Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Mandel Brotset posted:

yeah sorry I didn’t mean suggest banning it but I do find the “won’t matter, will be crushed” tone annoying

ime people like that are trying to temper their own expectations bc they care enormously and subconsciously associate having misplaced faith in an unsuccessful protest with a weakening/denial of what the protest represents

it's like sports fans trying not to jinx it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

So it's cool to come in this thread and be a doomer. Just remember that the coming doom is the doom of the great satan.

inshallah

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Lasting Damage posted:

Tangentially, I'd like to make the case to the IKs that it's time to ban this kind of :burger: posting. To me, arguing how the student protests might affect things domestically in the US is no different from the WWIII type of posting. Its speculation at best and takes the focus of the thread off of the Palestinian struggle for liberation. I think the topic is worth discussing, but maybe elsewhere. I think posting about developments actually happening in regards the protests is good for this thread, but specifically I'm talking about stuff like "oh this is gonna backfire and set off something bigger" or "it's a pointless middle-class performance" ought to forbidden.

my interpretation is that burger posting is talking about how the genocide might affect things in america or the west; talking about how things in the west might affect the genocide is not. do feel that maybe we've been letting too much burger and outrage posting slide so I'd be open to being persuaded I guess. the example you quoted was already probed so I'm a little confused.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

FirstnameLastname posted:

the things people are missing about these protests isn't where they're happening but who is involved

This is the segment of society that 10, 20 years from now would be running protection for Israel, these are the people that they would be asking to shut the college down

for a lot of them this is their first impression of Israel, the country's acting like every bad guy from every movie, combined with the nazis. people will remember that poo poo

if Israel doesn't get its hooks into people's careers before they're fully established & self-sufficient, and likewise with their peers, it has very little to build leverage with

Israel has made it both cool to support palestine, and uncool to support Israel, across children, teenagers, young adults -
it'll get you into the halls of power today but it will not get you invited to a party tonight

and what do college students generally value most

israel is cooked

Yeah, and this is why zionists are freaking out so hard about it and trying to beat them into obedience.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jen heir rick posted:

this is so crazy cool. These protests seem different somehow. It feels like the powerful are actually scared of these protests. It feels meaningful unlike previous protests that were just ignored.

its because no matter what they do their israeli friends will still call them hitler for not doing even more repression.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
load your guns with deaths gunpowder

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Destroyenator posted:

Has anyone done the Israeli flag with a snowflake instead of a star yet?

I think this one would fit. On my phone so :effort:

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Complications posted:

The Vietnam peace protests accomplished gently caress all, but troops all but totally mutinying and definitely fragging officers ended the war and the draft to boot.

fragging peaked in 1971, but by 1966 they were already resorting to drafting cannon fodder from prisons and mental institutions to make up for shortfalls in draft numbers

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Lasting Damage posted:

I think it's good people are internalizing the idea that these sorts of protests are limited in the effect they can have, but I think its leading some posters to conflate the necessity of working-class consciousness and organization to build a revolutionary movement, with the utility of the middle-class revolt in affecting policy change in the imperial core. People are right to bring up Vietnam; the anti-war movement was never going to produce a proletarian revolution but it's hard to argue that the empire's policy wasn't forced to shift because of unrest at home and in the army.

You just have to have the right expectations. These kids are not going to bring about a collapse of the capitalist empire, but as part of a larger movement, they can help force that empire to retreat from supporting the genocide of Palestinians.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure to see the imperial spear-tip shatter because of mass proletarian revolt here in the US, but at the end of the day, the only thing that will make it do that is the steadfast resolve and heroic resistance of Palestinians. We won't be able to take credit for that inevitable victory. But we can probably help weaken the resolve of the empire against the indomitable will of Palestine.

Tangentially, I'd like to make the case to the IKs that it's time to ban this kind of :burger: posting. To me, arguing how the student protests might affect things domestically in the US is no different from the WWIII type of posting. Its speculation at best and takes the focus of the thread off of the Palestinian struggle for liberation. I think the topic is worth discussing, but maybe elsewhere. I think posting about developments actually happening in regards the protests is good for this thread, but specifically I'm talking about stuff like "oh this is gonna backfire and set off something bigger" or "it's a pointless middle-class performance" ought to forbidden.

fake edit:

This is kinda the thing I mean

:coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone:

time for coolzone thread part 2, sounds like we are all lusting for more funny videos of cops tripping and falling over

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I don't know how dependent on foreign aid apartheid South Africa was, but it seems like a bunch of divestments could really cripple Israel even faster than it did in the run-up to the end of apartheid. I mean despite all the free poo poo Israel gets, they were still hitting up US synagogues and IDF-linked orgs for money to buy uniforms and body armor and whatnot and then having to order it from China because despite easily and inexpensive that stuff is to buy or produce, they did not have it stockpiled, did not have the ability to manufacture it, and apparently did not have the money on hand to buy cheap, cheap supplies.

Not to mention they run that Friends of the IDF charity that raises money for soldiers too. I really don't think a country whose military has to partly run on donations can eat a BDS movement with proper momentum

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

FormaldehydeSon posted:

:coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone::coolzone:

time for coolzone thread part 2, sounds like we are all lusting for more funny videos of cops tripping and falling over

Just watch your toes :coolzone:

text editor posted:

I don't know how dependent on foreign aid apartheid South Africa was, but it seems like a bunch of divestments could really cripple Israel even faster than it did in the run-up to the end of apartheid. I mean despite all the free poo poo Israel gets, they were still hitting up US synagogues and IDF-linked orgs for money to buy uniforms and body armor and whatnot and then having to order it from China because despite easily and inexpensive that stuff is to buy or produce, they did not have it stockpiled, did not have the ability to manufacture it, and apparently did not have the money on hand to buy cheap, cheap supplies.

Not to mention they run that Friends of the IDF charity that raises money for soldiers too. I really don't think a country whose military has to partly run on donations can eat a BDS movement with proper momentum

Israel is a "startup nation" in the sense that it will die like all those stupid tech companies did when interest rates stopped being negative and money for ultra rich people to invest was no longer free.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

FormaldehydeSon posted:

no thank you

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tristeham posted:

no thank you

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

tristeham posted:

no thank you

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

FormaldehydeSon posted:

i mean if the ik's don't allow chat about the protests itt then it should get its own thread but oh god no not another coolzone thread

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

tristeham posted:

no thank you

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

text editor posted:

also if they weren’t a pet project of the West, with the West making clear to all that treating Israel with deference is a mandatory component of the International Rule Based Order, they’d immediately become a North Korea level rogue state. they’ve behaved to all, even the hand that feeds them, with cruelty, violence, and contempt, and in return they’ve offered only trade with a globally irrelevant economy.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

palestine's what an actual cool zone looks like. you libs don't have the stomach for convictions

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Back in october/November when the protests started going up in strong fashion, I think we kinda threaded the needle on - the protests are good and should be talked about. But random nobodies/us politicians thoughts on the protests is succ zone material. I think we've kinda let too much burger through, and should probably start cracking down on it a bit more. But ultimately, the focus should still be on the genocide - and less about the protests and the discourse around it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
give the columbia protesters an unexploded nuke

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Robert Kraft was caught on tape soliciting prostitution but got off on a technicality

:tipshat:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Butter Activities posted:

Just watch your toes :coolzone:

Israel is a "startup nation" in the sense that it will die like all those stupid tech companies did when interest rates stopped being negative and money for ultra rich people to invest was no longer free.

inshallah

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

People itt spend too much time talking about how the protests won't cause Netanyahu to kill himself, rather than why the organizers are doing it. Has the word "divestment" been mentioned in the past 5 pages?

I do think the divestment of an Ivy League college from Israel would provide a crack in the foundational assumptions of the Israeli project. And the crackdown is quickly winnowing out other possible outcomes.

As in other fronts, Israel is cooked and they just don't know it

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

a happy belated pee sack to those who celebrate

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the protesting is the right thing to do now.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

CheetoVonTito posted:

I don’t follow football…is the owner of the patriots a big deal?

https://x.com/kahlissee/status/1782826724813656361?s=46

Putin stole his super bowl ring, then he kissed Tom Brady on the lips

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
One of Columbia's donors is funding a new building in New York on the condition they build a satellite campus in Tel Aviv that Palestinian American students who are enrolled at Columbia couldn't visit. BDS is an existential threat to the upper management of Columbia not just Israel.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i really dont think Universities are doing well when they have to commit mass arrests of their students and staff. Israel is cooked. the kids arent gonna take it anymore.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Jen heir rick posted:

this is so crazy cool. These protests seem different somehow. It feels like the powerful are actually scared of these protests. It feels meaningful unlike previous protests that were just ignored.

the Israeli project appears to be a keystone in the edifice built by the transatlantic bourgeoisie. Wonder what happens when it crumbles and falls out

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

and then he got caught at a rub and tug and it was nationwide news, humiliating

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Spergin Morlock posted:

Kraft's story now is that he really did give it to him as a gift. He has to live that lie.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

lol I thought you all were joking but nope

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-vladimir-putin-stole-a-super-bowl-ring-from-the-patriots-robert-kraft/

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

quote:

"It would really be in the best interest of US-Soviet relations if you meant to give the ring as a present," Kraft said he was told on the White House call in 2005.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

just make him another ring rofl

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Spergin Morlock posted:

the Israeli project appears to be a keystone in the edifice built by the transatlantic bourgeoisie. Wonder what happens when it crumbles and falls out

I’m stealing this from a Jared Bauer video essay but I think his claim is that the split over Israel and Palestine won’t be yet another culture war but is the beginning of the end of the current sort of superstructure of liberalism. The importance of Israel is deeply material. Israel existence as a destabilizing force in the Middle East more than anything is vital for western imperialism. So, because even the most superficially progressive liberal “wokeness” can no longer easily incorporate Israel as it exists, it’s much more likely the center left establishment breaks from sort of “woke” rhetoric to some different framework entirely that can accommodate racism and Islamophobia alongside their domestic agenda more easily.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Butter Activities posted:

I’m stealing this from a Jared Bauer video essay but I think his claim is that the split over Israel and Palestine won’t be yet another culture war but is the beginning of the end of the current sort of superstructure of liberalism. The importance of Israel is deeply material. Israel existence as a destabilizing force in the Middle East more than anything is vital for western imperialism. So, because even the most superficially progressive liberal “wokeness” can no longer easily incorporate Israel as it exists, it’s much more likely the center left establishment breaks from sort of “woke” rhetoric to some different framework entirely that can accommodate racism and Islamophobia alongside their domestic agenda more easily.

Even dumber and cruder people, enmeshed in the culture war, have landed on the same thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpKW7XYXIwY

and the second half of this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4w72E7Xylg

Also fantastic case in point for why calling everything "antisemitic" is dangerous, because Sam loving Hyde arrived at the same (correct) arguments as Breakthrough News and Electronic Intifada, hell as Norman Finkelstein, by working from a starting position of (possibly ironic) antisemitism.

:psyduck:

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

really queer Christmas posted:

Back in october/November when the protests started going up in strong fashion, I think we kinda threaded the needle on - the protests are good and should be talked about. But random nobodies/us politicians thoughts on the protests is succ zone material. I think we've kinda let too much burger through, and should probably start cracking down on it a bit more. But ultimately, the focus should still be on the genocide - and less about the protests and the discourse around it.

Yeah, just arguing maybe some of the posts of people making wild eyed predictions that Kent State 2: Electric Boogaloo is gonna happen needs to stop. Speculating about what could happen if cops light up a bunch of american zoomers in the thread about Palestinians fighting for their lives just seems like garbage posting.

FormaldehydeSon posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tristeham posted:

no thank you

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

god drat it ff you posted sam hyde

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

in the detroit area we had a superior version of chuck e cheese which was "Little Ceasar's Family Fun" and it had more video games, a better play structure, and no irritating and or scary to tiny children musical act. it also had better pizza, and served beer.

the amount of beer served at those places is directly correlated with how lovely they are lol