Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sometimes I miss things in WoW. I may have posted this before. I forget. But every so often, I am just reminded of something. Earlier today I remember running through STV at low level to get to BB for the flight point and the boat. On a PVP server. PVP servers sucked. That run sucked. It was exciting, true. But not really a good way to spend time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Raiding in WoW during the wrath of the lich king era was one of the biggest blows to my faith in humanity I've ever experienced. Even the hard mode raids were extremely easy mechanically - there was never anything unexpected happening, they didn't require perfect play or anything and all you needed to beat them were some incredibly low-level video game skills. But getting 10 or 25 people to all exhibit incredibly low-level videogame skills for 5 minutes at a time was such an incredible clusterfuck that I spiraled into a deep depression realizing that a significant population of people can't handle something like "press E for 2 seconds when a giant red circle appears on your screen and the game plays a loud warning noise and someone announces on voice chat that you should press E for 2 seconds" consistently. I mean I also spiraled into a deep depression because I was playing WoW but my faith in people never fully recovered.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 23, 2024

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I think it's mostly people hyper focusing on their optimal skill rotation to the point where they ignore the actual game parts happening around them because they can't pay attention to the boss AND their class's gimmick meter / skill cooldowns at the same time

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The best raiders in the world are also the best at just playing Simon Says makes you think

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Raids in eq and eq2 were a lot of fun because a lot of the time they were so goddamn hard you had to think creatively

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GigNTIX IA Bxk BBbbbby MOzuuuuu. Hmmm yeah I could fix this post but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't help anyone here it's not like anybody played it/plays it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Raids in eq and eq2 were a lot of fun because a lot of the time they were so goddamn hard you had to think creatively

Everquest in general was insanely hard. Dying made you lose like 8 hours of grinding and the fact that you could lose your corpse is a far too powerful mechanic for any modern MMO player.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's funny because eq is veery slow to level but it wouldn't have been nearly so bad if the servers weren't packed to the tits.

Sitting at a camp with like 4ish spawns every half hourish plus whatever pulls you can nab with 6 people, fuckin hell lol.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
People always talk about Wrath like it's so great but I tried some of those time shifted raids and they were so much walking down boring hallways to fight bosses that spent longer talking than it takes to kill them.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Being good at mmos is like being good at commuting.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

The upside with modern MMOs (including old ones that are still active) is in most cases they're free to play up to a certain level or just straight up free with microtransactions, so you can just get your fill if you have some nostalgia for them and then just bounce. One of the smartest things they ever did with FF14 is make it so you feel free (and are encourage) to just take a break between expansions.

Them being free means its also really easy to just rope in a friend or two and just muck around for a bit without any pressure to grind or commit longterm, and if you really want to grind making a second character is usually also free or cheap.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Redezga posted:

The upside with modern MMOs...

Sadly, the downside is that they're mostly bad games.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Warcraft was great, back in the day I couldn't understand why people cared about the pvp though

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Oh since my 3 month break I've played 42 games of dota and won 22 of them so I've got better

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

jokes posted:

It has far more words than any book in existence

So does Word Muncher if you play it for long enough.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Open PVP was the only good thing about WoW

itry
Aug 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Oh since my 3 month break I've played 42 games of dota and won 22 of them so I've got better

But why, JBJ? Why? You were out! You escaped! Why go back? :negative:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

itry posted:

But why, JBJ? Why? You were out! You escaped! Why go back? :negative:

Well, I found out the nes only has about 20 good games, then beat dark souls for the 5th time and thats kinda all there is too it

itry
Aug 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Well, I found out the nes only has about 20 good games, then beat dark souls for the 5th time and thats kinda all there is too it

And what about the SNES, GBA, DS/3DS, or even the PSP? That's like another dozen or so of good games.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

itry posted:

And what about the SNES, GBA, DS/3DS, or even the PSP? That's like another dozen or so of good games.

I did beat astro boy to be fair

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Oh, well. Fair enough I suppose.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Relapses happen to everyone and we can't be too hard on him, all we can do is show our concern and that we care about him.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

i just noticed that dark souls 1 is only 3.8gb

and now games are 100 gb

but are the graphics really 25 times as good?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

roomtone posted:

and now games are 100 gb

12.5 times cuz remastered is roughly twice the size

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

roomtone posted:

and now games are 100 gb

25 copies of Dark Souls = 1 Elden Ring

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Rings have a lot of polygons okay, they are much heavier than souls.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

playing fallout 4

i think every crafting system would be improved if you could just spend the game's money to buy the materials on the same menu as crafting the thing. this costs x steel, x gears, x wood, or 500 zenny.

does anybody enjoy going ah cool, i'm one piece of copper short to make this item. time for a treasure hunt!

you can keep the collectibles you need to justify your open world, they can discount the price, just give me the option to bypass it by using money.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

roomtone posted:

playing fallout 4

i think every crafting system would be improved if you could just spend the game's money to buy the materials on the same menu as crafting the thing. this costs x steel, x gears, x wood, or 500 zenny.

does anybody enjoy going ah cool, i'm one piece of copper short to make this item. time for a treasure hunt!

you can keep the collectibles you need to justify your open world, they can discount the price, just give me the option to bypass it by using money.

For me, and, this is very very subjective, but, Fallout is the 'one' place where I actually quite like having to rummage around for specific stuff. Only because, you see all this tut in the world, and it makes sense that it's there, but it's mostly all actually garbage. But you see it and think, "You could probably actually USE some old screws" or whatever, and so, when you 'can', it feels good. You might come across an old flag, and think "I wonder if at some point there will be some history nut that's after this flag" and, there might be! But there equally might not. One man's trash is another mans treasure, and all that. I mean, In the fallout world, the money is just bottlecaps, which is still just more crap, y'know? It means you're actually foraging for poo poo. Real poo poo that exists in the world for a reason, but making do with the bits and bobs that you find useful.

If it was just generic interchangeable 'trash items' that would be less immersive. I DO think that typically it's just busywork, I sympathise with the general statement. I just feel like Fallout in particular is a world of trash, that you can make diamonds out of.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

crafting is stupid poo poo for morons who wear shirts that say "Nobody cares, work harder!"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Replace crafting with Kraft™ing, all in on Mac and Cheese.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

crafting is stupid poo poo for morons who wear shirts that say "Nobody cares, work harder!"

They're one of the ways the whole bar goes up psychology has kind of hit literally every genre of game now. Everyone knows what's addictive and just mashes that button.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

picking up swords and guns off of bodies is much more fun than building them in a menu after picking up ingots or whatever

itry
Aug 23, 2019

But modifying existing stuff, now that's pretty cool.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

roomtone posted:

and now games are 100 gb

I realized a while back that all this theoretical extra power post PS360 consoles an PCs have all added up to nothing more than a way for developers to be lazy and not optimize their games at all. Like Titanfall’s obscene 48gb install is all just 35gb of uncompressed audio. rather than high-end super-duper realistic graphics and physics. None of these games are actually that big, the devs just have no reason to bother making them well.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Redezga posted:

Them being free means its also really easy to just rope in a friend or two and just muck around for a bit without any pressure to grind or commit longterm, and if you really want to grind making a second character is usually also free or cheap.

ff14 doesn't let free players form parties lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Fallout 4's crafting creates that weird issue where 99% of the garbage around you could be useful but it's just decorative debris; you can't pick any of it up. Perfectly good bookshelf could be easily dismantled and you'd have pre-cut boards ready to go, but no, you have to get wood resources from things like toy horses.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Fur20 posted:

ff14 doesn't let free players form parties lol

There was a workaround where you could beg a paying player to put you in a party together. Honestly the most fun part of playing IMO.

Albino Broccoli
Aug 5, 2022

Khanstant posted:

I went from level 1 to like 25 or 30 before quitting. People claim that's the worst part and bla bla it gets sooo good but nobody can really say why and you have to have severe MMO addiction to even be able to get passed all the terrible things MMO players just expect to put up with.

I had multiple people tell me it was very good, but the base game sucks you have to get to the expansions, so I did and I still felt like I was slogging through it and when asked they said no, it's the SECOND expansion where it really gets good and I turned it off to play Risk of Rain 2 instead

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I am forever tempted to do that because I want more Matsuno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
The good old days when games had to be under 4GB so they’d fit on a DVD.