Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Thanks all on the advice re: animals. I think the big issues were underestimating scale and letting the animals eat it while it was growing. I'll swap out the haygrass for dandelions, make a huge plot of haygrass that I keep harvested, and put a stock of kibble/haygrass by the pen for feeding them during winter.

Do they eat directly from stocks/shelves or do handlers come up and feed them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GetDunked posted:

Thanks all on the advice re: animals. I think the big issues were underestimating scale and letting the animals eat it while it was growing. I'll swap out the haygrass for dandelions, make a huge plot of haygrass that I keep harvested, and put a stock of kibble/haygrass by the pen for feeding them during winter.

Do they eat directly from stocks/shelves or do handlers come up and feed them?

Put shelves in the pen and they'll eat off it themselves.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
God, the amount of components you need as mechanitor is actually ridiculous.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Wow, for the first time ever I managed to fail the Fleeing Noble noob quest. The guy spawned and a hungry wolf instantly jumped on him and ate him lol

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I didn't fail it but the other day I had one where the noble was ninety, frail, and with a bad back and the angry rabbit actually did beat him to a pulp. :lol: Luckily the empire was content enough with me loading grandpa's broken unconscious body onto the shuttle.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Broken Cog posted:

God, the amount of components you need as mechanitor is actually ridiculous.

:yeah: Im trying a mechanitor game where my starting colonist is incapable of violence and refused to recruit any more humans (until they sent kids fleeing packs of wild animals) and I could barely put together enough militors to fight the diabolus and unlock the next tier of mechanics.

Stupid mistake there, too! That and embarking on a plains map. Now I also need fuckloads of plasteel! I've got to caravan out for it, and it'll be ages before I find any with a ground-penetrating scanner.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Sorry if this has been answered a million times but is there a mod that makes it that when I try to construct something or a roof and a tree is in the way my planter cuts it down and not my lvl0 plant guy who is doing the building? Even if that means my constructor has to wait for the planter to finish that's fine.

I've tried using this mod but it doesn't seem to work consistently, especially around roofs.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

One of my mods keeps unassigning roles from my pawns every time I load the game, cannot figure out which.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Jack Trades posted:

Kibble has 125% nutrient efficiency AND allows you to make use of meats that your colonists won't eat normally.

yeah i use kibble as ultra emergency backup from gross bugs & hay. Everyone despises it but look pal, it beats death.

--

i got a toxic atmosphere on top of the death heat, there's no animals, no way to grow anything outside, and now we're locked in anyway. Hopefully we'll grow enough rice under the grow lamps, but it's gonna be a tough one. Just got waterwheels, so if we can scrape together some material without getting cancer... I found another ancient danger and am tempted to build a covered road to it and bust it open and just run away, hopefully it will have bugs that will then overheat somehow -- maybe I can sneak in at night and steal all their food and get them to starve? If it's bots I'll prob be hosed except their precious metal bods could be valuable if they're lovely ones. Selling that early vein of steel was a bad idea after all, because now I'm metal poor and can't just walk over and get more because acid rain.

This, plus not having enough plasteel to leapfrog to the multi analyzer and then backfill all the research in one swoop is making my plan fall apart pretty hard.

Also I got floodlamps but they seem to suck and are relatively costly. Disappointed that this research doesn't apply to wall lamps, only standing ones. Considering not using floodlights at all, opinions?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the frenzy field emitter seems to persist for a while after they leave it, so if you position it somewhere your pawns go a lot they'll keep it topped up

this is good, because its a big movespeed and workspeed buff, but also bad because theyre going to go screaming apeshit places other than just near the emitter.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tesla was right posted:

:yeah: Im trying a mechanitor game where my starting colonist is incapable of violence and refused to recruit any more humans (until they sent kids fleeing packs of wild animals) and I could barely put together enough militors to fight the diabolus and unlock the next tier of mechanics.

Stupid mistake there, too! That and embarking on a plains map. Now I also need fuckloads of plasteel! I've got to caravan out for it, and it'll be ages before I find any with a ground-penetrating scanner.

Make the robots out of bioferrite. What’s the worst that could happen.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Extensive deep drilling and fabrication are requirements for any mechanitor play beyond "I slammed in a mechlink to have a couple of haulers/cleaners".

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, unnatural darkness is such a cool event.

Reasonably tense too, if you don't have flares

Edit: Do Mechanitor bosses get stronger every time you summon them, or is it time/wealth based like other threats?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 26, 2024

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Do Mechanitor bosses get stronger every time you summon them, or is it time/wealth based like other threats?

Mech bosses completely ignore wealth, all that matters is how often you’ve summoned them. They also stop getting harder after a number of summons.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Spoiler for one the Anomaly entities.

I just unleashed the pain sphere on a raid, dear God how are you meant to stop this thing if you have to fight it?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
question: what does efficient lighting actually do? It does let you change colors, but besides that?

Because it doesn't appear to actually decrease the cost of lights at all, and it doesn't seem to decrease the power usage of lights. What it does seem to do, or at least what i'm now paying attention to, is that it seems to extend the brightness radius of lights, including grow lights. It's only by a few tiles, but that's a big loving difference in area. According to what i'm seeing it adds like 20 tiles to each sun lamp, 5 per side. Or I was just wasting these like a dumbass?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it lowers the power req of every light iirc
e: honestly I've never looked :shrug:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yep, it passively halves the power requirement for every light fixture. For such a cheap research, that's not too bad, considering how important light has become with Anomaly.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Mechanitors are surprisingly useful in Anomaly. I just had the unnatural darkness in my mountain hideout, but the mechs had no issue harvesting nutrifungus. Tunneler mechs are great damage sponges thanks to their armour, while I can set everything around them on fire. If The Thing comes for a visit, the mechs are unaffected.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, Mechanitor seems really good for Anomaly stuff, and is just really fun in general. Strongly recommend people try a run with it if they haven't already.

Just don't bother making Pikemen, wait for Lancers.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I decided to play a tribal start with High Life and no other memes, in a boreal biome. After a cold snap wiped out my weed crop and the two joiners I accepted really sucked, I just said gently caress it, took a few thousand units of pemmican, and started the hike to Charlon Whitestone. Sorry to the two assholes I left behind but without them eating my food I managed to make it almost all of the way even with a 100% size world, though mostly thanks to there being a convenient highway for a lot of the trip.

I had to settle down because I was out of food and there's a huge continent-sized desert in between me and the ship but once I have more food, research, members, and most importantly guns and devilstrand gear (and air conditioning and hydroponics because the ship is in a desert tile itself) I'm going to make the last push.

I know that even if you make the hike across the planet you still have to go through the two weeks of hell but I'm looking forward to meeting that with autobongs and yayo

edit: One of my starting members had the crash survivor background so I guess that's who Charlon was contacting

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 27, 2024

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Also in my Anomaly run, why is this allowed? :ohdear:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
That's honestly one of the easier mechanoid events, even if the sheer numbers are intimidating. Militors are extremely fragile, have absolutely terrible range, and their guns are blessedly low damage so you're not playing the Lancer Roulette where letting a couple shots go off might instantly kill someone.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
On the other hand

(From Reddit)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If your colonist bar is so big it's thinking of hitting the 2nd bar then that's a reasonable amount of chaff, yeah.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Oops! All Militors! mechanoid raids are very funny IMO.

Your best bet would probably be heavily armoured mechanoids to absorb shots and then just miniguns or explosives to take them out in droves.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm glad that the game has hyper-focused gimmick strategies because it adds some nice variety compared to the usual assortments but also they end up being a huge pain in the rear end. See also when sieges show up and every member has a sniper rifle. Or when everyone has a sword and a shield belt. A good player is prepared ahead of time and can switch things up to deal with these; I am not a good player

Speaking of weird raider gimmicks I had a bizarre raid with my tribal game where 3 enemies showed up with a smoke launcher and 2 EMP grenades. I'm honestly not where whether that's legitimately something meant to gently caress with turrets and mechs (which I had zero of) or if it was a pity raid that gave my poor weedlords some stuff to use when enemy mechanoids inevitable attack. But it was extremely weird getting a raid that made the obligatory first raid by a naked guy with a worn out knife look dangerous by comparison.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Broken Cog posted:

Yep, it passively halves the power requirement for every light fixture. For such a cheap research, that's not too bad, considering how important light has become with Anomaly.

Yeah, this is right, standing lights have gone down from 30w to 15. Wall lights have stayed from 15 to 15, which is annoying. Floodlights essentially take the place of maybe 5 standing lights so i guess they are worth it if you have an indoor stadium you're building, or at least some kind of thing you can turn off or on from a control panel. It'd be a pain in the rear end to have to run all the way out there to turn them off in the day if you had 10 of them.

Sun lamps do not match the grow zone:

Because of toxic fallout, i was like drat, better get this poo poo fixed and try to fancy up some, gonna be locked in and all this type of crap. That's when I noticed the flowers, realized the bright light region is actually bigger than what the grow zone specifies now. If I want to get max growth space out of one lamp (and I wanna avoid starvation), I'm going to have to either accept that 2 tiles in the north are going to be blocked by smooth granite, and do the rest of the commands here, extend out to get the tiles, or move down one unit to get the full zone.

I can't actually remember if it was this big before the research, but i def wasted some tile thinking the grow zone you can grab from the fixture is the same size as what is actually provided by it. It gives you much more and is way more worth it in vanilla. My plan was to use a grid of grow zones to be trees at some point, with holes in the roof, and keep livestock safe.

Really wish there was some overlay that showed current light level, like for heat.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The radius of the sun lamp increased in 1.5, there are posts on Reddit of people playing with the new size to find a new optimal packing method for hydroponics. It's not clear if it was an intentional buff or accidental due to some other back end change (I suspect it's related to general lighting changes they made for Anomaly), but the devs haven't touched it despite it being reported so it's probably here to stay.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

isndl posted:

The radius of the sun lamp increased in 1.5, there are posts on Reddit of people playing with the new size to find a new optimal packing method for hydroponics. It's not clear if it was an intentional buff or accidental due to some other back end change (I suspect it's related to general lighting changes they made for Anomaly), but the devs haven't touched it despite it being reported so it's probably here to stay.

Yeah it could be a tweak so efficiency nerds stop building hydroponic swastikas.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nothing but the best for our precious children :allears:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
I'm enjoying my second play-through with Anomaly -- restarted with the scenario tweak to have three starting colonists and one ghoul.

I've avoided most spoilers about what's in store for higher levels of anomaly activity, except for revenants, and I'm being a little paranoid with how much preparation I want to do before attuning the monolith.

I was lucky enough to get a gene pack with 'psychically deaf' from a trader, and the colony's initial nuclear reactor is almost online. After that, I think it's time for :unsmigghh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah it could be a tweak so efficiency nerds stop building hydroponic swastikas.

I honestly wish that hydroponics had a self-lit version and also were impassible, to encourage you to build more interesting layouts than "everyone has to climb over the hydroponics trays you crammed into the sunlamp space"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

isndl posted:

:doh: they should probably update the fuckin grow zone, now my poo poo's a mess and it's a huge pain in the rear end to reconfigure. I wish there was a way to just associate a set of blueprints into one standard unit and there is probably a mod that does this. Just a stencil of some kind i can use to stamp down an appropriately shaped plan, and then use to build up the walls and halls... eugh.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

:psyduck: That was asinine in the first place, you never needed to do that unless you wanted that! You could do like windmills / checkerboards / or just solid rows -- which i think i posted pics of even! The dumbass pic on the wiki can just have the four offset ones that make it look most like a swastika shoved inwards and put your support pylons in the outer rim.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I remember some goon coming in here all "hydroponics have to be arranged to look like a swastika because that's the most efficient layout" and then three different but just as efficient layouts were immediately posted. Seemed pretty sus imo

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I build my hydroponics so that they have walking space between them and every square can be accessed by standing next to it instead of walking across them like a madman.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah I remember some goon coming in here all "hydroponics have to be arranged to look like a swastika because that's the most efficient layout" and then three different but just as efficient layouts were immediately posted. Seemed pretty sus imo

Do you have a link to the alternative layouts? I'd love to shake things up once in a while.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Flesh Forge posted:

Nothing but the best for our precious children :allears:

So kids get the good beer?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

need to make some child sized cataphract armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Torrannor posted:

So kids get the good beer?

yer drat skippy :cheers:

Broken Cog posted:

Do you have a link to the alternative layouts? I'd love to shake things up once in a while.

yeah
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2152790833