Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

I know we've been dealing with "TRUMP" for almost a decade now but it's still absolutely shocking to me how broken these people's brains are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

wow you're right there green racist frog pfp guy

quote:

ah yes, why would any of these judges leave their cushy rear end job to become president

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Jesus. Just the most blatant “rules don’t apply to us or the people we hate” lines. loving fascists.
Literal unironic "immunity for me but not for thee"

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

did SCOTUS ever ask "will the President be allowed to murder a Supreme Court Judge?"

i feel like that would factor in their ruling significantly.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Quick reminder to everyone who forgot, Joe the Plumber is dead now. :patriot:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

nobodygetshurt posted:

did SCOTUS ever ask "will the President be allowed to murder a Supreme Court Judge?"

They talked about sending Seal Team 6 to kill political rivals which is basically that

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

nobodygetshurt posted:

I mean, kind of did - they asked should the President have immunity if he used the military to kill any political opponents, that would include SCOTUS members for certain.

e;fb

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

but specifically assassinating SCOTUS judges. i feel like that should've come up. they're taking this immunity bullshit seriously, i wonder if it would change their minds if a question targeting them specifically would change their mind.

i mean that's literally what the chuds are implying here

nobodygetshurt fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 25, 2024

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Scags McDouglas posted:

He's clearly a plumber of Joes

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i do find Beers statements worrying. i dont think they do save him but they do make some bullshit about immunity.

I mean…no? I listened to the entire oral arguments and during that exchange he specifically said, “I’m not asking this to refer to this case, no no I don’t want to infer that, just for how future cases may be affected by a ruling.” I got the sense he was very much anti-Trump immunity here. There are some important questions about how to actually navigate charging a president. It’s literally never been a problem before but once or twice and not got his extent. Trump just road tested the very core fabric of the parchment the constitution was written on and I get the sense SCOTUS actually kind of hates him for it. It’s just a huge loving mess.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

nobodygetshurt posted:

but specifically assassinating SCOTUS judges. i feel like that should've come up. they're taking this immunity bullshit seriously, i wonder if it would change their minds if a question targeting them specifically would change their mind.

The SCOTUS are the ones asking questions at this point. And them asking "well what does that mean to me, personally?" would be rather uncouth.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Couldn't the DC judge just say "great, we start the trial tomorrow!" It's in his power to delay whatever he was about to start and say he's bumping the trump case, right?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

nobodygetshurt posted:

i mean that's literally what the chuds are implying here

I think this was addressed specifically in the questioning on whether a sitting president can order a coup.

A coup from a sitting president would include removing power from the supreme court and congress.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Scags McDouglas posted:

And nothing of value was lost

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish Biden would summon Thomas to his office and say "retire or I am nominating 4 more judges tomorrow."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i mean they are right. at best for them its a very limited "offcial acts immunity" and trumps poo poo doesnt fall into that or get gets booted down and delays happen. i dont think they rule for trump explcitly.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I mean…no? I listened to the entire oral arguments and during that exchange he specifically said, “I’m not asking this to refer to this case, no no I don’t want to infer that, just for how future cases may be affected by a ruling.” I got the sense he was very much anti-Trump immunity here. There are some important questions about how to actually navigate charging a president. It’s literally never been a problem before but once or twice and not got his extent. Trump just road tested the very core fabric of the parchment the constitution was written on and I get the sense SCOTUS actually kind of hates him for it. It’s just a huge loving mess.

yeah i can see that. what you think the ruling will be.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Justice K is basically at, “Trump is a lost cause bad faith actor and immunity shouldn’t apply, but what if a future good faith president found themselves being investigated by political opponents?” How do you protect the country from a bad faith president that breaks a bunch of laws for their own personal gain?

But Also, how do you protect a good faith president from bad faith judges or political opponents armed to the teeth with biased prosecutors?

It’s a tough thing to figure out and the lower court basically ruled a bit too tautologically that “the president has no immunity from prosecution, because he is being prosecuted.” As in, simply because a grand jury can return a verdict and a case can be argued, there can’t possibly be immunity. Just as Trump exploited the power of his office, this could easily be exploited by bad actors as well. This stuff needs to be figured out.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New York going red :lol:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

This dumdum wasn't paying attention. This was already discussed that the judges themselves knew they weren't above the law, and never have been.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

yeah lol. I think NY could vote red someday, but its gonna be under some new rockafeller type that not in the wings right now.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

heard u like girls posted:

This one is p epic

Fight Club ????????????????
I remember the Christian values espoused in Fight Club.

Which is it seems like a lot of people are forgetting the first two rules of Jesus Club.

Oh and that if you keep spraying a priest or monk with water they will throw hands.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Waltzing Along posted:

Couldn't the DC judge just say "great, we start the trial tomorrow!" It's in his power to delay whatever he was about to start and say he's bumping the trump case, right?

the defendant is kinda busy at the moment

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao

In their minds NYC and California were "flipped at 3am"

Lmao these people have severe brain damage

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Waltzing Along posted:

I wish Biden would summon Thomas to his office and say "retire or I am nominating 4 more judges tomorrow."

...federal law says 9 justices how would that even work

What are you even appointing them to

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
California went red too, btw. But then the CIA intervened :argh:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Seth Pecksniff posted:

What federal law says 9 justices?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Does it? I thought 9 was just the accepted number. Like it was 6, 7, 10 in the past, and not just because someone died of the agues.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Scags McDouglas posted:

also wasnt even named joe or was a plumber

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Does it explicitly say 9 justices?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Serious_Cyclone posted:

California went red too, btw. But then the CIA intervened :argh:
I assume that they are complaining that urban voters were counted despite being

Yknow

Not REAL Americans.

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

I was about to get a date with a hot girl on tinder but the CIA intervened and she blocked me. At 3 am.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

...popular vote??????? Hmmmmm!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Seth Pecksniff posted:

..the supreme court? what do you think people meant by "biden should pack the court"?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fair complexion maybe

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

nobodygetshurt posted:

I was about to get a date with a hot girl on tinder but the CIA intervened and she blocked me. At 3 am.

they did you a favor because messaging a hot girl at 3am is a self cockblock

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Regressives for decades : NY and big cities are poo poo holes!

*big cities even at their worst are economic engines that dominate tiny poo poo hole towns, oh also various other metric still do better than small dying towns*

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

nobodygetshurt posted:

Agents Bobs and Vagine

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I know it’s been asked before but I don’t remember the answer

Why are all the PW avatars cats?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

nobodygetshurt posted:

Excuse me that was us, The Deep State.
Nobody gives us enough credit for minor inconveniences in life.

Now if you would excuse me, I need to dig a pot hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Blind Rasputin posted:

110% yes. Executive immunity is one of those questions that the Constitution is almost entirely silent on, but everyone has spent the past 240 years politely pretending that executive privilege is real because the alternative was worse--no one wants to open the door to the courts being weaponized to paralyze the presidency with bullshit legal proceedings. The exact boundaries were always vague and fuzzy since it's not actually in the text of the Constitution, but that wasn't a problem as long as the president was smart enough to not get caught doing obvious crimes. Now Trump hosed everything up and put the court on the spot.