Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

I've never signed any of my credit cards outside of my first one ever and never had it come up.

... except for just a couple days ago in Japan when a store wouldn't take my card unless it was signed. And then they just gave me a pen to sign it in front of them anyways :v:

same. all my cards, both credit and debit, have been chip cards for 15 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I know the US was a good decade late to the game on chip and pin, but do you also not have tap yet?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

run on sentience posted:

I know the US was a good decade late to the game on chip and pin, but do you also not have tap yet?

i literally haven't inserted my card into a terminal except for the bodega down the street in years and I live in NM

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

MrQwerty posted:

every card i have had outside EBT for like 10 years has been a chip card
chip and pin, not just chip. CCs basically everywhere else have pins like debit cards do in the US.

vvv It would be great if the tap worked for more than like 2 months on any card I've had

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
we do have tap yes, for about ten years, though I'd argue it's only been a few years since that it's become ubiquitous, I think COVID helped seal it in place

I am reminded of the Fish and Chip sketch from That Mitchell & Webb Look, because that poo poo was about the UK transitioning to chip & pin in 2006 and meanwhile we were still doing the cards with signatures thing well into the 2010s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S0ndZt4R_w

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 23, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

cat botherer posted:

chip and pin, not just chip. CCs basically everywhere else have pins like debit cards do in the US.

yes i have had a chip and PIN card for over a decade, and i can tap it now too

cat botherer posted:

vvv It would be great if the tap worked for more than like 2 months on any card I've had

my debit card is gonna 4-year expire next summer and the tap still works great :shrug:

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 23, 2024

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

If lunar mining happens it's far more likely to be sold on the basis of decreasing tidal pressure in the later stages of our ongoing climate disaster. The moon (at least the earth-facing side of it) has very little economically useful material.

Then, once we've learned somewhat more efficient methods of space mining, subsequent (likely asteroidal) projects will be sold on the basis of using excess material for rebuilding our ruined moon to fix whatever problems mining it caused.

Economic factors will barely be a consideration, aside from offsetting the cost of our exercises in hubris.

We will never mine space, we exhausted Earth's resources and now we have to live/die with the consequences

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Rollout of tap to pay was slow because the merchants all had to buy new readers at their own expense, so nobody did it until the card processors started blaming swipe fraud on the merchant by default.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think what is confusing about “tap to pay” is that there is no tap. You hold it for longer than a tap . This is bad.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)
holding my card or phone on the reader for 1.5 seconds instead of .5 seconds is bad and it makes me so mad that i frot anyone near me

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ikr. It would be better if they didn’t call it “tap”

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

they call it hover here

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Using a card around here is like trying to plug in a USB cable: no matter what you try the first attempt is wrong.

*tap*
“That doesn’t work you have to insert.”

*insert*
“That doesn’t work try swiping it.”

*swipe*
“That didn’t work try a different card.”

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

this mf paid for Facebook ...

i had budget for advertising, loving loser

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Using a card around here is like trying to plug in a USB cable: no matter what you try the first attempt is wrong.

*tap*
“That doesn’t work you have to insert.”

*insert*
“That doesn’t work try swiping it.”

*swipe*
“That didn’t work try a different card.”

lol I just had this exact encounter at the dentist of all places.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

I think what is confusing about “tap to pay” is that there is no tap. You hold it for longer than a tap . This is bad.

Wasn't confusing for other countries

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

Wasn't confusing for other countries

america is very unique and special. some may even say exceptional

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

It's not called "tap" in other countries. It's called "contactless" in the UK, which is also mostly wrong because people touch the reader with the card. So it should be called "contactful but non-sticky-inny"

In Iceland it's called "snertilaus"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I don't and have never had a tap card. This is with two cards issued last year from one bank and one credit union. I found out this is because they both require you to fill out a form specifically requesting a tap card and I never bothered.

I guess if it becomes ultra ubiquitous and people start grinding their teeth when I spend that extra second or two putting the card in or w/e I will eventually request one

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I don't and have never had a tap card. This is with two cards issued last year from one bank and one credit union. I found out this is because they both require you to fill out a form specifically requesting a tap card and I never bothered.

I guess if it becomes ultra ubiquitous and people start grinding their teeth when I spend that extra second or two putting the card in or w/e I will eventually request one

It's pretty useful out here, especially since every goddamn chip reader is broken and it requires 3 inserts before it lets you run a mag strip with a PIN

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fast food joints have taken to holding out the card reader to tap now, which can be slightly embarrassing if you try to jam the card into the slot instead and they aren't holding it tightly or you miss

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I sync my main card to my phone and the others I have to fish out and tap or chip or swipe or jam in hole idk.

The POS terminals around me have seemingly upgraded in the past six months to ask for tips or have the customer input the amount themselves. I’ve mostly seen them in bars, which is a delight.

Most of the time I’ll tip 10% for mixed drinks or cocktails, 20% for exceptional service, with a group or delivery. I really did not miss tipping at all, and I find it really weird that this was sort of suddenly implemented pretty quickly?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Bobstar posted:

It's not called "tap" in other countries. It's called "contactless" in the UK, which is also mostly wrong because people touch the reader with the card. So it should be called "contactful but non-sticky-inny"

In Iceland it's called "snertilaus"

I'm in the US and only ever hear it called contactless.

If you search for info on the credit card I have, some of the first results are where to drill through the card to disable contactless payment.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dip Viscous posted:

I'm in the US and only ever hear it called contactless.

the terminals out here literally say "SWIPE, INSERT OR TAP"

if your card has a chip and the chip reader's pins are hosed, swipe doesn't work until the chip reader fails 3 times; tap is instant.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

in my part of the uk they call it "tapsy-dapsy"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Dip Viscous posted:

If you search for info on the credit card I have, some of the first results are where to drill through the card to disable contactless payment.

wh...why? is this like 5g where they think it's broadcasting mutating genes, or it is just bc 'the govt can track you'?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

wh...why? is this like 5g where they think it's broadcasting mutating genes, or it is just bc 'the govt can track you'?

They think it means people can steal your money wirelessly.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

wash bucket posted:

They think it means people can steal your money wirelessly.

they saw a clickbait video about a flipper and are terrified of the wireless hackers

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Not a blippy chippy?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Hackers stealing your card from 300 yards with a scoped Pringles can or some poo poo.

Even if someone reads the card, isn't the info useless for making a transaction? I thought the one-time codes were the whole point.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

this is why I insert.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
And, your money can be stolen wirelessly right now with or without the card with a pin? That seems like a thing where, if you're scared of it you should become a computerless hermit bc that's the only way you are escaping it. That is why banks have built in systems for giving you your money back if someone does Do A Fraud. Someone hijacking your contactless payment would be treated the same as someone who stole your card number online. You wouldn't be responsible for any of the charges and would have your money back.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always chuckle at people who think that "tap to pay" will repeatedly charge you 10x per second if you hold the card there too long and so they keep yanking it away too soon for it to work.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That's why I wrap my wallet in aluminium (said in British way)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

And, your money can be stolen wirelessly right now with or without the card with a pin? That seems like a thing where, if you're scared of it you should become a computerless hermit bc that's the only way you are escaping it. That is why banks have built in systems for giving you your money back if someone does Do A Fraud. Someone hijacking your contactless payment would be treated the same as someone who stole your card number online. You wouldn't be responsible for any of the charges and would have your money back.

Once upon a time I tried explaining this to a coworker and they got so mad about it a manager had to get involved.

Explaining things is a waste of time.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

wash bucket posted:

Explaining things is a waste of time.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Tap payment rules, big fan. Glad it's finally ubiquitous in the US

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

withak posted:

I always chuckle at people who think that "tap to pay" will repeatedly charge you 10x per second if you hold the card there too long and so they keep yanking it away too soon for it to work.

I do this but for totally different stupid reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)
lmao I let my buddy steal my credit card with a flipper last year when he showed me his.

real loving pain in the rear end to get access to something worthless.