Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

We need to do “3-years-later analysis” for the big names and their big boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

I don't think people would be so down on Bowers in the top 10 if he wasn't so unjacked and also balding

and tiny.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pron on VHS posted:

I don't think people would be so down on Bowers in the top 10 if he wasn't so unjacked and also balding

And bad at blocking

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I just visually wanted to see how much of the NFL is employing a first round pick as it's projected starter next year:

~~ First Round QB Havers / Starters ~~
Arizona - 1st RND / 1st Pick
Baltimore - 1st RND / 32nd Pick
Buffalo - 1st RND / 7th Pick
Carolina - 1st RND / 1st Pick
Cincinatti - 1st RND / 1st Pick
Cleveland - 1st RND / 12th Pick
Detroit - 1st RND / 1st Pick
Green Bay - 1st RND / 26th Pick
Houston - 1st RND/ 2nd Pick
Indianapolis - 1st RND / 4th Pick
Jacksonville - 1st RND /1st Pick
Kansas City - 1st RND / 10th Pick
San Diego (LA) - 1st RND / 6th Pick
Los Angeles - 1st RND / 1st Pick
New York (Blue) - 1st RND / 6th Pick
New York (Green) - 1st RND / 24th Pick
Tampa Bay - 1st RND / 1st Pick
Chicago - TBD (1/1)
Washington - TBD (Likely 1/2)

~~ Great Value QBs ~~
New Orleans - 2nd RND / 4th Pick
Philadelphia - 2nd RND / 20th Pick
Seattle - 2nd RND / 7th Pick
Tennessee - 2nd RND / 2nd Pick

~~ We Traded for Russ Wilson Tier, but also have a 1st Round Guy in our Pocket ~~
Pittsburgh - 3rd RND / 16th Pick

~~ Irrelevant since the 90s ~~
Atlanta - 4th RND / 7th Pick
Dallas - 4th RND / 36th Pick

~~ I sell hot tubs and hot tubs accessories ~~
San Fran - 7th RND / 40th Pick (Last Draftee)

~~ Do you use your draft picks or the mystery box? The mystery box can be anything (Zach Wilson) ~~
Denver - TBD (1st RND / 2nd Pick on Roster)
Las Vegas - TBD (6th RND / 5th Pick on Roster)
Minnesota - TBD (1st RND / 3rd Pick on Roster)
New England - TBD (3rd RND / 27th Pick on Roster)

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
The Commanders have told teams they aren't trading #2.

The Patriots haven't received a serious offer for #3.

So. the Draft really starts at Pick #4. What will the Cardinals do?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Harlock posted:

I just visually wanted to see how much of the NFL is employing a first round pick as it's projected starter next year:

*snip*

~20 teams with first round picks at QB/competing for QB.

I’m on mobile, did I count that right?

~20 seems low!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Pron on VHS posted:

Yeah, along with a few other things.

I have zero doubt about his ability to produce in the NFL. Well, few doubts anyways. The issue is that he's really not a traditional tight end, in fact he's not one of the two main types of tight ends. He's a unique player and really will necessitate new wrinkles in offensive scheme to use him effectively, no matter where he goes.

The easiest comp is probably Deebo Samuel, in the sense that they both have very different games compared to others at the position. But Deebo still does normal wr things well, where Bowers can struggle with certain tight end duties, being short and not an excellent blocker.

I still really like him, in fact his uniqueness is very interesting. But whatever team takes him should plan to change up their playbook a little. Maybe run a lot more 2 tight end sets with him in the slot.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The Commanders have told teams they aren't trading #2.

The Patriots haven't received a serious offer for #3.

So. the Draft really starts at Pick #4. What will the Cardinals do?

The cardinals have said they will listen for offers but won't trade the pick until their turn comes. If I were them I would stay and pick unless MN offers 11, 23, and a future first. The idea that their two first round picks this draft should be enough on their own is ludicrous to me.

But MHJ is so hard to pass on. I'd probably just take him, since if they trade down they will almost certainly miss out on the top three receivers.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Surprised to see so many people ranking Odunze over Nabers now. I hope that means Nabers is still available at #9 :pray:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Milton: the strongest qb

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Is it possible that Milton could become a gadget QB in the Taysom Hill mold? He definitely has the size and strength for it. I haven't really watched him much though, not sure if he's any good in the QB run game.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Milton: the strongest qb

Strongest throwing arm since Kelsey Plum

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Exactly.

It’s a simple flow chart: does the team have a franchise qb? If not, then the team 100% must draft an elite qb prospect when given the opportunity.

If the team tries to build a better situation for an incoming QB prospect then you get yourself out of elite qb prospect range.

Also, it’s the nfl. A team can absolutely build sufficient supporting talent around a rookie qb in two offseasons, if the team commits to doing so.

I don't subscribe to the dogma on this either way--it's entirely constraints based on your organization and ability to go get other talent.

Mahomes, Herbert, and Allen were developmental projects who were elite tools guys and gettable for teams who would've wanted to trade up badly enough. Lamar was a late first. Kyler or Goff were clear #1s in their classes, yet I don't 100% believe that anyone thinks those two are going to win you a super bowl without significant roster help now. You can find dudes with the tools to be elite basically the whole way through the first at this point, but taking guys in that premium 1-1 or 1-2 pick spot don't seem to do that much better unless you're literally Trevor Lawrence now.

I make the point with the Commanders because literally none of the potential elite QBs really fit what they've been trying to do --you do not have a guy in this class who is great at handling the blitz who will be there where they're picking, and your offense hinges on fast receivers who excel in verts and crosses. If you want to change that and run a spread or short-game that turns those shot plays into play action off a boot or whatever, maybe that will work, but there's no coherence to the build to where a franchise QB either solves things immediately or has an obvious "Dan Quinn wants to do this" component. I'm not anti-early QB; I'm against the idea of wasting the window a QB is cheap and can have maximum chances to develop before you have to pay them.

Here's my ultimate point--is a franchise QB going to focus your attention in roster building and invite you to properly develop them and the team around them? To me, that's explicitly "this is what we would immediately start running with this guy, and these are the subsequent developmental priorities that invites". There are like 1-3 guys like that in the average draft. Most recently, you look at Burrow or Stroud and go "we need like 3-4 receivers who know vertical lanes and narrow windows, gently caress everything else" or "Lawrence can solve basically any coverage so let's try to find guys who get to points as cleanly as possible". If you just decide you want a QB for the sake of wanting one and don't have an actual plan for how they're going to immediately fit in the structure, you get the Chicago version of Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, Sam Darnold, or Bryce. Sometimes that's a GM or Owner making a bad eval, and sometimes that's a coach being dogmatic too. The 49ers traded up for Lance. The Panthers traded up for Young. The Bears traded up for Fields. There is literally always a price you can pay for a trade-up, but it's completely irrelevant what part of the first you draft a QB in if your plan is to nebulously hope that you go find good teammates to play with in future years when the actual benefit of a good, young QB (salary cap relief to build a roster) doesn't imply any sense of patience these days. If you're drafting a guy without an obvious "These are the next 24 months", I genuinely think there's like 1-2 guys in the last 30 years where you can get away with it and have a winner (Luck, Lawrence). Teams like the Bengals now have to change their roster building to develop skill guys while they pay Burrow. Teams like the Texans have every incentive to grab elite roster guys for about 18 months now and pay for it with the knowledge that they're trying to maximize what CJ can learn and do before money constraints change the sandbox around him. The Bears are clearly planning to do this; Washington and New England look like organizations right now where they have no real plan for "if this guy hits, then what" in how they're built to this point though hey maybe they could pull that off. In general, hitting an eval is one thing, but you have to have a coach/GM alignment on the system and roster for the immediate future, or you're basically guaranteed to waste both developmental time or even a chance at a run when you can build the best supporting cast the most easily if you're not ready for it.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Play posted:

Is it possible that Milton could become a gadget QB in the Taysom Hill mold? He definitely has the size and strength for it. I haven't really watched him much though, not sure if he's any good in the QB run game.

He's not really a natural runner though he can kind of do it just off of raw athleticism. The big problem though is my gadget QB needs to throw a catchable vert ball as a constraint, and Milton does not do that.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUH1KpMRUBI

Daniels should be #2. The toughness in this loss is unreal.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm hesitant on Daniels just because I think Nabers makes him look better than he actually is. I've seen so many underthrown balls where Nabers has to stop, go backwards to get the ball, and then he still explodes and is just gone for a TD.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Pron on VHS posted:

and also if we didn't have mountains of data that show taking a TE really high in the draft is usually a fools errand

Play
Apr 25, 2006

BillsPhoenix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUH1KpMRUBI

Daniels should be #2. The toughness in this loss is unreal.

He's not exactly Lamar Jackson but he does have a REALLY nice jump cut. That is going to play in the league, this kid is going to rip off some massive runs.

His arm strength actually does concern me a bit. I think he has somewhere around Burrow level arm talent, but does he have Burrow level anticipation and accuracy? Even at the college level some of his passes scare you because they look late and slow. That will be even more crucial in the NFL where windows can close so quickly.

I like Daniels but my opinion has definitely shifted a bit, to the point that I'm putting Maye above Daniels. The age, the lack of arm strength, the skinny body, the propensity to take sacks, they all play against him. So much of his evaluation will be based around how much value teams think he can add on the ground, which is probably quite a lot of value. But it really depends what you want to do on offense.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm hesitant on Daniels just because I think Nabers makes him look better than he actually is. I've seen so many underthrown balls where Nabers has to stop, go backwards to get the ball, and then he still explodes and is just gone for a TD.

He balled out on a real bad ASU team before that.

Granted, I've got Allen, it's much more fun to talk about QBs when you don't need one.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

BillsPhoenix posted:

He balled out on a real bad ASU team before that.

Granted, I've got Allen, it's much more fun to talk about QBs when you don't need one.

Sure is

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Play posted:

He's not exactly Lamar Jackson but he does have a REALLY nice jump cut. That is going to play in the league, this kid is going to rip off some massive runs.

His arm strength actually does concern me a bit. I think he has somewhere around Burrow level arm talent, but does he have Burrow level anticipation and accuracy? Even at the college level some of his passes scare you because they look late and slow. That will be even more crucial in the NFL where windows can close so quickly.

I like Daniels but my opinion has definitely shifted a bit, to the point that I'm putting Maye above Daniels. The age, the lack of arm strength, the skinny body, the propensity to take sacks, they all play against him. So much of his evaluation will be based around how much value teams think he can add on the ground, which is probably quite a lot of value. But it really depends what you want to do on offense.

My biggest concern with Daniels can be summarized as “he creates problems for himself that he frequently solves”. Running solves fewer problems in the NFL. Holding the ball solves fewer problems in the NFL. He has some very clean throws here and there, but the anticipation over the middle isn’t there for a guy who needs to be a placement merchant.

If he changes the gravity of a coverage shell like Lamar does, maybe it leads to some cleaner windows where this works, but Kyler doesn’t change coverages like that, and he moves closer to the way Kyler does than Lamar. Lamar’s absolute craziest attribute running is that he does not take full contact frequently at the speed and margins he runs at. That’s 1 of 1 and something that was obvious at Louisville and is obvious now. Jayden frequently runs into situations where he looks like he’s going to have birds rotating above his head or hit by a train on a painted wall, which is the type of thing Griffin or like DTR did. That play style with an average arm just feels insane to me when you can see Maye deal with an even worse offensive line and make the same type of gunslinger plays with better passing upside. You’re teaching either one how to exist in a pocket, might as well grab the rocket arm guy who was still in high school through Covid.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm at the point where I don't care how Daniels throws the ball at all with how insanely fast he is for the position

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Im expecting a big info dump tomorrow when all the real leaks start to hit ans its going to be so good having the day off just to waste time and sift through them all.

The draft is offseason Christmas and I'm still hype as poo poo for it.

Im kinda expecting Xavier legette to carolina which seems to be the new hotness rumour and I can live with that.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

BlindSite posted:

Im expecting a big info dump tomorrow when all the real leaks start to hit ans its going to be so good having the day off just to waste time and sift through them all.

The draft is offseason Christmas and I'm still hype as poo poo for it.

Im kinda expecting Xavier legette to carolina which seems to be the new hotness rumour and I can live with that.

2AM Newsdump by Schefter and Rapoport is gonna be insane.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I've come to believe that Washington will draft Daniels and that he will have a point-for-point recreation of RGIII's career.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

surf rock posted:

I've come to believe that Washington will draft Daniels and that he will have a point-for-point recreation of RGIII's career.

I am doing a podcast tonight and drafting for Washington and there are no trades and I fully plan on grandstanding about taking Joe Alt and neither QB just to waste him.

quote:

none of the potential elite QBs really fit what they've been trying to do --you do not have a guy in this class who is great at handling the blitz who will be there where they're picking, and your offense hinges on fast receivers who excel in verts and crosses. If you want to change that and run a spread or short-game that turns those shot plays into play action off a boot or whatever, maybe that will work, but there's no coherence to the build to where a franchise QB either solves things immediately or has an obvious "Dan Quinn wants to do this" component. I'm not anti-early QB; I'm against the idea of wasting the window a QB is cheap and can have maximum chances to develop before you have to pay them.

and I'm directly quoting this when I do so

Yudo
May 15, 2003

surf rock posted:

Daniels is nowhere near the contact seeking missile that was RGIII. Injuries hurt him, but what sunk RGIII was RGIII (with the help of Dan Snyder).

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't know how you can say that when he gets suplexed to oblivion as often as he does.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7285387964979580206

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I get being concerned that none of the Tier 1A quarterbacks are a natural fit for what Washington's staff has tried to do in the past, but if you bypass the chance to draft a potentially elite QB prospect right now, there's no guarantee that a better fit will be there the next time you have a chance to draft a potentially elite QB prospect — if you get that chance at all. To me it seems way easier to reorient your offense/roster construction around a prospect you have in hand than it is to build the foundation of an offense you want to run and then hope the stars align and present you with the opportunity to draft a high-upside guy whose skillset is tailored to what you've built.

I also don't think Alt is the type of OT prospect who merits a top 3 pick but I think I'm increasingly in the minority on that. I feel weird about how much his perception has shifted from "very good-not-elite prospect who has plenty of untapped upside" to "as good as any OT in the past few years" over the past few months, but maybe I'm just haunted by the fact that I've seen Mike McGlinchey as a comp for him on multiple occasions.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Apparently the Raiders are pretty enamored with Daniels and the feeling is mutual. Not sure how they could possibly get their hands on him though.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

kiimo posted:

I don't know how you can say that when he gets suplexed to oblivion as often as he does.

I don't think you appreciate how badly RGIII got himself pasted. The number 2 pick is cursed in Washington anyway.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Yudo posted:

I don't think you appreciate how badly RGIII got himself pasted. The number 2 pick is cursed in Washington anyway.

I think you need to watch more JD tape. RGIII isn't in the same league when it comes to taking stupid, unnecessarily brutal hits.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

A lot of smoke that Jets want to trade up for a WR.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

A Sneaker Broker posted:

A lot of smoke that Jets want to trade up for a WR.

Insane. Be happy with bowers or take a tackle

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1782965420900618274

The Rumors...they're beginning :getin:

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Sataere posted:

I think you need to watch more JD tape. RGIII isn't in the same league when it comes to taking stupid, unnecessarily brutal hits.

If that is true, then yeah, Daniels won't be long for the NFL. RGIII took a big hit from Haloti Ngata in his rookie year loving up his knee, and that was the beginning of the end for his career.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I traded up for the Jets to take Jayden Daniels no regerts

edit: podcast draft, lots of drinks and trades. Sorry about the format, looking forward to defending dumb picks. gently caress Aaron Rodgers

1 Bears Caleb Williams
2 Commanders Joe Alt
3 Patriots Drake Maye
4 Cardinals Marvin Harrison Jr
5 Vikings JJ McCarthy
6 Giants Malik Nabers
7 Jets Jayden Daniels
8 Chargers Rome Odunze
9 Bears Taliese Fuaga
10 Titans Olu Fashanu
11 Falcons Laiatu Latu
12 Broncos Dallas Turner
13 Raiders Terrion Arnold
14 Saints JC Latham
15 Lions Quinyon Mitchell
16 Chiefs Brian Thomas Jr.
17 Dolphins MA Brock Bowers
18 Bengals Byron Murphy II
19 Rams Johnny Newton
20 Steelers Troy Fautanu
21 Jags Jared Verse
22 Eagles Cooper DeJean
23 Chargers Jackson Power Johnson
24 Cowboys Ariaius Mims
25 Packers Tyler Guyton
26 Buccaneers Nate Wiggins
27 Cardinals Darius Robinson
28 Bills Chop Robinson
29 Colts Adonai Mitchell
30 Ravens Graham Barton
31 49ers Xavier Worthy
32 Seahawks Micheal Penix Jr

kiimo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 24, 2024

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

kiimo posted:

The way he flies back and loses the ball is funnier than the Jameis Rose Bowl clip to me, the flailing is impeccable.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kiimo posted:

edit: podcast draft, lots of drinks and trades. Sorry about the format, looking forward to defending dumb picks. gently caress Aaron Rodgers

1 Bears Caleb Williams
2 Commanders Joe Alt
3 Patriots Drake Maye
5 Vikings JJ McCarthy
6 Giants Malik Nabers
7 Jets Jayden Daniels
8 Chargers Rome Odunze
9 Bears Taliese Fuaga
10 Titans Olu Fashanu
11 Falcons Laiatu Latu
12 Broncos Dallas Turner
13 Raiders Terrion Arnold
14 Saints JC Latham
15 Lions Quinyon Mitchell
16 Chiefs Brian Thomas Jr.
17 Dolphins MA Brock Bowers
18 Bengals Byron Murphy II
19 Rams Johnny Newton
20 Steelers Troy Fautanu
21 Jags Jared Verse
22 Eagles Cooper DeJean
23 Chargers Jackson Power Johnson
24 Cowboys Ariaius Mims
25 Packers Tyler Guyton
26 Buccaneers Nate Wiggins
27 Cardinals Darius Robinson
28 Bills Chop Robinson
29 Colts Adonai Mitchell
30 Ravens Graham Barton
31 49ers Xavier Worthy
32 Seahawks Micheal Penix Jr

Rome and JPJ? I'd loving dance naked in the street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kiimo posted:

1 Bears Caleb Williams
2 Commanders Joe Alt
3 Patriots Drake Maye
5 Vikings JJ McCarthy
6 Giants Malik Nabers
7 Jets Jayden Daniels
8 Chargers Rome Odunze
9 Bears Taliese Fuaga
10 Titans Olu Fashanu
11 Falcons Laiatu Latu
12 Broncos Dallas Turner