Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Why aren't there solar powered boats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Everytime i travel internationally I get my hopes up that they’ll try to bump me and offer me $2000+a free hotel or something silly.

I always have extra time before and after my trips, and I’m usually a flexible traveler, so I’m made for those types of offers and nothing feels better than knowing you’re traveling for free.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

swickles posted:

Does a canoe count as a boat? My wife and I are thinking of getting one.

I hope not because my wife and I want to get kayaks...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There definitely are solar panels for boats, I just don't think it'd be anywhere near enough power for a large boat. I am seeing (very) small ones that are claiming to be fully solar powered.

Here's one I'm seeing, checked the site, they want $135,000 for it:

https://electrek.co/2023/10/31/this-solar-powered-10-seater-electric-boat-has-infinite-range/

quote:

The Solar Sal 24 is an electric cuddy cabin boat built by Belmont Boatworks in Belmont, Maine. The boat scored the wave-making designation of “first 100% solar US Coast Guard-inspected passenger vessel.”

Powered by an electric motor using batteries recharged by solar panels, it carries enough photovoltaic cells to provide infinite range, at least as long as the sun is shining.

Part of the Solar Sal 24’s impressive solar performance comes down to the sheer size of its canopy.

Stretching nearly the entire length of the 24 ft (7.3 meter) boat, the canopy supports four large 360W solar panels, totaling 1,440 watts of solar charging.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 24, 2024

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One of my old companies' CEOs converted an old tugboat into a houseboat. Had 3 bedrooms for all his kids, shower, salt > freshwater converter, all the works.

Granted, it cost about $80k each time he had to fill it up, but he threw cool parties on it!

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Glad my hobby has become “Scratch around in the dirt” it’s cheap as hell. Then again yard is starting to get dry enough to get the R/C out…..

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Boats that stay in salt water year-round are basically castles that are under continual siege by like five armies at once, all cooperating with each other. Boats that you take out of the water and let completely dry out are a totally different category.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

kiimo posted:

I'm imagining you as The Dude, buying milk in 7-11 in your bathrobe and flip flops

the dude paid rent

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

swickles posted:

Does a canoe count as a boat? My wife and I are thinking of getting one.

if it doesn't have a motor you're fine, kayaks and canoes are pretty cheap. Based on on random poo poo you guys say a lot of you make more money than my parent's ever did and they own like five or six boats. none of them have motors. They are in possession of a kayak I built because I don't have space for it, which the class wasn't cheap, but it wasn't anymore than I spend on car insurance. I visited a friend who works as a special ed teacher and his wife does secretary stuff when she's not taking care of their 4 year old and they have a canoe.

Spend money on recreation, it's the entire point of having money.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 24, 2024

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
We converted a sea doo jet boat to an electric solar powered boat and the best it’d do was 8mph. And ran for 45 minutes.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

Once you hit dad age you're legally required to pick a hobby to revolve your life around and among those, boating is probably on that 2nd tier of ungodly expensive, but at least it's not a plane.

Stick in that sensible 3rd tier of hobbies like a full workshop, motorcycles, lower end sportscars, sports guy, or warhammer collections.

Gotta put outdoor cooking in there too. You all know (or are) that guy who has a charcoal grill, propane grill, dedicated smoker, plus a 1000 degree pizza oven out back and wifi thermometers that produce graphs and poo poo.

I used to be deeply, obnoxiously into homebrewing beer so that would have been my vice. But I sold all my poo poo when we had kids cause I didn't have time or space for it. Kinda want to get back into it now that they're getting older but it's definitely better for my health to not have dozens of gallons of good beer on tap in my garage at all times.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

My biggest hobbies are tooling around in the woods and cooking/eating too much food.
Oh, and playing strategy games and reading.

Read in a park with my ex last week. Listened to a record on my portable record player. Only way it could have been better is if I was doing it with a partner instead.
And it wasn’t so windy that we were frantically using our stuff to weigh down the blanket.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Adapting that book into a good movie seems like an impossible task.

I would have hoped for a better director.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

a neat cape posted:

For the first time in my adult life, I am debt free.

Credit cards, paid off. Student loan, forgiven. Car payment, last one taken care of today.

Feels kinda nice

Congrats, dude.

My middle age / dad hobby is pottery.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

A while ago, my brother went to Sam's Club and came home with an extra pack of chicken thighs. It's time to use those extra 5lbs. I was thinking two different things (2.5lbs each).

1) chicken adobo for the first half
2) a beer braised chicken

Any suggestions?

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Adapting Lord of the Rings was supposed to be impossible and turned out amazing. But yeah, Blood Meridian will probably suck rear end because studio executives are joyless fucks that will aim for a PG-13 crowd because $$$$

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Catching up on posts cause I spent the day playing RDR2

I’ve been thinking about women’s asses all morning. Love my girlfriend, a smart sweetheart through and through. She got a fit peach to boot!!!

I am sincerely concerned because I’m extremely hornery and I haven’t been this hornery in years. There’s no explanation because everything in my life is about the same. Why am I so hornery today?!? Is this testicular cancer or something? It’s legitimately distracting me from my daily responsibilities lol

rear end!!!!

Glorious username/av/post combo, an all-timer.

I also spend much of the day thinking about butts but I’m single so womp womp

a neat cape posted:

For the first time in my adult life, I am debt free.

Credit cards, paid off. Student loan, forgiven. Car payment, last one taken care of today.

Feels kinda nice

Congrats! Now go buy some video games or something to waste money on!

:wow:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

I bought a boat* a few years back and it’s been amazing, take it out a few times a year just to cruise around on sunny days, especially when camping, no complaints.

*a two person inflatable kayak
:hmmyes:

These rule and are great if, like me, you don't have space for a rigid one. If I had the space for a rigid one I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I hope not because my wife and I want to get kayaks...

I think self propelled doesn’t count. The cost and maintenance for canoes, kayaks, and row boats is minuscule.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

There's tons of good movies based on books. For two extreme examples Maltese Falcon is amazing and follows the book almost exactly and Fight Club differs quite a bit from the book to the point of the writer of the book saying "the movie has a better ending." A lot of my favorite movies are based on books, sometimes I think the book is better, sometimes I think the movie is better and sometimes I think they're both great.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Where do you stand on The Mist?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Amy Pole Her posted:

We converted a sea doo jet boat to an electric solar powered boat and the best it’d do was 8mph. And ran for 45 minutes.

Have you checked out those SeaDoo pontoons? They look pretty fun.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

The Mist movie ending is great imo because it has the balls to end that way. It's probably cheap but at least it's not bowing down to studio mandated happy endings.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

A while ago, my brother went to Sam's Club and came home with an extra pack of chicken thighs. It's time to use those extra 5lbs. I was thinking two different things (2.5lbs each).

1) chicken adobo for the first half
2) a beer braised chicken

Any suggestions?

One meal for my kids

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a sexual elk posted:

Where do you stand on The Mist?

hysterical ending.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

The Mist movie ending is great imo because it has the balls to end that way. It's probably cheap but at least it's not bowing down to studio mandated happy endings.

Ive only seen it once and I don't even remember if it's good or not but yeah, it just comes out of nowhere so fast that you're not quite sure it really happened.

and then I feel like the reveal was so quick that it kinda verged on parody a little. like yeah it's amazing they ended a film like that but I also don't think they did it well.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

One meal for my kids

that's a lot of kids

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Black Sunshine posted:

Unlike most of Kings books the movie has an ending and that's enough for me. loving King and his inability to close a story. motherfucker wasting 5 months of my life with Dark tower.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

wandler20 posted:

Have you checked out those SeaDoo pontoons? They look pretty fun.

Never ridden one but had a few come through in trade ins. They seem family friendly but I’d just buy a normal pontoon for the 40k

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

that's a lot of kids

Blended family. 6 kids. They can loving eat.

E: gently caress I have thighs in my fridge I need to cook tonight or tomorrow.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Unlike most of Kings books the movie has an ending and that's enough for me. loving King and his inability to close a story. motherfucker wasting 5 months of my life with Dark tower.

Dark Tower's ending was pretty bad but at least as the reader we had multiple books to get ready for it to poo poo the bed.

The Stand, on the other hand....

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

Blended family. 6 kids. They can loving eat.

E: gently caress I have thighs in my fridge I need to cook tonight or tomorrow.

make chicken adobo. it's a one pot meal.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Black Sunshine posted:

Adapting Lord of the Rings was supposed to be impossible and turned out amazing. But yeah, Blood Meridian will probably suck rear end because studio executives are joyless fucks that will aim for a PG-13 crowd because $$$$

Do you think movies are made for anything other than $$$$

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

Do you think movies are made for anything other than $$$$

You're in the industry so I'm not sure why you're pretending to not understand what I was trying to actually say with that.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You son of a bitch

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kalli posted:

Once you hit dad age you're legally required to pick a hobby to revolve your life around and among those, boating is probably on that 2nd tier of ungodly expensive, but at least it's not a plane.

Stick in that sensible 3rd tier of hobbies like a full workshop, motorcycles, lower end sportscars, sports guy, or warhammer collections.

Fantasy football and posting for me.

Looks like $10 well spent.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

Fantasy football and posting for me.

Looks like $10 well spent.

Want to see how it could all go wrong? Scrub through this video a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK9spxXUeV8

Why yes they do all drive around in that monstrosity and homeschool their 6 kids.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

wow, my favourite book. It will be loving brutal if it's anywhere close to the book, and how the gently caress they manage the ending will be interesting.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kalli posted:

Why yes they do all drive around in that monstrosity and homeschool their 6 kids.

Noooooooooooooope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

My wife occasionally fantasizes about this (the living on a bus and going wherever we want part, not adding 4 more kids). I think I would legitimately rather die. Covid lockdown destroyed my mental health and I had a full house and yard to move around if I needed a little personal space.