Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Probably the biggest gently caress You we've seen from a company that's not shy about handing them out. Failing to address the cheater issue and charging more than the price of a full game for offline PVE to people who already shelled out under the assumption that they were getting the definitive edition of the game is something I wouldn't even expect out of EA. gently caress these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I bet it won't even have the basic spt mod improvements that make the offline SPT playable like simulated PMCs and scavs that don't just stand around like idiots in the same spot the entire raid.

I don't even think co op pve would be fun at all without SAIN AI, Donuts, questing/looting bots, etc.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I bet it won't even have the basic spt mod improvements that make the offline SPT playable like simulated PMCs and scavs that don't just stand around like idiots in the same spot the entire raid.

I don't even think co op pve would be fun at all without SAIN AI, Donuts, questing/looting bots, etc.

It would be a joke if it was just the current game but without enemy PMC players in it. Even with bosses your main worry is enemy players third partying you or stealing the loot afterwards. Considering their decision making thus far I have to assume it's just the current game but without enemy players in the raid.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
$250? What a joke.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jakosa posted:

That's pretty insane. I don't know who they think are the target group for this.

I might be weird but P2W stuff that makes the game easier is not something I see going well with what type of game Tarkov is. I didn't buy this game because I wanted something easy. I bought it because I wanted something hard that would challenge me. I'm actually happy that I just got the standard edition of the game so my traders start at 0.00 loyalty and I have my little alpha pouch and I have to work to get something better.

Someone mentioned that they wanted servers that implemented the 'hardcore' ruleset. That would make the game even harder and I might actually consider that, if they made it. But not at $250.

tarkov is transparently p2w and has been for absolutely ever

u give them money and u get more than twice as much secure container space and double the starting stash space to store all your valuable quest items in, which speeds up progression literally like 5 fold

Kazinsal posted:

I was hoping it'd be a case of like, I spend another forty bucks and then I can host a PvE co-op persistent world where my friends could buy the cheapo version and join in, but no, Nikita's krokodil fund ran out and this is the plan to replenish it.

yeah that would be cool, instead we get maximum bsg greed

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 25, 2024

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

u give them money and u get more than twice as much secure container space and double the starting stash space to store all your valuable quest items in, which speeds up progression literally like 5 fold
I understand that's how it works, but I don't see the appeal. Why would you want to speed up progression? So you can play the game you bought less? Maybe I just don't understand what your goal is when playing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jakosa posted:

I understand that's how it works, but I don't see the appeal. Why would you want to speed up progression? So you can play the game you bought less? Maybe I just don't understand what your goal is when playing.

So you can get to the flea market quicker.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Jakosa posted:

What you're saying makes sense and is reasonable but only if you take it entirely out of context. The context in this case is that it's a competitive game and people will do almost anything to gain a competitive edge.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i wish i could have an account that gives me a smaller secure container but a unique colored name

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well RIP SPTarkov. I'm sure BSG is gonna go after them with a legal hatchet.

Its gonna be hilarious if this PvE mode is basically the lovely current offline raids but you actually get to keep poo poo.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

looks like there's a matching queue when loading into the pve mode. this poo poo is hilarious

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
matching is where it matches you with an open server to host the raid

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

What you're saying makes sense and is reasonable but only if you take it entirely out of context. The context in this case is that it's a competitive game and people will do almost anything to gain a competitive edge.

I guess I play more against myself than against others. To get better at the game, at handling frustration and overcoming it. To have those highs and lows the game gives.

If I paid to get an edge over other PMCs, I think I would feel that that diminished the highs a little bit.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
If we ignore the batshit insane “you don’t aggro scav” and (future) “you can have your friends join you mid raid” widgets the rest of the offering is pretty inoffensive compared to the sort of stuff you already got with EOD. A bunch of cases is nice but kind of whatever, pockets are in the same vein as a gamma container with less overall value outside of weird niche scenarios, and if I had to choose between bonus level 3 skills and bonus trader rep that we already get id go with the trader rep every time.

Progression coop should absolutely have been included for EOD owners and I think that will probably be the lasting outrage here. BSG can rule-lawyer the definition of DLC all they want but EOD was sold as an “early supporter, get everything we release in the future” package and people are gonna be pissed if they go back on that. Especially if the “free DLC” ends up being some maps that were originally in the roadmap then mysteriously removed before BSG started going all in on micro transactions and a DOA esport mode, A lot of people have spent a lot of time playing this game and would probably be happy to throw more money at BSG but this feels like a lazy way to go about it. Really feels like BSG is grasping at straws because they wasted all their cash on a dumb arena shooter no one actually wanted and now they’re squeezing the main game for whatever they can.

tjones
May 13, 2005
No one I've talked with that owns EOD cares about the P2W poo poo bundled with the new account. All the frustration at this point in those conversations has been with the new game mode not being included in the normal game bundles and the blatant cash grab around EOD accounts being phased out in order to sell normal game modes that come free with other games for upwards of $250+.

They could have easily made it so that EOD accounts got the new PVE mode for free and allowed those accounts to host any other account type so they could play with friends. They could have made the PVE mode an extra $10 addon for non EOD (or threw the thing in for free because it would have sold new accounts like hotcakes anyway). Then they could have added all the P2W poo poo as addon DLC packs for all accounts because most people I know who play Tarkov would have bought it anyway.

When someone told me about the PVE coop mode I automatically assumed it would be some dumb poo poo considering EOD accounts couldn't host other accounts with the offline mode. I was pretty frustrated earlier this wipe when I learned I couldn't host an offline raid with a friend who was new to the game who wanted to know some easy lighthouse routes and spots.

Charging $250.00 is loving insane and I'm appalled enough to uninstall Tarkov all together and start recommending anyone who wants to play coop Tarkov roll a SPT coop server and be done with BSG. I didn't play often and am probably not their normal target playbase but I owned EOD and looked forward to each new wipe to see the changes but lmao at that happening again if the current course of the ship isn't turned.

tjones fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 25, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
eh it's pretty egregious how impactful some of it will be, people haven't really processed it yet. u can now sit in raid and btr cover fire for 15 minutes if you want with the new device. u can now run literally weapon +mag in pockets with the best weapons in the game for like a 250k total kit cost, hello new labs rat meta. imagine mosin man but with 7.62 mdr lol

causticBeet posted:

If we ignore the batshit insane “you don’t aggro scav” and (future) “you can have your friends join you mid raid” widgets the rest of the offering is pretty inoffensive compared to the sort of stuff you already got with EOD. A bunch of cases is nice but kind of whatever, pockets are in the same vein as a gamma container with less overall value outside of weird niche scenarios, and if I had to choose between bonus level 3 skills and bonus trader rep that we already get id go with the trader rep every time.

i'm solidly of the opinion that the p2w ship sailed with selling 5 extra secure container slots, but this is a significant additional step in that direction. the cases are a pretty significant boost to early wipe and will absolutely change progression for anyone with that account tier. i'm also really not a fan of more dickheads with scopes and m80s running around on day 1. idk why but more people with even better gear on day 1 is the poo poo I'm most disappointed by. idk i wish they'd give the premium account gear on like day 3 of wipe to let the first few days be pure, but i'm pissing into the wind wanting a more even playing field.

level 3 skills is pretty eh whatever in terms of gameplay impact after the first day or two, but significantly it will particularly impact a few specific tasks

quote:

Progression coop should absolutely have been included for EOD owners and I think that will probably be the lasting outrage here. BSG can rule-lawyer the definition of DLC all they want but EOD was sold as an “early supporter, get everything we release in the future” package and people are gonna be pissed if they go back on that. Especially if the “free DLC” ends up being some maps that were originally in the roadmap then mysteriously removed before BSG started going all in on micro transactions and a DOA esport mode, A lot of people have spent a lot of time playing this game and would probably be happy to throw more money at BSG but this feels like a lazy way to go about it. Really feels like BSG is grasping at straws because they wasted all their cash on a dumb arena shooter no one actually wanted and now they’re squeezing the main game for whatever they can.

yeah 100%

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 25, 2024

tjones
May 13, 2005
I'm jaded and don't believe this will amount to much beyond the initial bitching. The people who are obsessed with Tarkov will go the route of Star Citizen whales and buy the new bundle for the 2 extra pocket slots.

That said, this release has already been extremely entertaining between the forums on fire, various discords imploding, clips of streamers crying, and standard account havers going full rogue and rubbing salt in EOD owners faces.

If you're gonna go out (lol they wont) why not go out on fire riding a dumpster.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

I stopped playing this game a few months ago at lvl 15 because I didn't feel like I was making much progress as a new player. Saw they added a PvE mode and thought that sounded great but it's 250 dollars ...? What is supposed to justify this cost? the promise of access to future DLC content?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
DLCs for an unfinished beta lmao

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

ROFLburger posted:

I stopped playing this game a few months ago at lvl 15 because I didn't feel like I was making much progress as a new player. Saw they added a PvE mode and thought that sounded great but it's 250 dollars ...? What is supposed to justify this cost? the promise of access to future DLC content?

As an existing player it's been rough for me too. Still play a few raids a week, but mostly it's just turning into too much hassle and grind. It's not necessarily that I want the PvE mode(Gray Zone/etc have my attention) that bad as an EOD owner, it's more that the pricepoint and the "it's NOT DLC" part of it sours the mood on if the game is going to still be fun to play 6mo to a year from now. So many smaller QoL things they could focus on instead of trying to squeeze extra money out of players.

Not to start a whole thing, but it reminds me of when KSP initially (2013 I think?) came out they sold it as "Early Alpha, you're buying the whole game". Fast forward to when they dropped the first DLC and honored that promise and gave that group of early purchasers all the DLC. Highlights the difference in Dev mindset for me is all.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Landmark just popped on stream to poo poo on this for a while with almost 20k people watching. Pretty great job pissing off literally everyone.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Ignore_Me posted:

Yeah I think that’s the one where if the host dies the raid ends, and the co-op player never gets to keep any actual loot

It's very jank but if the host dies, the raid does not end. Anyone who dies in raid gets to freecam around the map and spectate. Everyone gets to keep their loot.

SIT is pretty good so far, it's a little too jank to put my friends through but it's very playable in our test runs. I'm hoping to only be playing SIT by the end of the year.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm not sure if it's paranoia or prudent planning but I'm archiving my 3.7.6 SPT install and getting 3.8 (minus questing bots, ugh) installed and working today. Going after SPT seems more likely than usual now.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The game and wipe are the best state and wipe ever. I started in fall of 2020 and played every wipe.

The marketing decisions and such are hosed, but it’s a funny contrast.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vasudus posted:

I'm not sure if it's paranoia or prudent planning but I'm archiving my 3.7.6 SPT install and getting 3.8 (minus questing bots, ugh) installed and working today. Going after SPT seems more likely than usual now.

Yeah I'm grabbing even mildly interesting mods from the spt site, just in case

tjones
May 13, 2005
Someone just posted clips of one of the tarkov streamers installing SPT live on twitch and another of Pestily recommending you buy crack or strippers with the $100 it would take for EOD owners to upgrade.

Public facing SPT development is absolutely over. You guys better clone repos now and pull backups.

BANNED USER
May 18, 2010

I have this real nasty habit of punching faces

The enshittification of Tarkov is all thanks to the bootlickers who blindly defend the game against any and all criticism, imagine being part of the problem but lacking the self awareness to realize it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
doesn't like 100% of the playerbase poo poo on bsg and tarkov

i think bsg just wanted to cash in and that they dgaf about people being mad

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 25, 2024

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

just a baffling decision

like the previous DLCs were a little iffy but people understood the reasoning and I think were supportive (both in terms of direction and in terms of buying stuff at a fairly good clip), if wary about the implications going forward

not really sure why they decided the natural follow up to that fragile positivity was a hilariously expensive pay2win macrotransaction that's obviously out of budget for non-EOD people and seemingly hits the 'sweet' spot of too (or at least meaningfully) expensive/dubious value/devaluing previous purchases for their enfranchised EOD players

basically

fknlo posted:

Pretty great job pissing off literally everyone.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:lol: the Unheard edition special items like the knife and armband are now available as a mod for SPT

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Would've loved to play official PVE, hell, even maybe 20 bucks for it would've been ok despite the whole "oh all future DLC wink wink nudge nudge" lie of EoD. But lol, 120 bucks to upgrade, gently caress that.

Arrath posted:

:lol: the Unheard edition special items like the knife and armband are now available as a mod for SPT
Asset flips, $7 a pop.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh yea, I'd love to upgrade to the new mode, sounds lo-

:v:

Oh, and there's also the fact that these are untaxed prices, so the full bundle for new players is:

I could probably buy a Lada with that money. Hell I could possibly buy an AKMS with that money. I've been off the grind for this whole wipe, now I know I'm not coming back lmao.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

So they're doubling down on this amidst this backlash, lmao. The Discords are muted, Reddit is going full nuclear, they really have pissed EVERYONE.

And the first major news outlet to report about this is... Forbes :v: https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikestubbs/2024/04/25/escape-from-tarkov-fans-are-outraged-at-new-250-pay-to-win-edition/

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Maybe the true escape from Tarkov was the price and edition restructuring they did along the way.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

This is the kind of decision you make when you hate your player base and want them to suffer, which seems about right for EFT. Also gently caress Nikita

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

house of the dad posted:

This is the kind of decision you make when you hate your player base and want them to suffer, which seems about right for EFT. Also gently caress Nikita

Pestily had a long 1.5hr interview with Nikita like not even a few weeks ago to try and discuss the future of the game and gripes/complaints and this idiot sat there the whole time knowing they were about to drop this announcement and said nothing hahahah

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

whoever runs Battlestate's twitter account apparently also decided now is the perfect time to start a beef and streisand-effect some other game I've never heard of

https://x.com/bstategames/status/1783576150012219457

genuinely not sure what's going on over there

even if you're actively contemptuous/hostile towards your player base AND want/need a quick infusion of DLC $$$ there are like a bazillion ways to do that without creating nearly this level of antagonism

it is extremely funny that they're doing this sort of completely unprompted and well-poisoning own-goal when the game itself is in a great state and they've had a succession of banger patches

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Outside of the obvious contempt they've always had for the people that play their games, the theories speculating that this is to help recover from the bath they took developing arena for it to flop make a lot of sense.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Do people play Arena?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Was hoping to get into the SPT discord before their website gets nuked, but it’s already locked down.