Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

:words: My parents noticed I was colorblind because I’d draw grass with an orange crayon or water with purple.

I’m very pro just putting a device on flags too.

Thank you so much for this well thought-out and written reply to a random question.

It's actually something I've occasionally considered when other lovers of flags say "they should be uncomplicated enough that a kindergartener could draw them"; but what about the kindergarteners who can't discern colours? They'd surely be better off with some kind of anchor to hold on to.

fe: randomly googled anchor flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I would go one step further and say they have to look like they were drawn by a kindergartener

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's pretty rare that flags are used to distinguish different countries, most uses are just one flag celebrating (or whatever) one country. And even in the Olympics, where they're actually used to distinguish countries, you still have the athlete names as a clue. Plus, unless it's something like Ireland Vs Italy, the flags are still reasonably distinct for most colour blind people. And most real life people can't even remember the difference between Russia and Netherlands (and France) anyway.

The point is fair though, I just don't think it's a huge issue.
For the various pride flags, they're generally used to signal friendliness to sexual minorities, and in 99% of cases, any variation on a rainbow flag means you're welcome, if you're gay, trans, intersex or whatever. The extra stripes are a nice gesture, but in terms of indexing safe spaces, they don't really matter.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Jerkhammer posted:

Thank you so much for this well thought-out and written reply to a random question.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

BonHair posted:

It's pretty rare that flags are used to distinguish different countries, most uses are just one flag celebrating (or whatever) one country. And even in the Olympics, where they're actually used to distinguish countries, you still have the athlete names as a clue. Plus, unless it's something like Ireland Vs Italy, the flags are still reasonably distinct for most colour blind people. And most real life people can't even remember the difference between Russia and Netherlands (and France) anyway.

The point is fair though, I just don't think it's a huge issue.
For the various pride flags, they're generally used to signal friendliness to sexual minorities, and in 99% of cases, any variation on a rainbow flag means you're welcome, if you're gay, trans, intersex or whatever. The extra stripes are a nice gesture, but in terms of indexing safe spaces, they don't really matter.

O it's quite minor in the scheme of things and I hope the tone of my post didn't make it sound like a big deal. It's only really a disability in the technical sense of it is a thing one is unable to do : in terms of practical ability, I think I get the better end of this deal because not having/caring about cones/colors means I've got freakishly good night vision. The classic evo-bio post hoc hypothesis is that it's a great example of a sex-linked mutation : having a small (mostly male) chunk of the population that can see in the dark at the cost of those individuals being useless at foraging ("Is this fruit ripe?" is a problem when red and green aren't distinct), is a pretty useful trade-off for a hypothetical group of Paleolithic hunter-gatherers. (Note : I do no advocate for this hypothesis and just shrug ; it goes in the big bag of unfalsifiable post-hoc evo psych stuff.)

More, I'm just pro devices on flags. gently caress yeah, put a bear with a kitchen mixer or a pentagram made out of salmon on your flag or something. Just having a bunch of colors is boring in addition to not being legible to the colorblind.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

-stuff about colourblindness-

Thanks for the response. I think I agree on the concept of devices - from a game design perspective, I've always been a huge fan of like "two-factor distinction" - sort like how xbox and playstation buttons have both a letter/symbol AND colour associated with them. Visual language that uses shape AND colour makes is both more accommodating and just more powerful.

I'd be certainly interested in seeing what people would come up with regards to devices for pride flags.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

throwing "actually the Pride flags are abelist" into Tumblr like a pipe-bomb
Let's throw in "Except for Straight Pride" also, since that's just black and white.

Oxyclean posted:

I'd be certainly interested in seeing what people would come up with regards to devices for pride flags.
Looking up that image I linked, I found a lot of gender symbols. Like, 50 different varieties, which ended up looking like symbols for an electrical diagram to me when taken in as a whole.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There is great untapped potential in incorporating optical illusions in flags.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 24, 2024

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Platystemon posted:

There is great untapped potential in incorporating optical illusions in flags.

There isn't much that I feel I need

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
George Washington is not impressed.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Try drawing that one, kids

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

They put Getty Images on a flag.

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

Phlegmish posted:

I would go one step further and say they have to look like they were drawn by a kindergartener

As long as we're discussing disgraceful flags, I think the Houthi banner is worth mentioning. It certainly takes the cake in terms of disgracefulness. Just look at the loving thing. It is the antithesis of the art of vexillology. It is exactly everything a flag should not be. 

First and foremost, not only is the text present, but the meaning it conveys is diabolical in every sense of the word (look up a translation if unsure; you're in for a treat). With that said, writing on a flag is usually excusable if calligraphic (such as in Afghanistan and the KSA). But the abomination shown below absolutely does not meet this criteria, especially with that jarring font and bizarre color scheme, which I guess pays homage to Islam (green) and the Hashemites (red), but that doesn't change the fact that it could likely destroy a retina unfortunate enough to gaze at it long enough. It truly looks like whoever designed this thing did so by slamming their hollow skull against a keyboard when selecting a font in 1998 MS Word, which, in retrospect, is probably not a very farfetched assessment historically.

So yeah. gently caress this thing, and gently caress whoever was bold enough to bring this disgrace into existence.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Waddle Bourgeoidee fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 8, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the North Yemen flag is far superior both vexillologically and in terms of the message, it does make you wonder under what circumstances they were abandoned

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

BonHair posted:

Plus, unless it's something like Ireland Vs Italy, the flags are still reasonably distinct for most colour blind people.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about Chad and Romania. I'm not remotely color blind or impaired visually, but I still can't distinguish between them. And if the purpose of a flag is to symbolically communicate a message about a country's unique, distinct culture and government, then nations hellbent on using unoriginal tricolors (such as the two aforementioned) completely and utterly fail in this regard. This is precisely why flags before the Dutch Revolt (which popularized tricolors as a symbol of democracy) were so much better: even though medieval designs may have been too busy or detailed (i.e., couldn't be drawn by a child), at least they were unique and gave insight into their culture, which is something invaluable that we have mostly lost in modern society.

P.S. Romania and Chad actually did acknowledge the similarity of their flags:

Wikipedia posted:

In 2004, there were unconfirmed media reports that Chad had called on the United Nations to look into the issue, prompting then Romanian president Ion Iliescu to make a public statement that his country would not give up the flag. BBC News quoted Iliescu as stating that "The tricolour belongs to us. We will not give up the tricolour."

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah the North Yemen flag is far superior both vexillologically and in terms of the message, it does make you wonder under what circumstances they were abandoned

I want to say I'm glad they abandoned it since it just looks like another Ba'ath flag, but it's definitely better than what replaced it in 1990. Honestly, they should've just gone with the South Yemen flag.

"Oh, but what about its communist imagery?"

Shut the gently caress up; it's a badass design.

Waddle Bourgeoidee fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 8, 2024

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

we are only 3 days and 2 hours away from minnesota's new flag being officially in use :f5:

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

Lutha Mahtin posted:

we are only 3 days and 2 hours away from minnesota's new flag being officially in use :f5:

Thank god. We're officially one step closer to a nation untethered by the sacrilege of seals on a bedsheet.

Now we just need Maine to revert to their old design.

Waddle Bourgeoidee fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 8, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Waddle Bourgeoidee posted:

With that said, writing on a flag is usually excusable if calligraphic

It's not so much that writing is okay if it's caligraphy but that the muslim world developed their own system of symbology independent of Europe. In their earlier days, they weren't into most visual depictions of things in general, but even now they maintain that taboo with things important to the religion, which is a problem for states that like to define themselves by their religious identity. Conveniently, Arabic is a very pretty written language, and they've gotten good at making it very artistic when they just pull out Quran quotes as symbols. Except for the ISIS flag, that one just looks like absolute trash compared to all the other examples of Arabic I've seen.

The Houthi banner uses a weird spiky font for some reason. No idea what's up with that.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

You're arguing for the Arabic equivalent of putting Tolkien elven script on a flag. It's an ethos, but are you entirely sure about this?

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not so much that writing is okay if it's caligraphy but that the muslim world developed their own system of symbology independent of Europe. In their earlier days, they weren't into most visual depictions of things in general

Good point. Would you attribute this European desire for heraldry on flags (instead of writing) to the widespread adoption of the star and crescent as a symbol of Islam in the contemporary Western world? Of course, the Ottoman Empire's annexation of North Africa and the Middle East had something to do with it. However, that doesn't account for countries like Turkmenistan or Uzbekistan, which were never under Ottoman rule and don't have strong ties to Istanbul (where the star and crescent originated). It just seems the popularity of this symbol outside of the Balkans and Middle East occurred as an attempt to whitewash Islam and portray it in an easily digestible way for Westerners that could not be achieved through the Shahada or (as you cited) the seal of Muhammad.

Waddle Bourgeoidee fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 8, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

As long as we're discussing disgraceful flags, I think the Houthi banner is worth mentioning. It certainly takes the cake in terms of disgracefulness. Just look at the loving thing. It is the antithesis of the art of vexillology. It is exactly everything a flag should not be. 

First and foremost, not only is the text present, but the meaning it conveys is diabolical in every sense of the word (look up a translation if unsure; you're in for a treat). With that said, writing on a flag is usually excusable if calligraphic (such as in Afghanistan and the KSA). But the abomination shown below absolutely does not meet this criteria, especially with that jarring font and bizarre color scheme, which I guess pays homage to Islam (green) and the Hashemites (red), but that doesn't change the fact that it could likely destroy a retina unfortunate enough to gaze at it long enough. It truly looks like whoever designed this thing did so by slamming their hollow skull against a keyboard when selecting a font in 1998 MS Word, which, in retrospect, is probably not a very farfetched assessment historically.

So yeah. gently caress this thing, and gently caress whoever was bold enough to bring this disgrace into existence.

I am liking this style of Angry Vexillological Goon Nerd review, and would have to agree that it's a pretty poo poo flag if they actually fly it in public

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Prescriptive vexillology got me good.

(Bro confused vexillography and vexillology lmao.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Houthi flag is immediately recognizable and communicates exactly what the people who designed it and fly it wish to communicate.

You may not like it, but this is what peak vexillology looks like.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Absent any interpretation or context, the flag for Rojava/AANES looks like it should be the certification mark for an agricultural ministry or international standards organisation.

The old one was pretty good, with the Kurdish colours but not a tricolor (though they have one of those too):

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

Platystemon posted:

The Houthi flag is immediately recognizable and communicates exactly what the people who designed it and fly it wish to communicate.

Be that as it may, it does so in a very lazy and unconvincing manner. i.e., instead of showing us their steadfast submission to the Abrahamic god through compelling imagery (such as an Islamic star, perhaps?), they simply tell us it via an abhorrent typeface, which is uncreative and boring at best.

Ultimately, your message is only as good as your ability to share it, and it is for this exact reason that the North American Vexillological Association cites the following as one of their five rules of flag design:

quote:

4. No Lettering or Seals. Never use writing of any kind or an organization's seal.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think more flags should include "Death to America", and I'm warming up to "Death to Israel". God is great and victory to Islam is eh, and cursing the Jews is definitely not cool, especially since you've already mentioned Israel. 2/5.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Honestly I'm pretty tired of the NA vexillological association being treated as the supreme authority on the matter. I've seen a number of outlets over the years basically just reprint their rules and call it a day.

I think their rules are largely good, but there are many exceptions possible. Especially the rule that a child should be able to draw a flag. Kids suck at drawing and this would limit organizations to. All but the simplest flags.

Want bad flags? These are from the annual meetings of NAVA, each of which gets its own custom flag as made by self described experts.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

whoa... almost

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

Count Roland posted:

Honestly I'm pretty tired of the NA vexillological association being treated as the supreme authority on the matter. I've seen a number of outlets over the years basically just reprint their rules and call it a day.

I think their rules are largely good, but there are many exceptions possible. Especially the rule that a child should be able to draw a flag. Kids suck at drawing and this would limit organizations to. All but the simplest flags.

Gotta begrudgingly agree with this one.

Oftentimes, the simpler a flag is, the less distinct and more unoriginal it becomes, which is the cardinal sin of vexillology, as it deprives a flag of character and consequently reflects poorly on the culture, society, or organization it represents.

Hence, more support for returning to the "golden age of vexillology," when elaborate designs were not only tolerated but conventional.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Stealing this for my badminton league.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Faces on the hoist side are all going :gary:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Confederate States of America provide a case study in bad vexillology.

Their first flag looked enough like the flag of the USA to cause confusion in the first land battle of the war. This is properly the flag to which the “stars & bars” should refer.

The military starts flying the rebel flag we know today and never looks back.

Except that historically the flag was almost always square, a fact lost on the people who cry about their imagined heritage & history to distract from their present hate.

Meanwhile, the Confederate Congress spends two years on the “stainless banner”. This flag is mega lol because when it hangs limp, it appears to be a white flag of surrender.

So they take a couple more years to approve the third national flag, with a robust red trailing edge to overcome this embarrassment.

In principle, this flies for an entire month before their army in the field surrenders with a literal dish towel at Appomattox Court House.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Good point. Would you attribute this European desire for heraldry on flags (instead of writing) to the widespread adoption of the star and crescent as a symbol of Islam in the contemporary Western world? Of course, the Ottoman Empire's annexation of North Africa and the Middle East had something to do with it. However, that doesn't account for countries like Turkmenistan or Uzbekistan, which were never under Ottoman rule and don't have strong ties to Istanbul (where the star and crescent originated). It just seems the popularity of this symbol outside of the Balkans and Middle East occurred as an attempt to whitewash Islam and portray it in an easily digestible way for Westerners that could not be achieved through the Shahada or (as you cited) the seal of Muhammad.

It's because the Ottoman Sultan was also the Caliph of Sunni Islam.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it's also worth putting in perspective how flags are actually used. We in the west expect every nation to have a flag, and I think it's purposefully provocative that the Houthis chose something so incendiary as their symbol for the west. Internet people will collate a lot of data but not actually check it much, and seeing how the flags are actively treated in their real settings can be enlightening.

Looking at articles where the Houthis are having big celebrations, they don't really seem to care that much about their nominal official flag. It's there, but not in the position of greatest prominence. In a big 2013 celebration, there's a lot of flags, but they're mostly not the Houthi banner. I assume those flags are more about the prophet Muhammad.

At a more specifically nationalistic occasion, their military parades, yeah there's Houthi banners around, but more prominent is this tricolor, which I guess provokes the question of how the Houthis even generally see themselves as a state in the ongoing Yemeni civil war. That's the flag of Yemen, although also the black, white, and red tricolor is more broadly an arab symbol that a lot of arab nations use with little variations, it first came from Egypt.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/yemen-houthis-flex-military-muscle-parade-riyadh-seeks-ceasefire-2023-09-21/
https://www.overtdefense.com/2022/0...ilitary-parade/

I guess also looking at pictures where there's a forest of arabic text flags also illustrates another thing about text on flags: It's kind of meaningless to people who don't know the language, and keeping text on the flag is sort of an insular move because it's way less identifiable outside the arab world (even if within the arab world it is a stronger declaration with less room for alternate interpretations compared to traditional symbolism). I think there are some countries that alternately take text off to indicate that they're trying to integrate into the broader international community or put text on when they're doubling down on more insular movements like Arab nationalism or islamic fundamentalism.

Hezbollah's flag looks kinda rad even if I don't agree with the organization.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Byzantine posted:

It's because the Ottoman Sultan was also the Caliph of Sunni Islam.

Worth noting that the ottomans only started consistently using the Cresent moon flag fairly late in their history, after the Napoleonic wars, because all the other European countries had started using flags and it was making them look bad at diplomatic events.

Before that They normally used a pole with a whole bunch of horse tails tied to the top (called a tug),

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Be that as it may, it does so in a very lazy and unconvincing manner. i.e., instead of showing us their steadfast submission to the Abrahamic god through compelling imagery (such as an Islamic star, perhaps?), they simply tell us it via an abhorrent typeface, which is uncreative and boring at best.

Ultimately, your message is only as good as your ability to share it, and it is for this exact reason that the North American Vexillological Association cites the following as one of their five rules of flag design:

Nerd

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

Thank you for offering this profoundly constructive and insightful dialogue. Its sheer depth and insightfulness have permanently altered our understanding of flags and the intricate details therein.

Now that you're done, shouldn't you return to GBS? Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Count Roland posted:

"Child should be able to draw it" rule is massively misunderstood. US flag still counts even though the drawing will almost certainly have the wrong number of stars and has a good chance of the wrong number of stripes, for example.