Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay this one I remember from mostly around 2001-2, I played it a ton but the specific name of it escapes me.

It's a competitive game where 4 players/bots are each on a floating platform made up of balloons. A spikey ball bounces around the arena and you deflect it with your bat, trying to send it at other players and pop their balloons. There are various power-ups and such and the player avatars all have this very off the time cartoon-tech aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay this one I remember from mostly around 2001-2, I played it a ton but the specific name of it escapes me.

It's a competitive game where 4 players/bots are each on a floating platform made up of balloons. A spikey ball bounces around the arena and you deflect it with your bat, trying to send it at other players and pop their balloons. There are various power-ups and such and the player avatars all have this very off the time cartoon-tech aesthetic.

Was that the entire game, or was it a minigame? Do you remember the platform?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

Was that the entire game, or was it a minigame? Do you remember the platform?

That was the whole game.

Played it on Mac, almost certainly was on PC as well.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

That was the whole game.

Played it on Mac, almost certainly was on PC as well.

Airburst

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Good call, that's gotta be it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlXIQqGmyM8

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

Airburst

That is it indeed! Thank you!

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Trying to figure out the name of a game - it's on PC (Steam), and it was finally released to version 1.0 this year after being in Early Access for a very long time. I remember it had 2d-ish graphics, possibly similar looking to Link to the Past, and I believe it was an RPG of some sort.

EDIT: Never mind, was able to figure it out, it was Secrets of Grindea.

homewrecker fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 27, 2024

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
[e: asked the same game 6 years ago in this same thread, i'm a dummy!]

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Probably silencer from won.net.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I can't get a proper pic for this but: Law & Order Season 13 Episode 17 "Genius", at about 32:35 in, there's an arcade machine in the background with a terrible towel on it. It looks mostly like a regular arcade cabinet, but white and facing mostly backwards toward the camera. There is a small decal/sideart on it that I can't make out, I'm hoping it's enough for someone to recognize it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Pac-Man

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Hm, I cannot find the game again but perhaps I overlooked a title. Looking for a Heroes of Might and Magic-like game I played around 2005 (+/- 3 years). I remember the character portraits looking very appealing to me as they looked (watercolour?) painted instead of pre-rendered or directly drawn on screen which was more common. It had a rather gothy-vibe. Does not seem to be one of the more popular series but I could be mistaken. Any idea? Thank you.

edit: It might have been Disciples unless there is a better fit.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 4, 2024

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
King's Bounty: The Legend is the first HoMM-like I can think of in the 2008 neighborhood. Or King's Bounty: Armored Princess.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Disciples 2 seems to be the most likely, could've also been Age of Wonders 2 but that's a very colorful game.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Hm, I cannot find the game again but perhaps I overlooked a title. Looking for a Heroes of Might and Magic-like game I played around 2005 (+/- 3 years). I remember the character portraits looking very appealing to me as they looked (watercolour?) painted instead of pre-rendered or directly drawn on screen which was more common. It had a rather gothy-vibe. Does not seem to be one of the more popular series but I could be mistaken. Any idea? Thank you.

Heroes of Might & Magic

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There's also a card based one I can't remember the name of now, but it doesn't run well on modern Windows. e: It's Etherlords and Etherlords 2.

Oh and Warlords 4 maybe.

Another one I can think of is Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes but it's more like Age of Wonders/Civilization.

There's also a few Heroes-likes from Russia, mainly Warlock: Master of Arcane, Warlock 2 and Eador: Genesis.

Then there are games with different gameplay mechanics (mostly combination RTS/TBS) but some similarities like Rage of Mages/Rage of Mages 2/Warlords Battlecry series/Heroes of Annihilated Empires/Magic & Mayhem/Magic & Mayhem: The Art of Magic/Spellforce: Platinum Edition.

Last one that comes to mind is The Battle for Wesnoth, but that's more like fantasy Advance Wars than Heroes to be honest.

e: I think Eador: Genesis might be a good bet out of all of these, it's the most Heroes-like.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 5, 2024

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Took a good look at all of these titles you named and I can't say with certainty which one it was. Sorry to have wasted your time! Anyway you gave me lots of ideas of what to play in the coming months so thanks anyway. For example I never heard of Eador before, it looks really neat. Thanks again Private Speech, ..!, anilEhilated and IMJack!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

For example I never heard of Eador before, it looks really neat.
It is! (more a Disciples clone than HoMM clone though)
If you want to play, be aware that the campaign in the original (Genesis) is super long, autosaves (no manual save), has multiple endings of which some have very easily missable requirements you might learn 20 campaign turns later. Maybe.
The remake (Masters of a Broken World) IIRC shortened the campaign and toned down its bullshit, but introduced its own brand of Russian-game jankiness.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 5, 2024

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I bet it's Disciples II. Played the poo poo out of that back in the day, and really like the art style.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Ok, I something got dredged up from the muskiest depths of my brain archives the other day:

It was a PC game that was being marketed as a "Halo killer" before Halo got released on PC. It had robotic enemies and I think it had a single word title. The graphics were very much "we got Halo at home".
I played a demo for it in, I want to say 2002?
I'm not sure if it ever got a retail release.
High levels for Eurojank.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bone emulator posted:

Ok, I something got dredged up from the muskiest depths of my brain archives the other day:

It was a PC game that was being marketed as a "Halo killer" before Halo got released on PC. It had robotic enemies and I think it had a single word title. The graphics were very much "we got Halo at home".
I played a demo for it in, I want to say 2002?
I'm not sure if it ever got a retail release.
High levels for Eurojank.

Breed

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I'm impressed. That was it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Breed

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Breed

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I don’t mean to stare, we don’t have to

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Here's one a little light on details, I'll have played a demo for this in the early-to-mid 90s.

A top-down shooter where you moved through simple levels. Your character had, I think, a single-color uniform on (maybe red or yellow). I think you could collect or maybe buy different weapons, like a flamethrower? I can't remember if it had a two-player or if me and my friend just alternated.

Most notable detail I can recall is that it used the DOOM marine's death scream when you died.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Here's one a little light on details, I'll have played a demo for this in the early-to-mid 90s.

A top-down shooter where you moved through simple levels. Your character had, I think, a single-color uniform on (maybe red or yellow). I think you could collect or maybe buy different weapons, like a flamethrower? I can't remember if it had a two-player or if me and my friend just alternated.

Most notable detail I can recall is that it used the DOOM marine's death scream when you died.

It might be Cyberdogs.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

IYKK posted:

It might be Cyberdogs.

The title immediately sounded familiar. Incredible! Thanks.

It's just all DOOM sounds? And freeware, apparently. Guess that wasn't a demo I played, it was just the full thing, but it will have been included on one of the many demo CDs I played to death in my teens.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Doom used a stock sound library used by lots of other games and TV at the time. Decino on YouTube has a video on "what are all the Doom sfx originally"

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

davidspackage posted:

The title immediately sounded familiar. Incredible! Thanks.

It's just all DOOM sounds? And freeware, apparently. Guess that wasn't a demo I played, it was just the full thing, but it will have been included on one of the many demo CDs I played to death in my teens.

Yeah, I had the game on one of those "100 top games" shareware/demo CDs. Perhaps the same as you? Did it have an alien creeping up on a woman on the cover?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My Manchurian candidate trigger phrase is the sound Mutons make when they die

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

IYKK posted:

Yeah, I had the game on one of those "100 top games" shareware/demo CDs. Perhaps the same as you? Did it have an alien creeping up on a woman on the cover?

There were a whole lot of those - have a look at the list below, maybe you can find it:

https://discmaster.textfiles.com/cd-rom/Shareware%20&%20Freeware.html

Unfortunately the one that was my favourite (SuperHry IV) isn't uploaded online anywhere. I mean it is Czech specific so I don't know how many copies there have been in total, but I and III are both up on archive.org. I did find that someone once sold it on a Czech online auction site, but the listing didn't have a list of the games so I only have my vague memories to go on. It had a bunch of great games though, Blood 2, Exile 1/2/3, Raptor: Call of Shadows, Assault Trooper and some other good ones I've long since forgotten.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 8, 2024

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

In particular it had this DOS/Win95/98 strategy game that was a bit like Empire 2 but not quite. It might have been Empire 2 but I think it was a clone; it had slightly prettier/chunkier unit icons, but otherwise it was a similar grid-based strategy game with counters. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Private Speech posted:

In particular it had this DOS/Win95/98 strategy game that was a bit like Empire 2 but not quite. It might have been Empire 2 but I think it was a clone; it had slightly prettier/chunkier unit icons, but otherwise it was a similar grid-based strategy game with counters. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Is Empire Deluxe too obvious?

Warlords 2 Deluxe was also inspired by Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

It might have been Empire Deluxe! I'll have to track down either the 93 or 02/04 version to see, but the coastal textures look vaguely familiar. I think it was more like a fancier version of Empire 2, I distinctly remember the units being more detailed than just a "tank" or "infantry". Though I could be wrong, it's been a long time.

It's also possible that both games were on the single CD and I am mixing them up together.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 8, 2024