Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Mostly I'm just kinda shocked we're this close at all, we went from like what, 2 planets defended by Monday and now suddenly we're at 9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Mostly I'm just kinda shocked we're this close at all, we went from like what, 2 planets defended by Monday and now suddenly we're at 9?

Joel is nothing if not merciful! Praise JOEL!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

They must've finished the next round of updates early so they're letting us win.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
everybody pile onto Ustatu so we can kick these garbage cans down the road

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yeah why would we bring antitank weapons to fight the faction that has tanks?

how do people come up with these posts jesus christ lmao

Ironically the bots dont actually need a hard AT weapon as much as the bugs do, though. You can do fine with just a team of ACs/AMRs/etc on bots since every super-heavy target also has relatively easy to hit weakpoints you can hit from a distance, is extremely slow, or have other ways to deal with them (eg: impact nades to the turrets for tanks). The bot medium infantry will gently caress you up a lot more than the slow hulk you can snipe from afar in the front or the back, and a queso, EAT or RR ain't doing anything to help you there.

Bring all AC's to a bug match though and while you technically can deal with chargers with ACs, you can't do poo poo against BT's and you really need some kind of hard anti-armor option mixed in.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I've never managed to get the orbital stun to work for me. The robots just walk through

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Legit Businessman posted:

Bile titans are no longer stunned with stun grenades as of current patch (check the notes).

Well crap. That sucks. I haven't faced off bile titans in a while. Thanks for the update though!

Fishstick posted:

Bring all AC's to a bug match though and while you technically can deal with chargers with ACs, you can't do poo poo against BT's and you really need some kind of hard anti-armor option mixed in.

Agreed. It's not a hard ask for just one person to give up a slot to bring EAT along, even if they don't want to give up the autocannon. Just bring both, and you've got a reliable option to kill chargers and bile titans that everyone can use every 60 seconds.

bandaid.friend posted:

I've never managed to get the orbital stun to work for me. The robots just walk through

It's been amazing for me during tower defense. It can freeze a strider cold at an open gate with enough radius to cover the outside of the walls to keep the other patrols stuck.

ArmyGroup303 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 25, 2024

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

bandaid.friend posted:

Tanks literally do not give a poo poo about stuns/EMS either - at least not with regards to the "keeps shooting/tracking you" part, maybe it stops them from driving:

https://i.imgur.com/ZUTCTfJ.mp4

But Ive seen hulks and devvies get stopped by them at least, but that was on direct hits - maybe it doesn't affect bots that walk into the existing static field?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Infinitum posted:

New Automaton unit just dropped
https://i.imgur.com/GbpBTtG.mp4

The Matrix squiddie teeth are a nice touch.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

causticBeet posted:

Even without the free titans kills I think stuns are still just to good to give up. They’re so much utility that is otherwise impossible or very inconvenient to get in your kit (stuns are better than EMS orbital and situationally better than EMS mortar) and you give up very little for it. Especially with the eruptor and nade pistol being a thing now it feels very easy to check off the “can deal with spewers and bug holes” part of your kit.

What situations are the stuns providing lots of utility in? The only bug where stuns are exceptionally helpful in securing the kill is the Bile Titan, and stuns don’t work on them anymore. I guess spewers are a threat at stun range but stuns don’t make it much easier to kill or escape them. I’m sure there’s edge cases where stuns help when cornered or swarmed, but that doesn’t happen all that much and there’s other ways to get out of it. Maybe I feel this way because I run Shield Generator pack?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dren posted:

What situations are the stuns providing lots of utility in? The only bug where stuns are exceptionally helpful in securing the kill is the Bile Titan, and stuns don’t work on them anymore. I guess spewers are a threat at stun range but stuns don’t make it much easier to kill or escape them. I’m sure there’s edge cases where stuns help when cornered or swarmed, but that doesn’t happen all that much and there’s other ways to get out of it. Maybe I feel this way because I run Shield Generator pack?

chargers, especially when there are 3 or more

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Hwurmp posted:

chargers, especially when there are 3 or more

Being surrounded and dropping one at your own feet to buy time also solid.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

also stalkers

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Dren posted:

Throwing them on a breach or patrol after you call a strike so you kill more stuff, throwing them for free kills on chargers/spewers/stalkers, throwing them at stuff you need to run away from or throwing them on an overrun objective you wanna squeeze into to press a button at or whatever. Shield generator may cover some of these needs but that’s kind of my point with “why take a stratagem to do something your grenade slot can handle.”

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Stuns rule for helping squadmates who you are seeing get overrun get out of trouble by peeling packs off of them. You may not be able to kill every bug before they kill your friend so toss a well placed stun and slow them down enough for your squaddie to get some space, turn around, then take them out with you. This is especially helpful when you see a Hulk or Charger bearing down on a squaddie with no means to blow it up instantly.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Stunned bugs also ain't calling in any breaches in case you're clearing out a POI and you're tired of having one sneaky scavenger between 2 containers calling in help

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fishstick posted:

Stunned bugs also ain't calling in any breaches in case you're clearing out a POI and you're tired of having one sneaky scavenger between 2 containers calling in help

I wouldn't need them if my Helldiver could just take off his helmet because he's so stunning.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Major Order completed :toot:

Bots have also developed Stealth Tech
https://i.imgur.com/l5PbM5l.mp4

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

picked up an anti-material rifle from a POI last night and did some surprisingly good damage against bugs. Has the thread been sleeping on this or was it a fluke that things just worked out so well for me that run?
I might have to give it more attention and see if it's the real deal.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Video Nasty posted:

picked up an anti-material rifle from a POI last night and did some surprisingly good damage against bugs. Has the thread been sleeping on this or was it a fluke that things just worked out so well for me that run?

yeah its good since the buff. It's better against bots since you can 1 shot devastators in the head and you can also take out hulks from the front by shooting their face as well

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Video Nasty posted:

Literally the only bad thing about the AMR is the misaligned sights.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AMR is good, it's basically a somewhat worse autocannon that doesn't use a backpack

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Piell posted:

AMR is good, it's basically a somewhat worse autocannon that doesn't use a backpack

Doesn't use backpack and you can reload it on the move, with the downside that it can't take out factories or bugholes. I wouldnt say its worse but they both play different enough while covering smilar roles.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Fishstick posted:

Literally the only bad thing about the AMR is the misaligned sights.

I will probably start to play around with it more when they finally fix it.

Until then: AC is love, AC is life.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Actually I forgot about the eruptor when I said the AMR is good, since that's come out I don't know if its still worth picking. Eruptor+Stalwart/Machine Gun seems like probably going to be a better loadout

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Post ur #1 flexible loadout

Eruptor
Redeemer
Incendiary Grenades (bugs) / Impact Grenades (bots)

Quasar
Laser Dog (bugs) / Shield Backpack (bots)
Eagle Airstrike
Eagle Napalm (bugs) / Eagle Rockets (bots)

+Grenade armor for bugs / +Explosive resist armor for bots

Notes: I really need to remember to try stun grenades more often in general and AC against bots in particular. I think Flamethrower + Shield Backpack is more fun for bugs because I like getting stuck in and roasting Chargers is just mean, but I can't deny the killing power of the Laser Dog and the Eruptor is not a weapon for close range combat.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Did they mess with the Spear at all? I was using it on bots and some hulks took 2 shots to kill, and there was a tank that took 3. In the past I remember it being 1 shot 1 kill but maybe I was getting lucky or a teammate was also targeting them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AMR is solid, but it's not going to get much love against bugs since it can't kill chargers or titans, or hose down hordes

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Video Nasty posted:

It works pretty well on the mediums, but most medium bugs aren't the issue to be solved. Your loadout normally needs a way to kill bile titans and chargers past about difficulty 6.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

Always:
Padded light armor
Sickle
Revolver
Autocannon

Bots:
Stun grenades
Eagle Airstrike
Autocannon sentry

Bugs:
Incendiary grenades
Eagle cluster bomb
EAT

Last strat slot is dealer's choice depending on the mission and what the other people are bringing. Orbital laser for bot command posts. Minigun sentry for high level bug missions to deal with shriekers. Rail cannon or 500kg if the other players aren't taking enough heavy weaponry. Etc

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sokani posted:

Did they mess with the Spear at all? I was using it on bots and some hulks took 2 shots to kill, and there was a tank that took 3. In the past I remember it being 1 shot 1 kill but maybe I was getting lucky or a teammate was also targeting them.

It really depends where you hit them, which is something you unfortunately have less control over with the Spear. With tanks if they're too far away, the rocket's angle is too low to hit the top or back of the turret and it just hits the front armor. With hulks you either have to hit them in the vent or get lucky and hit them in the visor

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

But honestly one of my favorite parts about this game is how everybody has a different setup that they insist is obviously the best, and there isn't a single meta loadout that everybody always takes. Aside from a handful of unlocks that are noticeably less useful -- but still often situationally powerful -- pretty much everything is useful and quite well balanced and complements everything else. It's great

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Eason the Fifth posted:

Eagle airstrike (all purpose)
Quasar (AT)
Orbital/gatling turret/mortar (support type depends on mission type)
Lazer guard dog for bugs/shield for bots (survivability)
Sickle (unlimited ammo)
Senator (cool factor 100%)
Medium armor with 50% chance to survive a death (survivability/stamina middle ground)

Full generic across both factions:

Erupter| Machinepistol | impact nades - handles all enemies on bots
Eagle AS | Cluster | OrbLaser | Quasar or AC depending on mood/Team makeup

Light armor with extra nades + recoil reduction

I just cant get enough of clusterbombs. Its a little less effective on bots because they dont tend to clump as much but I fuckin' love it on bugs. On bugs I'll also consider Orb rail instead of Orb Laser, but on Bots the Orblaser seems to have more value at just being a "please clear a lot of all this poo poo in this general area thanks" stratgem.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Sagebrush posted:

But honestly one of my favorite parts about this game is how everybody has a different setup that they insist is obviously the best, and there isn't a single meta loadout that everybody always takes. Aside from a handful of unlocks that are noticeably less useful -- but still often situationally powerful -- pretty much everything is useful and quite well balanced and complements everything else. It's great

Yeah, this is one of the cool parts of the game. I have a coworker who swears by the plasma punisher, but it doesn't work for me one bit. My best friend has been using the slugger even after the nerf, but can carry my sorry rear end through hell and back. Is my heavy usage of the revolver optimal? Nope, but it's cool as gently caress to merc some dudes with a big handgun as you try to find a spot to reload everything.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Liberator Concussive

Dagger

Smoke Grenades

Orbital Smoke

Eagle Smoke

Railgun

Guard Dog

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Black Noise posted:

Liberator Concussive

Dagger

Smoke Grenades

Orbital Smoke

Eagle Smoke

Railgun

Guard Dog

not enough mines

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The group I roll with uses a lot of 380s and it is fun to blow everything up with a 30 second barrage of explosions

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Liberator concussive is really good actually, it does so little damage that it wont kill your teammates easily which is a problem with other, more poweful guns.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I think it is awesome. I see people with a build and I'm thinking to myself... uuhhh, really, you're going to bring that to a Bot9? And they end up carrying us at one point or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ok but the REAL question is what order does your loadout go in?

Some people do weapons first, some people do sentries first, I see some of y'all just going stream of consciousness with it where things from the same group are added in different places like an orbital, then weapon, then another orbital?

I pretty much always go Orbitals/Eagles on the left, sentries next, and then weapons last. Stuff can be added to the Stratagem list in the missions so stuff at the left side of the loadout won't necessarily be at the top of the list during the missions, so my weapons and shield/rover go on the right side of the loadout so they're in the same spot no matter what. Bottom is always bottom.