Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Docjowles posted:

My wife occasionally fantasizes about this (the living on a bus and going wherever we want part, not adding 4 more kids). I think I would legitimately rather die. Covid lockdown destroyed my mental health and I had a full house and yard to move around if I needed a little personal space.

I know a guy trying to unload an RV if you want to find out just how miserable a money pit they are!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

woodworking is a good dad hobby (for non-dads too)
you can start as cheaply as a whittling knife and some bits of basswood, the sky's the limit of course if you want a custom built workshop with all the fixings but seriously you can like make little things for drat near free if you scale down to the bare minimum of a couple two three sharp hand tools, a clamp or six to hold them, and something to clamp them to. Maybe a bottle of wood glue. Bit of sandpaper. Cheap.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

I know a guy trying to unload an RV if you want to find out just how miserable a money pit they are!

My in laws just bought one (which seems like an interesting choice in your late 70s but whatever). They are already struggling to source spare parts for things that have broken lol.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kalli posted:

If I ever took a trip with one, it would be a rental. I see way too many campers and RVs around here that sit unused for long stretches of time.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Leperflesh posted:

woodworking is a good dad hobby (for non-dads too)
you can start as cheaply as a whittling knife and some bits of basswood, the sky's the limit of course if you want a custom built workshop with all the fixings but seriously you can like make little things for drat near free if you scale down to the bare minimum of a couple two three sharp hand tools, a clamp or six to hold them, and something to clamp them to. Maybe a bottle of wood glue. Bit of sandpaper. Cheap.

I live in a major metro and have an apartment.

It’d be fun to do woodworking but it’s not plausible at the moment.

There are woodworking courses and makerspaces but they are generally expensive, limited, and inconvenient for my busy work schedule.

I’d love to make stuff though.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I throw my money away painting toy soldiers like my father before me

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Its Rinaldo posted:

I throw my money away painting toy soldiers like my father before me

Are these metal or 3D printed?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Kalli posted:

Want to see how it could all go wrong? Scrub through this video a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK9spxXUeV8

Why yes they do all drive around in that monstrosity and homeschool their 6 kids.

Partridge Family cosplay is quite the choice.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My grandparents had a huge early 90s Winnebago and, while they used it a bit, I often think about how many long nice hotel stays they could’ve had for the cost of running that fucker all over the country.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

LeeMajors posted:

My grandparents had a huge early 90s Winnebago and, while they used it a bit, I often think about how many long nice hotel stays they could’ve had for the cost of running that fucker all over the country.

But think of all the chances you got to park next to 3 dozen other idling RVs in a glorified parking lot sandwiched between a vaguely pleasant river and the highway!

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I have gotten back in to doing a ton of bead looming. I like making things and it's easy to store all the stuff away. Bead costs can get expensive though.

Now that the cats are calming down I'm going to get back in to puzzling too. I want to get one of those boards that you can close up while you're working on one though to be on the safe side.

In terms of boats and boat acessories my girlfriend and I both have kayaks and I love them for the spring/summer when the weather gets nice. We're close to Puget Sound and my goal is to see some seals again, at a respectful distance. Watched to bald eagles go after some fish last summer.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
That guy in the bottom middle is definitely guilty of something.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1783305521686032407?t=1u-arazD1IHcaD9wuOZRmg&s=19

jaadee
May 3, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

A while ago, my brother went to Sam's Club and came home with an extra pack of chicken thighs. It's time to use those extra 5lbs. I was thinking two different things (2.5lbs each).

1) chicken adobo for the first half
2) a beer braised chicken

Any suggestions?

Make this pan-fried thigh recipe and submit a trip report so I can know if it's as good as it looks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSyylbrHLxE

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Silly Burrito posted:

Are these metal or 3D printed?

Those and injected plastic.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Kalli posted:

Once you hit dad age you're legally required to pick a hobby to revolve your life around and among those, boating is probably on that 2nd tier of ungodly expensive, but at least it's not a plane.

Stick in that sensible 3rd tier of hobbies like a full workshop, motorcycles, lower end sportscars, sports guy, or warhammer collections.

I ride bikes and go shows I guess

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I lift weights, collect watches and shoot things.

Good hobbies.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I live in a major metro and have an apartment.

It’d be fun to do woodworking but it’s not plausible at the moment.

I made a bookcase on my 11th floor balcony in NYC.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have been playing rec league basketball and have come to a sad conclusion. I need to develop an outside game as my age has caught up to my athleticism. I can't just shake guys or blow past them anymore. Thankfully, I can still defend pretty well, or at least do enough to gently caress up whatever they are trying to do most of the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

swickles posted:

I have been playing rec league basketball and have come to a sad conclusion. I need to develop an outside game as my age has caught up to my athleticism. I can't just shake guys or blow past them anymore. Thankfully, I can still defend pretty well, or at least do enough to gently caress up whatever they are trying to do most of the time.

My grandpa played pick-up basketball until he was in his early 80s. Died at 92.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

swickles posted:

You need to get shorter shorts and a pair of goggles. Your game will immediately improve when you achieve this final form.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Also knee high socks with stripes at the top.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
A tale as old as time. Watching some 50 year old in knee highs clown on a bunch of 20 somethings with one bank shot after another.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

The Mist movie ending is great imo because it has the balls to end that way. It's probably cheap but at least it's not bowing down to studio mandated happy endings.
Shaun of the Dead did it first. :colbert:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Revenant is on and while Iñárritu makes visually stunning movies, I'm still here thinking "Leo won his Oscar doing this?"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I did a few years of soccer in my late 20's and I don't think my ankles will ever recover.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Leo should have won an Oscar for Catch Me if You Can but he wasn't even nominated.

The Baz Luhrman Great Gatsby is a guilty pleasure movie for me, in part because I think of it more as a dramady and Leo's decent when you come in to it at that angle.

We used to have a softball league between state agencies that died due to the pandemic and I played every year from when I started. It was a ton of fun even after one of our current program managers broke my nose with a foul ball that went backwards.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 25, 2024

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

The Revenant is on and while Iñárritu makes visually stunning movies, I'm still here thinking "Leo won his Oscar doing this?"

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Leo should have won an Oscar for Catch Me if You Can but he wasn't even nominated.

The Baz Luhrman Great Gatsby is a guilty pleasure movie for me, in part because I think of it more as a dramady and Leo's decent when you come in to it at that angle.

We used to have a softball league between state agencies that died due to the pandemic and I played every year from when I started. It was a ton of fun even after one of our current program managers broke my nose with a foul ball that went backwards.

I dunno, Catch Me if You Can is kind of paint by numbers when you watch it again and his performance is solid but it's a little shallow. I always thought his best was Wolf of Wall Street even if he does go to the Leo triangle face once or twice too often.

I always thought Revenant would have been a better story without the tender flash backs to his time in a tent with his missus.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

BlindSite posted:

I always thought Revenant would have been a better story without the tender flash backs to his time in a tent with his missus.
I don't mind them too much as it's still in that dreamlike tone seen in other parts of the film.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Just finished S5 of Fargo and I love Munch

Only way it could have been better if they added a last scene of him dead in one of the houses bed, content, with 2 coins in his hand. Keeley puts the coins on his eyes and cut to credits.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

BlindSite posted:

I dunno, Catch Me if You Can is kind of paint by numbers when you watch it again and his performance is solid but it's a little shallow. I always thought his best was Wolf of Wall Street even if he does go to the Leo triangle face once or twice too often.

I can also agree with the Wold of Wall Street for a Leo win, just for the qualuudes scene alone. I just enjoy Catch Me if You Can more. Generally I like Leo more when he's doing comedy or kind of shallow fun movies than any of his serious roles, same with Brad Pitt, with a few exceptions.

I have never seen The Revenant in part because it's a giant sausage fest. The more guys there are in a serious movie, the less appealing it gets to me.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ok what to watch next, I’m still 2 eps behind on Shogun but watching those with the wife so finishing that up this weekend. Mebbe Madmen rewatch, been a few years

Right now I got Prime, Hulu, Max and of course the king TUBI

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 25, 2024

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah The Revenant is a total dude bro mountain man movie… but it just looks soooooo good.

Also Leo pulling a Luke Skywalker & surviving a winter night in the carcass of a larger animal

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lol at bar trivia tonight the theme of a round was “happy birthday Jerry Jeudy! For no particular reason, here are a bunch of movie scenes where people drop things” :thurman: Geeks Who Drink is a national company now but started in Colorado (I think?) so it’s always funny when someone local catches strays in their writing

wandler20 posted:

That guy in the bottom middle is definitely guilty of something.

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1783305521686032407?t=1u-arazD1IHcaD9wuOZRmg&s=19

The worst episode of Hollywood Squares

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I feel like Pitt and Dicaprio tend to do comedy even when they do drama, like, they should be known as amazing character actors but they're just too handsome, so they keep getting cast as leading men.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

a sexual elk posted:

Ok what to watch next, I’m still 2 eps behind on Shogun but watching those with the wife so finishing that up this weekend. Mebbe Madmen rewatch, been a few years

Black Sails

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

First movie I saw him in was This Boys Life, I was pretty young when I saw it and it kinda stuck with me for awhile

E: also saw Sleepers waaaaay to young, I can still see that hotdog cart falling down the stairs YEESH

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Brad Pitt is great in Interview With the Vampire in part because it's high camp seriousness. Same with Tom Cruise. Sure it's also because the book is melodramatic and kinda of trashy but it all works for me. The TV show is also great.

I always feel just a little bad for laughing at the end of Seven too because it's unintentional comedy to me.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

He was also in Sleepers haha

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Docjowles posted:

lol at bar trivia tonight the theme of a round was “happy birthday Jerry Jeudy! For no particular reason, here are a bunch of movie scenes where people drop things” :thurman: Geeks Who Drink is a national company now but started in Colorado (I think?) so it’s always funny when someone local catches strays in their writing
The last couple trivia nights I went to were Geeks Who Drink-run. Not a bad system all things considered. Our group has nerds of various flavors, and I sometimes come in clutch with the sports ones. The only blind spot for us is modern pop music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

a sexual elk posted:

Oh for TUBI just find a TUBI original movie, get hella high, and watch the dumbest poo poo. Some of it legit entertaining, some of it absolutely incoherent, and some just made to feature the creator's friend's questionable music.