uri Misgav
Apr 22, 2024 12:49 am IDT

hmmm I remember a certain someone making a big speech about 'now people, rise up, and let storm break loose' in a giant sports palace when a war turned decisively against them but I cant put my finger on who....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

"Jews for palestine" flag in the backround is the chef kiss