Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Dr. Cool Aids)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hi BritGoons

I'm heading out to Manchester for a couple of days in early May.

Plan to check out John Ryland's library and/oe Chetham's Library because I'm a massive nerd and probably the People's Museum because I'm a filthy godless communist and union man.

Anything else I absolutely need to check out?

If you like cute amphibians and reptiles, then the vivarium at the Manchester Museum is really great. So many cute little frogs. https://www.museum.manchester.ac.uk/collections/vivarium/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hi BritGoons

Plan to check out John Ryland's library and/oe Chetham's Library because I'm a massive nerd and probably the People's Museum because I'm a filthy godless communist and union man.

I've seen 24 Hour Party People countless times and I hear the Hacienda is a row of luxury flats now which is tragicomic.

My only previous experience with the UK is a few days in Edinburgh, which was wonderful if a bit touristy, pre-Covid and a very dull stopover in Stansted a couple years back.

I went to a conference thing here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/jHMG3ZvmoHLdC9Uq5 at the Museum of Science and Industry which was v cool if you like that kind of thing

Rudy's Pizza came highly recommended by a colleague when I was there but never went so can't vouch for it

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You're going to two other libraries, but not the Central Library? Make it a trilogy!

I guess it isn't quite as cool as the other two, but I have to go there in a couple of days to donate some ancient retail catalogues to their archives.

Manchester Museum is great, and the eighth day is good and close to it if you want some vegan food.

Maybe a night out in the gay village?

^ edit oh yeah, go to the MOSI. They also wanted these catalogues, but couldn't take them because they're renovating their archives or something at the moment.

Make sure you charge your phone and load up google maps beforehand, manchester is very spread out. But there are free busses that can get you around, and the metrolink is all fancy now, so that's cool.

You should also check out the Royal Exchange Theatre if you're going past st annes square, it's a cool place.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 23, 2024

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you're going to the peoples museum then eat at Dishoom, which is nearby

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nettle Soup posted:

You're going to two other libraries, but not the Central Library? Make it a trilogy!

I mainly went for the M.R. Jamesian spooky libraries where I might stumble into some forbidden knowledge in an ancient tome and pay a horrible price

I'm trying to get a chance to page through an actual centuries old grimoire but it remains to be seen if I'm even allowed.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I'm actually pretty excited about trying Indian food in Britain since I hear it's the second best to actual India.

Though we have surprisingly good Indian food here in Iceland. One of the biggest Indian places here lists their cooks and which state of India they are from on their menu which I take as a sign of authenticity and hopefully qualify.

But I imagine that it's probably much better in the UK where Indian food has been a staple for over a century and not just 20 or so years so even the Indian chefs don't have to tone things down as much.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Have a cocktail at blinker bar

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

If you really want indian food, there's also the curry mile, but it's a bit out of the way to get there.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 24, 2024

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Nettle Soup posted:

If you really want indian food, there's also the curry mile, but it's a bit out of the way to get there.

1 20 minute bus ride from the centre?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Had a miserable plate of fish and chips for dinner in :911: and now I miss the long gone Castle Chippy on Blackfriars Road in Salford.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I had miscellaneous beige nonsense from the back of the freezer

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

kecske posted:

I had miscellaneous beige nonsense from the back of the freezer

But enough about your posts

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Nettle Soup posted:

Not really much of a "curry" mile now since it's mostly all kebab places. Mughli wasn't too bad but lol London prices. Better bet is to just pick a random Indian somewhere on the outskirts I guess.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Solefald posted:

Better bet is to just pick a random Indian somewhere on the outskirts I guess.

Remember to ask for his name

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I know the uk has had a curry house tradition for a long time but idk if that translates to universal excellence or just an accepted level of mediocrity. lotta curry mile places ain't that great, (lol Shere khan) and when I think of places that are fantastic (dishoom, bundobust) they ain't exactly curry houses

that said there are obviously good ones. used to love the darbar pre-covid and I think kathmandu in wythenshawe was surprisingly great, but you may struggle to find great ones in the centre

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Solefald posted:

Mughli wasn't too bad

Used to go here all the time when I first met my wife and she lived nearby. It was indeed good, but then it changed.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Solefald posted:

Not really much of a "curry" mile now since it's mostly all kebab places. Mughli wasn't too bad but lol London prices. Better bet is to just pick a random Indian somewhere on the outskirts I guess.

Need to do curry based kebabs, lamb kebab, masala sauce, crushed onion bhaji wrapped in naan. Love em.

Also why is it still loving cold?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I first met my wife and she lived nearby. It was indeed good, but then it changed.

Communication is the most important thing mate

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Shame, I haven't been back there in a long time, but I guess even when I was at college there it was mostly turning into chicken shops.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hi BritGoons

I've seen 24 Hour Party People countless times and I hear the Hacienda is a row of luxury flats now which is tragicomic.

My only previous experience with the UK is a few days in Edinburgh, which was wonderful if a bit touristy, pre-Covid and a very dull stopover in Stansted a couple years back.

I lived in Manchester a decade ago so let me suggest a few things to see and do:

Try the beer at the Marble Arch on Rochdale Road. It's a bit north of the downtown but the beer is excellent.

The Manchester Art Gallery is also a must. It's a couple blocks from Piccadilly Circus and while it's small, there's some really neat paintings there. Other cool museums are the People's History Museum and the Science and Industry Museum. If you like really ancient things there's a partially-reconstructed Roman fortress off Liverpool Road in Castlefield (Castlefield is indirectly named after the old Roman fort). If you can get up to Bolton there's a combination museum, aquarium and archive that's worth a look too.

The best pub in the Northern Quarter is the Trof on Thomas Street. Right next door down the alley is This & That, a famous no frills curry place which is cheap and tasty. Go there at least once during your visit. Other great restaurants that are still around from my time there are the Armenian Taverna and Mr. Thomas's Chop House (try the French onion soup). There's also Curry Mile which I'm sure others have mentioned. It's not too hard to reach from downtown if you're handy with bus routes.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

if you can find a south indian keralan restaurant I highly recommend, dosa is loving amazing

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I lived in Mancheter next to the curry mile (Rusholme and then Withington) for a couple of years at uni and the best food is Caspian in Rusholme. It's an Iranian kebab place run by a chap called Maz.

Assuming it is still there, get the chelo kebab, with lamb fillet and rice (not naan).

Disclaimer - This information is from 20 years ago.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dysgenesis posted:

I lived in Mancheter next to the curry mile (Rusholme and then Withington) for a couple of years at uni and the best food is Caspian in Rusholme. It's an Iranian kebab place run by a chap called Maz.

Assuming it is still there, get the chelo kebab, with lamb fillet and rice (not naan).

Disclaimer - This information is from 20 years ago.

As if these places change even slightly in 2 decades

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

I do love Dishoom. I wish their takeaway menu was a bit bigger though.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Are they not all vape shops now?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
All Dishooms?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Would buy a dishoom flavoured vape

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Dishoom in the morning for a breakfast naan and masala beans :mcrappe:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A LOVELY LAD posted:

:eyepop:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Just landed in Manchester and it was sunnyish? What?

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Just pulled a muscle in my neck taking the bin bag out, postponing all further bin related activities

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

AceClown posted:

if you can find a south indian keralan restaurant I highly recommend, dosa is loving amazing

yeah

sagar in london has a few branches - good cheap intro to the Art of the Pancake

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Just landed in Manchester and it was sunnyish? What?

It's just lulling you into a false sense of security.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

idk if that translates to universal excellence or just an accepted level of mediocrity
its britain take a rough guess

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Dishoom is ace for breakfasts, but for imo for lunch/evening meals at the same kind of price point, Mowgli is better. Can't beat Bundobust though, they're just great all round.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

more like No-gli

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Terrifying murder horse on the BBC front page atm.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Poor Freckles

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Thought of nonce and died

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'm on the train to Cardiff on the way to my friend's funeral. He always used to make fun of BBC Wales for the things that were considered newsworthy, next to the serious politics poo poo you'd get on BBC England or UK.

The train is displaying BBC headlines and one is I poo poo you not 'poodle rescued after getting trapped under kitchen'. Lol. The irony also wasn't lost on me when his death made BBC Wales headlines too, given he'd done some work for them in the past and was eminent in his field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

imagining a builder deciding to tile over a poodle rather than removing it is very brit tradie vibes

e: based purely on 99s thread anyway