Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

That's not calling them terrorists, it's dumb and he's on the wrong side of this still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

News is also brewing of a bill moving quietly that will allow nonprofits to have their designation yanked without the formal process that currently exists:

https://x.com/LaraFriedmanDC/status/1783129420598837506

Why would a party that supports the right to protest support this? There are already laws that criminalize supporting terrorist orgs, you would only need this if you wanted to yank the status without due process or being able to prove your claims, right?

Would you be comfortable with Trump having this power?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

socialsecurity posted:

That's not calling them terrorists, it's dumb and he's on the wrong side of this still.

yeah, calling the protests antisemitic and then implying they are "echoing the rhetoric of terrorist organizations" is not calling them terrorists

sure

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

punishedkissinger posted:

yeah, calling the protests antisemitic and then implying they are "echoing the rhetoric of terrorist organizations" is not calling them terrorists

sure

He explicitly said the protests were fine and he supported the right to protest, but was condemning the people calling for violence against students who were part of a group of people that came in from the outside. He's not saying protesting is antisemitic.

quote:

calls for violence and physical intimidation targeting Jewish students and the Jewish community are blatantly antisemitic, unconscionable, and dangerous -- they have absolutely no place on any college campus, or anywhere in the United States of America.

The protest leaders also condemned the same group.

quote:

“We are frustrated by media distractions focusing on inflammatory individuals who do not represent us,” the leaders wrote in a statement Sunday.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So the 3 people who love political semantics "ACTUALLY! :smug: " debates can go talk about that. The Biden admin and the press especially very obviously want to draw the parallel from pro Palestine protests to terrorism. They want those flavors mixing in the populace's brains.

mutata fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 25, 2024

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kchama posted:

The point is that it's rude and obnoxious to tell people to go read some book or watch a long video to get your point. It is, as you basically put, a way to make people

back off from the argument because it's too much of a hassle to try and engage with "go watch a long podcast/video/read this book" for an internet argument. Which is why it is much preferred that if someone has a source to back up their claim, they direct someone directly where to find the source.

personally i think it's rude and obnoxious to, when given a source, ask the person providing it to go through it a second time for you and highlight the important bits instead of doing your own homework. but i'm willing to chalk that up to a difference of opinion.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

personally i think it's rude and obnoxious to, when given a source, ask the person providing it to go through it a second time for you and highlight the important bits instead of doing your own homework. but i'm willing to chalk that up to a difference of opinion.

Just like how, in all my argumentative papers in college, I just pasted a link to my source in the intro paragraph and wrote "As you can clearly see from the source material, I am right."

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Homework in this case is listening to 90 minutes of audio looking for a single sentence?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mutata posted:

So the 3 people who love political semantics "ACTUALLY! :smug: " debates can go talk about that. The Biden admin and the press especially very obviously want to draw the parallel from pro Palestine protests to terrorism. They want those flavors mixing in the populace's brains.
It's the old "We all agree that it's bad, so let's spend 95% of our time critiquing the protests against it."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Audio is impossible to search or skim, expecting someone to spend 1.5 hours on fully understanding your post is not reasonable

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

if nothing else it's just polite to give a relevant timestamp. nothing wrong with asking for one, either

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mutata posted:

they censured Rashida Tlaib and passed resolutions equating Anti-Zionism and Anti-Semitism, but they're definitely not calling the antizionist protesters terrorists, that's ridiculous.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

This sarcasm isn't as effective as you think it is.

You're free (and possibly correct) to assert that they're equally bad things, but they're still 2 different things.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Homework in this case is listening to 90 minutes of audio looking for a single sentence?

as opposed to asking someone else to do it for you? yes.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's the next day and you are still dying on this hill.

Maybe give this a little bit of thought:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

At that point I would probably take a step back and ask myself how committed I am to disagreeing with this person on the internet.

they censured Rashida Tlaib and passed resolutions equating Anti-Zionism and Anti-Semitism, but they're definitely not calling the antizionist protesters terrorists, that's ridiculous.

Who's "they" here? Are we moving on from "Biden called the protesters terrorists" to "someone called the protesters terrorists"?

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 25, 2024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nonsense posted:

Jesus Christ New York:

great news for Trump and his many forthcoming appeals

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

It's the next day and you are still dying on this hill.

Maybe give this a little bit of thought:

like I said, I'm willing to chalk this up as a difference of opinion. no hard feelings!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1783498616788705652

Why is Trump's legal team trying to get him killed?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

This sarcasm isn't as effective as you think it is.

You're free (and possibly correct) to assert that they're equally bad things, but they're still 2 different things.

I can guarantee that if Trump were president and did the exact same things you wouldn't be drawing these kind of ridiculous pedantic distinctions

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Forget it, Jake, it's Pedanttown.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I can guarantee that if Trump were president and did the exact same things you wouldn't be drawing these kind of ridiculous pedantic distinctions

So your argument is that someone would in theory make something up about what Trump said which makes it ok for you to actually make stuff up about what Biden said?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Kith posted:

if nothing else it's just polite to give a relevant timestamp. nothing wrong with asking for one, either

It's this. On the one hand, we should generally assume that people in the thread are posting in good faith and that if someone makes claim about something said in a podcast, they are telling the truth. On the other hand, asking for a timestamp so that one can listen to the quote itself (and the context around it) is also reasonable.

There's no reason to demean anyone here. No one did anything "wrong".

Sir Lemming posted:

It's a distinction without a difference. Hell, at least it takes some modicum of balls to openly call someone an Anti-Semite. "they are echoing terrorist rhetoric" is such a cowardly way to say the same thing.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 25, 2024

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

socialsecurity posted:

So your argument is that someone would in theory make something up about what Trump said which makes it ok for you to actually make stuff up about what Biden said?

My argument is that the Biden administration has very clearly made statements implying that antizionist protesters are antisemites and terrorists, which they objectively have done. the only counterargument that has been made is that they only believe ~some~ of the protesters are antisemites and terrorists.

this rings incredibly hollow given the context that dems overwhelmingly have voted to equate antizionism and antisemitism and have censured members of their own party for criticizing Israel.

If a Trump admin made the exact same statements, we all know that this thread would not be defending it.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 25, 2024

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

My argument is that the Biden administration has very clearly made statements implying that antizionist protesters are antisemites and terrorists, which they objectively have done. the only counterargument that has been made is that they only believe ~some~ of the protesters are antisemites and terrorists.

this rings incredibly hollow given the context that dems overwhelmingly have voted to equate antizionism and antisemitism and have censured members of their own party for criticizing Israel.

If a Trump admin made the exact same statements, we all know that this thread would not be defending it.

You haven't provided a source of Biden calling *anyone* a terrorist for protesting. Now you're moving the goalposts to the Biden administration and you still haven't provided a source for that.

Saying someone uses the rhetoric of terrorists doesn't mean they're a terrorist.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

selec posted:

News is also brewing of a bill moving quietly that will allow nonprofits to have their designation yanked without the formal process that currently exists:

https://x.com/LaraFriedmanDC/status/1783129420598837506

Why would a party that supports the right to protest support this? There are already laws that criminalize supporting terrorist orgs, you would only need this if you wanted to yank the status without due process or being able to prove your claims, right?

Would you be comfortable with Trump having this power?

I don't entirely agree with her characterization of the bill re "virtually no accountability or meaningful recourse" but she's correct that it's both redundant and worse than the status quo.

quote:

“(E) ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW BY INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE INDEPENDENT OFFICE OF APPEALS.—In the case of the designation of an organization by the Secretary as a terrorist supporting organization under subparagraph (B), a dispute regarding such designation shall be subject to resolution by the Internal Revenue Service Independent Office of Appeals under section 7803(e) in the same manner as if such designation were made by the Internal Revenue Service and paragraph (5) of this subsection did not apply.

“(F) JURISDICTION OF UNITED STATES COURTS.—Notwithstanding paragraph (5), the United States district courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction to review a final determination with respect to an organization’s designation as a terrorist supporting organization under subparagraph (B). In the case of any such determination which was based on classified information (as defined in section 1(a) of the Classified Information Procedures Act), such information may be submitted to the reviewing court ex parte and in camera. For purposes of this subparagraph, a determination with respect to an organization’s designation as a terrorist supporting organization shall not fail to be treated as a final determination merely because such organization fails to utilize the dispute resolution process of the Internal Revenue Service Independent Office of Appeals provided under subparagraph (E).”.

Best case, the Treasury Secretary can unilaterally cause a big hassle for any given nonprofit.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
In other news, convicted rapist Harvey Weinstein is no longer a convicted rapist. He is now just a regular rapist.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/04/25/nyregion/harvey-weinstein-appeal

quote:

New York’s highest court on Thursday overturned Harvey Weinstein’s 2020 conviction on felony sex crime charges, a stunning reversal in the foundational case of the #MeToo era.

In a 4-3 decision, the New York Court of Appeals found that the trial judge who presided over Mr. Weinstein’s case, Justice James M. Burke, had made a crucial mistake, allowing prosecutors to call as witnesses a series of women who said Mr. Weinstein had assaulted them — but whose accusations were not part of the charges against him. Citing that decision and others it identified as errors, the appeals court determined that Mr. Weinstein, who as a movie producer had been one of the most powerful men in Hollywood, had not received a fair trial.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Doesn't he also have a conviction in California?

So he will get extradited to LA and go right back to jail.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Saying someone uses the rhetoric of terrorists doesn't mean they're a terrorist.

come the gently caress on

"they were only implying the protesters were SIMILAR to terrorists"

give me a loving break

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Adding "objectively" and "very clearly" to an argument someone already proved false doesn't make it right.

quote:

Your argument rings hollow given the context that what you're accusing him of saying are two different statements that you're conflating because you want to argue what you imagine he meant. But that being convenient to your argument isn't enough to prove it.

quote:

I would call this statement a straw man, but you're not just arguing against something that someone didn't say. You're accusing an imaginary person of making an imaginary argument about an imaginary event. It is a straw farm.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mutata posted:

Forget it, Jake, it's Pedanttown.
There's a whole subforum devoted to ridiculing the ludicrous monstrosity of the centrist worldview, so in this thread they have "the right to play" which they accuse leftists of appropriating. I suppose that's fair.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

davecrazy posted:

Doesn't he also have a conviction in California?

So he will get extradited to LA and go right back to jail.

Oh you're absolutely right. Serves me right for not clicking on "expand story."

quote:

The ruling does not mean Mr. Weinstein, who is being held in an upstate New York prison, is a free man. He was sentenced in 2022 to 16 years in prison in California after he was convicted of raping a woman in a Beverly Hills hotel, and will now be sent to California to continue his sentence on the convictions there, according to his spokesman.

Harvey Weinstein, still a convicted rapist.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

they only believe ~some~ of the protesters are antisemites and terrorists.

"Some of the protesters are antisemites" is objectively true, it's just also a deflection that makes pro-Israel peeps very happy because it moves the conversation from what Israel is doing to nitpicking about how many of the protesters are being terrible and how much the main movement should distance itself. At Columbia iirc the people saying dumb bad things weren't even on the campus (and didn't look to be especially numerous).

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

OscarDiggs posted:

How does the current response to these protests compare to the response the Vietnam protests got?

Considering the number of bombs set off by anti Vietnam War groups, harsher by proportion.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 25, 2024

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Goatse James Bond posted:

"Some of the protesters are antisemites" is objectively true, it's just also a deflection that makes pro-Israel peeps very happy because it moves the conversation from what Israel is doing to nitpicking about how many of the protesters are being terrible and how much the main movement should distance itself. At Columbia iirc the people saying dumb bad things weren't even on the campus (and didn't look to be especially numerous).

Right, and the Biden administration has made statements that conflate the two or otherwise make no distinction. This is incredibly dangerous and harmful and no one should defend it.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

come the gently caress on

"they were only implying the protesters were SIMILAR to terrorists"

give me a loving break

Only if you think "echoing the rhetoric of terrorist organizations" implies that the people doing the echoing are similar to terrorists.

It's probably a reference to the "from the river to the sea" line, or something similar.

There are plenty of terrible things to get mad about, you don't need to invent new ones.

OscarDiggs posted:

How does the current response to these protests compare to the response the Vietnam protests got?

Not there yet.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kith posted:

Someone already did this (you can go to about 8:40 and hear her describe it, as they pointed out), but there’s still posts being made as if it didn’t happen.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Nucleic Acids posted:

Someone already did this (you can go to about 8:40 and hear her describe it, as they pointed out), but there’s still posts being made as if it didn’t happen.

Because someone else gave the timestamp and the person that refused to came back today and restarted the argument as if it didn't happen.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

We are required by current moderation policies to entertain and respond to unserious arguments. The users who make them have the right to play.

I appreciate what you did here, you serious interlocutor you

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Not there yet.

But probably pretty soon given bipartisan calls for the national guard to be deployed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Right, and the Biden administration has made statements that conflate the two or otherwise make no distinction. This is incredibly dangerous and harmful and no one should defend it.
Biden publicly claimed to have seen photos of a Hamas massacre that never happened. So we don't need to debate if the Biden administration is deliberately transmitting pro-genocide propaganda; POTUS did it personally.