Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/will-stancil-twitter-mn-house-candidate.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i don't care. you can't make me read about will stancil you stupid rear end in a top hat

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Uncle Wemus posted:

Beutler, for his part, hopes he never logs off: “Half the time, I hope he loses his race so that he can remain a stalwart critic on Twitter, where I feel like his influence is at least as great as a state legislator’s.”
He didn't have to come at state legislatures that hard

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i don't care. you can't make me read about will stancil you stupid rear end in a top hat

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SixteenShells posted:

He didn't have to come at state legislatures that hard

love me some courtier discourse

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They think banning TikTok will solve everything.

How is this actually going to work? Someone has to have mentioned that the kids will just sideload the app, or use a VPN to access it via the web, and that it'll seem even cooler now that you're doing something "illegal" and sticking it to The Man

I mean, I guess teaching kids how to use android's file systems is a net positive...

I am awaiting a redux of that infamously bad Mel Gibson ad about vitamin supplements, with the SWAT team breaking into Charli D’Amelio's mansion and she says "What the heck, I'm just dancing, guys!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6bv92W4YnE

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I hate the term "policy wonk" so much.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

is pepsi ok posted:

policy wank

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

is pepsi ok posted:

Cant say "loving dork" anymore bc of the woke

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if they were wonking themselves about good or ambitious policies but it's always the most reactionary myopic bullshit

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Toph Bei Fong posted:

How is this actually going to work? Someone has to have mentioned that the kids will just sideload the app, or use a VPN to access it via the web, and that it'll seem even cooler now that you're doing something "illegal" and sticking it to The Man
there are many different ways. for example, google and apple can work together to brick the app on their phones like they did with parler, which all the liberals cheered at the time.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

oracle, an american company, can decide to pull the server infrastructure to comply with the law like amazon pulled the servers on parler

all american financial services companies can decide to not work with tiktok to comply with the law like what happened with parler

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

tiktok will add a massive bright red banner on september 5th that says "JOE BIDEN IS BANNING TIKTOK" and keep it up until november 5th and joe biden will lose by 900 electoral votes

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

HallelujahLee posted:

lol at giving trump extremely easy ammo to use
just in time for trump to unban it

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

i used to listen to his podcast about linguistics, then somehow (can't remember details) picked up some subtle weird lovely politics vibes from him, so i read his wikipedia page and immediately unsubscribed after what i saw there. total piece of poo poo.

oh i think the tip-off was that he was extremely weirdly obsessed with old dead white composers who suck rear end

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I guess trump isn't the existential threat he is portrayed to be if the democratic party is pissing away the 2024 election on weed crackdowns, tiktok bans, and genocide

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://x.com/thehill/status/1783142875535909216

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

actually you will find through media literacy that it was Trump who banned TikTok, but Biden stopped the ban until he found a new reason to ban it, so children and progressives are to blame if Biden loses in November

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Toph Bei Fong posted:

basically they're trying to starve out the app. there's civil penalties of $5,000* per user of the app within the USA, and then those penalties apply to anyone who touches the digital ecosystem in a way that allows the app to exist. ~100 million users in the country, so that's a $500 billion fine. Google and Apple are definitely on the hook because they run the marketplaces and servers that people get the app from, so if this gets signed the app will probably be immediately delisted from the app stores.

I don't think ISPs are liable - it calls out hosting services separately from where it calls out services to "distribute, maintain, or update such foreign adversary controlled application (including any source code of such application) by means of a marketplace". So a sideload and a VPN would probably work. But I would be sweating if I was an ISP, because if people can just sideload the app from a foreign server and get right back on Tiktok, you better loving bet the feds are gonna come knocking on the ISP's doors.

*there's also a thing in there where a company who has gotten the Presidential pink slip has to implement a way for users to request all their data from the platform, and if they don't, it's another $500 per person.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I mean, I guess teaching kids how to use android's file systems is a net positive...

I am awaiting a redux of that infamously bad Mel Gibson ad about vitamin supplements, with the SWAT team breaking into Charli D’Amelio's mansion and she says "What the heck, I'm just dancing, guys!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6bv92W4YnE

I have read (not confirmed) that the bill adds fines for people hosting copies of the app, like apkmirror

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

someone scratched a liberal

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

internal numbers must be dreadful for them to be doing this

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

i can't believe the great firewall of china is already invading america in the form of banning tiktok.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I can’t believe they made a Stancil article without interviewing cspam

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ah christ I'm getting mad at people on the internet again

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

was this image supposed to make fallout new vegas sound more or less appealing than the other two seems like it could go either way

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

:thermidor:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:ironicat: x100

I'd bet good money that Brianna attended an elite university on daddy's money and never held a real job.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, the government doesn't have to actively stop people from sideloading it to enforce the ban. Payment processors stop handling tiktok funds, etc.

Like, the US government has essentially never enforced SESTA-FOSTA. But paypal and all the major cash transfer apps will immediately retain funds if they suspect is to pay for any sort of sex work, skype and other videochat platforms created autodetect monitors for nudity, etc.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

bedpan posted:

internal numbers must be dreadful for them to be doing this

https://twitter.com/umichvoter/status/1783094926752063661

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

drat he got fat lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

:ironicat: x100

I'd bet good money that Brianna attended an elite university on daddy's money and never held a real job.

Her parents gave her $200k to make a lovely video game lol (or as she words it, "animation business")

https://x.com/kiltpossum/status/1783113331030831120

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

who the gently caress is following Brianna Wu, a deranged bad game maker

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nonsense posted:

who the gently caress is following Brianna Wu, a deranged bad game maker

the joy of twitter is that through posting alone, you can acquire some shadow of influence, purely based on how annoying you are
and brianna wu is extremely annoying

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

uh oh. that isn't looking too good!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

why is Biden up in Michigan, that should be his weakest one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

WampaLord posted:

Her parents gave her $200k to make a lovely video game lol (or as she words it, "animation business")

https://x.com/kiltpossum/status/1783113331030831120