Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: loquacius)

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Willa Rogers posted:

lol, from that intercept story on the biden campaign wooing tiktok stars:

how can you run on a platform for change when you're the goddamn incumbent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I think the pro-genocide folks are genuinely shook by the number of anti-israel videos on tiktok and that's a main driver of this

speng31b
May 8, 2010

ex post facho posted:

I think the pro-genocide folks are genuinely shook by the number of anti-israel videos on tiktok and that's a main driver of this

yup

Nichael posted:

Biden is not a little less evil than Trump.

yup

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Gonna enjoy watching Biden lose the election on tiktok

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They think banning TikTok will solve everything.

The logic is consistent.
I mean, they think that voters who don't deepthroatedly support them are idiot children who need to be punished until they fall in line, so of course they'd be trying to take away people's entertainment.

"You can have your TikTok back when you learn to VBNMW, until then, sit down and think about what you did."

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

the_steve posted:

The logic is consistent.
I mean, they think that voters who don't deepthroatedly support them are idiot children who need to be punished until they fall in line, so of course they'd be trying to take away people's entertainment.

"You can have your TikTok back when you learn to VBNMW, until then, sit down and think about what you did."

It’s such incredible reasoning. They resent exposure to the news (of Israel’s genocide) rather than the cause, the news people are being exposed to, itself. If there’s no genocide, there’s no genocide news reaching the youth on TikTok.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It’s such incredible reasoning. They resent exposure to the news (of Israel’s genocide) rather than the cause, the news people are being exposed to, itself. If there’s no genocide, there’s no genocide news reaching the youth on TikTok.

there were dingdongs in the dnd palestine thread scolding about chairman xi's tiktok propaganda threat while reposting the debunked nyt hamas rape hoax article for the 4th time

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th...4029233F64B1549

in case anyone else is curious what was actually passed

it's kind of funny in comparison to the one the House passed. This one is specifically targeting social media. Instead of applying to like... anything made by a foreign adversary, the law applies to any website that allows people to make accounts and share content and that there are more than 1 million users.

so like. it is absolutely the gaza stuff that prompted this.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

why would chairman xi propagandize me to think genocide is wrong

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Willa Rogers posted:

quote:

Each of these TikTokkers’ meetings was coordinated by White House deputy director of partnerships, Morgan MacNaughton, who herself has a background with the company. She was hired away last year from Palette, a social media talent management company that specializes in TikTok personalities. While there, MacNaughton helped found the political group “TikTok for Biden” (since renamed “Gen-Z for Change”).

The entire text of Bullshit Jobs should be tattooed onto every member of the Biden administration.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

there were dingdongs in the dnd palestine thread scolding about chairman xi's tiktok propaganda threat while reposting the debunked nyt hamas rape hoax article for the 4th time

I always lose sight of what dingdongs believe, jfc. That bad eh?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I always lose sight of what dingdongs believe, jfc. That bad eh?

when enough people shouted down the nyt article, somebody posted a different article saying well what about THIS? ... and it used all the exact same "sources" lol

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

lmao that Fetterman is doing the Helldivers DEMOCRACY thing unironically

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
will bytedance challenge it in court

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

i'm not even greedy, i'll take just the $8 billion

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Zippy the Bummer posted:

will bytedance challenge it in court

I could be wrong, but I can't imagine the US government of today having the capacity to enforce the TikTok sale/ban in any way. I am 100% sure that when the rubber meets the road and the US government is faced with the active intervention in an actual business the people that run this country are going to hit the brakes hard. No amount of nationalism is going to make that kind of precedent worthwhile to them.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Stringent posted:

I could be wrong, but I can't imagine the US government of today having the capacity to enforce the TikTok sale/ban in any way. I am 100% sure that when the rubber meets the road and the US government is faced with the active intervention in an actual business the people that run this country are going to hit the brakes hard. No amount of nationalism is going to make that kind of precedent worthwhile to them.

https://time.com/6123962/jamie-dimon-jp-morgan-apologizes-china/

I hope you're right, but when Jamie Dimon, the CEO of JPMorgan Chase, made a "joke" about JPMorgan outlasting the Chinese Communist Party, they made him loving apologize for it. So I can see the people that run finance in this company going along with the TikTok ban even if they lose money because they do not like being told what to do.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[ALL WOMEN]
Stressin’

Blessin’

Oooh

Oooh

Oooh

Oooh

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the thing about "they want to ban TikTok because of all the pro-Palestine content on it" is that how does that reconcile with Twitter? I mean I guess you could claim that the userbase has declined significantly since Musk's takeover, but it's also incontrovertible that there's a lot of pro-Palestine content on it also

it's almost certainly the case that the TikTok ban is still primarily motivated by reasons of economic protectionism: the USA does not want the most-used social media platform to be a non-American social media platform. And we know this because they were already trying to ban TikTok prior to Oct 7; we already had state governments banning TikTok from government-issued phones prior to Oct 7

the intersection with Israel-Palestine just happened to give the initiative a big push

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

when enough people shouted down the nyt article, somebody posted a different article saying well what about THIS? ... and it used all the exact same "sources" lol
same thing happened with tara reade where that loving vox article be linked again and again or some new report would pop up that used the vox one for its source

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

gradenko_2000 posted:

the thing about "they want to ban TikTok because of all the pro-Palestine content on it" is that how does that reconcile with Twitter? I mean I guess you could claim that the userbase has declined significantly since Musk's takeover, but it's also incontrovertible that there's a lot of pro-Palestine content on it also

it's almost certainly the case that the TikTok ban is still primarily motivated by reasons of economic protectionism: the USA does not want the most-used social media platform to be a non-American social media platform. And we know this because they were already trying to ban TikTok prior to Oct 7; we already had state governments banning TikTok from government-issued phones prior to Oct 7

the intersection with Israel-Palestine just happened to give the initiative a big push

It's because, like you said, Twitter isn't "it" anymore.
They're trying to punish young people for protesting the wrong things, and that means going after the most popular platform.

Could have been Twitter years ago, it's TikTok today, it'll be something else in a couple years when Gen Z gets replaced by the next age group.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The party told you to believe that the leader's uncle had been eaten by cannibals. It was their final, most essential command.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The party told you to believe that the leader's uncle had been eaten by cannibals. It was their final, most essential command.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

its a bit of both. twitter is ok because the capitalist classes know they can demand and receive censorship of topics that threaten them, tiktok isn't because they can't

i/p is more of a catalyst, yes, but it's also exactly the kind of topic that they need to be able to shut down by force

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1781120448186462407

emphasis mine, in light of the current and on-going prosecution of dissidents, up to and including just today
it's like a crystall ball for dissent in the trump presidency
https://twitter.com/prem_thakker/status/1782969014974599641

https://twitter.com/palyouthmvmt/status/1782815930457673873

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1782920301052911713

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1782915027344801997

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1782897402237657122

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1782891226611470739

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

bernie panders
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1782831154321666493

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

They’re not coming after TikTok because of people sharing Gaza videos. It’s classic trade protectionism. TikTok is eating the FANG’s lunch. Congress already did this same game when they forced TikTok to pay an assload of money to Oracle to host content.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

liberals threaten expulsion for protesting genocide
https://twitter.com/AliAbunimah/status/1782862396043694527

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fwiw Rubio voted no

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Stringent posted:

please refer to this retruth on why the american business community would support banning tiktok

american businessmen in general are more than happy to oblige legislation targeted at reducing or removing competition from the orientals

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

tucker carlson: "the most far reaching act of censorship in the history of the united states"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGlwmNb9SWU

maddow: Trump's TikTok flip-flop follows disturbing pattern
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymAZYz-6UL4

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i really didnt call the NEastern Ivies doing a Kent State out of hysterical panic at the idea of their bottom lines being threatened, yet here we are

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I am a little surprised they seem to be really going through with this TikTok ban but I shouldn't be.

paranoid randroid posted:

i really didnt call the NEastern Ivies doing a Kent State out of hysterical panic at the idea of their bottom lines being threatened, yet here we are

this too yeah

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Nichael posted:

I am a little surprised they seem to be really going through with this TikTok ban but I shouldn't be.

This too yeah

The Empire needs a victory, and it will take every one of the dumbest options available to it until it can pretend it got one.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lmao you can ban tiktok all you want because China is eating your lunch it's not going to change anything. China is curb stomping the Great Satan, The United $nakes of AmeriKKKa because they do basic poo poo like feed, house, educate and provide medicine to their people. America is ripping the studs and the wiring out of their house for scrap and wondering why it's falling down. fuckin' honkeys lmao

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Biden's total, unconditional support for Israel is by itself more evil than anything Trump did in 4 years of office

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

tiktok flipflop

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

spacemang_spliff posted:

lmao you can ban tiktok all you want because China is eating your lunch it's not going to change anything. China is curb stomping the Great Satan, The United $nakes of AmeriKKKa because they do basic poo poo like feed, house, educate and provide medicine to their people. America is ripping the studs and the wiring out of their house for scrap and wondering why it's falling down. fuckin' honkeys lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think they're just resigned to the coming losses and are treating this as an opportunity to ram through as many lovely unpopular things as possible. No Democrats who matter will lose, and after three years of Trump the populace will have forgotten and they can resume campaigning with a blank slate.

I think that's the reasoning, at least.