Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHPCpso-Fr0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
finally got around to installing hzd2 pc, should i do hard or very hard? like does it actually feel rewarding or is it just bulletsponge +HP multipliers? iirc hzd ultra was kinda just frustratingly stupid

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Xaris posted:

finally got around to installing hzd2 pc, should i do hard or very hard? like does it actually feel rewarding or is it just bulletsponge +HP multipliers? iirc hzd ultra was kinda just frustratingly stupid

isn't it just shoot the huge glowing weakpoint regardless

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Xaris posted:

i think hard is fine so far. very hard was insanely masochistic from what i tried. the beginning of the game kind of sucks but stick through it, its v good

Al! posted:

nope
*contemptuous hair flip*

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've never played a videogame on hard and god willing I never will

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
One of the ways New Vegas is better than its peers is that increasing the difficulty doesn't increase your XP gains, nor does making it easier let you earn less.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

maybe? there was a bit more to it in hzd1 but sometimes it's not great if all im doing is needing to shoot glowing weak point 30x vs 15x and that's all a difficulty slider does. anyways I see it has on-the-fly option so i'll start with VH and roll with it for now

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I generally play console-ports on hard just because they're usually a lot easier on PC, or just aren't even the slightest bit challenging to start with.

I liked Alan Wake 2 or RE4/RE2make/etc on hard, it felt like it added to the game. likewise games like Wind Waker HD benefited from having a hard mode which was quite good. likewise something like Doom 2016/Eternal on UV/Nightmare felt rewarding amping up the frantic pace. but i don't like if all it does is just make things bulletspongey (cough Borderlands)

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:51 on Apr 24, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I play on Hard because I enjoy a challenge

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Games where the story feels like it needs some sense of adversity don't feel right when they're too easy

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Ytlaya posted:

Between this and Dragon's Dogma 2 I think that a very specific form of janky game is appealing to me for some reason.

hello henry!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

we could tell

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Rimworld good.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

go to rituals in 0.5. why are they disabled in 0.6? woke maybe ?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Death Stranding is more fun and less grindy on hard/very hard, they did a good job. It's not really that much more difficult, perhaps inconvenient is the word but your rewards scale which is very welcome if things are becoming monotonous. So yes, if you're looking for additional inconvenience to reduce the monotony of a game and potentially increase the in-game rewards -- consider cranking up the difficulty.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Very pleased to have succeeded at my (quest Mysterious Ways) hungover sermon in Kingdom Come. Apparently it's possible to gently caress it up, and it seems like I only barely met the stat thresholds to pass all the checks. I feel like it would have been a bummer to end that whole segment with loving up and everyone being disappointed in me, so I'm happy that didn't happen. I wonder if you skip that whole scenario (or if it becomes optional) if you manage to pass one of the earlier stat checks to get the priest to reveal the confessional info.

I also learned the Master Strike after finally returning to Rattay and doing a bunch of training, so that'll be fun to mess around with next time I find myself in combat.

All my armor is broke though (one because I mistakenly wore it during a training session), and I'm not sure how to reasonably get new stuff. Decent armor/weapons seem to cost a ton (I've saved up like 900, but I don't think that's close to enough), and just keeping stuff repaired seems expensive. I'm not aware of any specific places I can go to kill bandits or whatever.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Very pleased to have succeeded at my (quest Mysterious Ways) hungover sermon in Kingdom Come. Apparently it's possible to gently caress it up, and it seems like I only barely met the stat thresholds to pass all the checks. I feel like it would have been a bummer to end that whole segment with loving up and everyone being disappointed in me, so I'm happy that didn't happen. I wonder if you skip that whole scenario (or if it becomes optional) if you manage to pass one of the earlier stat checks to get the priest to reveal the confessional info.

I also learned the Master Strike after finally returning to Rattay and doing a bunch of training, so that'll be fun to mess around with next time I find myself in combat.

All my armor is broke though (one because I mistakenly wore it during a training session), and I'm not sure how to reasonably get new stuff. Decent armor/weapons seem to cost a ton (I've saved up like 900, but I don't think that's close to enough), and just keeping stuff repaired seems expensive. I'm not aware of any specific places I can go to kill bandits or whatever.

You can indeed skip the whole drunk priest thing if you're skilled enough to convince him to give you the info first time. I did it on my second playthrough; it actually kinda sucks, you lose out on the entire scene, and you can't choose not to make the persuasion attempt so if you put off the main quest for too long you can't hang with Father Godwin.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Agnostalgia posted:

You can indeed skip the whole drunk priest thing if you're skilled enough to convince him to give you the info first time. I did it on my second playthrough; it actually kinda sucks, you lose out on the entire scene, and you can't choose not to make the persuasion attempt so if you put off the main quest for too long you can't hang with Father Godwin.

drat that sucks. At least most people probably won't be able to pass the earlier check.

I think I may have actually just been lucky enough to have stats low enough to fail the first check but high enough to pass the later events. I feel like the "average" player experience if you beeline main quests would probably cause you to fail both. I had some bonuses like the +2 charisma from herbalism and I chose the speech bonuses at the very beginning of the game.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
you can either pay someone to repair your stuff or, ideally, buy repair kits and start raising your maintenance skill

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rudecyrus posted:

you can either pay someone to repair your stuff or, ideally, buy repair kits and start raising your maintenance skill

I think I'll do this, since I can at least afford those now (though I'll still need to buy some armor first, since mine is too damaged for me to repair manually and kinda lovely to begin with).

Also might do some more lockpicking since I can do Easy ones fairly reliably now (I have to hold the right analog stick with 2-3 fingers like it's a joystick to do this, though).

Edit: Are regular repair kits more cost-effective than small ones?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I think the large kits are just 3 (or whatever) times the durability for 3 times the price, they might be more weight-efficient to carry around though. I basically just grabbed all the tailor's or armorer's kits I saw, stuff deteriorates really fast if you're fighting.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Ytlaya posted:

lockpicking

criminal scum

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Didn't do much significant Space Rangering last night, though I paid off my Ancient Mysterious Spaceship Hull loan at the Business Center, they're the real pirates amirite

Wasteland, I did some poo poo in Quartz, the first real city you probably go to. It's a pretty freeform open world in its base state so you can literally go (almost) anywhere at the start of the game (and then probably die horribly). The remastered version offers a basic quest log but you don't necessarily have to pay attention to it.

I'd actually been to Quartz earlier to go shopping and sell off excess gear, but now I'm here for real. Most buildings are described as 'Abandoned Shack' or "Decrepit Building' with nothing but flavor text inside. (These were MUCH MORE ANNOYING when dealing with C64 load times back in the day.) There are actual (if vague) questlines in most settlements though, and Quartz is no exception. You get sent here with a delivery from the Rail Nomads for someone called Head Crusher, who we find in the local bar, where we coincidentally hear about what's going on in town. And what's going on in town is that a gangster called Ugly has taken over and is holding the Mayor prisoner. And we are bad enough dudes (non-gender-specific) to rescue the Mayor, I guess.

A few riddles and coded flirtations later, and we're given a room key at the local hotel (not what you think). We also make our delivery to Head Crusher and get a password to use with the Rail Nomads. At the hotel, we make our way to Room 18 to meet up with the barmaid's friend who has some gear and info about the fortified courthouse for us.

(Not mentioned, the approximately eight trillion fights we get into along the way.)

Before we move on, we circle back to the Rail Nomad camp. Our password CATERPILLAR gets us a tip about some treasure from one clan, a bit of zoological confusion from another, and a huge fight from a third.

We sneak into the courthouse and murder our way to the second floor, where we rescue Dan Citrine, who Ugly's lieutenants were torturing for information. This nets us a cool $1000 on the third floor, as well as a safe combination. We also rescue Mayor Pedros, whose wife is being held prisoner in the gang's main HQ, which is where I quit for the night.

The game's not super-sophisticated by modern standards but the way you can use various skills and items and such to bypass or alter encounters was pretty revolutionary at the time. (Hell, the way that things you did were added to the save state rather than resetting every time you reloaded the area was pretty revolutionary and was in fact a selling point of the game.)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Less than a day until SaGa is upon us, friends.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

palindrome posted:

Death Stranding is more fun and less grindy on hard/very hard, they did a good job. It's not really that much more difficult, perhaps inconvenient is the word but your rewards scale which is very welcome if things are becoming monotonous. So yes, if you're looking for additional inconvenience to reduce the monotony of a game and potentially increase the in-game rewards -- consider cranking up the difficulty.

I just don't get the point of making a game take twice as long to be half as fun

Mastering the mechanics of a game give me no joy. The grind and failure and grind and failure until you eke out wins is just repetition, I'd rather spend that frustration getting good at real world hobbies I have and save games for relaxation

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Mastering the mechanics of a game give me no joy.

disgraceful

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I just don't get the point of making a game take twice as long to be half as fun

Mastering the mechanics of a game give me no joy. The grind and failure and grind and failure until you eke out wins is just repetition, I'd rather spend that frustration getting good at real world hobbies I have and save games for relaxation

sounds like you're broken inside op

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
to say that in response to a post about the difficulty levels in Death Stranding, which are perfect...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The original Thief is one of the few games I turned up to max difficulty because the difficulty settings actually added additional areas and treasures to levels.

I usually find 'one tick above whatever the game calls Normal Difficulty' is the sweet spot for me, a good balance of challenge/engagement and Not A Tedious Chore. I appreciate games the most where you can fine-tune various difficulty aspects though, whether through in-game systems or mods. Like maybe I want more and tougher combat encounters, but don't want my weapons to break twice as fast, or whatever, and a game that caters to my bullshit (or can be made to) will usually find a special place in my heart.

e. None of this is about Death Stranding, which I shamefully have yet to play

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Played a bit of CrossCode yesterday. Seems cute and fun.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i downloaded fallout new vegas again and i'm gonna mod the gently caress out of it and play it couch co-op style with my wife I think

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i downloaded fallout new vegas again and i'm gonna mod the gently caress out of it and play it couch co-op style with my wife I think

hell yes

semper games

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

drake no: constantly fiddling with mods

drake yes: constantly fiddling with reshade

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i got turds that jingle jangle jingle
and my rear end farts merrily along

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

hell yes

semper games

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Mastering the mechanics of a game give me no joy.

drat, that sucks for you

hope you can move past that some day

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Srice posted:

Less than a day until SaGa is upon us, friends.

Dang, too many good games.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

You can just skip that one.

That's one way of dealing with the too many games problem. Considering this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I do enjoy when a game's higher difficulties involve more "consequences for loving up" and less "intolerable bullshit" but that's kind of rare in my experience so I'm a Normal gamer for the most part

my first time through BG3 I even turned it down to Easy for a little while on my first playthrough (around the beginning of act 2, when there's not enough side content and the level curve is a little tough); for the second and third playthroughs I had fully broken the system with bullshit builds though so this wasn't necessary