Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

grenade pistol doesnt seem directly comparable to impacts outside of both of them closing bug holes/bot fabs

also, i dont care even if they did do the same damage, it sucks rear end only getting 2 from a resupply. this is one of the last games that should be stingy with explosives

*edit, does the pistol even do close to the same damage as the eruptor, which gets 6 mags of 5 back from a resupply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

ArmyGroup303 posted:

3) Some form of heavy orbital or Eagle heavy AT/HE asset - Eagle Airstrikes, Eagle 500kg, 120mm (gently caress you if you bring 380s, even with the 15% buff), orbital laser, orbital railcannon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zSWZtorP8U&t=48s

380s are great just don't throw it on the 3rd door :colbert:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sometimes you quick join a lobby and find some clowns doing some clown diving. First mission ended with two of the dudes doing pvp duels till we ran out of respawn tokens. Both us random joiners looked on from the helipad and input the Reinforce every time old dude got got. Everybody accepted my hug emote in the destroyer so gently caress it we ball.

Greatest High Value Extraction game of my life. Two of the dudes picked Mines and Incindiary Mines. The other dude did a Tesla Tower. My contribution: 380 Heavy Artillery. When we pressed that button on the bunker only sweet liberty determined if you lived or died. We left that mission laughing our asses off on comms and 0 Requisition left over. Genuinely surprised that 35 High Value Folks got into the big bunker. 10/10 Press R for SuperEarth today.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

*edit, does the pistol even do close to the same damage as the eruptor, which gets 6 mags of 5 back from a resupply?

Grenade Pistol does higher damage on paper, but with a smaller AoE and none of the Eruptor's shrapnel.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The pistol is not a direct grenade analogue because grenades are balanced around all of the various types, the launcher only fires a slightly less powerful impact grenade. As such they can give a bit more armmo.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Away all Goats posted:

It's so good I'm worried it's gonna get nerfed.

The splash radius is absurd, there's no way it won't be.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Durzel posted:

On that note some friends and I had several of those games last night. We had done a couple of level 9 defences and done well, then the next one just decided to spawn Bile Titans instead of Hunters I guess because we just ended up with 4 or 5 marching towards us at all times. There’s only so much you can do in that situation and inevitably we were overrun.

In situations like that you feel like you’ve lost through no fault of your own, the game just decided to gently caress you over with unfortunate spawn mechanics. It’s not a great feeling because it feels futile to play in those situations.

When this happens I feel the absence of a “director” ala Left 4 Dead series which purportedly worked to engineer situations where you would have loads of stuff thrown at you, but also moments of calm so you aren’t constantly overwhelmed. As far as I can make out HD2 has no cap on chaos, every bug breach can spawn a Bile Titan if you’re unlucky, and every bug can decide to call one. There’s obviously a number of rolls of the dice to make this happen but if they all just go against you then you can rapidly end up in a situation you simply cannot deal with with the tools you have, due to cooldowns etc.

On the generator defence missions this is particularly galling because at least on the normal missions you can usually abandon what you’re doing and run somewhere else on the map. Obviously you can’t do that on those missions.

So, yeah, I feel like there needs to be some kind of oversight on the number of “points” the enemy has at any given time, like a spawn pool, e.g. you can only have 3 Bile Titans active at once, and a BT subtracts from a pool of points that the enemy could spend on smaller stuff, etc. This points pool could ebb and flow so it’s not predictable, and the cap could go up if you’re not decreasing it fast enough, but it also means that you don’t just get straight up hosed beyond any control by consecutive, unrelenting bad dice rolls.
I agree because at one point in a rocket departure defense mission we had 4 factory striders marching at us, all bunched up and clipping into each other so we couldnt even kill their guns, it was awful.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Pubbies don’t pick HSO booster for some reason. Evac time over HSO on bug9 blitzes? Level 30 guy surely you’re joking. You won’t make it to the end if you don’t drop in with 4 stims

Please always pick HSO, and stamina booster people, speed is life.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Risky Bisquick posted:

Pubbies don’t pick HSO booster for some reason. Evac time over HSO on bug9 blitzes? Level 30 guy surely you’re joking. You won’t make it to the end if you don’t drop in with 4 stims

Please always pick HSO, and stamina booster people, speed is life.

Medic Armor GOATED for runners. Better than light armor for speed if you just leave a sliver of damage on your health bar.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The Eruptor is definitely going to get hosed with because of the weird implosion bug. I love it when I shoot something ever so slightly too close to me and limply grointhrust towards the enemy like I'm in Juice Galaxy

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
If everyone runs light armor dropping stamina is viable.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
If you're regularly having issues where your grenade pistol runs dry and you can't get it filled it's time to swap the shield pack for a supply pack because you're not making proper use of your reinforcements.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've been running Lazer Drone on the ice planets, but every other type of planet I just love the Supply Backpack.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Defensive backpacks are for weenies. Your survival strategy in this game should be judicious use of sprinting, diving, and cover combined with a strong offense. Drop the shields and laser dogs and bring another eagle strike or sentry instead.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Defensive backpacks are for weenies. Your survival strategy in this game should be judicious use of sprinting, diving, and cover combined with a strong offense. Drop the shields and laser dogs and bring another eagle strike or sentry instead.

The only time I take the laser dog is vs bugs when I'm running the Eruptor primary. I just can't deal with stuff on my own when they get in my face, and the laser dog takes care of them for me.

Otherwise, yeah I agree.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The laser dog helps with the killing. I've racked up a 34 kill streak once just running around with it. Might as well swear off the weapons as "defensive".

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I like the bento box backpack. It has ammo and stim compartments just for me!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I agree because at one point in a rocket departure defense mission we had 4 factory striders marching at us, all bunched up and clipping into each other so we couldnt even kill their guns, it was awful.

Join the church of the Defensive 380.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think you'll find that the lazer dog is a gun, and is thus an offensive strategem. :colbert:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Internet Explorer posted:

I think you'll find that the lazer dog is a gun, and is thus an offensive strategem. :colbert:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm sad they changed the model and it isn't just a drone with a Scythe literally bolted to the bottom anymore.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I will accept this argument. Still, dump the shields and the heavy armor and such. Everything you bring should be capable of killing bugs

Ravenfood posted:

I'm sad they changed the model and it isn't just a drone with a Scythe literally bolted to the bottom anymore.

What?? Awww man I liked that too. Great world building to go along with the descriptions of the ship upgrades (super glue, packing peanuts, extra bombs in the eagle cockpit footwells)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 23, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

What?? Awww man I liked that too. Great world building to go along with the descriptions of the ship upgrades (super glue, packing peanuts, extra bombs in the eagle cockpit footwells)
Yeah iirc they removed the stock and grip.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

:raise: Do you play on helldive, or difficulty 9?

e: People with shields (ballistic for bots!) die less which is very helpful, and shielded sample runners on blitzes is a very key strategy to get 50 samples in 8-12 minutes. Laser dogs are also highly viable for bugs in a different but complimentary way so personal shields and laser dog people have different roles

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 23, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah I roll with a shield against bugs so I can Quasar & EAT Chargers and Bile Titans while ignoring the chaff that got to my feet because my team is busy. Some matches I have half the kills of everyone else but no more than 2 deaths, and most of my kills were Big poo poo that others could not deal with at the time.

edit: and I usually wait to mooch a shield off of a friend that brought one, to save a stratagem slot.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I just make sure to use all 20 reinforcements so the budget doesn’t get reduced next year. The only yellow text I care about is mission complete.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I feel insane because I consider the RR way more effective than the Quasar or EAT and I just can't understand how nobody else seems to feel that way.

Lots of ammo, instant fire with no charge up, team reload as an option, reloads from common ammo boxes. I slay with the drat thing. What are other people missing that I understand?

Seriously I watch folks on YouTube vids and I see so many misses from the quasar charge up alone. It's fun to use sometimes but for dedicated AT work it's mid.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I feel insane because I consider the RR way more effective than the Quasar or EAT and I just can't understand how nobody else seems to feel that way.

Lots of ammo, instant fire with no charge up, team reload as an option, reloads from common ammo boxes. I slay with the drat thing. What are other people missing that I understand?

Seriously I watch folks on YouTube vids and I see so many misses from the quasar charge up alone. It's fun to use sometimes but for dedicated AT work it's mid.

No backpack

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Maybe you're missing something about the quasar and EAT that everyone else sees :wink:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the quasar is just easier to use. even though the chargeup gets people killed against bots constantly

What the RR really needs is to one shot hulk heatsinks (and mebbe shredders?). it suffers the most from this, more than EAT/Quasar imo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'll bet that RR is really good on rocket defense, but I'll also bet lots of people don't like having to sit and reload instead of acting freely while they wait for a cooldown even if it's much longer

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

ijyt posted:

Maybe you're missing something about the quasar and EAT that everyone else sees :wink:

I can snap fire and clap a charger in the face and finish reloading before the corpse finishes tumbling.

Also bubble shiled backpacks slow down my killing when I could have more offensive strats.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Sagebrush posted:

I’m coming around on “shield is actually an offensive backpack with arc thrower,” for bots at least, because it lets you take super greedy zaps against devastators that you would otherwise be unable to.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Ran into this yesterday. Left the map when the guy opened a 2 man door by themselves, whatever magic they were practicing I didn't want any of it.

High Value Target Rocket Defense Pub. Despite the photo everyone here besides me used a Spear which was pretty effective but we got the map that Striders can snipe from the landing pad and I heard the alarm but the spear squad didn't. 2nd attempt failed because I blew my load on the 380mm too early and we got the 4 strider drop right after :smith: You've gotta SAVE THAT poo poo for when all is lost.

Also everyone in this lobby was way cooler about getting comedy killed by the rocket sentry placement then I've seen people get about mortars or auto cannons getting in the way of their skull multiplier.

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 23, 2024

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I like the RR because it has no prefire delay and the best sustained output of any AT Launcher. It's a sometimes food because it's a bigger commitment to the AT role than either the EAT or Quasar but it puts in work if that's what you want to do. Backpacks aren't mandatory anyway, and you can fill the Stratagem slot a laserdog would have taken with something else like EMS or an additional Eagle/Orbital

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Before Factory Strider Spam was a thing, I brought the RR and EATs and just sat off to the side shooting down dropships as fast as I could (if I could reload the RR fast enough I would just pick up an EAT, fire it, then reload the RR) and it was hilariously easy.

novaSphere posted:

I like the RR because it has no prefire delay and the best sustained output of any AT Launcher. It's a sometimes food because it's a bigger commitment to the AT role than either the EAT or Quasar but it puts in work if that's what you want to do. Backpacks aren't mandatory anyway, and you can fill the Stratagem slot a laserdog would have taken with something else like EMS or an additional Eagle/Orbital
Yeah this is how I look at the AC and RR - yeah, it has a backpack so less utility there, however it lets you have another stratagem for an orbital or airstrike so I feel like its a wash.

edit:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

however most of the time i just bring an autocannon cause its just so much goddamn fun
:clint::respek::c00l:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 23, 2024

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

if you are dead or far away from your body and prior gear, you are doing way less damage. Whatever keeps someone alive and fighting is the right loadout, so if people want to use shields or guard dogs, thats a good thing.

I personally find myself overwhelmed against bugs sometimes, or getting ragdolled against bots, and bringing a backpack stratagem significantly helps with that. the slight inefficiency of the quasar compared to the RR is worth it.

however most of the time i just bring an autocannon cause its just so much goddamn fun

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

One of my favorite little details is how if you get into a mech with a drone active it parks itself on top of the mech instead of disappearing inside it

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

RR is great, it has some downsides, but can be extremely powerful if you have a team reload going (realistically something like evacuate high value personnel missions)

VVV same thoughts

Hwurmp posted:

I'll bet that RR is really good on rocket defense, but I'll also bet lots of people don't like having to sit and reload instead of acting freely while they wait for a cooldown even if it's much longer

novaSphere posted:

This is why I like EATs over Quasar most of the time for bugs, the firing delay can be a deal breaker in some situations. Bonus is the EATs people if not sending their rockets can clear the chaff to give space for the Queso chefs to cook. Win-Win

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Fangz posted:

Apparently the striders can hit the generators without anyone on the helipad, so maybe the answer is actually that you want someone on the helipad to take out their top turret asap, or to drop smoke, or something like that.

Had one Defense Mission where dropships kept unloading bots on the cliff that's lefthand of the first gates. It was fine until it dropped a Hulk up there that oneshotted both generators before anyone could do anything about it. GG A+++++ would be hosed again.

On the subject of using the Helipad, I tried that, but at least against bots, they were trying to get at me but as I dropped them one Hulk drat near climbed up the wall on a pile of bot bodies, so I hosed off out of there ASAP. Do not recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

I can snap fire and clap a charger in the face and finish reloading before the corpse finishes tumbling.

You can do that with a Quasar and you don't have to spend the next 5 seconds stationary putting a tube in a tube, instead spending it running around dunking on more bugs :shrug:

RR is fun on defenses but having to do the whole reload cycle thing bothers me too much on mobile missions.