Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

The writers, the showrunners, Todd himself have confirmed that the NCR is not gone, like at all

Why do people keep saying this

Like anything entertainment related, I’ll believe it when I see it.

Also “Todd says” is not the win you think is.

TulliusCicero posted:

Other complaints

Calm down, It’s called being disappointed. Just because you don’t care or disagree, doesn’t mean no one is else is allowed to experience it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm more annoyed at the suggestion that having the NCR around is bad for storytelling because a busted rear end democracy is either too boring, depressingly close to real life, or that having them around and showing a more tamed wasteland means I want to watch a lawsuit between feuding cattle barons. I think it would be neat if they did continue to have a strong presence elsewhere in the wasteland and that we actually get to see what the NCR has done in their home territories rather than hear about it via New Vegas or only see a brief flashback and then the aftermath of a nuke in the show.

I don't mind the NCR getting nuked, I like the show and I like that option in Lonesome Road. I think it's dumb that Shady Sands is in the wrong location but whatever, they could have done all of SoCal but they chose LA only and it doesn't make a big difference. I do want to see them show up again in the future rather than Moldaver's LA holdouts being the last they appear in the story.

I think they will honestly

The NCR and Maxson's Brotherhood seem to be in a state of war, it makes sense BOS Hitler would go back West and re-open the war on their "hated enemy'", especially If it got around they got substantially weakened.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 24, 2024

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
A resurgent NCR-BOS conflict should really be the topic of an actual game, and not Goosey's Bizarre Adventures.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BoS arriving immediately after Shady Sands to mop up survivors could actually mean that Lucy's dad was telling the truth?

He wasn't happy about the family situation but there's a chance S2 has him on an unlikely redemption arc to win over his daughter by convincing her he's not a monster.

Which is also a 1:1 parallel for what they've set the ghoul's up for next season.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

You know what, I'd be doing a disservice if I didn't plug SODAZ, a hobbyist animator who like to make action animation sequences based on his favorite video games. Right now his current project is animating the NCR assault on the BoS controlled Helios One power plant that happens before New Vegas. It's still a WIP, but what he has is pretty far along, and what there is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOtFE3lw8KI&t=2s

It's split into part, but I recommend a watch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Next episode is gonna feature a Sentry Bot so I'm wondering if Sodaz is getting to the end of the battle when the BOS activated Helios One's defense system on their way out as a gently caress you to the NCR.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Argas posted:

It's more that Americans can't help but think that the guys with cool military poo poo are also the good guys. It doesn't help that Bethesda game design means that you can help the Brotherhood do bad poo poo and then completely divorce yourself from it with no consequences. Committing to any faction barely matters.

BoS are not the good guys in any game but 3

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RangerKarl posted:

A resurgent NCR-BOS conflict should really be the topic of an actual game, and not Goosey's Bizarre Adventures.

If Bethesda (Todd) has a master plan, I'm guessing they want the show to keep going and tell the West Coast story and they would continue making relatively separate stories on the East

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

BrotherJayne posted:

I mean no poo poo

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

And the Brotherhood of Steel in 3 were defying their principles at the behest of Elder Lyons, which lead to a schism and the formation of a splinter group dedicated to being assholes.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If Bethesda (Todd) has a master plan, I'm guessing they want the show to keep going and tell the West Coast story and they would continue making relatively separate stories on the East

I think the TV series' story is going to move across the continent, if the trajectory going to New Vegas is of any indication. I'd be surprised if they spent more time on Paladin Maximus' conflict between what his heart wants and what the Brotherhood wants than on Lucy's quest.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

pseudorandom name posted:

And the Brotherhood of Steel in 3 were defying their principles at the behest of Elder Lyons, which lead to a schism and the formation of a splinter group dedicated to being assholes.

*dedicated to being a different flavor of rear end in a top hat

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Did people not watch the final episode because there were lots of people running around with NCR flags and also a scene towards the end with lots of lights turning on which was very explicitly there to show you that actually in the Wasteland people and civilisation were thriving far more than first meets the eye.

The show did not blow up the NCR. The show makes it clear the NCR is very much still a thing.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Alchenar posted:

Did people not watch the final episode because there were lots of people running around with NCR flags and also a scene towards the end with lots of lights turning on which was very explicitly there to show you that actually in the Wasteland people and civilisation were thriving far more than first meets the eye.

The show did not blow up the NCR. The show makes it clear the NCR is very much still a thing.

Why are you pointing out that the NCR is totally still around (like the show did multiple times)

Don't you know that Todd Howard is a horrible person that personally made Chris Avellone cry?

But yes, you are correct

The reason Moldaver wants to get cold fusion going is it's clear the NCR needs it. Hence her end justifies the means mentality.

Back Hack posted:

Like anything entertainment related, I’ll believe it when I see it.

Also “Todd says” is not the win you think is.

Calm down, It’s called being disappointed. Just because you don’t care or disagree, doesn’t mean no one is else is allowed to experience it.

Lmao what

I'm saying everyone involved in the project, literally everyone including the guy that currently directly decides the direction of the games says the NCR is still around. As well as the show.

I also noticed you conveniently changed my post about the NCR in NV explicitly stated to be doing the exact same things that brought down the Pre-War US, but yes just complaining.

You can be sad about the NCR I guess, that's fine.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 24, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The NCR's part is probably not done here, after all, we are going to finally find out what actually happened in Vegas

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if the Tenpenny suite was worth erasing Shady Sands for, Hank
There was even a female ghoul survivor like what happened back in the Capital Wasteland

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing is if Westworld's storytelling is anything to go by we are going to get a bunch more Moldaver next season despite the fact that she's dead. I want them to be done with the pre-war plot because they've info dumped everything they need to and the remaining 'mysteries' are obvious (Walton Goggins didn't make it into the Vault somehow, his daughter did, Moldaver clearly got cryofrozen for 200 odd years etc) but instead I'd bet we're going to get more 'factions fighting through time' stuff.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alchenar posted:

The thing is if Westworld's storytelling is anything to go by we are going to get a bunch more Moldaver next season despite the fact that she's dead. I want them to be done with the pre-war plot because they've info dumped everything they need to and the remaining 'mysteries' are obvious (Walton Goggins didn't make it into the Vault somehow, his daughter did, Moldaver clearly got cryofrozen for 200 odd years etc) but instead I'd bet we're going to get more 'factions fighting through time' stuff.

I think we'll definitely have at least some sort of follow up on what happened with the ghouls daughter, wither flash back to pre-war or just an explanation, as it's a pretty big character thing, so at this point it would feel a bit weird to forget about the plot line entirly.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Everyone says Moldaver was probably put in cryosleep, but no one mentions cloning as a possible option. It would probably involve Big MT, who have already made an appearance, as they were on the forefront of cloning technology. Also, the Vault 108 experiment showed that with time, clones become more aggressive and violent, which could fit into Moldaver’s character arch.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

dr_rat posted:

I think we'll definitely have at least some sort of follow up on what happened with the ghouls daughter, wither flash back to pre-war or just an explanation, as it's a pretty big character thing, so at this point it would feel a bit weird to forget about the plot line entirly.

We already know everything we need to know. Goggins got separated from this wife and daughter, he doesn't know where they are but he's pretty sure they're frozen in a vault somewhere. He's on a quest to find them. Actually filming that all happening in the pre-war bit doesn't narratively add anything and they can just go straight into Season 2 with that motivation without needing to do anything more.

mclem
Oct 2, 2021

Gaspy Conana posted:

I think the show tries to explain this by having them effectively dormant until the events surrounding the show. That'd at least explain why it hasn't been in the games.

I'd also be willing to bet that the presumed bigger-bad we see silhouetted is someone from the Enclave.

Random thought, because I don't think I've actually seen it explicitly confirmed in the games, but it's been a while and I've not played the later ones fully: Do we actually know what became of the President at the time the bombs dropped?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The president evacuated to the Enclave oil rig at some point before the Great War and was there when the bombs were dropped. After that it's a whole lot of blank space.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Argas posted:

The president evacuated to the Enclave oil rig at some point before the Great War and was there when the bombs were dropped. After that it's a whole lot of blank space.

IIRC neither they nor their cabinet had been seen in public for about six months beforehand.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rougey posted:

IIRC neither they nor their cabinet had been seen in public for about six months beforehand.

They even make mention of that in the show, I believe, talking about how nobody in the press can get to talk to him.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah its a nice little background touch in the IP that for people looking closely the signs of impending nuclear escalation are right there.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

mclem posted:

Random thought, because I don't think I've actually seen it explicitly confirmed in the games, but it's been a while and I've not played the later ones fully: Do we actually know what became of the President at the time the bombs dropped?

You get to meet the POTUS in Fallout 2. Also, Dan Quayle, for some reason.

mclem
Oct 2, 2021

Rappaport posted:

I thought he was the then-current POTUS - at least, in terms of being an administrative high-up in the Enclave - but not the one who was POTUS when the bombs fell? I don't know if my memory's off on that, though!

Edit: Ah, the other posts match my recollection.

mclem fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 24, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Rappaport posted:

I love me a Quayle gag

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/TKsMantis/status/1783013273065112044?t=rpbjDnQNTN6CQl76KtQ3xQ&s=19

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Alchenar posted:

We already know everything we need to know. Goggins got separated from this wife and daughter, he doesn't know where they are but he's pretty sure they're frozen in a vault somewhere. He's on a quest to find them. Actually filming that all happening in the pre-war bit doesn't narratively add anything and they can just go straight into Season 2 with that motivation without needing to do anything more.

I dunno, I think there is a lot of stuff that could be done with him becoming a ghoul, and him trying to survive in the immediate aftermath of the bombs. The daughter stuff would have to be part of it because she was with him when the bombs fell.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno, I think there is a lot of stuff that could be done with him becoming a ghoul, and him trying to survive in the immediate aftermath of the bombs. The daughter stuff would have to be part of it because she was with him when the bombs fell.

Also the horse was with them. He better of saved that fine and brave horse as well!

Horses can fit in a cryo-chamber right?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if Barb has the power to suggest dropping nuclear bombs and ending the world and everyone in the rooms is like "hmm ok, pretty solid plan" I think she would have the power to just hire some goons to kidnap her daughter if she knew the bombs were about to drop. so the daughter being with Goggins when the bombs fall seems kind of strange

this is assuming they split up, he clearly lost his deal with vault-tec if he's doing birthday parties, and Barb is full of vault-tec koolaid

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 24, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hawowanlawow posted:

if Barb has the power to suggest dropping nuclear bombs and ending the world and everyone in the rooms is like "hmm ok, pretty solid plan" I think she would have the power to just hire some goons to kidnap her daughter if she knew the bombs were about to drop. so the daughter being with Goggins when the bombs fall seems kind of strange.

Some people have speculated that Barb and co had plans to start the end of the world but before they got around to doing it China nuked first. This would also explain why House was caught as well.

Could very well be overthinking it, but it does explain those two things quite neatly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe Cooper's spying device gets leaked to China anyways after he gets smeared as a communist and that accelerates their efforts to nuke America.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Also the horse was with them. He better of saved that fine and brave horse as well!

Horses can fit in a cryo-chamber right?

With some creative folding, yes.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Cooper seems to be aware that there's a chance bombs are going to drop soon, because he refuses to do the Vault-Tec thumbs up pose because of how 'things are right now'. So, it's public knowledge that there's a particular risk of nuclear war at that moment. Which suggests to me, vault-tec didn't drop the bombs, along with the kid and Cooper being out there along with all those other rich people at that house. Vault-Tec et al were beating the war drums but somebody beat them to it, it semi-backfired.

Cooper and his wife are probably on the outs considering where his opinions have turned by the end of the season flashbacks and the fact he's doing party gigs. One of the guys are the party calls him a pinko so presumably his anti-vault tec feelings have cost him his career. So, there is at least some period of time between when Barb suggests nuking as a plan and the nukes falling. Although, it can't be much more than a year because the kid looks the same age.

That's how I took it all.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Bigger Shady Sands Theory is a go

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Shady Saands

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean, Nolan could do a rug pull where despite us hearing Vault Tec talk about their evil plan to control the world by dropping nukes first and also hearing about how they reacted to a civilisation they did not control appearing on the surface by nuking it, but I would consider that a bit cheap. I think that reveal is something we are supposed to take on face value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

One of them said in an interview there's still supposed to be some ambiguity there.

I don't think it would be a rug-pull. It'd be an ironic comeuppance for vault-tec. It'd also make the point of 'this is why you don't warmonger'.