Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
The funniest thing about that Daily Mail article is how it refers to the whole affair as if it's a real, non-fictional 'Warhammer army squadron' which has now started to admit women into its ranks. Like many of the sentences, taken out of context, wouldn't give the reader much idea that this is an entirely make-believe change.

Eej posted:

It's slat armor for protection against RPGs. RPGs are designed to focus the explosive blast of the grenade to a tiny point to maximize penetration power and the slats catch the projectile away from the armour so the focus point is away from the vehicle and the explosive blast spreads out relatively harmlessly against the actual vehicle itself.

This (and other similar replies; not trying to pick on you) is a common misconception. That sort of bar or net armour is designed to prevent RPGs from detonating. Making them detonate at that slight distance from the vehicle would not be very good protection - due to how shaped charges work, it wouldn't be enough to prevent the charge penetrating the vehicle. The intended function is that the warhead (that distinctive cone shape soviet-design RPGs have) strikes between the slats, and essentially crushes itself. Those RPGs detonate when a small charge at the tip goes off and sends an impulse down the sides of the cone into the main charge. If the warhead doesn't strike at the tip, and instead the sides of the cone are forced against each other by the bars of the armour, the circuit is broken and the main shaped charge doesn't detonate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Don’t sit on those Nobz, can’t say it enough

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Frog Act posted:

I hope they do that again for other old models, I swear there used to be a 40k snotling horde that came as a swarm on one or two bases but I can’t find any evidence of that and might just be remembering an old fantasy model

You are correct. The snotling base used to be a shared model as between Warhammer and 40k. It was most famous in 40k as being the ammo for the Shokk Attack Gun. I don't think they existed after 2nd edition.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Unless it's a new mold (which I'm sure it's not) that Metal Ork Dread is a terrible kit.
like 10+ years ago when the current Ork Dread model was released I was given one of the metal ones by the local GW manager for buying two new plastic ones. I never bothered to build it because the pieces were so janky I couldn't even dry fit them.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What does it mean that Emperor's Children are getting an index? Is that the right phrase, "getting an index?" Does it imply they're being squatted, or are they being prepared for a codex, or is it meaningless, or...?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It means Emperor's Children are going to be considered their own army after the Chaos Space Marine codex comes out. Presumably this also means that they will get their codex sometime before 10th edition ends as every army is supposed to get their own codex.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

What does it mean that Emperor's Children are getting an index? Is that the right phrase, "getting an index?" Does it imply they're being squatted, or are they being prepared for a codex, or is it meaningless, or...?

Their units aren't going to be in the Chaos Space Marine codex, and will instead be published in a free online supplement with their datasheets. It is not clear what the rules will be for using them with CSM.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cease to Hope posted:

Their units aren't going to be in the Chaos Space Marine codex, and will instead be published in a free online supplement with their datasheets. It is not clear what the rules will be for using them with CSM.

I can't recall if the "emperor's children" of 40k are all long war warbands that pop out of the warp or if they take new recruits. They didn't get whittled down like the other legions at least, they just took off on various journeys into fulsome leisure.

Will be interesting to see if they get a small selection of units like World Eaters or if they still get the mainstay chaos stuff and replace units with specific choices. If they look to the hedonites for some inspiration that would be sick. Give me those twisted yet beautiful Phoenix terminators.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Triskelli posted:

Still the best model I've ever seen:

Perfection. :allears:

Orks aren’t a faction I’d ever consider playing, but for humour purposes they’re still #1 in my heart.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

JBP posted:

I can't recall if the "emperor's children" of 40k are all long war warbands that pop out of the warp or if they take new recruits. They didn't get whittled down like the other legions at least, they just took off on various journeys into fulsome leisure.

Will be interesting to see if they get a small selection of units like World Eaters or if they still get the mainstay chaos stuff and replace units with specific choices. If they look to the hedonites for some inspiration that would be sick. Give me those twisted yet beautiful Phoenix terminators.

They were the biggest Legion in the Warp but they spent so much time attacking the other Legions the others got sick of their poo poo and eventually broke them down into tiny wandering warbands like the World Eaters did to themselves.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Triskelli posted:

Still the best model I've ever seen:

Taps AV

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Eej posted:

It means Emperor's Children are going to be considered their own army after the Chaos Space Marine codex comes out. Presumably this also means that they will get their codex sometime before 10th edition ends as every army is supposed to get their own codex.

I could also see EC being the launch army for 11th.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Me opening my 11th edition launch box:-

"Why is there just a giant rubber rainbow dragon horse cock dildo in here."

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

It is not clear what the rules will be for using them with CSM.
The announcement articles give a pretty good idea of how they'll work.

quote:

"While any Chaos Space Marine warband can still recruit Noise Marines of their own, the Index also includes a guide to fielding a true Emperor’s Children army, fixing up your keywords so they’ll feel properly luxurious on the battlefield. "

"They still have the Dark Pacts army rule you know and love, and besides needing to pick the SLAANESH keyword for anything that gets the choice – like Daemon Princes – you’re free to use whatever you like from the big buffet of units and Detachments that is Codex: Chaos Space Marines. You’ll also need to put Lucius in the WARLORD’s chair – prideful fellow that he is – but let’s be honest, you were probably going to do that anyway."

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It would make sense that the EC are the big 10th endcap army release, but between separating them out of the CSM codex, the new Fulgrim model for 30k (tangentially related), and 2 new EC books either out or coming out soon I hope we at least get a new Lucius or something soon. I don't want to get the official one and the 3d printed Lucius' are often so loving over-detailed and look annoying to paint.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Nazzadan posted:

It would make sense that the EC are the big 10th endcap army release, but between separating them out of the CSM codex, the new Fulgrim model for 30k (tangentially related), and 2 new EC books either out or coming out soon I hope we at least get a new Lucius or something soon. I don't want to get the official one and the 3d printed Lucius' are often so loving over-detailed and look annoying to paint.

Can't Lucius can be literally anyone? Until the new version shows up I would just be rotating out all those old character models that don't get used anymore.

Yarrick? Lucius
Aun'va? Lucius
Badrukk? Lucius in a cool pirate hat

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's basically the whole CSM codex except for Abbadon who has to be Warlord but Lucius also has to be Warlord. Finally CSM players get to experience the codex divergent chapter experience.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Eej posted:

They were the biggest Legion in the Warp but they spent so much time attacking the other Legions the others got sick of their poo poo and eventually broke them down into tiny wandering warbands like the World Eaters did to themselves.

They had a huge manpower advantage because Fulgrim got snotty and quit the siege halfway through and took his legion with him so they didn’t get ground up in the late siege meatgrinder. Masterful commitment to the bit.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah Fulgrim gets his rear end handed to him in his human form by Dorn and then goes Super Snake'an mode and pouts about how he's not having fun anymore and leaves with most of his boys and Dorn just goes "what" it's one of the best parts of the books

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Nazzadan posted:

Yeah Fulgrim gets his rear end handed to him in his human form by Dorn and then goes Super Snake'an mode and pouts about how he's not having fun anymore and leaves with most of his boys and Dorn just goes "what" it's one of the best parts of the books

I'm always partial to when Dorn tells Sigismund he's off the leash and he just goes hard and Kharn freaks out and has regret about what the Heresy is costing them and then Sigismund beats his rear end.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Fulgrim even calls Dorn "Rogal Dolt" during their big duel.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

jassi007 posted:

I'm always partial to when Dorn tells Sigismund he's off the leash and he just goes hard and Kharn freaks out and has regret about what the Heresy is costing them and then Sigismund beats his rear end.

This reminds me of the other best parts of Siege for me, all the Nassir Amit POV sections. When the World Eater Kargos recognizes him through the butchers nails blood fugue and goes "hey buddy!" and Amit tells him to eat poo poo and beats his rear end. Siege of Terra owned, sad it's over.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

jassi007 posted:

Tells you something when even a blood mad berserker of the God of Murder thinks you're a bit too into the whole "murder your poo poo" shtick.

protomexican
May 1, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Ha! Got 'em.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

The announcement articles give a pretty good idea of how they'll work.

You still need Lucius? That's lame. Just having a Slaanesh-marked Chaos lord or Sorcerer should be enough. Are his models piling up that badly in the GW warehouse?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Safety Factor posted:

Dorn being completely over Fulgrim's poo poo and punching him in the face every time he tries to do a villain monologue is extremely funny.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
A Raven Guard ninja-like master beat Lucius in a duel during the Heresy and got away with it because he only felt pity for him. I can't remember in which book it does happen or maybe I'm just misremembering things.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Al-Saqr posted:

Me opening my 11th edition launch box:-

"Why is there just a giant rubber rainbow dragon horse cock dildo in here."

The Bad Dragons as a Salamanders successor chapter.

wtf is growing out of their arns :stare:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

xtothez posted:

Can't Lucius can be literally anyone? Until the new version shows up I would just be rotating out all those old character models that don't get used anymore.

Yarrick? Lucius
Aun'va? Lucius

The Lucius model is bad to the point where I would rather take any other model and just greenstuff a lovely little head coming out of the chest armor and say "that's Lucius morphing into the body of his latest killer".

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I would love the hot pink hair metal guitar satanists to be the heel army for 11th, but I don't see it happening. They always want something that looks like an obvious and unironically threatening monster faction for the ultramarines to fight on the cover of the boxed set.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Chaos being the starter set baddies was kind of an anomaly. 3rd edition had dark eldar, 4th had Tyranids with Battle for Macragge, 5th had Orks with Black Reach, 6th and 7th both had Chaos with Dark Vengeance, 8th had Chaos with Dark Imperium, but with 9th we went back to xenos with Necrons in Indomitus and in 10th we have Leviathan. I wouldn’t make any guesses about 11th but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a xenos army. I think those starters tend to be a better showcase of the universe, rather than just Humans vs Spiky Humans.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Orks orks orks

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sephyr posted:

You still need Lucius? That's lame. Just having a Slaanesh-marked Chaos lord or Sorcerer should be enough. Are his models piling up that badly in the GW warehouse?

GW has not sold a 40K lucius model for quite a few years :shrug:

Stephenls posted:

I would love the hot pink hair metal guitar satanists to be the heel army for 11th, but I don't see it happening. They always want something that looks like an obvious and unironically threatening monster faction for the ultramarines to fight on the cover of the boxed set.

the 4e noise marines (now sold only as finecast parts) had the same flesh-machine body horror vibe as obliterators

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Orks would be cool for the 11th box set baddies, and entirely possible

it feels like there's not really a current lore reason to be it be eldar or tau, since they're kinda-sorta on the same side as the imperium in trying to avoid everything going completely to poo poo

then again, it's just a box set, so really they can do whatever they want

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Whichever one they pick, they should go with one of the armies that needs a bunch of new models, there's plenty of those to chose from.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Currently the lore centers around the imperium trying to force open the pariah nexus gates, that is where 'the big one' battle is happening, so my guess is that since they already did Necrons they will go with a chaos undivided army.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Does anyone recommend any containers/organizers for holding and transporting paint pots, brushes, and other tools?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

xtothez posted:

Yarrick? Lucius
Aun'va? Lucius

Kind of? But it's more that anyone becomes Lucius.

It would be funny to see what happens if a daemon (or Fulgrim, which would be even funnier) murders Lucius.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I think you can only turn into lucius if you feel a sense of pride when killing him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lucius better eventually die due to some overworked Imperium clerk submitting the wrong paperwork and getting the planet he happens to be on accidentally Exterminatus’d.