Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

punishedkissinger posted:

i think very clearly Congress just wants to ban platforms that are used by people critical of the US and theres nothing more too it. Same reason theyre doing everything possible to outlaw pro-Palestine protests. Tik Tok is doing nothing with its algorithm or data collection than other social media app.

Might want to tell the EU that because they fined the poo poo out of Tiktok for doing exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Congress doesn't care about TikTok selling ad targeting. But they do care about foreign governments mobilizing influence, both overtly (like with the phone campaign) and covertly (who can even say whats possible just by putting your finger on the scale behind the scenes.)

Did the phone mobilization come straight from the CCP?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If the Feds really care that much about TikTok, I just wished they could have waited six months so we could dodge the election attack ads

I doubt there will be attack ads on it and TikTok isn't going to be a major issue. Everyone gets news from politics twitter and politics twitter reacts to "this could be bad news for Democrats" like a cat reacts to a laser pointer. A year ago people were saying Biden would lose because a train derailed in Ohio.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Main Paineframe posted:

Under current Supreme Court jurisprudence, none whatsoever. Under Brandenburg, even open and direct advocacy of violence is protected under the First Amendment, unless it is thought to be intended to provoke imminent lawless action. And I put that much emphasis on "imminent" because it is an extremely important element that the court set a very high bar for. If someone attends a speech calling for person X to be murdered, and then a few days later that someone goes out and murders person X, it's unlikely that this would be "imminent" enough to satisfy the conditions of Brandenburg and hold the speech-giver responsible.

Thanks for the reply but wow this loving sucks a whole lot lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

James Garfield posted:

I doubt there will be attack ads on it and TikTok isn't going to be a major issue. Everyone gets news from politics twitter and politics twitter reacts to "this could be bad news for Democrats" like a cat reacts to a laser pointer. A year ago people were saying Biden would lose because a train derailed in Ohio.

Maybe it's just where I live, but I have already seen TikTok ban ads slightly less often than generic GOP ads

In other news

Mayo Pete ... good?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Even Trump's speech on J6 doesn't rise to meet the Brandenburg test. It comes really close but I don't think it's there.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

theCalamity posted:

Did the phone mobilization come straight from the CCP?

It's impossible to tell the difference, because companies like TikTok have official CCP cadres inside them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

In other news

Mayo Pete ... good?

Congrats USA for catching up on the EU from 20 years ago

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
drat, refunds for delayed flights sounds pretty amazing.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

socialsecurity posted:

Might want to tell the EU that because they fined the poo poo out of Tiktok for doing exactly that.

They fined Facebook, Whatsapp, and Instagram about 3-4 times as much as Tiktok recently, if that's our metric.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Now just eliminate overbooking and let us keep our shoes on and we might have good air travel again

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

quote:

By October, U.S. travelers should expect a refund if a flight gets canceled or is significantly delayed.

On Wednesday, U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg helped outline the new protective law for airline passengers.

Flights being "significantly" delayed would be defined as three hours or more domestic, and six hours international.

3 hours is about as long as the average domestic flight I take lol

No noticeable caveats on the lost bags though

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

haveblue posted:

Now just eliminate overbooking and let us keep our shoes on and we might have good air travel again

i recently flew on a flight that was overbooked by 14 seats. i think it was equivalent to about 10% of the plane's capacity. absolutely mind boggling that kind of thing can happen

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

koolkal posted:

They fined Facebook, Whatsapp, and Instagram about 3-4 times as much as Tiktok recently, if that's our metric.

Yes they also such, doesn't mean Tiktok isn't breaching privacy as well which was the original point.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Yes they also such, doesn't mean Tiktok isn't breaching privacy as well which was the original point.

The original point (in the post you quoted) was that Tiktok isn't doing anything different from other social media companies that would give a reason to single it out. You then brought up the EU fines to indicate that Tiktok is doing a poor job with user privacy and I then pointed out Facebook is arguably doing an even worse job and got much larger fines from the same EU body. And yet there are no Facebook bans incoming.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i recently flew on a flight that was overbooked by 14 seats. i think it was equivalent to about 10% of the plane's capacity. absolutely mind boggling that kind of thing can happen

There are new rules they implemented last year where the airlines have to give you 200% of the cost of the ticket back or a new flight that arrives within an hour of your original flight if they overbook and you are bumped from your flight.

I've never tried to claim them, so I don't know if you have to specifically ask for it or what.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's impossible to tell the difference, because companies like TikTok have official CCP cadres inside them.

I’m gonna need something more than that to believe that the CCP themselves organized or directed TikTok to organize the phone mobilization over the simpler explanation that TikTok used it’s platform to get people to contact their reps regarding it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

By the way, I've had to do some business travel lately and it seems like every time I go something different is permitted now, what's up with that? One time I got to keep my shoes, jacket, and bag on and closed, another all of that but the bag, the third time the usual

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Main Paineframe posted:

It's also worth remembering that Trump banned Tiktok near the end of his term too, but it was held up in court long enough for him to be replaced by Biden, who canceled the Tiktok ban and opened some investigations into Tiktok's handling of user data instead.

From a few pages ago, but this is inaccurate. Biden did not walk back everything Trump did on this point. The divestment order related to the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States is still live, and TikTok's appeal in the DC Circuit was in abeyance as the parties tried to negotiate. It looks like a status report was due to be filed with the court two days ago.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 24, 2024

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way, I've had to do some business travel lately and it seems like every time I go something different is permitted now, what's up with that? One time I got to keep my shoes, jacket, and bag on and closed, another all of that but the bag, the third time the usual

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyG8XAmtYeQ

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
FOUR MORE YEARS PAUSE
https://x.com/disclosetv/status/1783184198477508785?s=46&t=0ZwAPt7Rdn-yxkhTErNHRg

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
president senile, old news

god, i wish the chanters added the "pause" to the four more years

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Facebook was fined for 1.2 billion dollars for mishandling user data flustered a couple of years ago. Ireland fined instagram for the same for 405 billion. The major platforms all do a terrible job of it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
USCE 2024: Four more years. Pause.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 24, 2024

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

haveblue posted:

USPOL 2024: Four more years. Pause.
this place gave up the right to uspol. it is now trademarked by the cccc chat thread

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Please pause.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

haveblue posted:

but yeah

USCE 2024: Four more years. Pause.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

haveblue posted:

D'oh

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

His brain might be old, but he's still got it sometimes

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1783177933022175573?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What is he planning to do after the pause? Yet another four years?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Democratic Member of Congress died due to complications from a heart attack and diabetes.

Seat is very safe D, but will be empty until the election. There are no other candidates in the Democratic primary currently.

https://twitter.com/wildstein/status/1783166660536418722

quote:

Donald Payne, six-term congressman from New Jersey, dies at 65

Newark Democrat suffered a heart attack on April 6

By Joey Fox and David Wildstein, April 24 2024 12:10 pm

Rep. Donald Payne Jr. (D-Newark) – an immensely likable, low-key but effective, progressive six-term congressman from New Jersey with a passion for social justice and constituent service – died today. He was 65.

Payne suffered a heart attack on April 6 and had been unconscious and on a ventilator since then at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center. He battled a series of health issues in recent years, including diabetes, high blood pressure, and kidney issues that required regular dialysis.

According to Payne’s office, the Newark Democrat “experienced a physical accident at home…which necessitated hospitalization.”

“During his treatment for this health issue, he faced medical complications due to diabetes and high blood pressure that led to subsequent cardiorespiratory arrest,” Payne’s office said in a statement this afternoon. “Despite the dedicated efforts of the medical staff to treat him and improve his health, they were unable to prevent his passing, unfortunately.”

He is unopposed in the Democratic primary.

Payne’s father, Rep. Donald Payne Sr. (D-Newark), was a trailblazer in New Jersey politics. When he was elected to Congress in 1988, the winner of an open seat after twice challenging Rep. Peter W. Rodino (D-Newark) in the Democratic primary in a Black-majority district, he became New Jersey’s first-ever Black representative.

Following his father’s death of colon cancer in March 2012 at age 77, Payne became a candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives and won a tough primary in New Jersey’s 10th district.

As a Democrat, Payne checked all the boxes for support among progressive voters: he supported Medicare for All, Green New Deal, Racial Justice, Equal Rights for all, Reproductive Freedom, public transportation, and free college tuition.

Payne became a national leader in a move to fund clean drinking water projects across the nation that resulted in the passage of a House infrastructure bill that included $55 billion for the national replacement of lead pipes. Nearly $200 million went to replace more than 24,000 lead pipes in Newark.

In a bid to reduce community gun violence, Payne was a sponsor of the Safer Neighborhoods Gun Buyback Act of 2019.
As a proponent of making childcare, housing, and prescription drugs more affordable and fighting climate change, Payne voted for the Build Back Better Act. He supported legislation to expand the Voting Rights Act, to provide to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, and the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act.

Under a Democratic majority, Payne served as chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee on Railroads, Pipelines, and Hazardous Materials. He had previously headed the House Homeland Security Subcommittee on Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Recovery.

Born in Newark on December 17, 1958, Payne was just five years old when his mother, Hazel, died. That left his father to raise three children alone.

He served as president of the South Ward Young Democrats and worked as a Garden State Parkway toll collector and for the Essex County Educational Services Commission before becoming a candidate.

Payne began his own electoral career the same way his father had in 1972: running in a countywide election as a candidate for Essex County Freeholder. Democrats put Payne on the organization line in 2005 to replace Albertus Jenkins, who opted not to seek re-election. Running with three incumbents, Payne was the top vote-getter with about 105,000 votes against a ticket headed by Republican Candace Straight.

He was re-elected in 2008 and 2011, the top vote-getter in primary and general elections in every county race he ran in.

In 2006, Payne ran for an at-large seat on the Newark City Council. That was the year Cory Booker was first elected mayor.

In the May non-partisan municipal election, he finished fifth out of twelve candidates in a race for four seats. Seven at-large candidates made it to a June runoff, including three incumbents who ran with Booker: Luis Quintana (20,479), Mildred Crump (18,441), and Carlos Gonzalez (14,158). Ras Baraka, now the mayor of Newark, received 15,512 votes, and Payne got 13,198.

In the runoff, Payne finished third with 16,489 votes, behind Crump (18,550) and Quintana (17,460). Gonzalez (15,580) captured the fourth seat, ending out Baraka (11,435) by 4,145 votes.

As a candidate for re-election in 2010, Payne was the top vote-getter with 20,358 votes, followed by Mildred Crump (18,918), Luis Quintana (17,546), and Carlos Gonzalez (15,547). The fifth-place finisher was John Sharpe James (12,589), the son of the former mayor, followed by Carol Graves (7,141), the former Essex County Register of Deeds and Mortgages and onetime Newark Teacher’s Union president.

Payne became the city council president when the council reorganized in July 2010.

Running for Congress in 2012, Payne had the organization line as the endorsed candidate for the Essex County Democrats.

He faced a crowded field of six candidates that included: Newark West Ward City Councilman Ronald C. Rice, the son of a popular state senator; State Sen. Nia Gill (D-Montclair); Irvington Mayor Wayne Smith; and newcomers Iraq War veteran Dennis Flynn and Cathy Wright, who worked in the billing office at the Star-Ledger.

Gill had the county line in Hudson after winning the endorsement of the Democratic county chairman, Bayonne Mayor Mark Smith. But U.S. Senator Bob Menendez and then-Jersey City Councilman Steven Fulop endorsed Payne.

Three Newark city council members – Baraka, Crump, and Darrin Sharif – endorsed Rice.

Union County Democrats put Payne, Rice, Gill, and Smith on the organization line.

Payne won the Democratic primary with 59.6%, defeating Rice (19.5%) by 24,627 votes. Gill finished third with 16.6%, running 1,732 votes behind Rice. Smith received just 2.2%, followed by Flynn (1.3%) and Wright, who had less than one percent of the vote.

Payne won Essex County with 61% of the vote, followed by Rice (23%), Gill (13%), and Smith 2%. Gill carried the Hudson County portion of the district by a 49%-39% margin over Payne; Union County gave Payne 69.5%.

Payne ran in two different elections in two different districts that day, seeking his father’s unexpired term as well as a full two-year term. Congressional redistricting that year changed the boundaries slightly.

Gill did not compete in the special primary, and Payne defeated Rice by 22,423 votes, 70.7% to 24.6%, with Smith finishing third with 4.8%.

New Jersey’s 10th district is one of the most Democratic in the nation, and Payne won his first term in Congress with 87.6% against Republican Brian Kelemen. The GOP didn’t run anyone in the special election, and Payne defeated independent Joanne Miller with 97.4% of the vote.

Payne endorsed Shavar Jeffries for mayor in his race for mayor of Newark against Baraka in 2014.

Payne caught some bad press in June 2021 when a live Zoom camera caught him unawares, in his underpants and a Captain America T-shirt, while in the middle of a committee hearing. The incident prompted criticism from Payne’s Republican House colleagues and significant embarrassment back home in New Jersey. The episode happened because a technologically challenged Baby Boomer congressman was alone because his staff was not known for early arrivals at the office. Payne used self-deprecating humor to diffuse the situation.

The following year, he faced what appeared to be his first serious primary challenge in a decade. Imani Oakley entered the race against Payne, hoping to harness the same progressive energy that had propelled other left-wing underdogs like Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Jamaal Bowman to victory in next-door New York districts. She raised $462,671.

Oakley tried to run to Payne’s left, though the congressman hasn’t left a massive amount of room for her to do so, promoting endorsements from progressive luminaries like Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-WA) and Gov. Phil Murphy. Payne has voted 97% of the time with Rep. Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez (D-New York), the hero of the national progressive movement, during the 117th Congress. No other New Jersey House member has voted with Ocasio-Cortez more frequently than Payne.

But Oakley proved to be a deeply flawed, mountebank candidate who held a variety of jobs in progressive organizations in recent years but hadn’t been able to hold any of them, and didn’t run with any particular institutional backing. Her former employers – U.S. Senator Cory Booker, then-Assemblywoman Britnee Timberlake (D-East Orange), and New Jersey Working Families – endorsed Payne for re-election.

Recognizing that his political image had faded, Payne took the challenge seriously from the start and began building his dormant campaign organization back up. Needing 200 signatures to get on the ballot, he submitted nearly 10,000 – a symbolic gesture that reconnected his field team with the voters of the 10th district – and raised $1,375,800, far more than in previous cycles. Under the tutelage of Democratic State Chairman LeRoy Jones, Jr. and Rep. Josh Gottheimer (D-Wyckoff), Payne became a fundraising powerhouse, relatively speaking.

Payne also made serious inroads with the left wing of the Democratic Party, which has never been fully in his corner but which distrusted Oakley far more. He won endorsements from unions that might typically be allied with liberal causes– the New Jersey Education Association, AFCME, and the CWA – as well as Planned Parenthood, Baraka, and Fulop.

Because of the strength of the Democratic Party organization in Essex County, Payne would likely have beaten Oakley even if he’d been operating on autopilot. But his strong campaign netted him a huge win, garnering 84% of the vote with Oakley far behind at just 10%. With that victory came newfound recognition from New Jersey Democrats that Payne was indeed a competent, hardworking lawmaker with real progressive chops.

Following his father’s death, Payne actively promoted enhanced awareness of colon cancer and colonoscopies, especially among low-income residents in his district. He was a member of the Congressional Men’s Health Caucus, the Colorectal Cancer Caucus, and the Peripheral Artery Disease Caucus.

Payne is survived by his wife, Beatrice, and their triplets: Donald III, Jack, and Yvonne.

He is also survived by his uncle, William Payne, and his cousin, Craig Stanley, both former assemblymen from Essex County. He was predeceased by his parents and his sister, Wanda.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

rip Donald Payne Jr

Donald Payne III, come on down

also,

quote:

when a live Zoom camera caught him unawares, in his underpants and a Captain America T-shirt, while in the middle of a committee hearing.

didnt know we had a goon congressman

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 24, 2024

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

nm

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 24, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

drat, what a savvy ad lib from the same guy who read off FOUR MORE YEARS PAUSE. They shouldn't even give him a teleprompter anymore since he's so witty when he writes his own material. :wink:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Democratic Member of Congress died due to complications from a heart attack and diabetes.

Seat is very safe D, but will be empty until the election. There are no other candidates in the Democratic primary currently.

Was the following commonly known or acknowledged before now?

quote:

Payne suffered a heart attack on April 6 and had been unconscious and on a ventilator since then at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center. He battled a series of health issues in recent years, including diabetes, high blood pressure, and kidney issues that required regular dialysis.

Because it'd seem to be newsworthy with the House margin being what it is these days, but I don't remember any d.c. press having covered it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

Was the following commonly known or acknowledged before now?

Because it'd seem to be newsworthy with the House margin being what it is these days, but I don't remember any d.c. press having covered it.

It was reported about a week after he was first hospitalized.

https://newjerseyglobe.com/fr/donald-payne-remains-unconscious-eleven-days-after-heart-attack/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That explains it lol, I didn't realize machines have been upgrading.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Tiktok got really weird with user data, phone memory and mobile data scalping real fast. I recommend at least keeping the app off your children's phones.

I also recommend no Meta apps and more recently no X app, among other things (et tu, etsy?), but if you have to triage, tiktok gets pinged doing the stuff which makes cybersecurity types the most generally nervous

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He was my rep until a recent redistricting.

He was nice. He wasn't a corruption elemental. He will be missed.

RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
make it simpler. just get rid of your phone