Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

like 95% of his wealth is under the court's control and he can't touch it

yeah, he can still afford plane tickets with the remaining 5%, but a civil lawsuit was never going to reduce him to actual rice-and-beans poverty

rest assured that he's still probably pretty bothered about having tens of millions of dollars taken away from him

Pretty sure I was promised a 1.5 billy judgement and now we’re just supposed to be happy with “he’s only worth a few million, see, justice prevails”

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rotinaj posted:

Pretty sure I was promised a 1.5 billy judgement and now we’re just supposed to be happy with “he’s only worth a few million, see, justice prevails”

lol

There's is a $1.5 billion judgment against him, and the courts are laying the groundwork to liquidate all of his assets and property (except for the small portion that will be left to him afterward, because civil lawsuits aren't meant to completely clean someone out). The primary reason it's taken so long is that forensic accountants have been extensively digging through and tracing his finances to find all the money he was trying to hide from the courts.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

If it's not a heart attack, it's a massive stroke.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Outrail posted:

The wheels of justice grind slowly but eventually everyone gets it. Everyone.

The Wheels of Justice are terrifyingly fast when they are crushing the poor.

Main Paineframe posted:

There's is a $1.5 billion judgment against him, and the courts are laying the groundwork to liquidate all of his assets and property (except for the small portion that will be left to him afterward, because civil lawsuits aren't meant to completely clean someone out). The primary reason it's taken so long is that forensic accountants have been extensively digging through and tracing his finances to find all the money he was trying to hide from the courts.

Any day now!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Main Paineframe posted:

Why not give him a tiny allowance to live on to and confiscate everything and continue to confiscate everything as it is discovered?

Like, if a regular person is undergoing bankruptcy process are they allowed to live a luxury lifestyle with the money they owe someone else?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Outrail posted:

Why not give him a tiny allowance to live on to and confiscate everything and continue to confiscate everything as it is discovered?

Like, if a regular person is undergoing bankruptcy process are they allowed to live a luxury lifestyle with the money they owe someone else?

This has been explained.

The courts are famously considerate of a defendant's preferred lifestyle, you see, and will go to great lengths to ensure they do not infringe on your comfort level in any way.

It would be cruel to deprive him of his lifestyle.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The Bible posted:

This has been explained.

The courts are famously considerate of a defendant's preferred lifestyle, you see, and will go to great lengths to ensure they do not infringe on your comfort level in any way.

It would be cruel to deprive him of his lifestyle.

Ah well it's a relief the wheels of justice are turning slowly with compassion towards the most vulnerable members of the wonderful society we've built for ourselves.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Do we actually know anything about these 'forensic accountants?' Like who they work for, or if they have a published timeline? Justice is completely in their hands to fumble at this point.

I have a small hope that they've identify actual financial crimes they can prosecute Jones with and they're slow walking this whole thing while they put their case together.

Probably just huffing the copium though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Stunt-Puffin posted:

Probably just hpuffing the copium though.

come on mate it was right there

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Outrail posted:

If almost all of my money was taken but I left with enough to live a lifestyle beyond the reach of 99% of people I'd be really super duper upset.

Yeah, you would be. Satisfaction with what you have is based on what you recently gained/lost and who you compare yourself to. What your friends and rivals seem to have.

Like the royals that are on the payroll all get a free place to live and a generous allowance. But if you go out of favor you might get swapped to a less prestigious estate, and a smaller allowance -- and be disgruntled as hell about it.

Or at the other end of the spectrum there is social housing. Not actually free, but indexed to income. I was in disabled housing that was half bachelor suits and half 1-bedrooms. Some units had a balcony, 2 had fenced in patios, and then the dark basement suits that only got tiny windows instead of a nice big patio door. The store room lockers were also various shapes and sizes, some obviously better than others. These small variations led to so much angst among the residents. Baring in mind that even the "worst" units were less than half the cost of similar units on the open market. But we weren't comparing ourselves to all the people who had to live in rat infested slums or couldn't find anything at all to rent for $350 a month, we were comparing ourselves to the guy that has the balcony with the best view, or biggest storeroom.

Misery isn't that well correlated to how objectively well-off you are.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, you would be. Satisfaction with what you have is based on what you recently gained/lost and who you compare yourself to. What your friends and rivals seem to have.

That's objectively untrue. The happiest I've ever been was living in a gross share house working a minimum wage job. That was a few years ago. Now I earn a lot more (not alot, but more) and I have lots of stuff and lots of responsibility and I'm loving miserable.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 24, 2024

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Outrail posted:

That's objectively untrue. The happiest I've ever been was living in a gross share house working a minimum wage job. That was a few years ago. Now I earn a lot more (not alot, but more) and I have lots of stuff and lots of responsibility and I'm loving miserable.

I agree with this dude, having lots of money with a high stress job definitely made my life harder than it was before. It’s very strange.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Give me your excess money, then, I will take this burden from you

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Outrail posted:

Right. In the gross share house you compared yourself to those people. As you get more stuff you compare yourself to different people. Your literal net worth has nothing to do with it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Facebook Aunt posted:

Right. In the gross share house you compared yourself to those people. As you get more stuff you compare yourself to different people. Your literal net worth has nothing to do with it.

I'm comparing myself to me, not other people. I make okay money compared to my social group/peers right now. Taking it away wouldn't make me sad if it didn't effect my quality of life.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

You have been saying this for literal years now as Alex continues to drink and smoke and eat himself to death while having precisely none of his quality of life decreased

at this point I am not sure if you have something wrong with your brain or if this is a bit, but the part you fundamentally never seem to even see, much less address is that we all think it is loving bullshit that the system is set up in such a way that a piece of absolute poo poo like Alex who has so fully lost in court has had essentially no punishment, and until the far off date of consequences arrives, which Alex may very well have keeled over dead beforehand from a heart attack, he has gotten away with horrible poo poo

Yes we get that on paper he has lost this case, and yes, we get that eventually, they will clear out granny fuckface’s estate division lawsuit and move on to the next case, making Alex actually feel any real consequences, but it sure makes all this time in between feel like he won the court cases

If this is justice, it is maddening and is some fuckin’ bullshit

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I don't want him to get to keep his current quality of life.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Slyphic posted:

I need some law goons to post about how effective the legal system is at punishing rich white men. They've been scarce lately. Where did they all go?

The Jinx and Robert Durst are in the news again because they made a second season.

There's one uber rich white man who finally got some jail time for his blatant 3 murders after only *checks notes* 33 years

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Stunt-Puffin posted:

Do we actually know anything about these 'forensic accountants?' Like who they work for, or if they have a published timeline? Justice is completely in their hands to fumble at this point.

I have a small hope that they've identify actual financial crimes they can prosecute Jones with and they're slow walking this whole thing while they put their case together.

Probably just huffing the copium though.

Forensic accounting is hard and tedious work. I’m guessing they are good at it but also carefully gathering substantiation so his lawyers can’t argue their findings.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

rotinaj posted:

You have been saying this for literal years now as Alex continues to drink and smoke and eat himself to death while having precisely none of his quality of life decreased

It's been 17 months since the judgement

e: 18 months, my bad.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 24, 2024

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
And have you loving seen the man? Quality of life are not 3 words I would associate with him.

It's an absolute travesty of justice that he's thus far been able to weasel out of paying what he owes for being a huge piece of poo poo but at the end of the day he's still a fat drunk that spends all day yelling about crazy poo poo on the internet millions of dollars or not.

The last thing I remember hearing about his drinking was the video that leaked or was part of one of his trials of him being utterly shitfaced in the office and consuming multiple bottles of vodka a day at work. That's at least 3000 calories a day JUST in hard liquor.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 24, 2024

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

And have you loving seen the man? Quality of life are not 3 words I would associate with him.

It's an absolute travesty of justice that he's thus far been able to weasel out of paying what he owes for being a huge piece of poo poo but at the end of the day he's still a fat drunk that spends all day yelling about crazy poo poo on the internet millions of dollars or not.

The last thing I remember hearing about his drinking was the video that leaked or was part of one of his trials of him being utterly shitfaced in the office and consuming multiple bottles of vodka a day at work. That's at least 3000 calories a day JUST in hard liquor.

One of these days we'll be able to celebrate Jone's sobriety much like we do Rush Limbaugh's.

Seriously: dude's a walking pimple of alcoholism and rage at the world. It's a shock that his heart hasn't exploded like a bomb yet.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

rotinaj posted:

a piece of absolute poo poo like Alex who has so fully lost in court has had essentially no punishment, and until the far off date of consequences arrives, which Alex may very well have keeled over dead beforehand from a heart attack, he has gotten away with horrible poo poo

This is the bit where you miss the point. Say what you will about the justice of the System, but from the System’s point of view, the important thing is not that AJ lost, it’s that he owes people $Texas. And the way to ensure that those people get as close to $Texas as they can is not to throw AJ in an oubliette, but to keep him working and earning more fractions of that $Texas.

The System is not designed to punish people like AJ, but to make sure that most people who are owed money by most normal bankruptcy debtors get as much of that money back as they can. And yes it’s unsatisfying in this case, where that debtor is an obvious scumbag and charlatan who should be ground into a fine paste. But a System that is built for the edge case that is AJ probably also incidentally grounds a lot of people who don’t deserve it into a fine paste. So given that trade off, going with the System that helps the normal case at the expense of the one-in-a-million AJ scenario is an understandable call, much less not a sign of mental illness.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

P good use of oubliette

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

This is the bit where you miss the point. Say what you will about the justice of the System, but from the System’s point of view, the important thing is not that AJ lost, it’s that he owes people $Texas. And the way to ensure that those people get as close to $Texas as they can is not to throw AJ in an oubliette, but to keep him working and earning more fractions of that $Texas.

The System is not designed to punish people like AJ, but to make sure that most people who are owed money by most normal bankruptcy debtors get as much of that money back as they can. And yes it’s unsatisfying in this case, where that debtor is an obvious scumbag and charlatan who should be ground into a fine paste. But a System that is built for the edge case that is AJ probably also incidentally grounds a lot of people who don’t deserve it into a fine paste. So given that trade off, going with the System that helps the normal case at the expense of the one-in-a-million AJ scenario is an understandable call, much less not a sign of mental illness.

The system is designed so that rich people don't have to pay. The only reason AJs debtors stand a chance of ever seeing the money is because AJ is a fruitcake idiot and not making use of all the loopholes and money moving available to him.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are there still cases pending against jones? If so that’s part of the problem. I’m literally in exactly the same situation (except my judgment has a few less zeros) because the bankruptcy court is unlikely to disburse poo poo until they’re all resolved because until they are they don’t know how much should go to whom.

BK court is absolutely designed to protect rich people but at least part of this scenario may be designed to protect other creditors (because they could also be rich people).

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think he's going through a divorce but otherwise no. I assume any media company like InfoWars always has some kind of legal thing going on but nothing major comes to mind.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think he's going through a divorce but otherwise no. I assume any media company like InfoWars always has some kind of legal thing going on but nothing major comes to mind.

Alex has two other law suits just from Mark Bankston, what are you talking about.

Ninja : also, not going through a divorce.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Xiahou Dun posted:

Alex has two other law suits just from Mark Bankston, what are you talking about.

Ninja : also, not going through a divorce.

Obviously the answer to that is I don't know given everything I just said is wrong.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Obviously the answer to that is I don't know given everything I just said is wrong.

Sorry, that was the harshest way to say that.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

He divorced his first wife years ago. They hate each other but I don't know of any serious unresolved legal stuff.

His current wife gets an allowance of $15 grand a month so she mostly goes around doing yoga and posting about how she's married to a prophet. I don't think they are a happy couple and there has been some documented extracurricular activity, but again I don't think there is any divorce happening at the moment.

Unless you mean he's involved in a divorce between Rob Dew and his wife or something.

As far as I know there is still the defamation trial regarding that poor kid who got misidentified as the Boston Bomber? Something along those lines? He died in a really tragic fire a couple years ago but I believe that AJ is involved in the case and it's still moving forward.

Edit: I know I'm really late on this post but I thought I would just add a little more information. Not trying to be a well aktually ur wrong person. I know I misremember things all the time.

Troubadour fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 24, 2024

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

BK court is absolutely designed to protect rich people but at least part of this scenario may be designed to protect other creditors (because they could also be rich people).
What did you do to end up in Burger King court?

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
Lesê-Maburger is serious business

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Knormal posted:

What did you do to end up in Burger King court?

He had it someone else's way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

why is bankrupcty abbreviated as “BK”? Ban Krupcty, like Helico Pter?

Ogma
Jun 6, 2003

Let the festivities commence!

Subjunctive posted:

why is bankrupcty abbreviated as “BK”? Ban Krupcty, like Helico Pter?

It's all in the documents folks. They admit it!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's a clue towards the secret of burger nirvana

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Slyphic posted:

I need some law goons to post about how effective the legal system is at punishing rich white men. They've been scarce lately. Where did they all go?

Lawyers are set to profit off of both rich white men and the broken system of laws that enable them so everything is working just fine I think!

The Bible
May 8, 2010

They aren't getting that money, though. How much did OJ owe? How much did he pay?

quote:

Again, though, no one has gotten any money from him at all, and the system does crush regular Joes into paste on a regular basis, quite swiftly at that. The only person being helped right now is Jones, as the courts are bending over backwards to make sure his standard of living in unaffected by any of this. Where is the protection for his victims?

The system is designed to protect the wealthy and destroy the poor. This should be pretty obvious.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

the way to ensure that those people get as close to $Texas as they can is not to throw AJ in an oubliette, but to keep him working and earning more fractions of that $Texas.
Being paid the maximum amount of a fine over an infinite time span is not the entire extent of justice. Timeliness matters. The pain to the losing party matters every bit as much as whatever recompense the wronged receives.

Don't do this corpo personhood maximimizing shareholder value view of justice. You're better than that.