Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

World War Mammories posted:

god hand is one of the best games ever made. why can't every game be as good as god hand

there was only ever one Alexander the Great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

criminal scum

I don't even take anything from the things I lockpick! I'm just practicing.

In fact, maybe I should offer my services as a security consultant. I'm a white hat lockpicker.

Son of Sorrow posted:

Decided to restart in KCD last night. I hosed up the encounter with the town drunk so bad I burned alive 10/10

I like when this game ambushes me with realistic consequences. Like when (kinda early-ish main quest) you go to the stables where all the horses were killed, and if you follow the trail away from the stables, Bernard gets appropriately super loving pissed at you for just wandering off without even telling anyone.

And then when I finally returned to Rattay after doing a bunch of quests, debt collectors appear because I hadn't [spoiler]paid off the medical debt yet.

The one downside to this is that it can be a bit unfair when the main quest just thrusts an urgent thing upon you. Like when you return after saving Hans during the hunting trip, are shown a cutscene, then immediately presented with an emergency and sent to investigate it. By the time all that stuff was over with, so much time had passed that the debt collectors mentioned above were on my rear end when I finally returned to Rattay.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I just don't get the point of making a game take twice as long to be half as fun

Mastering the mechanics of a game give me no joy. The grind and failure and grind and failure until you eke out wins is just repetition, I'd rather spend that frustration getting good at real world hobbies I have and save games for relaxation

This is mostly how I feel, though I enjoy some level of challenge. Persona 5 Royal, for example, is a game I consider just straight-up too easy on any difficulty (ignoring stuff like superbosses).

My favorite sort of challenge in games is the sort that doesn't rely on repetition/memorization. So I don't like stuff like "learning a boss in Elden Ring" where it's literally just memorizing animations and remembering how to respond to each one.

The ideal level of challenge for me is one that just requires you pay attention in order to win, but doesn't require repetition/memorization. When going into a boss fight, you should already know everything that is necessary to beat it.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 19:44 on Apr 24, 2024

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

the Eruptor bug is weird, it basically throws you in the wrong direction if you fire it too close
https://i.imgur.com/LLUSnBz.mp4
Eruptor sucked me off???

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Buck Wildman posted:

I read the twitter thread everyone is citing with how terrible the localization is for Eiyuden Chronicles and it seems to be a lot of teeth grinding over utterly pedantic differences and one character being called a chud. can't say I'm concerned

you're not wrong, but on the other hand:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

big deal. insane what people wind themselves up over

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

docbeard posted:

The original Thief is one of the few games I turned up to max difficulty because the difficulty settings actually added additional areas and treasures to levels.

I usually find 'one tick above whatever the game calls Normal Difficulty' is the sweet spot for me, a good balance of challenge/engagement and Not A Tedious Chore. I appreciate games the most where you can fine-tune various difficulty aspects though, whether through in-game systems or mods. Like maybe I want more and tougher combat encounters, but don't want my weapons to break twice as fast, or whatever, and a game that caters to my bullshit (or can be made to) will usually find a special place in my heart.

e. None of this is about Death Stranding, which I shamefully have yet to play

System shock has great difficulty levels

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

difficulty in games should just let more and more people join your session as enemies

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Tarkov model

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Difficulty sliders for dark souls?!!!!!!??!?!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Alien Isolation's difficulty settings give you a wildly different experience because of how the Alien's AI gets more routines or whatever. Nightmare mode is the best way to play if you can handle the stress

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lpzie posted:

difficulty in games should just let more and more people join your session as enemies

They need to add this to Death Stranding 2

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Alien Isolation's difficulty settings give you a wildly different experience because of how the Alien's AI gets more routines or whatever. Nightmare mode is the best way to play if you can handle the stress

nightmare with a mod to give the alien a much larger leash so it actually fucks off long enough to allow some tension

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Buck Wildman posted:

big deal. insane what people wind themselves up over

i don’t actually think it’s that big a deal I just think it’s corny

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

nightmare with a mod to give the alien a much larger leash so it actually fucks off long enough to allow some tension

that sounds good. I never actually got very far in A:I (started on nightmare) but I really liked the aesthetic and atmosphere. and yeah I think it would have been a tad bit better with more rollercoaster where you need the downtime breather to feel the pinch: it can’t be constant tension. the yinyang is important to cat-mouse games

I should give that a whirl after horizon2

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Halser posted:

I orbed so much that the audio is now permanently hosed
it also takes 10 seconds to load the save

back to ULTRAKILL I guess

had to stop orbing because i was playing on browser and it was lagging like hell running at half speed, too many numbers

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

remembering the fact that there are people who don't like the cube boss in remnant 2 and lolling

hating the cube is a skill issue

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Halser posted:

there was only ever one Alexander the Great

"you're not alexander!"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Popy posted:

Difficulty sliders for dark souls?!!!!!!??!?!

Dark Souls difficulty slider is the DLC area.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Augus posted:

i don’t actually think it’s that big a deal I just think it’s corny

I'm more speaking generally rather than at you

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
difficulty, for me the lawnmower man, has become less about hitpoints and damage but how fast i can scramble into cover, or line up a shot, or parry a swing or physically dodge out of the way. what ive learned is all of those things require more physical coordination, but more importantly a higher level of situational awareness than if i was playing on a kb/m or controller, even an fps

ive got to attempt a legit dodge roll sometime, though i suspect id just end up dodging into my wall

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a pretty funny joke in the south park game is that the skin tone and difficulty were the same slidier

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Al! posted:

a pretty funny joke in the south park game is that the skin tone and difficulty were the same slidier

best difficulty slider

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I hate it when a boss fight is built up as a big climactic showdown and then they just die in under a minute without putting up any fight so that’s why I like hard modes

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Augus posted:

I hate it when a boss fight is built up as a big climactic showdown and then they just die in under a minute without putting up any fight so that’s why I like hard modes

I agree, though depending on the genre that can as much be a consequence of you over-preparing. that's why I actually love scaling difficulty in games despite it seeming to drive most folks nuts

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

rudecyrus posted:

best difficulty slider

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Buck Wildman posted:

I agree, though depending on the genre that can as much be a consequence of you over-preparing. that's why I actually love scaling difficulty in games despite it seeming to drive most folks nuts

personally i like difficulty settings that make both you and the enemies deadlier at the same time

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

remembering the fact that there are people who don't like the cube boss in remnant 2 and lolling

That boss was really cool, took me like 2 tries to finally understand what was going on then I had a blast taking care of it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Al! posted:

personally i like difficulty settings that make both you and the enemies deadlier at the same time

same, I think it ultimately makes things more dramatic

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

sebmojo posted:

System shock has great difficulty levels

Bring that back for modern games. Let me just turn off the story entirely in Witcher 4

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

I mean, the reasons people have for disliking this are pretty well documented. To me it makes progression feel less like you're getting stronger and more like you're running on a treadmill, and if you do it wrong you can actually make yourself weaker by leveling up (looking at you, Oblivion)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I enjoy treadmill time

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

loquacius posted:

I mean, the reasons people have for disliking this are pretty well documented. To me it makes progression feel less like you're getting stronger and more like you're running on a treadmill, and if you do it wrong you can actually make yourself weaker by leveling up (looking at you, Oblivion)

well yeah, there are various ways to implement difficulty scaling mechanics and it's normal to dislike the mediocre garbage ones that feel unfun, but that doesn't mean the entire concept is automatically bad?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

scaling isn’t inherently bad on its own but it’s really easy to mess up by making the scaling too agressive or not too aggressive enough

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

silentsnack posted:

well yeah, there are various ways to implement difficulty scaling mechanics and it's normal to dislike the mediocre garbage ones that feel unfun, but that doesn't mean the entire concept is automatically bad?

I feel like one general criticism and one example of a poor implementation is a pretty reasonable forum post all told, I'm satisfied with it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

*throws FT in the trash, picks up copy of wallstreet journal*

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SirSamVimes posted:

It felt so good when I finally pulled it off.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

:sickos:

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Actually now I'm remembering that death stranding had a couple of boss fights that were bad on high difficulty because all it did was multiply the boss HP, the laziest type of difficulty slider. The boss encounters kind of sucked in general in that game so I tend to forget about them. A few were incredible though!

WW1, WW2, and Vietnam flashbacks weren't terrible in my opinion, definitely jarring and the gunplay felt like a bad COD clone but I'll give it credit and let some things slide for the sake of being weird and spicing up the narrative. I wish they'd have nailed it though, those scenes start out tense but pretty quickly I was like ok, I get where this is going I'm ready for it to be over a few minutes ago please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the Mads parts fuckkin kick rear end