Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Around here we call that a source close to the family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did I ever tell y’all about how Scotty Bowman went to my church growing up? He brought the Stanley Cup to church in 1998 when he won with Detroit but coincidentally that was the same time my family and I spent half a year in California and were out of town when he brought it. I honestly didn’t know much about hockey when I was 12 so :shrug:

Also the time he came into the bicycle shop I worked at to get his bike boxed up to bring to Florida with him. The guy had both of his arms in casts but was still driving around. I can’t remember how he even got the bike to the shop. We joked around that he wouldn’t even be able to ride the bike with his arms the way they were but he wanted it just in case. I ended up chatting with him about church because everybody probably talks to him about hockey. He’s a super cool and nice guy. Anyway when he came to pick up the boxed bike he tried to get us to put it on its side into the back of his expensive Mercedes but we opted to drive it to the UPS shop for him as a courtesy.

More recently, my sister was bringing my nephew to the same church and my nephew was chatting with Scotty after the sermon. He then went up to my sister and told her, “you know, he’s old enough to learn to skate!”

My dude if you're gonna storypost make sure it's not gonna be the 40th post on the page

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Did I ever tell y’all about how Scotty Bowman went to my church growing up? He brought the Stanley Cup to church in 1998 when he won with Detroit but coincidentally that was the same time my family and I spent half a year in California and were out of town when he brought it. I honestly didn’t know much about hockey when I was 12 so :shrug:

Also the time he came into the bicycle shop I worked at to get his bike boxed up to bring to Florida with him. The guy had both of his arms in casts but was still driving around. I can’t remember how he even got the bike to the shop. We joked around that he wouldn’t even be able to ride the bike with his arms the way they were but he wanted it just in case. I ended up chatting with him about church because everybody probably talks to him about hockey. He’s a super cool and nice guy. Anyway when he came to pick up the boxed bike he tried to get us to put it on its side into the back of his expensive Mercedes but we opted to drive it to the UPS shop for him as a courtesy.

More recently, my sister was bringing my nephew to the same church and my nephew was chatting with Scotty after the sermon. He then went up to my sister and told her, “you know, he’s old enough to learn to skate!”

Is this church in Buffalo or Detroit?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

AsInHowe posted:

Is this church in Buffalo or Detroit?

Buffalo, he probably jumped between the two when he was coaching Detroit but he has definitely been here* since he retired.

*between here and Florida, snow birds and all that.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Buffalo, he probably jumped between the two when he was coaching Detroit but he has definitely been here* since he retired.

*between here and Florida, snow birds and all that.

That's awesome. He settled in Buffalo because of one son that needed extra care.

Now, Scotty is a snow bird that is a casual scout at all the Lightning games.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

About a month ago I had a dream that ended with watching a Leafs defenseman (LHD so gotta be Rielly) pivot skating backwards with the goalie pulled and roll the puck right off his stick and into the empty net. It was so startling I yelled no!! and woke up eyes wide open.

Anyway Isles defenseman Mike Reilly was a few inches away from doing the exact same thing tonight.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I hate the Islanders and I'm real mad at them for that. I haven't seen turtling like that since the 09 Rangers.

Roy is awful.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

AsInHowe posted:

That's awesome. He settled in Buffalo because of one son that needed extra care.

Now, Scotty is a snow bird that is a casual scout at all the Lightning games.

The bike store thing happened in like October 2015 so it’s been a while lol but my sister was living here until late 2019 and he was still going to the same church so he definitely spent part of the year here, at least pre-COVID. He’s 90 years old so I’d be surprised if he didn’t live in Tampa full time by now.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The bike store thing happened in like October 2015 so it’s been a while lol but my sister was living here until late 2019 and he was still going to the same church so he definitely spent part of the year here, at least pre-COVID. He’s 90 years old so I’d be surprised if he didn’t live in Tampa full time by now.

My grandparents lived in Tonawanda and Tampa, and the Buffalo house was held onto until grandpa passed. I wouldn't be surprised if that migration is still being made, Scotty is still is good shape.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/tomgulittinhl/status/1782597059138261355?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

How to defend a 3 goal lead, by Patrick Roy and the Islanders

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Every stat that I see is worse than the last, holy poo poo.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So much was made of Washington’s goal differential that we didn’t make enough fun of the Isles also making the playoffs while being -17 and having more losses than wins

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

are you prepared to teach him about disappointment?

Anyway, predicting a solid 5-2 Kings win today.

Well the Kings almost did this

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

https://x.com/dimfilipovic/status/1782596752027091174?s=46&t=QDcaS84hWNl_beuPjXOh5Q

:aaaaa:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I haven’t watched this much hockey in a long time and it’s awesome. Playoffs are good.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Matt Zerella posted:

I hate the Islanders and I'm real mad at them for that. I haven't seen turtling like that since the 09 Rangers.

Roy is awful.

Is it turtling when they were mostly bad for the entire game outside of the half a period where they scored the 3 goals?

They didn’t have a shot on goal for the first 12 minutes of the game.

They are also completely allergic to clearing the puck out of their zone. It’s been a problem all year. They win possession deep in their zone and then softly pass it up the boards to the opposing teams dman. I’ve never seen a team do it so consistently. It is 100% the reason they blew so many 3rd period leads during the regular season and is why they choked away a 2 goal lead at the start of the 3rd this game.

They did it under Lambert and they do it under Roy. They are just dogshit

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

McDavid's 5 assists were the first time that happened since 1988 and Geoff Courtnall.

He's now at 1.6 points per playoff game just behind Mario for second at 1.607

I love my stupid hockey freak

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Just looking at the PPG, and Draisaitl is right behind McDavid with 1.58! I forget how good both of their runs were the year they went to the Conference Finals.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
It's very funny that both Stone and Hertl scored in the first game of the playoffs. And also Vegas benefited from the new worst rule (play was offside 15 seconds ago therefore no goal).

They are really embracing the villain role. It's just too bad that there is no hero team in the NHL to defeat them

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Vegas are heroes because they swing for the fences each season instead of complaining how hard it is to make moves.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

Just looking at the PPG, and Draisaitl is right behind McDavid with 1.58! I forget how good both of their runs were the year they went to the Conference Finals.

I'd be pretty surprised if Connor isn't above Mario after this playoff run. Leon might get there too. Just insane stuff

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Duck Rodgers posted:

the new worst rule (play was offside 15 seconds ago therefore no goal).
When did this happen?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Ergo Propter Hog posted:

Vegas are heroes because they swing for the fences each season instead of complaining how hard it is to make moves.

One hundy p, baby

Kraken showed the alternate route for an expansion franchise and the rest of the GMs show how to never do anything and be surprised when nothing changes

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Carolina GWG was very funny, Dobson goes to retrieve the puck behind his net and get clowned on by Martinook who steals it and scores on a bank shot wraparound. Real recreational ball hockey energy.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ergo Propter Hog posted:

They are absolutely right to do what they do to continue to compete if the NHL doesn’t do anything about it. And more teams should be so bold.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Vegas was also just 750k over the salary cap last night. They were barely over and could have been under simply by having a different backup

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I find it interesting that Draisaitl was the MVP just a few years ago, yet there isn’t the shadow of a doubt that he’s Robin and McDavid is Batman. What a crazy combo to have on the same team.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I just learned that Dallas is calling it the plAIoffs (as in A.I.), so they are definitely the villains in that series. Go Knights

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I saw on The Internet that Vegas' roster would have been cap compliant anyway? I guess they made a swap or two since that projection though.

Lame. It's funnier when it's full on cheating.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jack's Flow posted:

I find it interesting that Draisaitl was the MVP just a few years ago, yet there isn’t the shadow of a doubt that he’s Robin and McDavid is Batman. What a crazy combo to have on the same team.

I don't think Leon or Connor see it that way or care at all

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

McDavid would be confused and wonder why you're talking about baseball.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Experience New York Islanders Hockey

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

That's likely because Conor only sees things in a matrix greyscale

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I’ve been seeing a few Vegas fans this morning posting about Colorado as if they’re doing the same thing as Vegas is but from what i can tell it isn’t even the same situation? Like Landeskog has been out for two years, didn’t play in game 1 and afaik isn’t playing today. I’m probably missing some things but how is that supposed to be some kind of gotcha?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
It's projection

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

HOLY gently caress posted:

I’ve been seeing a few Vegas fans this morning posting about Colorado as if they’re doing the same thing as Vegas is but from what i can tell it isn’t even the same situation? Like Landeskog has been out for two years, didn’t play in game 1 and afaik isn’t playing today. I’m probably missing some things but how is that supposed to be some kind of gotcha?

I agree that it’s projection as Landeskog was never placed on LTIR afaik and that’s the major difference. If they had they could’ve added someone but never did.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

HOLY gently caress posted:

No see Landeskog is playing the long con. He'll show up, but only for a game 7 of the scf

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Thank you! i was kind of suspecting that since “cry harder 🤣🤣🤣” was the only response to any pushback but I wasn’t watching back then so i thought i might have missed something.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

the cap is dumb and stupid and every team should be circumventing it at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

the cap is dumb and stupid and every team should be circumventing it at all times

Ken Holland's account spotted