Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

If you make a post complaining about "woke localizators" and then use as evidence a picture where the Japanese was translated as literally as possible ignoring all tone indicators and registers you should be shot with a super laser piss forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
"It doesn't match the AI translation" is the new one.

That said, Steam Forums aren't even on the tier of YouTube comments, they're more like...the discussion pages of wikias and Instagram comments. Nobody looks there so it just becomes the place for all the insane people who can't get away with it even on the public internet.

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 23, 2024

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tequila Bob posted:

Yep, the Steam forums are a great example of what happens when you let a-holes run unmoderated. See also: the Emerald Beyond forum.

This poo poo is getting loving bonkers in 2024. Apparently games are just for signaling your politics to people now and not you know....for entertainment and stimulation.

Some character in that game apparently calls someone a musclebound chud which has caused some severe :qq: stuff from the gamergate crowd as well.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

"It doesn't match the AI translation" is the new one.

These people genuinely think that AI is "pure" because sometimes Japanese writers 'accidentally' put woke things in, and thankfully AI translation magically excises this.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It was kinda funny though when people could not get the AI to misgender someone no matter what prompts they used, because it's not accurate to anything, the only reason to do so is spite.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kale posted:

This poo poo is getting loving bonkers in 2024. Apparently games are just for signaling your politics to people now and not you know....for entertainment and stimulation.

The issue for these people is that they've reached the point where they can't have fun anymore. Everything to them is a battle for the survival of the white race protection against the dreaded Woke, and the mere presence of these things in games upsets them because it's a constant reminder that everyone who isn't in their lovely bubble doesn't care. It's also why they are clinging so tightly to Japanese or Korean media because they can go "See, this WOKE is just an American thing and other countries know better" only to have it thrown in their face that whatever problems other countries have they also have people who don't let out a skree and cower in a corner if a gay person or woman exists.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I think there’s a decent chance parts of G Gundam Cross Rays are machine translated because I’m now playing one of the series I watched recently and I can remember specific conversations from the show and the way the translation mistranslates lines every once and awhile is bizarre.

It could also be just an overworked translator with no context for what’s happening in Gundam Seed.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
As a bilingual individual, I find myself rolling my eyes more and more at localization these days, but it never makes me upset or mad. Gotta let people put their own personal touch on things a little in these few years we have left before AI monopolizes translations, and we start giving the input "Translate and localize this text in the style of a blue-hair-haver" when we get nostalgic

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

The pace at which I’m getting levels is cool, but it’s hard to tell how mechanics work together as a whole. It kinda seems like they just added 4 zeroes to every number from the other games so far.

Yeah I didn't like the level changes for that reason. It'd be one thing if the curve was the same as previous games but when you gain hundreds of levels within 10 minutes of starting the game the bigger numbers are just aesthetics.

Kale
May 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The issue for these people is that they've reached the point where they can't have fun anymore. Everything to them is a battle for the survival of the white race protection against the dreaded Woke, and the mere presence of these things in games upsets them because it's a constant reminder that everyone who isn't in their lovely bubble doesn't care. It's also why they are clinging so tightly to Japanese or Korean media because they can go "See, this WOKE is just an American thing and other countries know better" only to have it thrown in their face that whatever problems other countries have they also have people who don't let out a skree and cower in a corner if a gay person or woman exists.

Somewhere along the way too they convinced themselves that Japan and Korea are these huge anti-woke paradises where nothing is ever censored for content and anytime there games include any person of color or LGBT themes of any sort that it was forced on them by apparently some consulting firm in Montreal that has never worked with a studio outside North America and Europe and employs 15 people

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
solution is just stay away from AAA or AAAA western oriented written games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

solution is just stay away from AAA or AAAA western oriented written games

If you think indie Japanese titles have fewer gay people then I have bad news for you.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
One of the characters in Eiyuden has a literal "well, THAT just happened" line pretty early on which on one hand is probably different than the original line and is the go-to example for Cringe Dialogue, but the character's whole personality is "annoying hyperactive teenager" so it still feels organic to me. It seems like a lot of people see "localizing Japanese media tropes with analogous Western media tropes that are more relatable to an American audience", which is just part of localization, and since to a certain type of person any and all Western media tropes are woke DEI then there you go shrug emoji

Also Emerald Saga completely owns and takes what I like about Frontier and Scarlet (the incredibly disjointed setting and the battle system respectively) and discards what I didn't like (the inverse of that) and mashes it up and makes it just the right amount of more accessible and is shaping up to be the first one I don't reluctantly bounce off of

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't know any Japanese, so I would not be able to tell or know if a line was true to its original Japanese script. And without someone who speaks fluent Japanese being able to confirm the script and differences, I just don't see why I should care about this. I've yet to see anyone who has said "hey I speak fluent Japanese, and this english translation is bad."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Hundred Heroes is a Kickstarter game and had the most Japanese backers of any KS game. I don't think one dark skinned person is a plot to appeal to the West.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

been playing codename bakery, its pretty good! but lol a the disparity in the art sometimes, you got regular npcs who have "normal" art, then the main characters have "serious" anime art, then you have random catgirls with goofy anime art for some reason?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there’s an entire ecosystem of people who say this poo poo about every new release and many of them have financial motivation to do so. they’re not going away and only going to get worse but there’s no point in musing over their reasoning

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

Hundred Heroes is a Kickstarter game and had the most Japanese backers of any KS game. I don't think one dark skinned person is a plot to appeal to the West.

It's not worth thinking about it logically tbh. These are the same crowd that were convinced That woke localizers forced in the line about how awesome the LGBT community is, in AI: Somnium files, and when people pointed out it's a 1:1 line in JP, that crowd pivoted to claiming the author is not "really Japanese" and actually a white girl from California trying to ruin everything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

babypolis posted:

been playing codename bakery, its pretty good! but lol a the disparity in the art sometimes, you got regular npcs who have "normal" art, then the main characters have "serious" anime art, then you have random catgirls with goofy anime art for some reason?
i assume some art is reused from the gacha game girls frontline that its a spinoff of.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's not worth thinking about it logically tbh. These are the same crowd that were convinced That woke localizers forced in the line about how awesome the LGBT community is, in AI: Somnium files, and when people pointed out it's a 1:1 line in JP, that crowd pivoted to claiming the author is not "really Japanese" and actually a white girl from California trying to ruin everything.
yeah this basically. these people have like impatom said basically convinced themselves that literally any inclusion of a black person or a gay person is a woke leftist psyop and not just devs including things that exist in real life. like ff7 had a black dude in it as one of the main characters back in the 90s and back in the 2000s no more heroes had shinobu and that was before Woke Rays or w/e, but these people dont actually care about any of that they just wanna scream.

they arent worth thinking about theyre basically just conspiracy theorists. itd be like trying to argue logically with the guy at the bus stop telling you that bush put a bomb in his brain as part of his plan to create 9/11 2. like uh-huh man sure

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/1554722839697461248

https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/1554731556920762368

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I said come in! posted:

Yeah the PC version runs great. Steam Deck is good too, with only a drop to 40fps in the overworld.

set it in game to 30 fps and you'll get smooth 60fps. i'm running it at 7w cpu and 10w gpu iirc and it's great.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Betty's a character from GFL, but the art is original to Codename Bakery. Same for Abigail.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The dialog is not good my rear end!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked when people tried to drag matsuno into a convo about it and he went 'there are probably some issues with some translations, but most people are just trying to do their best to provide a good experience. instead of blaming each other, let us curse god, who destroyed the tower of babel.'

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

there’s an entire ecosystem of people who say this poo poo about every new release and many of them have financial motivation to do so. they’re not going away and only going to get worse but there’s no point in musing over their reasoning

yea, it happens every single time and 99% of the script is the same each time. It's as surprising as paint drying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

yea, it happens every single time and 99% of the script is the same each time. It's as surprising as paint drying.
yeah and it doesnt actually matter. literally every game theyve tried to go after over it has done extremely well and no normal person actually cares.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Endorph posted:

‘instead of blaming each other, let us curse god, who destroyed the tower of babel.'

lol that owns.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Srice posted:

People run the script through Google translate basically.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

babypolis posted:

Yeah the entire squad there isn't human, they're t-dolls (combat androids) that are cameo characters from Girls Frontline. I think they also have a different artist.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

BabyRyoga posted:

As a bilingual individual, I find myself rolling my eyes more and more at localization these days, but it never makes me upset or mad. Gotta let people put their own personal touch on things a little in these few years we have left before AI monopolizes translations, and we start giving the input "Translate and localize this text in the style of a blue-hair-haver" when we get nostalgic

i dont think this is going to happen beyond the bottom of the barrel companies that already practiced this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea lol. sega and capcom both have put out aticles in the past few months about how closely they work with the localization teams during development, big projects use translators and localizers for way more than just literal translation. mass market products being released internationally have a lot of considerations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think of a company like bandai namco who has been guilty of trying this for years and they'll still front the cash to put out a half-decent translation of a big release because they've been hit with enough complaints about machine translating srw and gundam games before that they at least know if they try to run literally everything through a machine forever even if it's something extremely dialog heavy that will in fact negatively reflect on how people view them. they do it but they only do it in the areas they know they can get away with it now and especially if it's a big release like armored core they're not putting their reputation on the line to save a few bucks on a game that is already easy money

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

this thread has a lot of threes and fives in it by the way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looking forward to someone AI translating Wild Arms 2 and the AI just killing itself halfway through.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
people like to talk about square enix business heads with dumb ai poo poo proposals. the key is that none of this will ever reflect on the games square enix actually releases because if they tried shoving it into anything other than a cheapo contracted out mobile game pet project it would not be pretty, among other things they have enough familiarity with the era of bad tls to know having good tls makes a difference

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Like to be clear, Eiyden's cast contains:
A huge muscley dude who claims to be a wizard, thinks MP stands for Muscle Points, and fights exclusively by hitting things really hard with his magic staff (which he considers a spell.)
A literal magical girl
A huge wolf man
A 6 year old girl riding a giant mysterious shaggy creature called Friend
Literal Shark People
A samurai and her girlfriend rival ninja.
A literal Beyblade protagonist complete with ridiculous shonen anime hair
A completely separate CCG protagonist and his rival, a giant insanely busty bull girl who is also a CCG player
An ancient lich
A kangaroo man

But a black lady? That's unacceptable.

What I was getting at is Bob is a black man normally and the werewolf thing is only for fights.

Actually with a cast this large how are the characters themselves writing wise? Like I'm not expecting everyone to get spotlight during the main story, but do they at least have side stuff?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

What I was getting at is Bob is a black man normally and the werewolf thing is only for fights.

Actually with a cast this large how are the characters themselves writing wise? Like I'm not expecting everyone to get spotlight during the main story, but do they at least have side stuff?

Like Suikoden, it depends on the characters. Some characters get more than others, like the chef dude gets his own dramatic chef plotline but Yumi and Friend basically just show up rarely to interact with other kid characters.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I'm really enjoying the voice acting/direction of Eiyuden in English. There's a lot more voiced lines than I expected. They had a lot of fun yelling into the mic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

ImpAtom posted:

Like to be clear, Eiyden's cast contains:
A huge muscley dude who claims to be a wizard, thinks MP stands for Muscle Points, and fights exclusively by hitting things really hard with his magic staff (which he considers a spell.)
A literal magical girl
A huge wolf man
A 6 year old girl riding a giant mysterious shaggy creature called Friend
Literal Shark People
A samurai and her girlfriend rival ninja.
A literal Beyblade protagonist complete with ridiculous shonen anime hair
A completely separate CCG protagonist and his rival, a giant insanely busty bull girl who is also a CCG player
An ancient lich
A kangaroo man

But a black lady? That's unacceptable.

The game has a sort of a lite version of the Trinity system from Suikoden 3. Nowa is the main character but Seign and Marisa have their own mini-plots they engage in separately and of course the three have a "we are important main characters" team up attack.

no young lich? diversity fail