Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just imagining a bunch of dwarfs upset that Franz is flying around them, banging on their ship with a dinky little hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I wonder how the barge will fare against Isabella's flying circus.

Trollhammer torpedoes fire like bullets now and they have plenty of other accurate anti air. I think the best use for the barge will be anchoring the army while getting some cover fire then moving up when your warrior frontline has some things engaged.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JBP posted:

I think the best use for the barge will be anchoring the army while getting some cover fire then moving up when your warrior frontline has some things engaged.

The content creators I've been watching have gotten a lot of use out of positioning it ahead of your army because it does a wonderful job of distracting the AI's ranged units, pinning them in place for your other artillery while bombing the charging melee forces to do some damage.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cythereal posted:

The content creators I've been watching have gotten a lot of use out of positioning it ahead of your army because it does a wonderful job of distracting the AI's ranged units, pinning them in place for your other artillery while bombing the charging melee forces to do some damage.

Ah I was thinking multiplayer because I've seen some battles where it gets owned due to the player flying it out of the line first for reasons only known to them, but yeah I'm sure the AI will have a mental breakdown over it lol

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Dr Christmas posted:

A lot has been revealed by streamers, but here’s the article on the new Dwarf stuff:
https://community.creative-assembly.com/total-war/total-war-warhammer/blogs/15

It’s dawning on me that these new Slayer heroes will probably get the Immortal trait when you level them enough, and I’m quaking with rage at that being forced upon them.

It is your duty as a dawi player to make sure those slayer heroes fulfill their oath before they reach level 20

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JBP posted:

Ah I was thinking multiplayer because I've seen some battles where it gets owned due to the player flying it out of the line first for reasons only known to them, but yeah I'm sure the AI will have a mental breakdown over it lol

And contrariwise, the early advice I'm seeing from content creators on fighting thunderbarges (especially Malakai's, if you start near him) is, seriously, ignore it. It's a real pain for most races to take down, it doesn't do that much damage if you're not blobbing up under it, and it's either a late-game unit the AI will rarely have more than one of or a temporary summon for Malakai's.

Deal with the rest of the army, don't stand under it, and stack physical resist if your faction isn't suited to that target profile.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Squibbles posted:

It is your duty as a dawi player to make sure those slayer heroes fulfill their oath before they reach level 20

They should change the name of slayer characters as they die, implication being it's not always the same but you're drawing better and better slayers to fill the previous one's shoes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Level 20 daemonslayer sitting in the bath tub dropping in a toaster. Jumping off a tower. Driving his car off a cliff...

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

JBP posted:

Level 20 daemonslayer sitting in the bath tub dropping in a toaster. Jumping off a tower. Driving his car off a cliff...

they'd use a jellyfish both to die in combat with and so as to donate their organs

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So when is it out again?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jarvisi posted:

So when is it out again?

30th.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Lord Koth posted:

Because I was very specifically comparing that Cathay brought multiple units - very similar units to what you were talking about - to deal with it and accomplished very little because those threats got degraded before the barge started seriously wandering in. Not whatever else was going on with the battlefield. Yes, Skaven can lock it down, but locking it down for a bit doesn't do much if you're either doing it over the enemy lines, or over your own but only after what you have to deal with it has been notably reduced. It's a giant target, it's not like the cannons are going to be notably missing it whether it's locked down or not.

Specifically, both of your posts have the air of "wow, look at these tools Skaven have, it'll be easy to deal with," when one isn't necessarily super relevant unless the opponent is being reckless, and another has something very similar on other rosters. Jezzails are a bit more unique, but you're talking multiple units having to burn through a huge portion of their ammo (and thus quite a few minutes) to kill it.

Can Skaven still counter Dwarfs very well? Very possibly, I wasn't making an overall faction vs. faction comparison. Though I'd also not say that with certainty, as there have been enough changes that the specific reasons Skaven countered them so well may have been mitigated (maybe, maybe not) via one method or another.

These really aren't comparable in my book, specifically because the key to the Skaven strategy here being Howling Warpgale. Locking it down 14 seconds at a time, with a very reasonable comp of a Warlock Master + Warlock Engineer, meaning you're going to always have it on cooldown ready more or less. Skaven gunlines are also already superb at trashing Dwarves, so you're not changing up the comp that much to deal with them. You've got a speed, damage, and range advantage at play before you even get into clanrat summons to help with that pesky arty, and it stops looking so scary. Once again, its still a beast of a unit and something you need to plan around, but Skaven got that toolkit. I'd be more worried if it was an arty heavy dwarf setup that was using the Thunderbarge as an anchor to help guard the arty, because they might be able to mess your arty up enough that you can't finish them off. The one area that Skaven suck at dealing with Dwarves is having to overload their position and take them quickly, without committing to a stack that is pretty easy to overload itself. The TB becomes much more deadly in that situation, or one where its a big rear end mess of a brawl with something like 2 armies on both sides. But 1v1 with being able to have a reasonable idea of what the dwarves are bringing and you have time to plan your response? Just honestly not that worried about it as Skaven.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
19 Dragon toads in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvpuD60j1VM

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Okoii had 1.2k watching his Tamurkhan stream yesterday. Good for him the guys is really entertaining.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
https://community.creative-assembly...he-free-content

Blog about the Epidemus, Gold Wizard hero, and Nemesis Crown freeLC.

Edit: link that works:
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1783121674159735156

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 24, 2024

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
getting bad request because that link is up before the page

are you my uncle who works at CA

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I do like the modder shout out list for modders who can finally stop working

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A link that works:
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1783121674159735156

I followed this link to get to the article, I didn’t consider that copying the url would get me the broken one.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
are you saying we'll no longer have to babysit Franz with a jade wizard? Dear GOD

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Pretty cool how they shout out the modders who did this work first, that's a classy move

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Official Malakai gameplay showcase:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STU2fFLXxgc

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ninjahedgehog posted:

Pretty cool how they shout out the modders who did this work first, that's a classy move

they did that the last time there was the big empire update with the elector counts system.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

The lil gyrocopters flying :neckbeard:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

holy poo poo malakai's campaign is going to own

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

lol @ the Vampirates trailer shanty needle drop when the slayer pirates showed up

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Tankbuster posted:

they did that the last time there was the big empire update with the elector counts system.

Yup they've been doing it ever since uhhhhh the Vampire Coast DLC, I want to say. They shouted out Mixu for Gor'Rok during the Hunter & the Beast too. At this rate, the community shoutout for the DoW DLC is going to flat out be an apology letter to Cataph lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-patch-notes-the-empire-undivided-update/#Modders

yeah, even I got a shoutout lmao. God that mod was so embarrassing.

Azran posted:

Yup they've been doing it ever since uhhhhh the Vampire Coast DLC, I want to say. They shouted out Mixu for Gor'Rok during the Hunter & the Beast too. At this rate, the community shoutout for the DoW DLC is going to flat out be an apology letter to Cataph lol

Wonder where he will put malakai.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Malakai's IE starting position looks...challenging.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Azran posted:

Lol poor Cataph. Espeically if they end up cancelling Dogs during the massive 50% layoff the Streamers Union predicted. What's he doing with the Norse Dwarfs since Malakai evicted them

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Lol poor Cataph. Espeically if they end up cancelling Dogs during the massive 50% layoff the Streamers Union predicted. What's he doing with the Norse Dwarfs since Malakai evicted them

Probably moving Malakai instead of moving the Norse Dwarfs though I don't know where

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

"The rather predictable idea is to shove Malakai at least a bit away and restore KD. The details of that depend on what I can do more efficiently, more compatibly, and with the least effort.

Sure as hell I'm not letting the subculture die because Malakai was plopped where he doesn't belong."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Malakai's IE starting position looks...challenging.

The solution the folks I've watched has come to is to head south immediately. Punch through your starting enemy and go hard for Throt and Azazel. Once Kislev is stable, that secures your back field.

Alternatively you could head north and buddy up with Boris, but chaos wastes are red for Malakai so you don't want to stay up there without a mod to turn climates off.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Jump the mountains and steal Hellpit while Throt is busy with Kislev seems like the best opening moves. Then turn west and slog it out with Throgg

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I hope Mixu's Elsepth is still available as an optional cosmetic mod.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Cythereal posted:

The solution the folks I've watched has come to is to head south immediately. Punch through your starting enemy and go hard for Throt and Azazel. Once Kislev is stable, that secures your back field.

Alternatively you could head north and buddy up with Boris, but chaos wastes are red for Malakai so you don't want to stay up there without a mod to turn climates off.

I played Mama Stank a bit ago in RoC and her starting posistion is surrounded by chaos wastes there, poo poo sucks when they put you in a bottle like that.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lol that still rules tho. belated congrats!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A bit off-topic, but I've been playing a bit in the run-up to the dlc, and what are the general thoughts on allied units? I'm playing Repanse and I allied with the dwarf prospectors in the desert, and it feels like dwarven artillery or heavy infantry would be a good complement. It'd be nice if any of Repanse's infantry buffs carried over but I assume those are specific to peasant units.

A friend of mine and I are going to play the new DLC as a multiplayer campaign once it's out, are there any good allied units generally for the Empire? It feels like they've got such a balanced unit roster that there's not much you'd really need from other factions.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

pre-orders still not available

I am gonna say that they are not gonna give the 10% off for pre-orders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dolash posted:

what are the general thoughts on allied units?

Your red line and faction buffs do not carry over.

Allied units can be extremely useful if you buddy up to (or forcibly vassalize for Chaos factions) factions that have something you lack.

Bretonnia, for example, loves to get some quality heavy infantry, dwarfs love some cavalry, most Chaos factions appreciate shooting, etc. Depends on your faction, your play style, and if there's something you want that's not normally available.