Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Governor Pritzker trying to save Mayor Johnson from himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/TinaSfon/status/1783198731308802204

No way they get this done this spring, but the legislators are leaving enough room open that I could actually see something getting passed post-election. Bonus points if Caleb looks good and they can ride the dual waves of Bears euphoria and "nobody will remember this the next time they vote"

The lobbyist I know that's currently in Springfield texted me that there's a ton of resistance to the Bears plan right now. That can obviously change of course.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The sheer gall of the Bears in suggesting this deal is, frankly, impressive. "We hosed you over last time, please let us do it again!"

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

sweet geek swag posted:

The sheer gall of the Bears in suggesting this deal is, frankly, impressive. "We hosed you over last time, please let us do it again!"

Technically - we haven't stopped loving you, but want to keep doing it for another 40 years at minimum.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sweet geek swag posted:

There is something perversely hilarious about Ted Phillips' final masterpiece being the purchase of Arlington National, then Kevin Warren was literally hired to shepherd the development of the project, and now the Bears, after getting into a snit with Arlington Heights' school districts, are turning around and begging for billions in taxpayer money for a stadium that is going to be even more inaccessible.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
In Wisconsin the stadium poo poo is shockingly drama free, both the Bucks and Brewers got new stadium funding in pretty easily recently. They figured out to look at the income taxes that are generated by the team and allocate a portion of that for the funding. Done.

Take that flatlanders flat income tax.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ZombieCrew posted:

"Remain skeptical" means he hasnt been paid off yet. Dont worry. He'll come around.

JB is like someone who isn't going to get paid off.

He arguably does not give a poo poo about Chicago or Illinois, except in the way that he wants to be President. So he is going to keep his nose clean as hell of unpopular things. If the Bears stadium plan is unpopular, he is not going to be able to be bought off because he cares more about becoming president than making some small time illinois politics money, as he is already a goddamn billionaire.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Timby posted:

There is something perversely hilarious about Ted Phillips' final masterpiece being the purchase of Arlington National, then Kevin Warren was literally hired to shepherd the development of the project, and now the Bears, after getting into a snit with Arlington Heights' school districts, are turning around and begging for billions in taxpayer money for a stadium that is going to be even more inaccessible.

It'll be the crown jewel of the lakefront! also we're going to need a bunch of new offramps next to it to make it look like the Bryne interchange

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

These parking lots next to the stadium are hideous. What a waste of good lakefront space.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Looks like Sewell deal also includes lions picking up his 5th year option before the extension kicks in. If so this deal is super reasonable as it won't even start for 2 years.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SKULL.GIF posted:

These parking lots next to the stadium are hideous. What a waste of good lakefront space.

well they wanted to put a second stadium there and look what's happening

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wouldn't this be hard to pass even if there was political support? The Obama Presidential Library seemed to take years and that was just a library from its most famous resident. George Lucas bailed on an art museum due to the hassle. I can't imagine the legal hurdles a dome stadium with a ton of parking lots would have compared to those.

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

Hand Row posted:

In Wisconsin the stadium poo poo is shockingly drama free, both the Bucks and Brewers got new stadium funding in pretty easily recently. They figured out to look at the income taxes that are generated by the team and allocate a portion of that for the funding. Done.

Actually I think that it's just a matter of our gerrymandered legislature is more easily sold to the highest bidder. That and a prominent republican senator owns a bar in like, Saukville or something that just to happens to have bus service to Brewers and Bucks games.

Also, just a few months after the state agreed to throw half a billion dollars at Miller Park, MPS passed a $300 million referendum required to keep basic functions of the district up and running. The way I look at it if the state had given that $500 million to our schools instead of a billionaire owner from California there would have been no need to pass a referendum and thereby raise my taxes.

In short, gently caress billionaires.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Bucks and Brewers could also theoretically move to different markets if they wanted. The Bears can't really do that.

So when it comes to funding, who has more power? JB or Brandon? Brandon's tenure has been such a colossal failure that I can see him pushing this through to take attention away from his other mistakes. Maybe he thinks being the "Mayor who saved the Bears" will get him re-elected. He's incredibly dumb but I hope doesn't have the power to do this on his own.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ZombieCrew posted:

"Remain skeptical" means he hasnt been paid off yet. Dont worry. He'll come around.

I just don't see why JB would get on board. It's an incredibly unpopular plan. The guy has aspirations for the Presidency. Why does he care where the Bears play? There's just no upside in this for him.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Obviously there’s room for “why not both?” but I appreciate the Bears trying to direct their gently caress up to the stadium and not the #1 pick.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Niwrad posted:

The Bucks and Brewers could also theoretically move to different markets if they wanted. The Bears can't really do that.

So when it comes to funding, who has more power? JB or Brandon? Brandon's tenure has been such a colossal failure that I can see him pushing this through to take attention away from his other mistakes. Maybe he thinks being the "Mayor who saved the Bears" will get him re-elected. He's incredibly dumb but I hope doesn't have the power to do this on his own.

JB definitely has more control just because the state has way more money. The city can’t fund this all on their own.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Presumably one of the reasons Brandon is behind this is because he gets to say "None of the stadium is being funded by city residents!" and on paper, it's true*. If the City actually had to find its own money for this it would be political suicide to endorse it

*just ignore the fact that the hotel tax didn't come close to funding the Soldier Field renovations as planned

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm not going to Bears games anyway because even lovely seats cost a bajillion dollars and are usually in below freezing temps. I don't care if the stadium is actually in the city of Chicago. A shitload of teams don't play in the actual city they're named after. Pay for your own drat stadium. The Ricketts did and they're still making money hand over fist.

I've been surprisingly ok with Pritzker so far, and I trust that he's not gonna just hand out money to the Bears.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm not going to Bears games anyway because even lovely seats cost a bajillion dollars and are usually in below freezing temps. I don't care if the stadium is actually in the city of Chicago. A shitload of teams don't play in the actual city they're named after. Pay for your own drat stadium. The Ricketts did and they're still making money hand over fist.

I've been surprisingly ok with Pritzker so far, and I trust that he's not gonna just hand out money to the Bears.

Hey the new stadium will be a dome at least.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Jared Goff imo

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Rewatching this guy in honour of Mega-Extension Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j0KHOetu_A

e: fookin' hell the new episode is 100 minutes long

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 25, 2024

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
My last post was a jab a corrupt politicians from IL. I have no knowledge of JB. I dont live in state anymore. Sorry it landed flat.

trevorreznik posted:

Technically - we haven't stopped loving you, but want to keep doing it for another 40 years at minimum.

I hope i have a committed and active relationship for that long.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Pritzker is one of the few politicians that honestly, I might not mind seeing become president. I'm full of bad opinions, but the Democratic Party could (and has) do far worse.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Canned Sunshine posted:

Pritzker is one of the few politicians that honestly, I might not mind seeing become president. I'm full of bad opinions, but the Democratic Party could (and has) do far worse.

Pritzker is a good govenor who inherited a tire fire.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It is extremely funny that the key to being the first uncorruptible Illinois politician is to be richer than your potential bribers. Extremely unfunny that Brandon Johnson is like the ultimate centrist stereotype of the progressive who talks a big game and can't get anything done. He might actually put up sub-Lori approval ratings. I don't live there anymore but every time I see something about the state of the CTA I get sympathetically angry.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
What's funny is that the CTA is actually appreciably more reliable now than it was for the last part of Lightfoot's term, partially because of natural post-COVID recovery, partially because people got so mad at Dorval Carter that he finally felt compelled to actually do some stuff. But Brandon is completely missing out on any opportunity to take credit for that or build on those improvements because he's being weirdly stubborn about firing Carter (zero people in his constituency would be opposed to this move/the vast majority would applaud it) and doesn't really seem to care about transportation stuff in general, even though it's a layup area for improvement and he badly needs good publicity

Uhh anyway Da Bears

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Johnson being more inept than Lightfoot is one of the more inexplicable things. She made like everyone mad and you've made them even more mad! Lori had some entertaining moments and you've been either pissing people off or being absent? I do not get it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The CTA is really bad still.

Also Brandon Johnson called him President Warren in an interview like the guy was elected to the position. When is the next mayoral election?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dexo posted:

JB is like someone who isn't going to get paid off.

He arguably does not give a poo poo about Chicago or Illinois, except in the way that he wants to be President. So he is going to keep his nose clean as hell of unpopular things. If the Bears stadium plan is unpopular, he is not going to be able to be bought off because he cares more about becoming president than making some small time illinois politics money, as he is already a goddamn billionaire.

There’s no way that moron gets elected when both Gavin and Big Gretch are in similar positions and have bigger name recognition

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

There’s no way that moron gets elected when both Gavin and Big Gretch are in similar positions and have bigger name recognition

It's probably better for him to be under the radar right now.

He has 4 years
The DNC is in Chicago, this is gonna be his unveiling.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 25, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://x.com/_NickWhalen/status/1783465785479868482

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Build the statue!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Can go next to the David Tepper statue I'm petitioning for in front of the columns when the new Stadium is built on the lakefront.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

well this is the last day Caleb Williams gets to feel like a big deal quarterback before he becomes remanded to the dustbin of bears history.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Hand Row posted:

For Fiserv, the City in particular used something called Tax Incremental Financing, which gave the project $47 million, but all that money is paid for by the increase of property tax revenue of the project area for up to 27 years.

So, it goes down on paper as the city spends $47 million when the reality is that $47 million wouldn't exist without the project. Now it absolutely is possible that you can gently caress up making the district and end up with an underwater project, just as its likely the project ends up underwater because politicians keep loving with the pay the bond off money to pay for other stuff too. But, its not like that money exists and could have gone to schools and roads instead.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I've resigned myself to Fashanu and believe he'll be a mild upgrade at LT. Safe, boring pick just like Wright last year.

Thank God for the miracle of Lovie + Tepper adding DJ Moore + Caleb Williams on top of bookend tackles.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Jimong5 posted:

But, its not like that money exists and could have gone to schools and roads instead.

I never understand this logic. That money could exist for schools and roads instead, it's as easy as passing similar property or other taxes to pay for it. It doesn't really matter all that much if you're using existing funds or new funds to pay for a stadium, it's still money going to a billionaire that could be going to public needs.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

trevorreznik posted:

I've resigned myself to Fashanu and believe he'll be a mild upgrade at LT. Safe, boring pick just like Wright last year.

Thank God for the miracle of Lovie + Tepper adding DJ Moore + Caleb Williams on top of bookend tackles.

Fashanu would be a significant upgrade at LT. I honestly don't get why people are down on him. Also Wright wasnt just a safe, boring pick. He showed flashes of being a difference maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I never understand this logic. That money could exist for schools and roads instead, it's as easy as passing similar property or other taxes to pay for it. It doesn't really matter all that much if you're using existing funds or new funds to pay for a stadium, it's still money going to a billionaire that could be going to public needs.

They build something.

Property taxes go up due to increased value.

Increased property taxes service the debt.

Its a loan with extra steps, but it goes on the books as a handout because of where the risk is. Sometimes it gets hosed up and takes 40 years to pay off for various reasons, and sometimes it is paid off in 4 years and the municipality can reap the benefits elsewhere for the next 20 years.

I'm confused where you would think the revenue would come from without the new thing being built? The point of financing things this way is the tax increase is localized to the new project.