Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
so use debian. i'd imagine that throwing a few breadcrumbs to some debian developers is a lot cheaper than negotiating a support contract with ibm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i found debian like uhhhh 20ish years ago and just don't use anything else for my real computers. I've got Ubuntu on a little 8th gen intel Latitude, for shits and grins. It works fine if you're salty about windows or whatever. Even plays sound. I barely use it though, that gamer laptop is so much goofier and the screen is amazing

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if somebody made a debian-based ostree distribution then i'd use that instead, apt is a lot better than dnf these days and unlike ibm corp european internet communists give zero fucks about h264 patents.

hell if the gnome project put together a security and release team for gnome os then i'd use that, it actually seems fairly usable and the whole "freedesktop sdk" thing that it's built on is a stealth completely-independent distro in its own right.

anyway this isn't the linux thread

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so i should just stay on centos 7 forever is what i'm hearing, ok

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

so i should just stay on centos 7 forever is what i'm hearing, ok

you’ll be in good company, no doubt.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

post hole digger posted:

you’ll be in good company, no doubt.

didn't realize gwen stefani was a centos user all this time.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Shifty Pony posted:

ENGAGE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO ENGAGE CONTENT SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD ENGAGEMENT WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE LOVE I FEEL FOR BRANDS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. LIKE. SUBSCRIBE.

same

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
so the house and senate passed the tick tock ban or, more likely, forced sale. very cool and good to see that if we can't compete within the market we'll just take what we want from or just kill the other guy

unironically normal capitalist behavior

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Beeftweeter posted:

so the house and senate passed the tick tock ban or, more likely, forced sale. very cool and good to see that if we can't compete within the market we'll just take what we want from or just kill the other guy

unironically normal capitalist behavior

the prc literally doesn't allow americans in their market, it's tit for tat behavior

they can't ban facebook, insta, reddit, youtube, or twitter any more than they have because they have literally banned all those already. vpn circumvention routine, ofc

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 24, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the prc literally doesn't allow americans in their market, it's tit for tat behavior

they can't ban facebook, insta, reddit, youtube, or twitter any more than they have because they have literally banned all those already. vpn circumvention routine, ofc

it's not that simple. it's taking a successful business that mostly funneled profits overseas and likely forcing it to find an american buyer, asap. it's not going to shut down or be blocked unless they refuse a sale, which they probably won't, if the company isn't seized by the trump administration or something

then only most of the profits will end up overseas

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so it's more generous than the prc's behavior with respect to american companies, then

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

quote:

As I’ve argued previously, we — with good reason — continually complain about the state of Twitter under Elon Musk, but I’d argue Raghavan (and, by extension, Google CEO Sundar Pichai) deserve as much criticism, if not more, for the damage they’ve done to society. Because Google is the ultimate essential piece of online infrastructure, just like power lines and water mains are in the physical realm.

Raghavan and his cronies worked to oust Ben Gomes, a man who dedicated a good portion of his life to making the world’s information more accessible, in the process burning the Library of Alexandria to the ground so that Pichai could make more than 200 million dollars a year.

And Raghavan — a manager, hired by Sundar Pichai, a former McKinsey man and a manager by trade — is an example of everything wrong with the tech industry. Despite his history as a true computer scientist with actual academic credentials, Raghavan chose to bulldoze actual workers and replace them with toadies that would make Google more profitable and less useful to the world at large.

https://www.wheresyoured.at/the-men-who-killed-google/

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

so it's more generous than the prc's behavior with respect to american companies, then

american companies aren't allowed in their marketplace. we know that, they know that (it's their policy, it's supposed to be there!). we're generally not in the business of (see what i did there) kicking companies out of the marketplace because they have 1% state backing by the prc

this sets a really bad precedent

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that means america is bandwagoning into a policy that literally the entirety of east asia has and has had for decades, pretty much, yes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

that means america is bandwagoning into a policy that literally the entirety of east asia has and has had for decades, pretty much, yes

they also have a policy of arbitrarily seizing control of companies, but haven't really exercised that on ostensibly american ones (you know, those joint ventures). they're probably going to start, and that's going to give a huge advantage to european companies too

it's really dumb

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

well we gotta get the economies disentangled enough to have cold war 2 somehow

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
what european consumer internet? european consumer internet is a joke and has been for basically the entire existence of the internet

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shame Boy posted:

that's not really possible lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Beeftweeter posted:

that's not really possible lol

they absolutely did equivalent disentangling in the 1910s and 1930s, which this basically a repeat of

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

what european consumer internet? european consumer internet is a joke and has been for basically the entire existence of the internet

they're not going to limit it to internet companies or particularly blocking websites, they already do that. not that there's a ton of american industry anymore but we do sell a ton of poo poo in asia and those companies have chinese joint ventures

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

they absolutely did equivalent disentangling in the 1910s and 1930s, which this basically a repeat of

there wasn't anywhere near the level of integration we have today. it'd take decades, and wars don't wait

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

american companies aren't allowed in their marketplace. we know that, they know that (it's their policy, it's supposed to be there!). we're generally not in the business of (see what i did there) kicking companies out of the marketplace because they have 1% state backing by the prc

this sets a really bad precedent

there's no such thing as 1% state backing by the prc, come on

the us government goes up to tim apple and says "we want a backdoor in iMessage", tim can say "no" without being afraid that anything bad will happen to him, his company, or his family.

the prc asks the same to tiktok, and there's an implicit threat. jack ma didn't go in exile for the hell of it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ahh the promised land

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Eeyo posted:

ahh the promised land

no, it means they're subject colonial-style to usa tech majors

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

having not read anything about it or china, i'm just going to assume the whole tiktok thing will blow over in a couple months

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

no, it means they're subject colonial-style to usa tech majors

ahh the land adjacent to the promised land

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

there's no such thing as 1% state backing by the prc, come on

the us government goes up to tim apple and says "we want a backdoor in iMessage", tim can say "no" without being afraid that anything bad will happen to him, his company, or his family.

the prc asks the same to tiktok, and there's an implicit threat. jack ma didn't go in exile for the hell of it.

if either government leaned on someone from either country it'd have the same result. maybe moreso if it were from their ostensible enemy

and i say ostensible because, again, there's no evidence the us tiktok has done anything more nefarious than our domestic social media companies. less, maybe, because they're under an actual microscope instead of the fake one the domestic companies get

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's also a 1% golden share so it's not exactly equivalent to "just" 1% backing, to be clear

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
88 golden shares lead the road to prosperity! trump voters and chinese politicians agree

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
more like 88 golden arsches

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
love how congress is worrying about meme websites way more than people loving dying of starvation and fent in the streets and we have nazis in f350s rolling coal and bullets on minorities who gives a gently caress about tiktok rofl

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

congress should also ban facebook and twitter

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beeftweeter posted:

there wasn't anywhere near the level of integration we have today. it'd take decades, and wars don't wait

have you asked nicely?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

pseudorandom name posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pseudorandom name posted:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Pinterest Mom posted:

the us government just gets a five eyes country to pass a law requiring encryption bypass instead.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

it's a good read, but it's probably not as engaging as whatever's happening with tiktok

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Eeyo posted:

ahh the land adjacent to the promised land
:canada:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

ugh I hate remakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
will snapdragon x make windows on arm viable?

no